'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Space Savers - Show off your ideas

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-04-05 8:31 PM
45 replies, 13935 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

qhgirl
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-03-15 10:41 AM (#38867)
Subject: Space Savers - Show off your ideas

Veteran

We all know that we have Horse Trailers in common... lets show off your proud accomplishments of space saving ideas.

You can describe and or post pictures of the space saving parts of your trailer.

Examples - Does your bench convert to a bed?  Does your TV roll back into storage?  Do you find it useful to use "plastic totes" for storage?  Mount an aluminum box to the underneath of the neck to store your hose and extension cables in?  Do you use the "hanging Space savers" and or muck tubs?

Come one.. give us your thoughts, ideas and comments!  This can also be used as a great "educational tool" for others also!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
diamond_j
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-03-15 4:35 PM (#38878 - in reply to #38867)
Subject: RE: Space Savers - Show off your ideas

Regular

Not a "space saver" but a handy tip. I use the Dawn direct foam stuff in the trailer. It's designed to wash dishes with less water and it worked good for me!

I'm always struggling when washing dishes in the trailer. (well, washing dishes anywhere really)36
pegasus
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-03-15 5:30 PM (#38881 - in reply to #38867)

Regular

A few ideas.....tension bars from an RV supplier will hold stuff on the shelves and in place in the cupboards.  They are cheap and keep the containers from shifting around.  Stackable plastic shelves from Wally World doubled the capacity in my cupboards. A hanging canvas sweater holder, also from WW ($10), hangs on the tension-bar clothes rod behind the toilet, has 6 spaces and holds towels, clothes, helmet, etc. very well.

I removed the door to the bathroom and replaced it with a floor-length curtain, which is only closed for privacy.  This made the LQ seem much less cramped. (my layout is you walk through the bathroom, toilet and storage on the curb side and shower on the driver side, and then through a door to the first stall)  That bathroom door opened into the LQ and was a real nuisance.

j&j
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-03-15 7:50 PM (#38891 - in reply to #38867)

Veteran

When camping, instead of a muck bucket, I use a plastic toboggan to haul manure away. Fits into a narrow space and does good job with the manure.

j&j
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-03-15 8:49 PM (#38892 - in reply to #38867)

Elite Veteran

I have a wood frame/upholstered seat chair. The upholstered top comes off, porta-potty sits on the platform on the frame. Has enough space around portapotty for TP and other small items. With seat on, have a place to sit and put boots on, have "shelf" for stacking hat boxes etc. By night, take off the lid and the porta-potty is standard toilet height. I have a 2' shortwall, so this fits right against that and is approximately the same width.

For shows I like those collapsible leaf bags in place of manure buckets and a rolling tool box for tack to take to the stall. Sturdy enough to stand on when banding manes, center section removes if you just want the brushes and combs, tall enough for shampoos and fly sprays, clipper box, etc. Aluminum fold-up cart has been worth its weight in gold. Chains under trailer work great for holding hangers if you have to wash a show shirt, dries overnight.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-03-15 9:42 PM (#38893 - in reply to #38867)

Expert

Hey I like this thread.  I'm some what new to LQ and looking for better ideas.

I bought a small microwave. It came with a George Forman grill as a bonus.  I have used that little grill a lot.  It's faster to plug it and cook a chicken breast, fish fillet, or a burger than I could ever do on the gas stove. As long as I'm not cooking for a bunch of folks. It's small and drops into my boot box. I keep my generator in the pickup bed and usually set up the grill on the tail gate, No smoke or mess in the trailer.

My upper cabinet can be made into a bunk bed. As such it has no dividers. So I put everything in Rubbemaid containers. Clear so I can see what's inside. One for utensils, for for spices etc.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-03-15 10:35 PM (#38896 - in reply to #38892)

Expert

Terri S,  do you have any pictures of that?  My current trailer has a 2ft shortwall and I haven't started working on it yet.  Gotta get the roof sealed first.
qhgirl
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-03-16 8:12 AM (#38899 - in reply to #38867)

Veteran

These are all great ideas!   Thanks everyone keep them coming!

I love my collapable trash can, pops up when we get camping and fold small when we pack up.  Tack stores have them, so do wal-mart and such in the clothes hamper section!  :

Didn't even think of the georgeforman grill type thing.  Great idea.  Also about the tension rods holding stuff in place from falling off.  OH and the sled for manure... all great ideas!  :)

One thing I saw at a trail ride was a person who had a muck cart, had 2 muck tubs, one was clean and one was for waste.  They would go fill up the clean one with water, and roll it back to the campsite to fill buckets from that.  It was so convienent. 

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-03-16 9:23 AM (#38903 - in reply to #38896)

Elite Veteran

I'll take some this weekend and forward.
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-03-16 11:10 AM (#38905 - in reply to #38867)

Elite Veteran

I only have a 2H BP but I camp alot with it and keep most of my camping gear in it during camping season.

I had various racks, bars, etc installed high up to get stuff off the floor.  8 hook bridle rack holds bridles, halters, lead rope, girths, tie-out ropes, helmets, etc.  A bar across the slant area holds pommel packs, hay bags, saddle bags, etc.  Inside the saddlebags & hay bags I put t.o. wraps, etc

2 blanket bars hold saddle pads & body blankets and one swinging one holds some more.

I put in D-rings all around so stuff that is stored on the floor (tables, fence poles, buckets, water containers, fence tape, folding chairs, etc) can be tied back with bungees so it doesn't move around while driving.  I have a plastic 7 shelf storage unit that holds paper goods, utencils, cooking pans, towels, 1st aide stuff, etc 

I have a couple folding aluminum tables got a Wal-mart that I love.  They fold flat and are great for setting up beside your camp chair and for sitting drinks and snacks on.

Got a folding marine cart that is great for hauling manure or water buckets around.

Thanks everyone for all your ideas.

milliecat
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-03-17 5:05 AM (#38942 - in reply to #38867)

I love those door hanging shoe bags!  I have a clear plastic one on my rear trailer door (hung up on the window bars with velcro).  I keep all my brushes, tapes, picks... in this.  Easy to see what I need thru the clear plastic.

Also, in my tiny wkend GN, I have a cloth shoe bag that I cut to fit on the inside of a cabinet door using heavy duty velcro.  Great for holding all sorts of things and a real space saver.

Got a real cheapie full length mirror at Target.  Painted the plastic frame to match my "decor" and hung on the wall with velcro.

One of my mother's great phrases of wisdom... "velcro is your friend"

Anyone know where I can get one of those fold down carts for hauling muck buckets?

Thanks!

Broken Bit
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-03-17 6:02 AM (#38944 - in reply to #38867)

Veteran

Milliecat,

Does the cart HAVE to be held in the collapsed position with velcro??lol

milliecat
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-03-17 7:07 AM (#38949 - in reply to #38867)

What else ya gonna do with a 3 1/2ft sw! LOL! 
qhgirl
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-03-17 8:00 AM (#38950 - in reply to #38867)

Veteran

Between Velcro and Bungies!  :

I can just see it now... velcro stuck to the roof, holding brushes, leadropes, etc.. :)  A Finished LQ area with Velcro walls!  :

CTR Rider
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-03-17 10:23 PM (#39000 - in reply to #38867)

Veteran

Have to agree about the Velcro. This year I discovered the "industrial strength" velcro... WOW It is so much better. I also like the heavy duty Command hooks for hanging things on the tack room wall. I tried the Snap Hooks (suction type) but the temperature fluctuation does them in. THe jumbo size (2.5 gallon) Hefty OneZip bags are great for storing horse blankets. My trailer is my tack room, so all blankets are kept in the trailer. I can get one blanket in those big bags and it keeps them neat and organized.
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-03-18 11:03 PM (#39044 - in reply to #38867)

Extreme Veteran

Milliecat - I bought my fold down muck cart at a Farm & Home store.  I just love it!  It's also made to carry bales of hay.  It's great to take on trips to help haul your hay from your campsite to the stall.  My friends use it to fill a clean muck bucket with water for their horses.

Couple of ideas from friends;  have one that'll uses a large Miracle Whip jar to keep spoons, forks, & knives.  Have another ones that uses a large tool box and keeps utensils you'd use to cook with & spices.  Same with emergency kit for horses.

When on trips I like to take a small steel garbage can w/lid to haul grain in.  It's small enough that it fits inside my muck bucket or if it's raining, I set my muck bucket over it. 

In my tack area I've set the portable hangers within the ones in the trailer and it give me twice the hanging space.  I sometimes use dog collars to hang things with too.

I have a two horse trailer so don't have an extra stall to store hay in.  Don't always like to put hay in the bed of the truck in case it rains.  I like to use hay bag covers so I can put them in the living quarter area while traveling and not have a mess. (Learned the trick to putting hay in them is to pull the cover over the bale first then roll over and zip up) Then I take the out the hay and store under awning or nose of gooseneck.  I've seen some make a skirt to put around the GN nose to use for storage.

I've stored my plexi-glass slats under the mattress.  I use a folding box to haul food or dirty clothes, it'll fold flat when not in use.  I also like the fold down tables you can get at Wal-Mart.

horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-03-19 9:37 AM (#39053 - in reply to #38867)

Extreme Veteran

When feeding this morning thought of another tip not really related the space saving.  Old feed bags make a great way to haul your firewood if you have the heavy plastic type and it helps keep it dry.  Also like to use old feed bags to put my used baler twine in and when the bag gets full, I throw in the burn pile.

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-03-19 11:23 PM (#39089 - in reply to #38867)

Elite Veteran

I bought a 45 gallon storage tote with wheels on the bottom to put my hay in. I usually only take one horse and most of our shows are one day. It will hold almost a full bale of hay and is usually plenty to get me through the weekend. Sits in back of truck on way out, usually put it in the dressing room on the way home as it is light enough and the wind has been known to suck things out of the bed of my truck.

Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-03-21 8:44 PM (#39242 - in reply to #38867)

Extreme Veteran

hhmmm... I use those plastic coated wire racks that screw on to the back of the closet door. (pic in album)
I do rely on a folding luggage carrier to haul hay, etc; for example the Lazy E in Guthrie or the fairgrounds in OKC where the arena is 6354365498 miles form the RV parking.
brisco
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-03-21 9:19 PM (#39245 - in reply to #38867)
Subject: space savers- show off your ideas

Regular

I like this thread.  You have some very good ideas everyone!  I recently purchased a new 3-h combo and plan to camp without the luxury of lq of any sort this year.  In the past, I have camped with my old 2-h, setting up a cot and potty inside the trailer once the horse(s) were settled on the picket line. My new trailer has a bit more room and a small dressing area, but I am still ruffing it.  Do you think it is somewhat easy to hang some canvas or similar material inside the trailer for privacy & comfort to serve as a "tent"?  Unroll the area rug, set up a small table, cot and potty and presto . . . home sweet home!

I intend to buy plexiglass for the openings, but how does someone install it?  Does it need to be framed somehow?  I fear I am dreadfully dumb about this particular thing . . . .

I found shower organizers at a dollar store that I believe will hang on the back of the rear-tack door - mesh with large pockets. 

Any tips for storing rakes, shovels, forks?

Elaine

inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-03-21 11:22 PM (#39258 - in reply to #38867)

Veteran

Milliecat

Go to the Hoosier Horse Fair next weekend and I'm sure you'll find one there.

inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-03-21 11:38 PM (#39259 - in reply to #38867)

Veteran

OK I haven't read everything yet, just printed it off, so if I repeat Sorry. I use one of the pop-up hampers for dirty clothes and towels. It will fold right up when I get home and empty it, no space used to store it.  Also, I use a electric water kettle to heat water for dishes, hot drinks, ect... I don't use all the water in my water heater and its faster. I found one at Target that was in the clearence rack. They are a little salty, but if you find one marked down...Mine has a little window so I can see how much water is still in it.

I use SmartPaks for my supplements. These are great as I count how many days I'm going to be gone, grab that many and go. No baggies!!

I use a small garden cart for my manure hauling. Just hose it out when I'm packing to go home and my feed tubs and water buckets all fit down in it. I also use hay bale covers.

I Dutch Oven cook so I have a table that I use so I don't have to cook bent over. Holds two ovens side by side.

I have more things but I will have to think about what all I do have! OH I have an oven that fits on my Coleman stove. Real handy.

More to come........

paintthatain't
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-03-21 11:43 PM (#39260 - in reply to #39245)
Subject: RE: space savers- show off your ideas

Regular

You can go to the dollar store and pick up those broom holders that screw onto the wall. The handle snaps in and they hold up pretty good for about .50 a piece.
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-03-22 7:45 AM (#39283 - in reply to #38867)

Elite Veteran

Love this thread

I have 2 bale bags that I keep the hay in and the vinyl ones are pretty waterproof.  They can ride in the back of the truck, but be careful once you used the hay.  If there isn't at least a half bale, I bugee it to something.  I learned the hard way.  I had put my 2nd bale bag in one that had hay and it sailed out of the back of the truck while driving home.... 

I have a feed bag that has a vacuum type top - it holds 50 lbs of feed.  I also keep the scoop and any supplements in it and just scoop out the feed each time. 

gus
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-03-22 8:05 AM (#39286 - in reply to #38867)

Veteran

we take ziplock bags and put one feeding in each bag then put them in a plastic tote warte proff and rat and what ever
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)