'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Would you buy a new but really cheap aluminum trailer?

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-05-12 5:51 PM
31 replies, 12342 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Cowgirl-h
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-09-27 2:46 PM (#125249)
Subject: Would you buy a new but really cheap aluminum trailer?

Regular

Just curious, but has anyone heard of Bison trailers? I live in Canada and several dealerships are now advertising brand-new Bison Aluminum living Quarters trailers for $27,000. This is a whole lot more expensive than other aluminum trailers in this area, not even close in price,probably $10,000 cheaper. I haven't seen them in person, just read the ads, but it sounds like for that money you get a 3 horse, 6' shortwall with a bathroom, furnace, fridge, microwave, hot water, etc.

I'm not actually in the market for one, last winter we took my used Featherlite and did a simple weekend package in the dressing room. And you know, the total costs were $20,000 or so for what I got, and that was with us putting a month worth of work into it. No bathroom, simple Wal-Mart appliances that need power to run, no running water or hook-ups. Part of me wonders how anyone could do a new aluminum trailer for that cost. Is there some real catches? What is the difference between a more expensive aluminum trailer, such as Sundowner or Featherlite, compared to these cheaper ones like Bison?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-09-27 4:20 PM (#125255 - in reply to #125249)
Subject: RE: Would you buy a new but really cheap aluminum trailer?

Extreme Veteran

There is a major difference in all aspects of quality and construction. I would say the Bison is entry level for those that may just use the trailer occassionally and do not want to invest alot of money. I would buy a used better quality trailer though that has already depreciated before I would buy a new Bison 
Cowgirl-h
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-09-27 6:26 PM (#125258 - in reply to #125249)

Regular

Woops - I just read my first comment and I said the Bison is a whole lot more expensive than other trailers in my area - what I meant to say is "a whole lot LESS expensive" than others in my area.

Sorry, that one word makes things a bit confusing.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-09-27 9:27 PM (#125262 - in reply to #125249)

Expert

I agree wth Laurie. I would rather have a used, good brand trailer, than a new cheaply built one. With a used trailer, you know how good it is and will be, when it is purchased. A new trailer is an unknown.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2010-09-27 11:05 PM (#125267 - in reply to #125249)

Expert

Originally written by Cowgirl-h on 2010-09-27 3:46 PM

Just curious, but has anyone heard of Bison trailers? I live in Canada and several dealerships are now advertising brand-new Bison Aluminum living Quarters trailers for $27,000. This is a whole lot more expensive than other aluminum trailers in this area, not even close in price,probably $10,000 cheaper. I haven't seen them in person, just read the ads, but it sounds like for that money you get a 3 horse, 6' shortwall with a bathroom, furnace, fridge, microwave, hot water, etc.

I'm not actually in the market for one, last winter we took my used Featherlite and did a simple weekend package in the dressing room. And you know, the total costs were $20,000 or so for what I got, and that was with us putting a month worth of work into it. No bathroom, simple Wal-Mart appliances that need power to run, no running water or hook-ups. Part of me wonders how anyone could do a new aluminum trailer for that cost. Is there some real catches? What is the difference between a more expensive aluminum trailer, such as Sundowner or Featherlite, compared to these cheaper ones like Bison?

http://www.bisontrailer.com/bison-product-lines.asp Which model were you looking at?
nobodyimportant
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-09-28 7:26 AM (#125272 - in reply to #125249)

Veteran

One thing you probably should consider is where you are buying the trailer from.  If your buying new, does the dealer have a good parts department?  How many service bays and service techs?  When buying new, you buy the dealership as well.  If you are in an area that has an excellent dealer, that may be the tipping point for you on what you should buy.

For me, if I had a good dealer to deal with, I'd buy the new one over the better brand used.

Cowgirl-h
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-09-28 9:57 AM (#125277 - in reply to #125249)

Regular

One of the dealers who has just started selling the Bison trailers is the same dealer that I bought my used Featherlite from, so I can votch that they are good at servicing trailers. They mainly carry Featherlite and Logan trailers, I think they only have a few Bison in stock. And I haven't looked at them in real life, just seen their ads, which doesn't state the model number or size. Just states one or two lines and shows a photo "New Bison Aluminum Living Quarters", starting at $27,000" I think they're only aluminum skin, but without asking questions I don't know. But it just seems like a very low price for what appears to be a typical trailer on the outside. How do they charge that much less? Cheaper parts? Or what.

nobodyimportant
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-09-28 10:06 AM (#125278 - in reply to #125249)

Veteran

If you've dealt with them in the past, why not ask them?  There must be a reason that they have them in stock.
kenoble
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2010-09-28 12:29 PM (#125284 - in reply to #125249)

While shopping for a new LQ recently I noticed several of the big name companies offering entry level LQ trailers at low prices like this. Exiss is one of them. I found most of these were 7ft wide with a 6ft short wall. The basics were there but it didn't have the luxury look to them.  Once I got to the 8ft wide, 10ft short wall I wanted the prices were much higher. It seems to me that alot of the trailer companies are just trying to market to that entry level customer now.

We have friends that own a Bison and love it.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-09-28 12:58 PM (#125287 - in reply to #125249)

Expert

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=14236
cutter99
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2010-09-28 1:02 PM (#125288 - in reply to #125249)

Extreme Veteran

I would be hesitant to buy such a trailer for a couple reasons. You can find top-of-the-line, bigger trailers used for about the same price. You can also find leftover new trailers from the manufacturers of high quality trailers at very reasonable prices. I would question the quality of the construction at that price. Another question I would have at that price is it an all aluminum trailer or is it aluminum skin over a steel frame? What is the quality of the LQ conversion?

I purchased a 4 horse 2008 Hart Medallion leftover new this year for under $33k. It has a 6ft LQ package and is only 6'8" wide, but it has a 3.0 cu ft refrigerator, a/c, heat strip, stove, microwave, shower, toilet, kitchen sink,  loads of cabinet space, awning, aand radio/ cd player. It is not huge, but comfortable enough for two of us and our 2 dogs for short camping trips. I love the Hart quality and little touches they put on the trailer. For an entry level trailer, I feel that it is safe, well made and strongly constructed. I also knew Hart's reputation and quality. This may sound stupid, but this was my 5th trailer purchase and Hart was the 1st company to ever send me a thank you note. 

I would love to go bigger, but that means a bigger truck and more money. We took a regular vehicle loan on this one through a local bank and it will be paid off in 60 months.    

horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-09-28 4:23 PM (#125294 - in reply to #125249)

Veteran

I'm with several of the other poster's in saying that I would go with a used name brand, even if it was mid range, like an Exiss Event or Featherlite. For that kind of money, you can get a slightly used 6 foot SW three horse Featherlite with full bathroom and kitchen in it. I think that the big horse trailer name brands will hold their value better than the less known brands.
horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-09-28 4:48 PM (#125296 - in reply to #125249)

Veteran

Cowgirl,  For example, look at listing 262178.  I have this same trailer (only the 2H 2005 version), bought from the same dealer and with the same 6 SW conversion in it.  It is an awesome trailer.   For very little more you can get a pretty high end interior, big fridge, big fresh water and holding tanks and a name brand trailer.
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2010-09-28 5:26 PM (#125297 - in reply to #125249)

Elite Veteran

Cheaper is not always cheaper in the long run.... furthermore, if you are financing, it may not pay off when you go to trade it in. If you are a light user and stay on blacktop roads and showgrounds it is probably OK, though..... There are a lot of bargains out there... shop smart and get yourself a great trailer!
pippi -longstocking
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-09-28 7:09 PM (#125301 - in reply to #125249)

i know someone w/ a Merhow 5years old LQ and 3 horse.............she drove it from Florida to new england w/ 2 horses on and when she arived her frame was cracked in the rear horse compartment. She's an experienced hauler and didn't have any issues on the road or her leveling etc.

I've noticed some companies that have made real good trailers.....have in last 5 years come out with lines or entry level rigs that are really crap. Prowling used trailers I noticed a lot of the newer weekend warrior aluminums are beat to hell fairly quick. Not only the frame but the int/ext sheeting doors and what not just did not handle a horse beating them up

I personally prefer a steel frame, it's also easier to repair weld if there is a problem or you back into a ditch and bust something!

I think w/ aluminum I'd stick to the well proven companies/product

brlracer
Reg. Apr 2011
Posted 2011-04-27 8:00 PM (#133623 - in reply to #125249)

New User

Hey PippiJust reading the Merhow post and have your friend contact Merhow about the cracked frame... She may have already.. I have an 05 Verylite and it is at Merhow being fixed, with mine it has several cracks... I think they know they had some problems with a couple of year models... They have been nice so far and great to work with... I will let ya know later if that changes. They have made a lot of changes and improvements to the trailers - heard they have new engineers. If your friend contacted them let me know what the out come was please
Jaas
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2011-04-27 8:58 PM (#133625 - in reply to #125249)

Regular

Jaas
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2011-04-27 9:02 PM (#133626 - in reply to #125249)

Regular

Sorry for the blank post.  I looked into the low end of the Bison about a year ago.  The around $20,000 2 horse living quarter.  It was metal framed and had a wood floor.  I didn't mind the wood floor, except for in the living quarters.  It was a pressed "wood chip" floor.  The dealer said the floor had a long warranty, something like ten years.  I imagine the floor would be under warranty but what about moving everthing out and back in to replace the floor.  Can't imagine a water leak in your living quarters on a floor like that.
tr0y
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2011-04-28 9:13 AM (#133634 - in reply to #125249)

Veteran

I would take a 2nd look at Bison, there were acquired by Navistar when it bought Monaco Coach LLC. I can find no mention that they have been divested.

I have seen a few Bison trailers out on the road and they look pretty nice. Sometimes things are what they seem, a good deal.

As for the ability to stand behind or warranty a product Navistar is going to have much deeper pockets than 99.9% of any other trailer manufacturer.

If they have sold this division to another organization, I could be wrong. YMMV...
SweetWillyB
Reg. Apr 2011
Posted 2011-04-28 10:46 AM (#133639 - in reply to #125249)

I would look and see what is the best value out there. I've always found that cheaper is cheap for a reason and national "name brand" can be overpriced and just ok on quality....try Westwind in Claresholm, Alberta...they sell the SHADOW LQ's which seem to be qood qaulity trailer and nice LQ interior at a fair price.
skeil@midway
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2011-04-28 10:51 AM (#133640 - in reply to #125249)

As TrOy mentioned, Monaco Coach's assetts, including Bison Coach, were purchased by Navistar approx. 2 years ago; they've manufactured the 2010, 2011,(and soon to be 2012) Bison Trailers, which are under full warranty.

Bison Trailers are built using an efficient production line process (no custom orders) resulting in savings in manufacturing costs, which are then passed on to the consumer.

As for the wood floor mentioned in an above post, any LQ, whether it has a wood or aluminum floor, will have a plywood or OSB floor base to which vinyl flooring is then applied. Either way, a major water leak, when not caught in time, could be a rebuilding issue in any LQ.

The bottom line is, I've seen inexpensive trailers that have been well-taken care of that last many years, and I've seen expensive trailers that have been neglected and abused that one could hardly give away.
SweetWillyB
Reg. Apr 2011
Posted 2011-04-28 1:37 PM (#133647 - in reply to #125249)

Sounds like tr0y and skil@midway work at Navistar
DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2011-04-28 1:54 PM (#133648 - in reply to #133647)

Veteran

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=14665&posts=1

Bartley Heath
Bartley@DoubleDTrailers.com
Buy Factory Direct and $ave at DoubleDTrailers.com

Jaas
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2011-04-28 2:43 PM (#133649 - in reply to #125249)

Regular

As for the wood floor mentioned in an above post, any LQ, whether it has a wood or aluminum floor, will have a plywood or OSB floor base to which vinyl flooring is then applied. Either way, a major water leak, when not caught in time, could be a rebuilding issue in any LQ.

Sorry my misunderstanding.  I didn't look at the trailer.  I got the assumption that the OSB floor was installed right over the metal framing, and was the only flooring/subflooring in the living quarter portion other than the vinyl.  That OSB being the bottom outside of the trailer also.  Where an aluminum trailer would have the aluminum floor, and then the OSB on top of the aluminum, illiminating the worry of rotting from the inside or bottom outside and falling right through the floor.

tr0y
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2011-04-28 11:10 PM (#133662 - in reply to #125249)

Veteran

Sorry not employed by or otherwise have anything to do with Navistar, as close as I get is the diesel powerplant in my Ford...
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)