'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Camping etiquette question

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-11-23 12:04 AM
43 replies, 13843 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-11-09 11:32 PM (#126883)
Subject: Camping etiquette question

Regular

We enjoy camping at primitive state forest or national forest campgrounds where there is usually just an outhouse and maybe a hand pump. We expect the other campers there to appreciate the peace and quiet as much as us so I'm curious if other people are as annoyed as me when people run generators in these types of campgrounds? Especially during what I would call the "wind down time" from say 5-9 pm when you're relaxing after a ride and cooking dinner around the campfire. My feeling is that if you wanted those amenities, go pay at a public campground and plug in or find your spot out in the woods by yourself so you're not disturbing others (I realize this is not always a realistic option). Just curious if I'm expecting too much.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2010-11-10 5:27 AM (#126888 - in reply to #126883)
Subject: RE: Camping etiquette question

Extreme Veteran

The last time we primitive camped, it was pretty chilly.  We ran the generator during those "wind down" hours in order to heat up the bunk before turning in for the night.  We turned it off when we went to bed...did not run it all night.  Our group actually had two generators.  One that is extremely quiet.  The other was a bit louder but it was inside the horse area of the trailer so the noise was muffled somewhat.  We tried to be considerate of other campers.

Not trying to be a smart alec here, but...  Perhaps you should

"find your spot out in the woods by yourself "

so you are not disturbed by other campers.

TheOtherHorse
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2010-11-10 5:39 AM (#126889 - in reply to #126883)

Regular

We enjoy and prefer primitive camping too, but in the summer we do run the generator so we can run the a/c when it is too hot to move. However, we have one of the small quiet Honda generators, and I've ridden through camp while it is running, and you can barely hear it if you're not standing next to it. We can have quiet normal conversations around the campfire while it is running. The obnoxious loud regular generators do bother me though, you can hear those beasts all the way on the far side of camp!
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-11-10 7:40 AM (#126890 - in reply to #126883)

Elite Veteran

We only run ours between 5-7 pm if the batteries are low which might be only once during a long weekend. I don't even like to hear it but it is what it is.
GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-11-10 7:53 AM (#126892 - in reply to #126883)

Extreme Veteran

We enjoy quiet primitive camping as well, but we do run a generator from time to time. We have a Generac inverter gen that is not as quiet as the honda, but more quiet than the regular gens--this site actually convinced me to buy the one that was more quiet.

We ran it a few hours before we turned in one night to warm the camper (it was less than 30 degrees) and to charge our batteries or run a microwave, etc. Most of the cooking we do over a fire, though, and never run the gen all night. I would expect most to run a gen from 5-9. Those are hours where people are doing what they need to get done before dark, cooking, etc.

To me, it only gets annoying if they're running gens after 11 pm or before 7 am. Otherwise, it's to be expected in a primitive campground.

(We camp in electric campgrounds in the summer to run the a/c)

To answer your question: Yes, there is a reasonable expectation of peace in any campground, and from my experience, there is. Hocking was one of the quietest campgrounds I have ever stayed in. However, 98% had a generator they ran at one time or another. I think going to a public campground (thats 'primitive' & free) there is also an expectation on the campers part that there will be generators running at some point. I tend to agree with the above and not being a jerk--If you don't like noise, theres camp spots out on the trail that can be used.
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-11-10 8:02 AM (#126893 - in reply to #126883)

Extreme Veteran

If it wasn't primitive then a generator wouldn't be neccessary. That is why I bought a trailer with a gen. I beieve the rule is not after 10 pm though or say before 7am.

CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2010-11-10 10:14 AM (#126900 - in reply to #126883)

Extreme Veteran

Not being a jerk either but  curious why you dont camp in the primitive sections of camps with electrical sites. Then there should be no generator noise. Those that want/need amenities would have electric. Going to stick my neck out and say I have always thought the quiet hours were backwards. At night its either cold in the trailer, or hot, and we are trying to sleep. The gen noise to me is like white noise, putting me to sleep. I always thought quiet hours should be during the day when you are trying to sit outside and eat in the shade, or around a campfire if chilly.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2010-11-10 11:35 AM (#126902 - in reply to #126883)

Expert

We often camp where there are no hookups and that is why we have an LQ with a remote start quiet generator.  It is in an enclosed tack room in an insulated (per manufacturer specs) box.  It is amazingly quiet. It does not make as much noise as the hum of the fan on the AC, from the outside of the trailer. We have not been in the habit of running it after bedtime, unless AC is a must, and that is not often,.

I too, like the white noise hum of a little fan at home when sleeping.  We have run our generator during the "dinner hour" to use appliances inside the LQ, to use the hair dryer after a quick shower in the evening, etc.  We like to be at the campfire hearing the crackle of the fire, crickets, chirping, coyotes howling, friends quiet laughter and speech......with this set up it is absolutely no problem.  I agree that loud generators sitting outside after bedtime can be a distraction from the back to nature sounds, but I don't let that keep me from enjoying our outing!  Most folks are very considerate about sleeping hours, and I guess I figure they are just trying to enjoy being out there, as well as we are. 

Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-11-10 11:39 AM (#126903 - in reply to #126883)

Regular

I'm sorry if this came across as antagonistic, it truly wasn't meant to sound that way, so no need to qualify any statements with comments about "being a jerk". I guess I just have different expectations.

Primitive camping to me means you are foregoing the luxuries of modern life. You are out in the woods to enjoy the silence, or sounds of nature (wind or waves or animals), gaze at the stars without bright lights and live a little simpler while working on some rusty skills like cooking over a fire. Last week we slept in our tent and it got down to 24 degrees overnight, the lady who ran her generator all night (on the other side of the campground) couldn't believe we could sleep in a tent without a heater.

I truly would like to pull off away from campgrounds but frequently in the upper midwest where I've mostly camped that just isn't realistic in a lot of places. Especially when you're traveling to a new area several hours away you pretty much have to rely on advertised campgrounds.

As for hours of operation, my thought is that I'm usually busy away from camp riding or hiking or doing whatever during the day, then I want to relax in the evening. Obviously others have a different opinion and I only ask that you consider this viewpoint in the future.
ghbb41
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2010-11-11 7:37 AM (#126930 - in reply to #126883)

Veteran

We camp in primative campgrounds often because we have no choice. I would prefer to go to a place with electric and water but there are not any around. Yes, I have a Honda generator that runs guietly and I use it most often after a ride to heat up some of the food brought by other riders in our microwave. Our riding club is most grateful for the generator. We even used it to charge a dead truck battery.
trot-on
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-11-11 10:13 AM (#126940 - in reply to #126883)

Extreme Veteran

After traveling to 9 different states competing in NATRC trail rides last year, I found the generator thing to have regional differences.

In TX, OK, KS, TN they were used often, all hours, sometimes even all night, although the camp had "quiet hours". In CO and NM, they are hardly used at all. In fact, one person in the middle of the day, parked near me asked if I minded if he turned on his generator. I said, no, that was fine, and then as it came on, it was a super quiet Honda. The CO and NM riders seemed to do without the generator more than the other areas. I don't have one with my cab over camper, so I am just used to dealing without one.

If I was primitive camping, at a public campground, I'd expect other campers to go by the rules of that facility as to quiet hours. If they felt the need to run AC or Heat during those quiet times, then they need to find a campground that allows that.

I have always said people tolerate the behavior of their own children and animals, they would not tolerate in others. Thinking that also applies to generator noise. They never feel their OWN generator is that loud.
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-11-11 1:06 PM (#126947 - in reply to #126930)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by ghbb41 on 2010-11-11 7:37 AM

We camp in primative campgrounds often because we have no choice. I would prefer to go to a place with electric and water but there are not any around. Yes, I have a Honda generator that runs guietly and I use it most often after a ride to heat up some of the food brought by other riders in our microwave. Our riding club is most grateful for the generator. We even used it to charge a dead truck battery.

Ditto, I would much rather have electricity but it is not usually an option in my area.

laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-11-11 1:08 PM (#126948 - in reply to #126903)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Bleve on 2010-11-10 11:39 AM

Last week we slept in our tent and it got down to 24 degrees overnight, the lady who ran her generator all night (on the other side of the campground) couldn't believe we could sleep in a tent without a heater.

QUOTE] all of my trailers have heat with out running a generator and I would assume others would also.
gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-11-11 6:53 PM (#126959 - in reply to #126883)

Veteran

I understand what you are saying.  Primitive camping to me means little to no dishes to wash, getting away from home. The more gadgets you have the more it is like being at home, the more crap to take care of and clean up.   I got an Atwood 12,000 btu furnace that runs off propane and a 12 volt battery.   use a solar charger that will keep my battery charged for over a week even if my trailer is parked in the shade. Solar battery chargers are great no noise and much cheeper in the long run than a generator.  (I have had pnemonia couple of time and cant sleep below 55ish)  I am lucky to have a couple of spots on State land here in Upper Michigan free and you don't have to share with others, also a few places in Wisconsin within an hour that is free and rarely anybody else there. 

Edited by gliderider 2010-11-11 6:57 PM
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2010-11-11 9:07 PM (#126964 - in reply to #126883)

If you are camping in National forests or National Parks, the generators are not loud. In fact, there are specific rules for generator noise in federal areas. We bought a Kipor inverter generator in order to comply with the federal rules. So many areas that have electric/water hookups are not available to horse campers, so you might wish to be aware of the limited areas available for horses.
Now having said that, suggest you try pack camping. That way you will be away from people all together.
Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-11-11 9:40 PM (#126966 - in reply to #126964)

Regular

Originally written by rose on 2010-11-11 9:07 PM

Now having said that, suggest you try pack camping. That way you will be away from people all together.

I would love to try that sometime, however I'm just not aware of anywhere in MI (or nearby states for that matter) where it is feasible. Maybe someplace in the Upper Peninsula but I couldn't tell you where.
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2010-11-12 6:02 AM (#126973 - in reply to #126948)

Extreme Veteran

QUOTE] all of my trailers have heat with out running a generator and I would assume others would also.

My trailer does not have any propane tanks.  Without electricity or the generator, we have no heat, A/C, fridge or microwave.  As a matter of fact, out of the four couples we camp with on a regular basis, only one has a trailer that can operate without benefit of a power source.

A full LQ trailer is simply not in the budget right now.  That doesn't mean I am going to stay home, though!  I hear the woods and the campfire calling my name quite often!!!  And the primitive camps are usually half the cost of the electric ones.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-11-12 9:08 AM (#126982 - in reply to #126883)

Expert

Being in the West. I don't have camp hook ups.   If we need power it has to come from a generator.

I hate loud generators.  I hate ANY generator running during sleeptime. I'll tolerate them during the evening But by 9 or 10 at the latest. I expect them turned off.

I do bring a quite generator. I do use it during times when I need to cook. Usually to run the Microwave or a little George Forman type grill.

I can't tell you how many times, I've been tempted to go put some sugar in somebodys generators fuel tank because they ran it all night. Now I wouldn't really do that. But when your loosing sleep because somebody else is inconsiderate. I start thinking of weird things.

pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2010-11-12 9:15 AM (#126983 - in reply to #126982)

Veteran

Originally written by Painted Horse on 2010-11-12 9:08 AM

Being in the West. I don't have camp hook ups.   If we need power it has to come from a generator.

I hate loud generators.  I hate ANY generator running during sleeptime. I'll tolerate them during the evening But by 9 or 10 at the latest. I expect them turned off.

I do bring a quite generator. I do use it during times when I need to cook. Usually to run the Microwave or a little George Forman type grill.

I can't tell you how many times, I've been tempted to go put some sugar in somebodys generators fuel tank because they ran it all night. Now I wouldn't really do that. But when your loosing sleep because somebody else is inconsiderate. I start thinking of weird things.

I am the same way! We have an Onan and it is very quiet but we still only run it alittle in the mornings and early evening. I can't sleep hearing those noisy cheap generators. It's fine to use them but just not all nite long. Last summer I all but went out and shut one off that was next to us. I kept praying it would run out of gas. We don't go primitive camping when it's so hot you need to run your air at nite.
CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2010-11-12 12:27 PM (#126996 - in reply to #126883)

Extreme Veteran

Our trailer does of course have a propane furnace. I used it for the first time recently without being plugged into electric. It drained my batteries really fast, about 6 hours I think, and that was with the thermostat set on 65 and it was 31 outside. I really thought the batteries to power the blower would last longer. Our trailer is an 08 but bought new a year ago in October. I am wondering if I dont need to just replace the batteries. Perhaps they are just old, or cheap, or need water as I know we need to check that. We keep it plugged in at home so its likely they are low in water. Anyone else know how long their batteries will power the blower in similar temps? Also how do you keep comfortably warm sleeping in 30 degree weather with no heat? Do you sleep in a nice degree rated sleeping bag instead of under the bed covers? I did get some flannel pj"s. HA HA
GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-11-12 2:57 PM (#127000 - in reply to #126883)

Extreme Veteran

Only one trailer out of the big group of we ride with had a propane furnace for heat. Last trip they ran it every night (4 nights), all night, with no apparent battery issues. It was between 25 and 30 outside almost every night and they stayed nice and cozy @ 70 degrees.

The rest of us use extra blankets!
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-11-12 4:39 PM (#127002 - in reply to #126883)

Extreme Veteran

I an my lights and furnace over night and accidently left all the lights on in the horse area over night and my battery was fine.
Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-11-12 4:54 PM (#127003 - in reply to #126996)

Regular

Originally written by CTRider on 2010-11-12 1:27 PM

Also how do you keep comfortably warm sleeping in 30 degree weather with no heat? Do you sleep in a nice degree rated sleeping bag instead of under the bed covers? I did get some flannel pj"s. HA HA

Basically, we have 20 degree rated sleeping bags and we have a tote of extra blankets. Insulating from the ground is usually just as important if not more so than insulating from the air. We've tent camped in single digits, you just need to understand how to layer to stay warm.
trot-on
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-11-12 9:51 PM (#127020 - in reply to #126883)

Extreme Veteran

hot flashes have been keeping me warm at night.

Edited by trot-on 2010-11-12 9:52 PM
Prairieland
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-11-13 8:17 AM (#127023 - in reply to #126883)

We use our Honda generator during the evening when cooking. Would love to camp where electricity was available but not always possible. Would never use the generator after 10. Probably if I did not want to listen to generators I would find a place where there were no trailers with generators.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)