'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Assistance deciding on a new trailer

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-10-23 11:35 AM
33 replies, 10880 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

OldNo7
Reg. Oct 2013
Posted 2013-10-08 6:26 PM (#155225)
Subject: Assistance deciding on a new trailer

Hi everybody,I am going to buy a new 4H trailer this year. I currently own a 1994 S&H 16' deck stock trailer. Sold all cattle and only have horses. I do a lot of back country packing. My S&H has been around all of the Western States and on some of the roughest Forrest Service roads and California roads around. It is tough as nails.I do not need LQ. The only reason I am buying a new trailer is for a tack room. I am tired of putting saddles, pack saddles, panniers etc in the back seat and bed of truck (shortbed). I would like opinions on personal experience with different makes and models of trailer. All of the local dealers are worse than used car salesmen; you know "ours is the best, the rest are junk, they are tough, etc".I want a trailer that will not fall apart after a couple of years on California roads and can handle the rough Forrest Service roads. I know they make Stock/combo, but I would rather have dividers that I can remove. Aluminum. I have gotten over the sticker shock, but really would like honest reviews. I have looked at several manufacturers and I am not set on any particular manufacturer.Thank you.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
cutter99
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2013-10-08 7:09 PM (#155227 - in reply to #155225)
Subject: RE: Assistance deciding on a new trailer

Extreme Veteran

C & C, Elite, 4 Star, Platinum, and Hart are all built like tanks- I've looked at them personally and owned a few. Painted Horse, who posts on here, has a Logan that he swears by and it looks like a great trailer. Check out his pictures- he looks like he gets into some really tough back country. Best wishes and good luck with your trailer shopping!
trot-on
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2013-10-09 11:31 AM (#155238 - in reply to #155225)

Extreme Veteran

I have a friend with an aluminum stock trailer / bumper pull that she also hauls her horses to the local trails. Dirt/gravel road, and she started having welds crack, door latches break etc. Talked to a trailer manufacturer and they did not suggest the all aluminum for rough roads as they have seen the problems she was having. Just tossing that out there. Use the local dealers to bang around, open close dividers, check floor construction, look at welds etc. to make your own mind up. And of course look at what others users are pulling, and ask them how they like that particular trailer
OldNo7
Reg. Oct 2013
Posted 2013-10-09 12:09 PM (#155240 - in reply to #155225)

I have heard that with aluminum, that is what worries me, I can fix mine, steel, easy to weld. But, it is rust colored with white accents, after 20 years, you would expect that. I have heard that the new steel trailers are coated better to last longer, but I have not talked to anyone with a newer steel trailer.The local Featherlite dealer says, again this is the dealer, one was brought in with cracking and they replaced the trailer. He did not provide a customer name for verification.I have 9 horses, my best is my Arab/Qtr cross. I always get the comments about my Arab, but when he stands for long periods, allows me to shoot off of him, and goes where ever I ask him quiets the critics pretty quick.Thanks for the information.
Bhill
Reg. May 2013
Posted 2013-10-09 1:05 PM (#155242 - in reply to #155238)

Veteran

.... Talked to a trailer manufacturer and they did not suggest the all aluminum for rough roads as they have seen the problems she was having. Just tossing that out there.......
******So let me guess this manufacture sold steel trailers?? Most of the ranchers here in the mountain west have aluminum trailers. They pull across some of the most challenging roads anywhere.

Edited by Bhill 2013-10-09 1:08 PM
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2013-10-09 5:33 PM (#155253 - in reply to #155225)

Extreme Veteran

We have an all aluminum 2 horse, and a steel 4 horse Liv qtrs. Love them both. The Trails West steel trailer has been all over California from San Diego to near Everett Washington, and east to Nevada, and Arizona, and southern Utah. Our "Classic" 2 horse has been beat up all over the desert south west as well, and has come out like a trooper. Love them both for different reasons, and for different uses.
trot-on
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2013-10-09 8:50 PM (#155255 - in reply to #155225)

Extreme Veteran

I will add, I could always hear my friends trailer approaching on the road to the trailhead, as it sure rattled and banged. So maybe because it had the rear door that had the slide open along with swing open for cattle, and such, it was just taking a beating due to design. Which is why I really jump around and bang dividers etc when looking at trailers, to see how much it rattles, thus maybe has weak spots
Hankster1958
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2013-10-09 11:30 PM (#155259 - in reply to #155225)

Aluminum fatigues much faster than steel. Ask an aero mechanic about that. You can bend steel back and forth several times..and hammer it back out. Try it with Aluminum, and it will snap in two. Aluminum "work hardens" over time. This makes it become more "brittle". Aluminum has it's good points, but it has it's metallurgical drawbacks as well. It does make a decent, lighter weight trailer. But if you plan to REALLY abuse it... those are the facts... It can handle linear loads, There are SEMI trailers made of Aluminum, but it does NOT LIKE to be TORQUED and TWISTED.

Edited by Hankster1958 2013-10-09 11:33 PM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-10-09 11:44 PM (#155261 - in reply to #155225)

Expert

Aluminum fatigues much faster than steel. Ask an aero mechanic about that. You can bend steel back and forth several times.. try it with Aluminum, and it will snap in two. ... those are the facts... It can handle linear loads, but to does NOT LIKE to be TORQUED and TWISTED.

I guess you've never flown in an airplane, ridden in an aluminum boat, passed an OTR trailer, owned or ridden in a performance car, been aware of our space programs or noticed the hundreds of thousands of aluminum trailers built over the last few decades that continue to offer daily, reliable service. Almost all forms of transportation include aluminum construction, which is noted for its high strength, durability and higher payloads.

No, your statements are not facts, and I am a licensed aircraft mechanic familiar with aluminum construction.

Arieldouglas
Reg. Aug 2013
Posted 2013-10-10 5:13 AM (#155262 - in reply to #155261)

Veteran

Originally written by gard on 2013-10-09 11:44 PM

Aluminum fatigues much faster than steel. Ask an aero mechanic about that. You can bend steel back and forth several times.. try it with Aluminum, and it will snap in two. ... those are the facts... It can handle linear loads, but to does NOT LIKE to be TORQUED and TWISTED.

I guess you've never flown in an airplane, ridden in an aluminum boat, passed an OTR trailer, owned or ridden in a performance car, been aware of our space programs or noticed the hundreds of thousands of aluminum trailers built over the last few decades that continue to offer daily, reliable service. Almost all forms of transportation include aluminum construction, which is noted for its high strength, durability and higher payloads.

No, your statements are not facts, and I am a licensed aircraft mechanic familiar with aluminum construction.

Actually to be fair, Gard, there is is some historical basis to his "facts". In the past the statement would have been much more accurate than today. We all talk about aluminum as though it is this one thing. All the applications you mention certainly show the many and successful uses for aluminum construction but each will use a particular alloy of aluminum and other metals that metallurgist have developed over the years to serve particular purposes at a reasonable cost. You don't build space shuttle components from the same alloys you would use to build a tool box for your truck. Boats in particular, My father had a top of the line aluminum boat built in the 50's. By the 80's it was common to be repairing stress cracks in it. Now go to your local BassTracker dealer. You can actually feel the difference in the metals and the construction methods are much better today than in the past. It is the same with our trailers. Seems as though a lot of newer trailers get a bum rap because the material they are built from isn't as robust as in the past. I suspect a lot of that has to do with the improvement in available materials and better engineering.I'm willing to bet you see the same thing in your planes. The ideal for a plane design would seem to be the minimum weight and the max thrust. Don't you see lighter alloys being used? And have trouble not thinking they are just being cheap.It is the same with steel. Compare the thickness of body panels on a new car versus one built in the 50's. Yet the engineers I work with swear the modern parts are far stronger than the parts from the past.All that being said; buy the best trailer you can afford, steel or aluminum, and take care of it. It will serve you well for many years. In my part of the world stock trailers run about 50/50 steel to aluminum. Biggest advantage to the aluminum is not having to paint it. By the time you run 10 or 12 1000lb cows in there the 1500lbs you save with aluminum kinda gets lost.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-10-10 9:46 AM (#155270 - in reply to #155262)

Expert

GUILTY BY ASSOCIATION. One steel trailer rusts so all steel trailers rust. An aluminum weld breaks so all aluminum trailers will break at their welds. There are many alloys of steel and aluminum, there are many variances in the products, and as stated, each one was developed for a specific usage. To group all in a singular way, does a disservice to those products that are specifically designed and built well, and provide lengthy, trouble free service lives.

There are a multitude of reasons why one product surpasses another. These should be enumerated specifically, instead of being improperly grouped by association.

Edited by gard 2013-10-10 9:50 AM
OldNo7
Reg. Oct 2013
Posted 2013-10-10 10:32 AM (#155272 - in reply to #155225)

I appreciate all of the comments and information. I know manufacturing methods have improved. Both have pros and cons, that is why I want to hear from owners. I have been a pilot for 35 yrs and I am a Flight Instructor, I have seen the abuse GA aircraft can take, so I know aluminum. Owning a 20 yr old steel trailer, I know the abuse it can take. Like I said each has its pros and cons. Exiss, Featherlite, Cirlce J and Elite are the closet dealers to me, within 150 miles. I am comparing material thickness, welds, etc. I intend to go the each dealer and do as suggested, slam bang, etc. I understand that things will break, but will the manufacture cover them, if it happens within the first couple of years, I know what the warranties say, but what are real people experiencing. Like I said, I ride away from home at least 2-3 times a month. Again, keep throwing those comments and opinions.
Arieldouglas
Reg. Aug 2013
Posted 2013-10-10 10:56 AM (#155273 - in reply to #155270)

Veteran

Originally written by gard on 2013-10-10 9:46 AM

GUILTY BY ASSOCIATION. One steel trailer rusts so all steel trailers rust. An aluminum weld breaks so all aluminum trailers will break at their welds. There are many alloys of steel and aluminum, there are many variances in the products, and as stated, each one was developed for a specific usage. To group all in a singular way, does a disservice to those products that are specifically designed and built well, and provide lengthy, trouble free service lives.

There are a multitude of reasons why one product surpasses another. These should be enumerated specifically, instead of being improperly grouped by association.

Well Said!!
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2013-10-10 12:54 PM (#155277 - in reply to #155225)

Expert

Brian, I would order one of these, last trailer you'll ever need... They will custom build it any way you need.. 

http://www.mheby.com/product-categories/gooseneck-horse-trailers/

Eby’s aluminum chassis is the strongest super-structure in the industry. Sides and top are fastened with tough, aluminum rivets and all structural components are attached with stainless steel mechanical connectors. Latches, springs and cam latches are commercial-grade for added safety and ease of use. The result is a trailer designed to provide comfort to your horses, and long-life performance for you.

Stock Combo

Ideal for transporting horses or cattle. Built with Eby’s hallmark structural integrity, it’s available in white or mill finish side sheets. Standard and custom models available.

• Open stock, slant-load and straight-load configurations

http://www.mheby.com/where-to-buy/?sells_horse=1

Hankster1958
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2013-10-13 12:23 AM (#155309 - in reply to #155225)

""I guess you've never flown in an airplane, ridden in an aluminum boat, passed an OTR trailer, owned or ridden in a performance car, been aware of our space programs or noticed the hundreds of thousands of aluminum trailers built over the last few decades that continue to offer daily, reliable service. Almost all forms of transportation include aluminum construction, which is noted for its high strength, durability and higher payloads.""Since you're an "aero-mechanic"... explain to the crowd here what the term "Service life" means? And How it applies, to Aluminum aircraft structure.Explain to us, why the B-52 say, has undergone 8 revisions, some for modern avionics etc, but most, to correct various issues with "airframe fatigue" . Shall we discuss Aloha Airlines Flight 243? What caused that disaster? "Aluminum fatigue"? Perhaps, this article, might be enlightening ..http://www.airspacemag.com/need-to-know/NEED-lifecycles.htmlWe could go on, but I'm not picking a fight. But I will not be made out a CRACKPOT either. Anyone, can Google the topic, and find tons of info to back what i said. Aluminum is used for LOTS of things... but it's not the "do all end all" some would make out. Steel has it's failings, and so does aluminum. But, most people can, of know someone, who can weld STEEL.... with Aluminum, you need to seek a professional welder. The OP asked about use in Rough country.. well, when I see major truck builders, building 4X4's for "rough country" use with Aluminum frames and bodies etc.. I'll eat my words. Until, then, I stand by them. Over and Out.

Edited by Hankster1958 2013-10-13 12:26 AM
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2013-10-13 12:55 AM (#155310 - in reply to #155225)

Expert

Ask farmers about Eby aluminum stock trailers...they don't fail...:). Eby aluminum horse trailers are built just as tough...:)
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2013-10-13 12:58 AM (#155311 - in reply to #155309)

Expert

Originally written by Hankster1958 on 2013-10-13 12:23 AM

""I guess you've never flown in an airplane, ridden in an aluminum boat, passed an OTR trailer, owned or ridden in a performance car, been aware of our space programs or noticed the hundreds of thousands of aluminum trailers built over the last few decades that continue to offer daily, reliable service. Almost all forms of transportation include aluminum construction, which is noted for its high strength, durability and higher payloads.""Since you're an "aero-mechanic"... explain to the crowd here what the term "Service life" means? And How it applies, to Aluminum aircraft structure.Explain to us, why the B-52 say, has undergone 8 revisions, some for modern avionics etc, but most, to correct various issues with "airframe fatigue" . Shall we discuss Aloha Airlines Flight 243? What caused that disaster? "Aluminum fatigue"? Perhaps, this article, might be enlightening ..http://www.airspacemag.com/need-to-know/NEED-lifecycles.htmlWe could go on, but I'm not picking a fight. But I will not be made out a CRACKPOT either. Anyone, can Google the topic, and find tons of info to back what i said. Aluminum is used for LOTS of things... but it's not the "do all end all" some would make out. Steel has it's failings, and so does aluminum. But, most people can, of know someone, who can weld STEEL.... with Aluminum, you need to seek a professional welder. The OP asked about use in Rough country.. well, when I see major truck builders, building 4X4's for "rough country" use with Aluminum frames and bodies etc.. I'll eat my words. Until, then, I stand by them. Over and Out.
Citing a B-52??!!!...really???...the planes are older than the crews flying them...
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2013-10-13 1:01 AM (#155312 - in reply to #155225)

Expert

And the main reason for metal fatigue in commercial planes is due to the pressurization/depressuration cycles...remember the Hawaii 737 that shed part of its first class cabin? The next time I see a horse trailer for sale that has made hundreds of cycling events from sea level to 30,000 ft plus...I'll pass on the trailer...

Edited by PaulChristenson 2013-10-13 1:04 AM
Hankster1958
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2013-10-13 1:21 AM (#155313 - in reply to #155312)

The original poster was talking of SIMILAR FLEX issues, since he specifically mentioned going on ROUGH FIRE ROADS etc etc. It's the FLEXING that causes issues in Aluminum structure. It's why Commercial planes have a limited use/life. If he had said he was staying on normal pavement, it would be LESS an issue, and I'd have said nothing. But you guys seem to know it all. So all these links will be useless to you. i post em for OTHERS to learn from http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/showthread.php?24312-Question... sad isn't it. all these people must be as stupid as me! LOL!! I'm outta here... Sheesh

Edited by Hankster1958 2013-10-13 1:24 AM
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2013-10-13 4:24 AM (#155316 - in reply to #155225)

Expert

Anti-aluminum mythsAs you may have noticed, all-aluminum trailers have several advantages over steel trailers. However, some articles on the Internet have talked about the problems with owning an aluminum horse trailer. These articles have only one flaw-their facts are often manipulated. Below are some of the popular myths about all-aluminum trailers, along with the real facts.All-Aluminum trailers are as heavy as steel trailers. Aluminum is only 1/3 as strong as steel, so three times more aluminum must be used to get the equal strength of a steel frameThis would be a better argument if aluminum horse trailers were built from pure aluminum. However, the aluminum alloy used to construct horse trailers is substantially stronger than pure aluminum. More aluminum is used, but the end result is still a trailer that weighs on average 10-15 percent less than a trailer made of steel. That translates to hundreds of pounds that can be added to cargo weight-or not pulled at all.Trailer manufacturers aren't the only ones who have figured this out. Automobile and airplane manufacturers have been replacing steel with aluminum, and the majority of the NASA Space Shuttles' structures are constructed from aluminum alloys.Steel is easier to repair than aluminumNot anymore. Before aluminum became popular, more welders were familiar with welding steel and welding aluminum was another trick to learn. However, aluminum welding techniques are commonly known, and just about every welder knows how to work with aluminum. Consequently, the price has gone down as well, so the cost of getting an aluminum trailer welded is comparable to the cost of welding a steel trailer.Aluminum stresses and tears more easily than a steel trailerOkay, seriously-if aluminum is such an inferior building material, why is their resale value consistently higher than steel? Why do you rarely find a steel trailer warranty that's longer than the warranty on an aluminum trailer? For that matter, why do people who own aluminum horse trailers keep them longer on average than people who own steel horse trailers?Now, if you want to be technical, steel is stronger than aluminum in some respects. It has a higher modulus of elasticity, for instance, which means more force must be applied to steel before it starts to bend. However, aluminum flexes three times as much as steel, which means that aluminum is more likely to spring back to its original shape after being stressed. Steel though, will probably stay bent. Steel also fatigues at lower levels of stress than aluminum, and steel's rigidity makes it more vulnerable to cracking because of its brittleness.You might also be interested to know that aluminum's lower modulus of elasticity works in its favor as a construction material for trailers. A lower elastic modulus means that an all-aluminum trailer lessens impact shock loads while on the road, giving your animals a smoother ride and creating a smoother tow for your vehicle.So-called "all-aluminum" trailers have steel parts, so steel must be superiorNot even close. Yes, "all-aluminum" trailer companies will use steel in certain areas, such as the trailer's axles. However, it is not because steel is better than aluminum. Rather, steel is better than aluminum in that instance. And that's one of the main differences between most steel trailers and all-aluminum trailers. All-aluminum trailers are not above using other materials to create the best possible product. On the other hand, most steel trailer manufacturers seem to insist that steel is the best material for every aspect of the trailer, regardless of whether or not another material might actually do a better job. It's like a plastic company insisting that a sheet of plastic wrap will make as good a bedroom window as a pane of glass.Of course, it's possible to take this concept too far. Some trailer companies have tried to get the best of both worlds by creating a steel frame and wrapping an aluminum skin around it. They advertise these trailers as being "aluminum" even though half-and-half might be a more accurate description. In theory, the steel frame makes the trailer stronger, and the aluminum skin lightens the trailer and resists rust. In practice, many of these half-and-half trailers can get worse mileage than a lighter all-aluminum trailer and the steel infrastructure is still prone to rusting, which can destroy the trailer's integrity. Worse yet, steel and aluminum chemically react to one another, so manufacturers must keep the two metals separate using Mylar padding or some other coating that separates the metals. This works fine in limited instances, but when this is applied to an entire trailer it can create problems. An owner of a half-and-half has to guard against the padding breaking down at every point on the trailer where the steel may come in contact with the aluminum. And if the trailer ever needs to be repaired, the padding usually has to be stripped and replaced as well.The right metal for the jobThe bottom line is that aluminum is a superior manufacturing material for trailers. While a steel trailer can do the job, an aluminum trailer almost always does a better job. It can last longer, too. You may save money initially, but after watching your trailer eventually wear down to rust and getting a replacement while your friends are still using an all-aluminum trailer, you'll know why so many people consider an all-aluminum trailer a superior value.Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/1925882
Arieldouglas
Reg. Aug 2013
Posted 2013-10-13 7:37 AM (#155317 - in reply to #155316)

Veteran

Well Paul,I'm not that adamant on aluminum. I have an aluminum trailer and will probably buy another. But, I still have my steel stock trailer I bought, used, 20 years ago. It has served me well. Yes it is rusty now. But still sound. It has been pulled so many miles I have had to replace the shackle bolts and shackle plates. Yes, it has actual springs. The torsion axles are what I sometimes question. Those old springs always equalize the load across all the axles. Seems to me that unless the trailer rides dead level (and honestly, how many do?) the rear axle is picking up more of the load. I know its true on my trailer. It rides almost level. When weighed the rear axle is carrying about 20% more load than the front. Not beyond the tire rating but still.............
Fancy That
Reg. Jan 2012
Posted 2013-10-13 11:18 AM (#155319 - in reply to #155225)

Regular

I just went through this when I just purchased my current trailer (which I love!) BTW, I go through Gustine several times a year to get from my ranch in Gilroy, to Waterford (Lone Tree Farm) So "hello neighbor!!" :)

Of your local choices, Elite stands heads and shoulders above the others. I ended up with a 2001 Featherlite, which is built WAY WAY WAY better than the new Featherlites. They changed ownership and quality went downhill around 2005? (plus or minus a year?) My friend just got a brand new 2013 Featherlite and it is sooo much more cheaply made and constructed in so many facets, compared to mine.

For the durability you seem to be looking for, I'd stick with Hart, Bloomer, Twister, Eby, Elite, Platinum, C&C, Twister, Turnbow. OR - if you buy used, some of the brands were made VERY WELL before they got acquired and changed - brands like the older Featherlites and Sooners.

BTW, I upgraded to my current aluminum after having a 1994 STEEL TURNBOW. Love the strength of that old trailer but was sick of the rust and boy was it heavy. Love my current trailer and haven't looked back!

OldNo7
Reg. Oct 2013
Posted 2013-10-13 11:27 AM (#155321 - in reply to #155225)

Again, I want to thank everybody for their input and information. I always like hearing different opinions and experiences. I know this is not a first, but I went to a local dealer, 100 miles away, that has Elite, Logan, Hart, 4 Star and Titan. I went to look at the Elite, I told the young lady my current trailer, 1994 S&H 16' deck stock trailer and what my intentions were and where I would take my trailer. She directed me to the Titan Classic, steel trailer. So, a 4 horse, a loaded Titan is $18,900 and the loaded Elite $22,900, a $4000.00 difference. She told me that the Elite is a good trailer but, for what I would be doing the Titan would be better. Ironically, while I was at the dealer, an aluminum divider was dropped off to have a broken weld repaired under warranty.*******************************************************************I am still concerned with the durability of the aluminum trailers on the Fire roads, I have parked at weird angles, and have not been able to open one of the rear gates. The other issue, I know some will call me names, but OH well. I do not clean my trailer after every trip, I do not use shavings in my trailer, I usually clean the manure after about 3-4 trips and it is only a cursory cleaning.I have abused my current trailer, over the last 20 years, and aside from tires, I have only replaced one brake assembly and a few floor boards (I did it, not because they had to be). The other thing, I can repair a steel trailer and repaint if needed. The inside of the Titan has rubber on the lower half of the interior like all of the others. So, since the dealer mentioned Titan, does anyone have experience with a Titan trailer. I always welcome remarks and comments, thanks.
OldNo7
Reg. Oct 2013
Posted 2013-10-13 11:36 AM (#155322 - in reply to #155225)

Hey neighbor. I heard that about the new Featherlites. This is way I posted, to get opinions. I know steel is heavier and gets the rust runs. What I am doing now is printing out spec sheets. One of the reasons I having trouble is I have 2 trucks, 1 is a 1998, the other is 2006 (both are the same make and model, intentionally omitted). The 1998 is tough as nails, lots of issues with the 2006, used under the same conditions. Go figure. I look forward to ore comments and information. Thanks
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-10-13 8:07 PM (#155328 - in reply to #155309)

Expert

.""Since you're an "aero-mechanic"... explain to the crowd here what the term "Service life" means? And How it applies, to Aluminum aircraft structure.Explain to us, why the B-52 say, has undergone 8 revisions, some for modern avionics etc, but most, to correct various issues with "airframe fatigue" . Shall we discuss Aloha Airlines Flight 243? What caused that disaster? "Aluminum fatigue"?

It's ironic that the B 52 was chosen as an example of aluminum fatigue, considering the wing tip deflection is over 26 ft from rest to flight mode. It has one of the highest deflections rates of any aircraft ever built. This is of an aircraft designed and built over a half a century ago, that has an anticipated service life of many more years, and has yet to be replaced by a better aircraft. Yes there have been many upgrades, as science has upgraded materials and components, the aircraft has been modernized to meet the latest demands. Their wings are a perfect example of aluminum structures, that continue providing structural support after millions of deflection and torsional cycles.

The Aloha Boeing was in service for its entire life in a salt water environment. The NDT, non destructive testing, that was performed, was not capable of distinguishing the hidden corrosion between the roof skin and the galley belt frame. The 737 basic, with about 7 psi of pressurisation, can increase its hull circumference by about 3 1/2". That means the skin, structures and attachments actually stretch and contract with each flight cycle. This movement combined with the unknown corrosion, caused the skin attachment to the belt frame to fail and it peeled back in flight. If you remember correctly, the plane continued flying and made a safe landing,even though a majority of its forward structure was damaged and weakened by the blow out. The few passengers that died, were with drawn from the AC and fell to their deaths.

Aircraft are not routinely retired strictly by age. Because they have constant maintenance checks and overhaul schedules, they are constantly being made like new or upgraded to the newest specifications. They are routinely replaced by newer models that feature the newest technology which pays benefits in fuel consumption, one of the highest operating expenses of flying. The high by pass turbines combined with more generous ETOPS certifications, allows fewer and more reliable motors, with much lower burn rates than the older designs. Constant research in wing designs, construction materials, and lighter weights, combined with lease agreements instead of ownership, means airlines are more inclined to purchase the latest equipment.

Each component has an hourly or cyclic service life. They are rebuilt or replaced on a scheduled time limit, as defined by the manufacturer and the FAA. The airframe is completely stripped and inspected during an overhaul, and any AD notes or upgrades are performed as necessary. When the completed plane is rolled out, it is effectively a new unit.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)