'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
WARNING TO ALL! Put a watermark on your trailer photos!

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-04-10 8:32 PM
26 replies, 6456 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-02-05 2:44 PM (#36583)
Subject: WARNING TO ALL! Put a watermark on your trailer photos!

Extreme Veteran

A friend of mine had photos of her trailer copied and used on ebay as a scam.  She did not have a water mark or something to deter scammers from stealing her photos.   The listing has since been pulled, but I see photos on there now that looked familiar like I had seen those photo's on here at one point.  Here is the latest listing I have seen on there that is a clear scam.  You would not believe the people who do fall for these idiots, thinking they are getting a deal of a lifetime.  I used to laugh at this stuff, but after my friends photo's were used, I am not laughing any more!  http://cgi.ebay.com/2002-FOUR-STAR-HORSE-TRAILER-3-HORSE-10-LIV-QRTRS_W0QQitemZ7217230299QQcategoryZ3157QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you have trailers listed here or on any other site, put a copyright mark of some type on your photo and resubmit onto your ad!  Just a suggestion.  This will help cut down on scammers.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-02-05 3:08 PM (#36585 - in reply to #36583)
Subject: RE: WARNING TO ALL! Put a watermark on your trailer photos!

Expert

Well you can sure tell that is not a person who has any idea of the trailers value. $5800 buy it now price.

So what would you "watermark" that photo with to prove that it's yours and not Johnystewarts? I think any photo is fair game for them.  It's a buyer's beware market on ebay and other online auctions.

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-02-05 4:15 PM (#36587 - in reply to #36583)

Expert

That's the complaint I have about tagging all individual adds on here with the "I might be a scam artist" I don't like it at all, there are many ways to tell a scam(common sense being the first) without making a whole group of people look like crooks.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-02-05 6:38 PM (#36591 - in reply to #36583)

That ad has been pulled but look at item number 7217317757
Its a 4 Star 3 horse with 10'lq for buy it now price of 5800. There is a photo which show a tag but I can't read the tag. I guess ebay pulled the ad and the scammer just re entered the bogus stuff. Wonder where the photos were taken from? I've noticed a lot of dealers putting "not sold on ebay" on their trailer photos. Seems like a good idea.
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-05 8:28 PM (#36597 - in reply to #36583)

Extreme Veteran

And why would it be a big deal if they stole your pictures? You have the trailer or saddle not the scammin' seller....so I dont' see the big deal? They are complete idiots to even try that and there are idiots who bid on this stuff!!! Clearly if you know what the trailer market is and you see a $75K trailer on Ebay with a Buy it Now price of $5800...oh come on !!! Ridiculous!!! Those kind of sellers on Ebay have no common sense, none, nada , zip....
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-02-05 10:04 PM (#36599 - in reply to #36583)

Thought you all might enjoy this reply to my email about the 4 Star trailer: I agree that no one should fall for this:

First I will like to tell you that I am in United Kingdom and the trailer it is stored at ebay warehouse in San Jose , CA , the trailer will be shipped from there on my expence .

The trailer is like new , in perfect condition . I am selling this trailer because the shipping to Europe will cost me to much and second reason I don't need this trailer in London because I don't have hourses.I have this trailer from my father in low who is no longer ... .The Buy it now price is $5800 . The trailer have a clear title and the title it will be shipped with the trailer .

Terms & Conditions Shipping and handling:

The shipping address must be provided before sending the payment. The trailer will be shipped trough DAS Shipping Company . The trailer will only be sent after receiving the payment. I agreed with eBay to send my trailer to its warehouse since I am not in US .
This way, both sides (seller and buyer) are insured by eBay.

Payment:
If you will offer t he buy it now price I will suport all the shipping from San Jose to your address .

I will start the shipping after I will receive one deposit of 50% ($2900) . You will send the banalce in one week after you will receive the trailer

The payment method wich I prefer for payment is Western Union Money Transfer because is the fastas way to receive money I know . For more info please go at www.westernunion.com
Western Union procedures are simple, to arange the %50 deposit all you have to do is to go to any agent and make the transfer to the name and address i'll provide you with.
Here are my name and address you need for the payment in case you decide to buy the trailer :

John Stewart

156A SOUTHAMPTON ROW
LONDON , WC1B 5AR , UK

The trailer is ready for shipment, i just need your payment confirmation from Western Union with the transfer's details and the trailer will be delivered to your address.

REFUND-After the trailer arrives, you have an 7 days period for inspection. If the trailer is different than the way i've described it, 100% refund - transfer fees and the trailer will be shipped back to San Jose, CA on my expence. Anyway, i don't think it will be necesary, you'll love this trailer from very first moment you'll see it.
Buy with confidence!

I will have pay for an insurance to eBay as proof my trustworthiness.
Thanks for the conceded time

I am looking forward to your reply.
John Stewart

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-02-06 4:44 AM (#36601 - in reply to #36583)

Expert

That is my whole complaint about he disclaimer on the individual ads here. My add has to have a disclaimer that "I may be a scam" to protect you from people like that. If you are so dumb to fall for that add you should loose your money, and you probley aren't smart enough to have made it to begin with. I'm so tired of having to protect the stupid!!!!! How will they ever learn anything.
DaveM
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2006-02-06 8:11 AM (#36606 - in reply to #36587)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by HWBar on 2006-02-05 4:15 PM

That's the complaint I have about tagging all individual adds on here with the "I might be a scam artist" I don't like it at all, there are many ways to tell a scam(common sense being the first) without making a whole group of people look like crooks.

I hate putting the tag dislaimer on the individual ads too.  I also hate pulling off my cowboy boots at the airport and watching 80 year old grandmothers doing the same. 

On the other hand . . . we were getting fake ads at the rate of one a week, and yes, I recieved calls from people asking me what to do after they had gotten taken.  We racked our brains trying to think of ways to both discourage scammers and protect individual buyers.  This method seems to work.  We get one bad ad every several months or so.  That's all.   And I have not gotten any messages from anyone being taken for over a year.

By the way.  The scammers ARE getting a bit better, some are asking $20,000 for a $40,000 trailer instead of $5800 for a $80000 trailer . . . but the real tip off is the way they write.  I've seen tons of these scams and ALL of them are written poorly (bad English, grammer and syntax). . . you can tell the difference.

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-02-06 9:27 AM (#36610 - in reply to #36583)

Expert

All I am trying to say is who are you protecting with the disclaimer, If someone is STUPID enough to send someone some money for a trailer without 1.Seeing the trailer 2.Verifying the person or trailer exist. 3. Seeing a tiltle or MFO then shame on them for being so dumb. But instead what you are doing is stating that if you are not a trailer dealer, your add might be a scam.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-02-06 10:00 AM (#36612 - in reply to #36583)

For your reading pleasure; Here is the reply to my inquiry on an ebay trailer which supposedly was located in Athens, Georgia.

The trailer is in perfect condition .I will sell the trailer to the
first buyer that will arange the deposit payment to eBay .If you are
able to make the payment today or tomorrow you will be the next owner
of this trailer.The Buy it now price is $6,400 .The title is clear
and it is already backsign by me for the transfer.I have this trailer
from my father in law and I don't have horse bussines so I want to
sell it as soon as I can. I will sell the trailer to the first one
that makes a 3,200 $ deposit through eBay .The trailer will be
shipped through JC MOTORS or DAS Shipping Company . The trailer will
only be sent after receiving the deposit payment. I agreed with eBay
to send my trailer to its warehouse since I am not in US . If you
will offer the buy it now price I will suport all the shipping from
the warehouse to your address .
For the deposit payment i would like to use eBay as a third party .
They will keep your money until you get the trailer and will release
it to me upon delivery .
REFUND-After the trailer arrives, you have a 7 days period for
inspection. If the trailer is different than the way i've described
it, 100% refund - transfer fees and the trailer will be shipped back
to the warehouse on my expence. Anyway, i don't think it will be
necesary, you'll love this trailer from very first moment you'll see
it.
Buy with confidence!
I will have pay for an insurance to eBay as proof my trustworthiness.

Send me your name with your eBay ID and eBay will inform you on how we can close
the deal..

Have a nice day!!!
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-02-06 11:05 AM (#36614 - in reply to #36583)

Expert

I'll give them a eBay I.D. number. Here's mine, S&W.357Mag. That would break up that little party. My guess is, it's some Nirobee-one-Kanobee from Ukanubastan!
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-02-06 12:45 PM (#36623 - in reply to #36583)

Expert

Scammers are not idiots. Its the people who fall for the scam that are. I mean these are not sophisicated schemes, they are pretty obvious. Free shipping-from Germany? Sending you a cashiers check for twice the selling price and you give them change? Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice.........you know.

I'd be more concerend if someone hi-jacked my user name and account on ebay to pass off a scam than using my photos. Getting good feedback takes time and work. That can be trashed pretty fast by scammer. I'd like ebay to tighten things up. If scammers are conning people with trailers, imagine what they can do wtih everything else on ebay.

Flooper
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-02-06 12:54 PM (#36625 - in reply to #36583)

Veteran

I'm sorry...you have to be a complete idiot to fall for one of these scams...they're not even done well. I don't have the slightest bit of sympathy for anyone who falls for one of these. And If you ARE that stupid, you shouldn't own horses! A fool and his money....

Edited by Flooper 2006-02-06 12:56 PM
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-02-06 2:02 PM (#36628 - in reply to #36583)

Expert

See it's not just me that feels this way!!!

You cannot stop Stupidity!!!!

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-02-06 8:16 PM (#36648 - in reply to #36583)

Expert

I have seen repeated warnings that e-bay does not have wharehouses and is strictly and internet service that I am a bit surprised that people will still take that seriously.  Well, maybe not.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-02-06 8:29 PM (#36649 - in reply to #36583)

Well, I sent each scammer the other scammer's message and haven't heard anymore. Actually I don't have an ebay id because I don't use ebay. There are too many reputable businesses on the internet to mess about bidding on stuff (imo). I like to shop for a reasonable deal and go with it. Happy Trails!
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-02-06 8:39 PM (#36651 - in reply to #36649)

Expert

There are many reputable sellers on ebay- some are private individuals like me who sell stuff we don't or can't use, others are, in fact, a business. I love using ebay for both buying and selling. Like anything else, there are good and bad buyer/sellers all over the internet. if you use your head and common sense you can protect yourself.
RideAPaint
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-02-07 8:21 PM (#36689 - in reply to #36583)

One way to be sure is to Email them, and tell them you are going to be in the area the next day. And that you would like to stop in and look at it. They'll either not respond, or give you a song and dance. They're usually pretty easy to spot. But apparently some people are gullible enough....
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-02-07 8:43 PM (#36691 - in reply to #36583)

Extreme Veteran

I would think those who get taken are probably the ones new to horses or they are parents of kid(s) who are into horses.  They probably haven't been around long enough to know the going prices on these things.  So they see a nice trailer on ebay or wherever..the price is up their alley and so they go for it.  Unfortunately for the greenhorns, they get taken and end up not just hurting themselves, but their kids because now they just blew the money they were going to use for their kids horse, etc.  Now I  scour ebay every day and as soon as I see a possible fraudulent ad I am notifying ebay.  I am a stay at home mom, so if I can prevent one person from getting snookered I will!  Guess you could call me a self made ebay vigilante..lol..  Besides, gives me something to do on these cold winter days.  Hey you guys down south...send us some warm weather up here in the northern states!!!!!! 

cascadia
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2006-02-08 4:35 PM (#36748 - in reply to #36583)

Veteran

the problem with photo rip offs is that I go to alot of trouble to take nice photos of the saddles I sell and if someone uses that photo as a scam, then my legitimate real sale might get confused with the scam.  And it just freaks me out that the saddle that is in my livingroom is represented as being for sale in Spain!  It's like the scammer used my work to steal from someone.  That bothers me.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-02-08 9:05 PM (#36762 - in reply to #36583)

mrstacticalmedic.......ebay vigilante...very good!!!!  All we can do is try to irritate, cancel out, and slow down the scammers......and hope that eventually they'll quit their bogus stuff. 
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-08 10:34 PM (#36773 - in reply to #36583)

Expert

ebay is beening sued by tiffenes over stuff that has been sold as real if they win places like ebay will have to which there ads a lot closer

Edited by loveduffy 2006-02-08 10:37 PM
paintthatain't
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-02-08 11:29 PM (#36781 - in reply to #36583)

Regular

mrstacticalmedic,

Good for you. More people like you would make the internet safer for all of us that make dumb decisions from time to time.

THANK YOU!!!!!! 

Ardly
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-02-09 7:16 AM (#36798 - in reply to #36583)

Veteran

Some folks GREED overcomes there STUPIDITY!!!!!!!!!

Shure, There may be bogus ads that trick anyone, But those that offer a $60,000 trailer for $5,800 only seems to atract the really greedy people.

Had a scam a short while back in our area where a woman claimed to have a huge sum of money on the way and was dying of an incurable desease and if you would help her out temporarily with some money to get by on for living exspences she would give you a large sum of money for your thoughtfullness as soon as she got her inheratence.The news reported that many people had been scamed and even one older couples life savings. What do you think most of there motivation to help was??????????

mdbarngirl
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-10 5:33 PM (#40215 - in reply to #36583)

New User

I have been pretending that I wanted to buy a trailer from one of these scam artists for $5800, I went so far as to pretend I have sent the money via Western Union and that it was been received by someone if not by him.

The emails he sent were exactly the same as above about the trailer being in the ebay warehouse, it was exactly the same as above, but his name was Jeff Hester. I said I had a sister in the San Jose area and asked if she could come see it. He said not possible due to "security" reasons. He said he had other buyers, it wouldn't last long. I finally pretended that I had sent $2900 deposit. Below is the last thing he sent to me. I haven't sent him an email yet telling him that I am now scamming him...The red font below is from the ebay trailer scammer!

Yes ..

Access the link from the western union site ... this transfer don't exist ... wath is that a joke .

I want you to know that I am a 55 year old man who owns his own successful business. I have been married to the same woman for 32 years and we have two grown suns who are successful in their own careers. We are all college educated. I didn't get to this stage in life by doing dumb things. My word is as good as my written signature. I want to take this opportunity to assure you that there is nothing to be worried about this deal. I would never cheat you or swindle you!! I have a reputation to protect and a good Christian and I do not want to be imprisoned. You have my word and good faith on the fact that I'll keep my end of the bargain. I have never lied and cheated anyone and I will not risk my career, my freedom and my future for anything in the world! I would rather close this deal with other person than to know that you'll be very stressed hoping that I am a honest person, until you receive your trailer. Your peace of mind is a lot more important than this deal!!! If you decide not to go through with it there is no problem. I got quite a few offers left. Please get back to me and let me know what you decide.

Thank you for your time and interest.

Whatever you decide I wish you good luck.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World