'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Horse Slaughter

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-04-25 4:07 AM
34 replies, 7466 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-03-21 1:08 PM (#39212)
Subject: Horse Slaughter

I know this is an emotional subject. Please take a moment to become informed on the current federal litigation and legislation. There are 3 horse slaughter plants operating in the US; they are operating under a "fee for service" plan with the USDA inorder to have inspections. The USDA inspectors are paid $43.64 per hour by the slaughter plants to provide the inspections.

A group of humane organizations have filed suit against the Secretary of Agriculture challenging the "fee for service" plan. This is the same plan that allows for other small slaughter plants (such as emu, ostrich et cetera) to be inspected and thus operate.

Whatever your feelings on the subject, please become informed and let your legislators know what you want. Yes, I believe that slaughter is an important option. And no, I do not think the federal government is capable of appropriately managing wild horse herds. And yes, I believe that the money spend on litigation would be much better spent on animal sanctuaries. And yes, I would like to see each member of these humne groups take in 1 unwanted or disabled equine. And yes, we have taken in both and they are still here; and no, we do not go out and try to collect money from others to support that which we choose to do. It's a case of walk the walk; talk is cheap. Thanks.

Society for Animal Protective Legislation: Congress Moves to Protect America's Horses

1/25/2005 3:41:00 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: National Desk

Contact: Chris Heyde of the Society for Animal Protective Legislation, 703-836-4300

WASHINGTON, Jan. 25 /U.S. Newswire/ -- Throughout the history of this country, horses have played a valuable role. However, there is a dark side to this relationship few people know about -- the slaughter of horses for human consumption. Last year over 65,000 American horses were killed in the US to satisfy the demand for this "delicacy" in France, Italy, Belgium and Japan. The number butchered is expected to go higher following a "rider" slipped though Congress last year that will send thousands of our wild horses to their death. Two bills have been introduced in response to overwhelming public demand to protect America's horses from slaughter.

The first is the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act which will ban horse slaughter within the United States and prohibit the export of live horses for the same purpose. The bill, which last year received a majority of support in the US House of Representatives, has been reintroduced by Rep. John Sweeney (R-N.Y.) and Rep. John Spratt (D-S.C.).

The second bill (HR 297), introduced by Rep. Nick Rahall (D- W.Va.), ranking member of the House Resources Committee and Congressman Ed Whitfield (R-Ky.), will restore the Wild Free- Roaming Horse and Burro Act to its original language which prevented wild horses from being sold for slaughter.

"Wild horses running free across our Western public lands are reminiscent of the frontier era and this nation's spirit. To allow these animals to be slaughtered without exhausting all other care options is akin to condoning the death of a portion of our history. This legislation will ensure that horses sold to willing buyers are not destined for the slaughter house," said Rep. Rahall.

"Both bills reflect the urgency for swift passage, given the dramatic increase in horses slaughtered last year coupled with the almost certain influx of once federally protected wild horses this year," notes Chris Heyde, Policy analyst for the Society for Animal Protective Legislation.

The Society for Animal Protective Legislation urges concerned constituents to contact their legislators and request they cosponsor these essential bills. To learn more about the legislation and find your legislators please visit http://www.saplonline.org.

http://www.usnewswire.com/

-0-

/© 2005 U.S. Newswire 202-347-2770/
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Ride_or_bust
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-03-21 5:33 PM (#39227 - in reply to #39212)
Subject: RE: Horse Slaughter

let me first say thank you for putting on this topic i was just on my way to post it when i saw yours i am an anti-equine-slaughter-ist. i have been trying to protest it around here but nobody cares. um i strongly protest horse slaughter (obviously) the topic right now is very unstable. thanx!

mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-03-22 10:08 AM (#39302 - in reply to #39212)

Extreme Veteran

I think slaughter is a necessary evil.   I agree that if every person who was against slaughter took in two horses we wouldn't have the slaughter problem!  The reality is 80% of those against it live in major cities and do not have facilities to care for these animals.   They see shows like Houston Animal Cops on Animal Planet and think..awww...we have to save them all! 

For some slaughter is where they should be.  They are either so crippled they can not live a productive life, or they are so dangerous it would be a shame to keep them alive because of the liability involved.

I do believe in stronger regulations on horse slaughter and transporting.  But it has to start with educating those who get a horse first and foremost.  90% of those ending up at auction are because of owner ignorance.  The horses usually start out with a good life are sold to someone who is new to horses, they do not know how to feed, care, and maintain a horse properly.  They think it is cute to hand feed that foal or even an adult horse, eventually that horse starts getting nippy because it is expecting that treat, next thing you know old Dobbin is getting mighty cantankerous and they do not know how to curb this bad behavior!

The other scenario is those folks who have a foal because they want the "experience" of having a foal.  Yet they don't take the time to work with the foal, realize these cute little critters can be mighty lethal with those sharp small round hooves!   I have had a leg broken because of a weanling.  I would much rather have a 2000 pound clydes stand on my toes than have that happen ever again.

Before we ban something, we need to come up with a viable solution.  Something that is going to work permenantly.  You don't slap a bandaid on a gaping wound with bone sticking out!   In other words, banning slaughter isn't going to solve horse overpopulation and ignorance involved. 

Education is tantemount here.   Accountability on the part of the horseowner is where it starts.  If you raise foals for selling, be sure your buyer is educated on horse ownership, the joys and the pitfalls, the unexpected expenses involved.

I don't think banning slaughter is the answer. We need a solution that will work on caring for these excess horses.  Accountability...first and foremost.

mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-03-22 10:18 AM (#39304 - in reply to #39212)

Extreme Veteran

I forgot to mention that I wrote and personally spoke with my congress reps and senators.  I told them if they support anti slaughter I expect each and every one of them to go and give a home to an unwanted horse.  Want to know the reply I got back?  I don't have the time or place for keeping a horse.  Yet they want to ban slaughter.  How can you support a bill without yourself helping in the solution of the problem.  Slaughter isn't the problem, over population of horses is the problem, accountability of horse owners is the problem, not enough animal control officers, not enough rescue resources is the problem.  Slaughter is just an ends to a means.   It costs over $200 to humanely euthenize a horse and dispose of its body.  80% of all townships in the USA do not allow burial of large animals on your property.  Alot of folks do not realize this.  It has to do with underground water contamination.  You can thank the Farmers in the 70's with the dairy cow disease scare.  They planted all those dead cows in the ground and contaminated underground streams.  So now virtually in every state there are laws against it.  To have a horse removed and to be rendered is around $100-400 depending on your location.  So you see why folks send their horses to slaughter.  Instead of paying 2-700 for putting their horse down, they get paid $100-500.  That is the situation they are facing. We have 6 horses here.  We keep several thousand in the bank for emergencies in case the horses get sick, or injured.  We also have insurance for liability, surgery, if they should die.   If you can not keep a couple thousand in the bank, I personally don't think you should have  a horse.  If a horse gets hurt you are responsible by law for their care.  If you don't have the money for vet bills you don't need a horse!!!  Horses are like kids...very very expensive and a long term committment.  They are not cheap to maintain. 

Edited by mrstacticalmedic 2006-03-22 10:23 AM
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-03-22 12:39 PM (#39315 - in reply to #39227)

Expert

Originally written by Ride_or_bust on 2006-03-21 5:33 PM

let me first say thank you for putting on this topic i was just on my way to post it when i saw yours i am an anti-equine-slaughter-ist. i have been trying to protest it around here but nobody cares. um i strongly protest horse slaughter (obviously) the topic right now is very unstable. thanx!

I have seen more than one horse that NEEDS to be on a plate in France. Due to us overbreeding there is a real problem with to many horses right now, what do you suppose we should do about it. And would everybody quit turning worthless horses into Broodmares and Studs.

appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-03-22 1:19 PM (#39318 - in reply to #39212)

Veteran

I see both sides, but here is a link with a little information about the subject.
http://www.hahs.org/article.asp?articleID=00150
Ride_or_bust
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-03-22 8:16 PM (#39337 - in reply to #39212)

Very true. this is a true debate also because if we ban horse slaughter there will be longer rides in those unhumane semi-stock trailers to places like mexico and canada. and be in mind though that NOT all horses are unhumane...90% of horses slaughtered for humane consumption are young,healthy, sound horses (http://www.stopslaughter.com/).. but hey what do i know? im always learning!
sunnyarizona
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-03-24 4:47 PM (#39467 - in reply to #39212)

Regular

Thank you Ride or Bust. Onward thru the fog.
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-03-25 9:41 AM (#39493 - in reply to #39212)

Extreme Veteran

As HW asked...what kind of solution will you have in place if slaughter is banned?  Slaughter isn't the problem..over population is.  I disagree that 90% are sound young horses going to slaughter.  Young horsemeat is not as tender as the older horsemeat.  Look up the USDA information on it.  Those antislaughter and HSUS sites only show you want they want you to see, they want bleeding hearts.  They don't show the Whole Picture!   Again, for those against slaughter round up your buddies and buy those horses from the slaughter pens if you want to save them.  Or...find a solution and have Bob Barker do a spay or geld your horse today and help reduce the equine population.  Even if a horse has impeccible bloodlines, it may not have impeccible conformation.  More folks need to sell their horses with restricted registration papers.  You can do this!  You can sell them as a registered horse with no pedigree, which means they get a registered horse, but they will not be able to register the progeny of this horse.   If more folks did this with their horses we wouldn't have the over population.  It is a culmination of factors.  Slaughter is just an ends to a means.  The real problem is over breeding.  The next time someone is ooohing and ahhhing over a newborn foal tell them congratulations on aiding in the overpopulation of equines!

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-03-25 11:52 PM (#39513 - in reply to #39212)

Elite Veteran

There are some occasions where animals have to be euthanized, but slaughter is not necessary! I would no more slaughter a horse than a human! Let those frenchmen eat cake or dirt!!! or raise and kill their own animals,or better yet each other.

This crazy gov't slips more bills through undetected than we ever want to know about...it makes me rabid.

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-03-26 6:39 AM (#39515 - in reply to #39212)

Expert

I'm in favor of slaughter.Think need more plants to ease the transport problem.Empty the BLM holding yards etc.Those are NOT mustangs but feral horses.The Aussies shoot feral horses from helicopters and then dispose of.Lots of over population of crippled(mentaly and physicaly)poorly bred animals out there.I talked to a real bottom of the barrel horse trader a while back.He buys what the OTHER horse traders don't want.He commented that lots of them HE dosen't want  eaither!
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-03-26 8:52 AM (#39519 - in reply to #39212)

Extreme Veteran

Calamity... Do you have a better solution for the overpopulation?  Horse rescues are already inundated with more than they can handle, who is going to take care of the additional excess horses?  Are you prepared to pay for the euthenasia of all of them or should it fall on the taxpayers hands? 

Are you prepared to take in every left over horse?  I have only read the rhetoric of ending the slaughter, but have not read one single solution to the problem.  What is going to happen to the excess horses?  Who is going to care for them?  Who is going to be held responsible?  Our government is shorthanded on local authorities and their budgets are stretched thin as it is due to tax cuts and budget cuts. 

As for the French being the majority importing the horsemeat...guess again.  It is the Japanese, the Koreans are a close second, then China, France is way low on the list of importing it in. 

I suppose you have never eaten a hamburger or hotdog, nor wore leather shoes, heaven forbid if you ride in a SADDLE!  Did you know that some saddles are actually made out of horsehide...gasp!  I bet you could not tell the difference!   There are ALOT of items you use everyday that have something horse in them.   Horse slaughter isn't just for meat my dear.  Cleaners, clothing items, purses, shoes, and other things utilize horse parts. 

So before you say No to horseslaughter think about the BIG picture.  Ending slaughter isn't the solution to an end of suffering for horses.  Holding horseowners responsible is, but who is willing to pay for higher taxes to enforce the laws?  Are you willing to geld your stallion, spay your mare, or even sell your mares foal with a limited registration so that its offspring can't be registered?   You can show a horse with limited registration, you just can not register any of its progeny. 

Show me the solution to the problem.  Tell me what the plan is for the excess horses if slaughter is permenantly done away with.  Until someone can show me a feasible plan, I will continue to support slaughter.  I would rather see a horse go that way then die of neglect.

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-03-26 9:19 AM (#39524 - in reply to #39212)

Expert

I could give a hoot who does or does not eat them.If someone wants to dine on Trigger thats their perogative.Lobsters are just a BIG bug.I like them fine.I just wish folkes would STOP calling feral horses MUSTANGS.There are Mustangs and there is just plain wild mutts who's ROOTS got a jump start during the great Depression and Dust bowl era.
Ride_or_bust
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-03-26 9:38 AM (#39525 - in reply to #39212)

have you guys even SEEN how they slaughter those animals??? its absolutly FRIGHTENING! here go here and you can see all the horror (contains graphic material) www.horsekillers.com its terrible. after you watch them THEN you tell me that you want your best friend tortured like that then finally want him/her in the chute with the bolt in the head STILL alive and beating then dead on a plate.

mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-03-26 9:49 AM (#39528 - in reply to #39212)

Extreme Veteran

Ride or bust,

Are you sure that is recent footage and not something from like ten years ago?  Have you authenticated it?  There is so much folks can do digitally now to make things look horrific.  Unless you have actually been to a facility in operation recently I wouldn't go by what you see in those propaganda sites.  I have been to a slaughter plant.  All animals will twitch, run around, etc after being plugged.  Humans do the same thing when they die.  You don't just slump over when you die, I am an EMT.  Trust me I have seen folks and animals die in front of me.  Your body convulses, muscles contract then stiffen.  I have seen animals die much more horrificly from starvation and neglect. As an EMT I have gone into some homes of some very affluent people and their animals are starving, their "show horses" can barely stand up they are so undernourished.  They starve their studs to keep them manageable then fatten them up right before a show.  Is that humane?  So tell me what the solution is if you want to ban slaughter. I am still waiting on the solution to the excess horse issue.

Ride_or_bust
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-03-26 9:57 AM (#39529 - in reply to #39212)

Not sayin it humane or anything to that stud issue. and the over population nobody will listen because all they need to do is geld there studs and adopt if at all possible. no i have gotten those videos off of that same site i have no connect. and no they have to keep them twitching and heart beating after they are captive bolted to get the blood out of the muscles or so ive read.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-03-26 10:30 AM (#39531 - in reply to #39212)

Expert

It looks terrible BUT its the same with chickens,cows,goats,pigs etc.happens everday all around the world if you want to eat meat.
Ride_or_bust
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-03-26 10:35 AM (#39533 - in reply to #39212)

Yes but difference.. we eat chickens, cows, pigs.. etc. EVERYDAY in the united states.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-03-26 12:49 PM (#39543 - in reply to #39533)

Expert

It's not different. 

There are places where it is taboo to eat certain animals and some that will eat anything that moves.  Horses, pigs, chicken, goats, cats, dogs, rats... they are all on the menu somewhere.  That doesn't mean it wrong just because its different. 

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-03-26 1:38 PM (#39549 - in reply to #39212)

To Calamity: Horsemeat used to be sold in the US; some people ate it, some cooked it for dog food. If you do not want to slaughter your horse, that is fine, and you can keep him til he dies of old age and then pay for a burial plot for him. That is your perogative; but just because that is what you do, do not demand that others do the same.

As I mentioned before, take in a couple of handicapped or unwanted horses and then come back and talk. But don't ask others to pay for your charity; in other words, put your money ....

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-03-27 8:09 AM (#39580 - in reply to #39549)

Elite Veteran

thank you. I DO put my $ where my mouth is and I'm blessed to have some to put there... I DO have a plot to bury mine and a backhoe to dig it with...

I think the solution is simple... stop the backyard breeders/dreamers that crank out the crap(so-called horses) and dilute the quality of the horse population! of course, THEY are also the ones diluting the quality of the human population and taking this country to hell in a hand-basket...because they are so simple... go on... eat Trigger... sorry I ranted, just had to put a favorite dog down and feeling a little too sensitive.

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-03-27 12:49 PM (#39605 - in reply to #39212)

Expert

Hey were ALL animal lovers here.If you live a long life you'll put down many.I know I have with more to come if I'm around long enough.There is also reality.Even the NICEST most well bred animals(and people)produce sub quality.They USE to disappear at the lower grade sales.Not any more since the NEW AGE.Old breeders of inferior puppies did away with them and did not tell anybody now some of them won't MORE MONEY for them then really good ones.(white Boxers,Boston type Danes, Creme qtr horses) etc.Much less ones with worse physical defects.
Ride_or_bust
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-03-27 8:08 PM (#39626 - in reply to #39212)

i heard that horsemeat is still sold in the Ny,NY anybody know if that is tru?
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-03-28 8:50 AM (#39636 - in reply to #39212)

Extreme Veteran

Calamity,

Not everyone has property that is zoned where you can "bury" your horse.  In Michigan if you get caught it is not just a local offense, but it can also be a Federal offense as they are now finding buried animals contaminate water sources.  So I would make some calls before you plant your beloved horse!  If a neighbor see's you do it and you didn't check on the zoning ordnances etc, you could be in a world of hurt financially.

It doesn't matter how many acres you have, it is all about the underground water sources.  The EPA is really cracking down on farmers, ranchers, kennels, etc.  So I would double check with your local gov't first. 

As for it being "backyard" breeders supplying the crap horses, that is baloney.  They may be 2% of the whole picture.  It is the big name breeders.  The big winning studs who will breed to any mare that has the $$$$$$$.  I know it is done because I know of a gal in Ohio who has a big name Paint Stallion.  She was breeding him to Walkers, Morgans, Arabs, Draft mares, grade mares.  If you had the $$$$ you got your mare covered.   

It is about everyone who places a bet at the race trackis.  Supply and demand.  It is about draft mares being bred to TB or Hanovarian studs so that you can get a "show jumper or dressage prospect".  It is about the standardbred breeders who throw a stud out with a band of mares so they have race prospects.

It is about those folks who think it would be cute to have a foal grow up with their kid.

It is about the unethical horseowners who sell a horse to people who are new to horses and don't know squat.  Instead of asking "key" questions and verifying they will have someone working with them, they just let them buy the horse.

It is about Rodeo Stock contractors breeding bucking stock, then when the horse doesn't buck anymore they end up at the auction. 

So you see...it is not about small time breeders, but a culmination of issues.  Are you feeling like you are Don Quixote...running at a windmill with a broomstick?  You can't sweep up and clean up all this mess by ending slaughter.  You will see more horses suffer from neglect or be on long hauls to Canada or Mexico. 

There will always be supply and demand when it comes to showing, racing, rodeos, etc.  So it doesn't do any good to point a finger at one small minute group and say they are responsible...that is just plain ignorant.

Do your research before blaming one small group.  I don't mind a debate, but at least do some studying before bringing your arguement to the table. 

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-03-28 9:15 AM (#39640 - in reply to #39212)

Expert

Excellant point!  I has a situation two years ago when the trainer that had my Tobi Walking stud said that someone saw here working him on a dirt road brought a mare to her wanting to bred to him.Turned out it was a $400 Qtr "TYPE" mare that HE went and bougfht AFTER seeing my stud! Long story short I brought studly back home and the following spring two guys came down my drive.They owned chicken houses and the one driving said I bred to your stud last year and showed me a photo of a common looking bay mare with a tobi baby gaiting by her side.Then he told me my stud was the best looking thing he had EVER seen.(like his opinion really mattered)and wanted to bred her BACK. I was nice but explained I had REALLY frowned on the breeding to start with cause of the obvious and tried NICELY to sell him a quality TWHBEA mare(had several)bred to my stud.Explained about quality stock and IF he was going to keep up a horse do it with something that at least would be registered etc.HE got offended.OH WELL! I even at LEAST mentioned to at min.bred his QTR type mare to my Driftwood x Freckles QTR STUD.He got peeved and left.His Bddy kept knodding his head in aggrement and said 'I" understand but I don't think my friend who owns the mare does.

Edited by hounddog 2006-03-28 5:28 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)