'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Camping with a bumper pull

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-06-26 9:25 PM
25 replies, 23679 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

lou
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2010-12-17 8:54 PM (#128153)
Subject: Camping with a bumper pull

Regular

Hi, was just wondering if any of you have camped with a bumper pull, and if so, besides pulling out the tent, did you make any alterations to your trailer for your comfort?  I have never had a nice trailer, just what we can afford, and have a steel 1994 WW 3 horse with a walk in dressing room with rear tack.  We haul our horses camping during the short period between show lambs, then just short day rides. In the Texas heat, a lot of the lamb exhibitors have a roof mounted ac in the animal area, so I was considering doing somethign to ours, just not sure, so we could stay in it.  It is just my daughter, and myself, I am the mom.  I think I could almost make a sleeping area in the dressing room.  Was just curious if any of you have used the horse area when camping.  Thanks a lot and Merry Christmas
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
brendaclemens
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-12-17 9:43 PM (#128154 - in reply to #128153)
Subject: RE: Camping with a bumper pull

Regular

I have done it before...a lot of comfort can be found off of the ground & in a bug free (or nearly) trailer! You can get your roof air put on and a couple of outlets...goes a long way & is not that expensive.
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2010-12-17 11:18 PM (#128156 - in reply to #128153)

Extreme Veteran

I have camped in our 2 horse bp,Slant. I just swept out the back end,put down a blue tarp, and put the blowup rubber mattress down. then put a pop up small table in the front, and used that tp put a lantern and stove on to cook with. Our trailer is an aluminum Classic Westerner, and has a window up high on the side for free air flow, but stays quite nice, and out of the dew and rain. Of course you need to high line, or have a stall for your horses.

Edited by siseley 2010-12-17 11:20 PM
Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-12-18 12:19 AM (#128159 - in reply to #128153)

Regular

My wife and I do a lot of camping with our stock trailer. We just use the front half of the stock trailer to load up our supplies. On the rare occasion we take four horses we still have the bed of the pickup for supplies. It works great but we don't mind sleeping in a tent. I've figured that if the weather were so bad that setting up a tent would be a chore we could just put down a tarp in the back and put the air mattress there. We have slept in the back of the pickup several times (with a topper) but it tends to get very humid, hard to control ventilation. Depending on how tightly sealed your trailer is ventilation could be a concern but with the combination of roof and window vents you should be able to control it.
my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-12-18 9:46 AM (#128162 - in reply to #128153)

Veteran

A friend we ride with  built in 2 bunks in his bp.  Added a couple of outlets, replaced stock door with a camper door.  Very basic but better than a tent.

gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-12-18 9:55 AM (#128163 - in reply to #128153)

Veteran

30 years ago I used to sleep in the back of my truck-with topper.  As mentioned a vent would have been a nice thing.  I put an Aura-T Solar Vent in my gooseneck and love it. It was only like 70 or 80 bucks. It Vents as long as the sun is shining, even works in slight cloudy weather, the fan is on.  No need to run a battery down works even when your trailer is parked so it never gets all stuffy.  I don't see why you couldn't put one in a topper on the back of a truck or your horse trailer.  I liked sleeping in the truck better than a tent, took less time and I had a nice comfy mattress in there. 

lou
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2010-12-18 10:51 AM (#128165 - in reply to #128153)

Regular

I am middle 50s thus why the tent isn't so appealing any more, however, I am not sold on a LQ trailer as I want to still enjoy nature.  The last time we camped was in a GN and I was miserable, my child and her friendwere in a tent and I couldn't hear a thing.  Then when we got the lambs, I thought it was kind of silly pulling that much trailer so sold it and found this bumper pull.  Love pulling it, can get in so many places I couldn't with the other one.  Thank you all for the replies and ideas.  It gives me something to work on.  Merry Christmas to each of you
Jean F.
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2010-12-18 10:16 PM (#128175 - in reply to #128153)

Regular

I camp in my BP. I set up a folding cot and sleeping bag in the front dressing room. I keep all my tack in the rear tack compartment, so there is nothing smelly in the dressing room. I use a suitcase that fits under the cot for my clothes and I keep hay and feed in the bed of the truck. It works for me!
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2010-12-19 7:59 AM (#128178 - in reply to #128153)

Elite Veteran

Some of the best times we've had were camping in my old Stidham 2 horse BP... we just scooped the poop out the rear and put a tarp down, then we rolled our bedroll out on it. We even made a "custom" awning out of a tarp with hooks and poles! If you love riding and camping, it doesn't have to be fancy or cost a fortune...and you can get some plastic stacking drawer units at the $$ store.
lou
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2010-12-22 8:11 PM (#128265 - in reply to #128153)

Regular

Kinda what I had in mind, save dollars, enjoy life.

Merry Christmas, all

acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2010-12-29 8:57 AM (#128350 - in reply to #128153)

Extreme Veteran

when we did endurance a friend used to camp out of his BP.  he had it fixed up really nice.   it had a very small DR area- maybe 2'?  big enough to put tack and camping supplies in but not to sleep in.   he'd clean out the horse part, put down a blow up mattress, had a propane heater for when it was cold, little table inside, $200 awning outside w/ table and cooking supplies underneath.    the whole thing  was simple- quick to set up and take down,  and worked very well for him.

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2010-12-29 8:07 PM (#128359 - in reply to #128153)

Elite Veteran

I have only camped with a bumperpull. My last one was a 2 horse straightload with an under manger tack compartment.. I made quite a few changes in the tack compartment to carry as much stuff as I could. I could fit a 30-35 gal water tank in there between the swing out saddle racks, had my corral panels bungeed to the outside, but mostly slept in a tent.. one night a storm came up and we did like someone else mentioned; cleaned out the poop, spread a tarp and brought in my cot and my daughter's air mattress. altho it was temporary, I'm sure it would also work as the actual set up. The only problem was that the center stall divider was in the way. With my new(er) slant load, that is no longer an issue. As much as I would like an LQ, I think a part of me would miss roughing it and the ingenuity and creativity it requires.... However, I am getting old and crotchety and appreciate what creature comforts I can find.. LOL! Good luck!
Tankerbell
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2011-01-08 1:30 PM (#128683 - in reply to #128153)

Regular

I too am 50.  Have camped in a tent with elec fence for the horses.  A few good storms, and I decided to move the cot into the back of 2H BP with the divider removed (with the divider in , my nice, big, Cabellas cot was too wide for the divider, and couldn't quite close the ramp- leaving my toes hanging out!)  The trailer has a tack room, perfect for tack and supplies, hay, wood, water tank in the bed of the truck.  Cot, blue tarp, table, and hanging lantern- snug as a bug!  Windows are all sliders with screens, so even when it's cold and I run the little buddy heater, I can crack the windows.  Or- leave them all open :)  Not quite as feeling in tune with nature as in the tent- but at 50- a hell of alot more comfortable.  Now- am upgrading to a gooseneck- less set up and break down- more horse time!

Have fun- waiting for spring!

sdlepalpm
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2011-01-08 9:45 PM (#128691 - in reply to #128683)

Veteran

I used to camp with my two kids in a bumper pull stock trailer.  I put a tack/storage wooden box that was about chest high to the horses up front for our gear.  Then later on added an old metal closet up front and bolted it to the sides.  My trailer had a manger so that was extra storage for saddles and such.  The firewood was stacked up against the manger between the tack box.  The 3 horses were slanted in and tied to the side.  There was a portable rack at the horses butt for the bridles and coats.  When  we got to camp, we just swept out the back, put down a tarp and unrolled an old mattress (had to have comfort) and set up a battery lantern.  I kept our clothes dry and clean in totes.  A must is a tarp over top of trailer and out for a canopy to keep condensation from dripping down on you!  It cold weather we took a small square kero heater and put it in the back of trailer for warmth just like a fireplace.  We looked like gypsy's back then.  We had the hay tied to the sides of trailer fenders and I even made a chuck box attached to the side of trailer with all my food and cooking supplies in it.  Awe, the good old days!  I am thankful for our LQ but it was so much more fun before it.
lou
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2011-01-12 3:21 PM (#128841 - in reply to #128153)

Regular

I am so glad you all keep adding to this topic. It makes me feel good that I am not the only one that enjoys nature and likes the simple things. I am getting ideas on how to set mine up because as soon as spring break gets here, we are going camping, somewhere, somehow!! Been couped up way too long! My daughter has FFA lambs and got them back in June so we have been tied up with them, 7 days a week since then.
skylermom
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2011-01-31 5:09 PM (#129582 - in reply to #128153)

Regular

I've got a 3H BP with a tack room divider wall that swings on hinges.  I swing that open along with stall dividers, sweep out the sawdust, put a tarp down, set up an XL cot with air mattress and sleeping bag.  I hang my tankless water heater in the corner with a tub underneath and a makeshift shower curtain for a hot shower at the end of the day.  My water tank lays in the bed of my pickup and I ran hoses to my shower and tied it in with a little Flojet water pump that runs off of a Eureka Power Pak battery.  The propane tank sits outside.  A little LugaLoo in the other corner takes care of the necessities.   Fold up table and Coleman stove outside for meals.

All of that takes me a little over an hour to set up once I arrive on site.  Kind of a pain when it is warm out but it has served me well.  Despite that, I'm still hoping for a nice used weekender trailer next year if all goes well!

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2011-02-02 12:18 PM (#129677 - in reply to #128691)

Expert

Originally written by sdlepalpm on 2011-01-08 8:45 AM We had the hay tied to the sides of trailer fenders and I even made a chuck box attached to the side of trailer with all my food and cooking supplies in it.  Awe, the good old days!  I am thankful for our LQ but it was so much more fun before it.

I would love to find plans for a chuck box.  The high school shop class did some work on my trailer this winter so my trailer is closer to being ready to camp with.  Still needs a few things though.  They re-wired and moved my power converter/battery and built manger storage for them in the first stall, almost doubled the size of my hay rack, built a collapsable rear tack that I plan on using for a corner water tank, port a potty, shower room and the saddle racks they built fit my hayrack ladder so I can move them outside while camped.  They also made a door to go between the horse area and the lq but that still needs some work.  I need to figure out how to put a door latch on it that can be opened from both sides.  Right now it is latched/unlatched from the horse side.

I can't wait for spring when I should have the time (and money!) to do some work in the LQ.  It should be nice and warm by then, I hope.

lou
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2011-02-02 12:20 PM (#129678 - in reply to #128153)

Regular

We are goin to try to camp for a week over spring break in our bp so I am going to try some of these ideas.  I can't afford other luxuries so will make do with what I have.  I am going to install some of these ideas, and put electric in it.  I love to camp, and want to enjoy nature.  I know I would enjoy part of a weekend package, but want to stay with nature.  I love to lay under the stars at night. 
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2011-02-03 6:02 AM (#129716 - in reply to #128153)

Elite Veteran

I am thinking, too of actually trying to set up my camp in my trailer this spring.. The only thing that scares me about it is the inability to escape from it if I should somehow get locked inside.
lou
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2011-03-11 7:40 PM (#131544 - in reply to #128153)

Regular

Just brining this back to the top.  It is getting close now, time to GO CAMPING!!!

You all be careful and have lots of fun this spring

Rockinghorserun
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2011-03-20 9:18 PM (#131899 - in reply to #128153)

Veteran

OK  adding my 2 cents.  My first trailer was a 2 horse Kingston GN. The best camping I ever done (didn't know better) was in that thing.  Made cover for back, shower curtain and rod across back, solar shower, porta potti. Tarp with poles and cords for awning.  My friend has a 2 horse BP enclosed with tack room in front. She only camps 2-3 times a year so she makes do.  We take out the divider when we get to destination.  She sweeps shavings to one side and cleans out poop. She puts tarp down and her Cabella cot. Her porta pott goes in and a bucket overturned makes table for reading lamp at night.  She has a Little Buddy heater to heat before she goes to bed and turns it on in the morning if it's cold.  She also has an electric blanket she takes if we have electric.  Suits her fine.  Now another friend has a stock BP and when she gets to camp she does the same thing with shavings and tarp, then she has a tent that pops up when you throw it (Sportsmans Guide). 6X6. She puts that in the back and has no problem with weather or dressing. She fits an air mattress in it.  I wish I had pics to show you. 
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2011-03-26 1:11 PM (#132168 - in reply to #128153)

Elite Veteran

Just sittin here on this rainy day thinkin back to the good ole days. None of us had much $$$, but we had youth/beauty/sex appeal, and we could still ride all day and party all night... Those ole two horse bumper pull trailers were the best campers we knew! If this crazy country doesn't get it's collective a$$ in gear, we are going to have the privilege of campin that way again, only, it will be our retirement home. Whatya think???
lou
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2011-03-27 8:40 AM (#132192 - in reply to #128153)

Regular

Look at all the money we are spending overseas right now bombing Libia, the fuel prices here and the news just said no raise except a small cost of living for Social Security.

We have gone camping in our trailer, was not happy but not becusae of the trailer.  They gave us a camp site full of bees, had to move and set back up, which wasn't hard, then found out two twin mattresses would not fit in the back of the trailer.  Had tarps along the side and back, we laughed and had a lot of fun even though under a fire ban, no camp fire or charcoal permitted, put a light in the back, put our chairs back there as it was cold outside and was comfortable waiting on bedtime

kentuckyrain
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2011-06-22 10:10 PM (#135057 - in reply to #128153)

http://www.jbjconversions.com/id44.html

look what these folks can do with a bumper pull!  Wish they were closer to me so I could get my dressing room converted into a weekender package.

CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2011-06-26 4:35 PM (#135146 - in reply to #128153)

Extreme Veteran

Leaving a way out is something to think about. I was leading my horse at a competitive trail ride and these people were yelling as I went by. I looked and they were waving out the bars on the drop windows. Realized they were yelling at me. Went over and they had locked themselves in the horse part when they went in to get a table and the walk thru door to the LQ closed and was locked. I let them out. hehe
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)