'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Low Tech Camping

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-08-30 5:53 PM
57 replies, 13403 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2010-08-17 11:26 PM (#123690)
Subject: Low Tech Camping

Veteran

OK, this isn't about not having the money to buy a camping trailer.  I already have a camping trailer, but am not all that gifted when it comes to mechanical repairs and so will sell it soon enough - you'll see it on this site. 

I love to camp and ride, but the frustration of things not working (and, yes, I do have a professionally built living quarters) is wearing me out.  So, am wondering if anyone else would like to see a camping unit with gravity fed roof mounted water (nix one 12V pump and surprise water outages), in line propane hot water heater without a tank (nix cold season draining and maintenance)  hi tech ice box like the Coleman Xtreme (nix maintaining and replacing the fridge and leveling the trailer)  that sort of thing.  Is there somewhere I could order a rig custom designed for a low tech lightweight like me?  Am I alone in my desire for ease and simplicity?

Thanks for listening, and sharing your thoughts.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
SRWilson
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2010-08-18 6:00 AM (#123693 - in reply to #123690)
Subject: RE: Low Tech Camping

Regular

Shouldn't be that hard to build one.  You get the trailer, I'll help

Tankerbell
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-08-18 6:06 AM (#123695 - in reply to #123690)

Regular

You are not alone!!  :)  I am a current low tech camper- considering upgrading to all of the niceties of home.  Thanks for the reality check!  Water, hay, a comfy bed, and firewood are all I really need. 
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2010-08-18 9:35 AM (#123708 - in reply to #123690)

Elite Veteran

Been there, done that. Don't want to go back. Our first LQ trailer was low tech, five gallon tank under the sink that drained onto the ground. Porta potty. No fridg, only coolers. Always had to be getting ice. Tough to keep stuff dry as the ice melts. Lights were off battery only. Now I can sit for a week or more.

Have a friend that has your basic set-up now except he can plug in for electric dorm fridg and lights. He wants so bad to move up to what I have now, but finances don't accomodate him at this time.

To each his own, but IMHO you might be sorry.

horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-08-18 10:36 AM (#123714 - in reply to #123690)

Veteran

evallone, The stuff in your trailer is pretty low tech, with the exception of the fridge. But, I can understand your frustration. I have a 2005 little LQ that I bought new and have used for 5 years with very few problems. At time of purchase, the dealer walked me through the workings of everyting, even the winterizing. The setup for winterizing is very easy. However, last year I bought a new to me used trailer. Family problems had left me overwhelmed at the time. Feeling overwhelmed, I just hauled the thing into town to "Mike's RV" and told them to take care of it, winterize it and make sure that everything works and if it doesn't, fix it. They winterize for $45. An RV LQ seems to be an RV LQ, whether it is a horse trailer or not, and Mike's has been able to fix anything and everything pretty cheap so far, knock on wood. However, water being so important, I do have a hayrack water tank just in case. And, I do bring a cooler for keeping drinks outside.
evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2010-08-18 6:57 PM (#123736 - in reply to #123693)

Veteran

You are not that far away.  Be careful what you wish for I might end up on your doorstep...50
evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2010-08-18 7:06 PM (#123737 - in reply to #123708)

Veteran

I don't think I would want to be without the insulated/paneled walls and a portable Mr. Buddy heater for taking the chill off a cold morning, but I sure could do without a lot of the rest with no problem at all.  Gravity fed cold water sink, camp stove to heat a shower bag or a zodi or propane wall mount, and porta potty in the horse area would all seem to work just great, along with an ice box or a big coleman Xtreme where a block of ice lasts 4 days.  Have done the low tech in the past without complaint - just want to do it more intelligently with a few more comforts this time.  WOW it would be great to have absolutely nothing to maintain, and nothing to let me down.   I don't think I powered up my roof mounted air or propane ducted heater four times in four years - always remote camping anyway.  Going to work this out and patent the process 10 ~~  or I better find someone handy and happy to do it to join in on my high tech/high maintenance variety of camping. 
evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2010-08-18 7:07 PM (#123738 - in reply to #123695)

Veteran

Well, maybe you are more handy than me or have a husband who is more handy. My vote -- look for the comforts without the gadgets -- just a bit more thinking and you'll have it all...
evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2010-08-18 7:09 PM (#123739 - in reply to #123714)

Veteran

Perhaps I just live in the wrong area.  Our RV stores all charge $80 per hour.  Maybe what I really need to do is to move....  12
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2010-08-18 11:50 PM (#123750 - in reply to #123690)

Elite Veteran

Oh my Gosh! This is funny. I keep thinking and dreaming of owning a small LQ with all the convienences!!! Finances don't allow for it though. I keep thinking of ways to make my camping a little more "pleasant". I would absolutely love a fridge and a hot shower. Those are the two at the top of my list. The shower being # 1 for sure!

What I would like to have installed, is a cowboy shower on the outside of my trailer. That way I could also use it to rinse my horse after a ride as she sweats like a racehorse. As for me, I could buy one of those tents for the outdoor Zodi showers. I do already have a hayrack with the water caddy that I use for a gravity fed COLD shower. Would really like to have a hot water heater and some water pressure though. I thought about having a hay pod or covered hay rack of some kind. As my water tank is really getting beat up by the sun.

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2010-08-19 12:04 AM (#123751 - in reply to #123690)

Elite Veteran

Prices around here are high too. I think I remember calling a local RV person who has installed these types of things for other horsie friends. If I remember correctly, he quoted me $80-90 an hour and the cowboy shower at over $2500-

I have a small 2 horse GN with a 3' short wall that unfortunately has the tack door on the curb side.( makes for a much smaller LQ area) . It's a nice trailer but I have to be really creative on how I am going to make this work. What I really need and want is a stud partition for the front stall( for storage) A covered hayrack or hay pod thingy.( I am thinking of putting my water heater and tanks up there since there is no room any where else)And having a switch of some kind installed that would ignite the tanks and start the water heater from down below so that I don't have to climb the ladder all the time.

Any one else have pics of what they have done with a small LQ space?

One of my favorite things to do when camping is walking around and seeing what others have done creatively. Another good place to go to see stuff like this is an endurance ride or race. I have seen some of the neatest ideas there.

Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-08-19 1:14 AM (#123755 - in reply to #123690)

Extreme Veteran

Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-08-19 1:24 AM (#123756 - in reply to #123690)

Extreme Veteran

I will be installing a small, but thorough weekend in my trailer this winter.  I want something simple, very comfortable and repairable by me.  My thoughts are that if I install it, I can repair it, so that's plan number one - do it myself (with my family's help).

I've planned it out except for the toilet - can't decide which way to go on that one. 

Zoe
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-08-19 10:07 AM (#123764 - in reply to #123690)

Regular

Well, we have caved into the hi-tech stuff recently having purchased an 06 3/horse slant w/10' LQ which already had an electric awning (which I find I prefer the manual) & a satellite dish so we can use our Direct TV box, but my husband is handy & can fix almost anything incl replacing a fridge if need be.  But I agree with your thoughts since we have camped w/horses for 30+ years having started out with an 8' truck camper on a 1/2 T. truck that had an ice box, built in radiant heater, porta potti in closet & hand pump for water but we felt we were blessed because we had a warm, dry place to stay (that was 1975).  Truck got stolen so we went to a 3/4 T. truck an found a used 10' truck camper w/fridge, stove w/oven, radiant heater w/thermostat, & toilet/shower combination w/hot water.  I really liked having a fridge (piezo light) & the shower. We had that camper for 20 years but basically the only draw on battery was the lights & water pump, everything else propane & we also camp were we never have electric so it was great.  Eventually we got a new camper & still pretty self-sufficient except by then the heaters had to have blowers which run your batteries down pretty fast so we were very conservative setting the thermostat.  While I love my new used LQ trailer, everything is electronic - fridge needs battery or doesn't run even on propane, blowers on heater (most of my friends install a vent-free radiant to supplement), microwave vs. oven & trailer has a "fantastic fan" which really circulates the air so we don't bother with the AC & have a 1,000 watt Honda Generator which is extremely quiet.  We are considering also installing a solar panel and depending how much cold weather camping we do, may also get a vent-free heater.  It seems that since RVing of all types has become so popular & there are now many places to camp w/horses that provide sites w/elec & water, & I guess the manufacturers assume we all have electric to run everything or you need to resort to carrying a generator.  From all the years of camping, we have learned to be conservative & my husband usually runs the generator for an hour in the AM when he makes the coffee & we shower so it is doable but I agree things were much simpler in the early years before all the technology.  Not sure how I would survive if I didn't have my husband & had to pay to have everything done and nothing is built to last like it was back then!  Just my 2 cents.

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2010-08-19 3:18 PM (#123783 - in reply to #123690)

Elite Veteran

So, I am saving to have a fridge and cowboy shower installed. How many propane tanks and batteries will I need to have installed for those two things? Or should I go with just a generator? I would like to be able to plug in a hair dryer if need be too. I see everyone that has LQ's, with two batteries and two propane tanks. I know I will need propane for sure to run both right?
evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2010-08-19 3:23 PM (#123787 - in reply to #123783)

Veteran

You are beyond blessed indeed!  To have a partner who shares your interest AND can fix things.  WOW now that would be just spectacular!

Thanks for your input.

Eleanor

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2010-08-19 3:42 PM (#123789 - in reply to #123690)

Extreme Veteran

I love the atmosphere of "camping!" I don't have a LQ and don't think I ever will. I just have a 8' long wall and have insulated and nicely tongue and grooved paneled it added rope trimiming and some decent and nice looking tack rack. It keeps me warm at night and have just a "few" high tech things in it. I won't go beyond anything more. I just love the outdoor cooking in dutch oven, on campfire, coffee on the grill, stove, campfire.

Just a small bit of what I consider "high tech" convienencies (sp) that I have are:

12v fridge

Luggable Loo

Solar Shower in back of trailer, which I love and works well, I have gotten some "hot, hot, hot" water out of this!

and I do bring my laptop to map my trails and download pics after rides, and dvd player if I feel like a movie in bed is in store. (husband installed a 12v to run my goodies.)

and my stove is an antique Griswold two burner gas which I hook up to a 5 gal. propane tank.

That's my "high tech". LQ's are nice, don't get me wrong and I love browsing in them, but that's all I'll do is browse. Maybe I'm just "addicted to the dust" per say, but I love my low profile, low tech camping!

Jaas
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2010-08-19 3:54 PM (#123791 - in reply to #123690)

Regular

I just have insulated DR with AC also.

My extra features that I like best are my Honda generator, Thedford 465 porta potti, and coleman hot water on demand.  I have 4 deep cycles under the gooseneck that come into my trailer and end as cigarette lighters.  I can plug anything from 12 volt fans to water pump hooked up to 50 gallon plastic barrel.  Have the automatic chargers for the batteries hooked right next to them.  Each one has a battery level indicator inside, so I can just switch from battery to battery.

My low tech sink is a shelf that holds one of those blue water jugs from Walmart, with a big funnel under the shelf to catch the water hooked to a hose that runs to a second blue water jug for the waste.  Can't get much simplier than that.

I traveled with a 16' Ponderosa stock trailer and tent before that.  That trailer sure is nicer than a tent when the rain comes.

evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2010-08-19 3:56 PM (#123792 - in reply to #123789)

Veteran

That's the spirit!  I often ponder how complicated we make things and the effect of that. 

Someone is coming to second inspect my fancy Four Star rig, and if it sells then I'll be browsing around at all the wonderful, creative and comfortable ways to live "off the grid" out there.

Less hassle - more saddle time.

Happy trails,

Eleanor

evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2010-08-19 4:05 PM (#123793 - in reply to #123791)

Veteran

More hopeful by the moment.  My truck bed mounted tent just arrived, but I plan to use that for when I have guests and they need somewhere to sleep.  My plan is to use my 16' featherlite stock as a "base unit" and that tent for a little while while I work out the final "product".  That's going to be a gooseneck stock trailer with pass thru door and stud wall for horse box storage on one slant load.  Then the dressing room is going to be insulated, paneled and I'll have a sink, an ice box (can always bring along a cooler), 12V lights, and a mounted cook stove. The rig will have dual batteries but no propane tanks.   In the rear I'll have a roof mounted water supply for a portable propane hot water unit,  and that will also serve the sink in the dressing room.  One nice cabinet over the sink and one table I can move outside (drop leaf) that will double as a base for the stove.  Heat - radiant Mr. Buddy only til bed time...then a good down comforter.  Don't want to lug a generator, don't need it from what I can see either.  Any additions/suggestions from my low tech pals - welcome.  I am primarily a weekender, but if I went away somewhere with electric and stayed longer, I would bring along a dorm fridge and portable electric heater...
Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-08-19 5:06 PM (#123795 - in reply to #123791)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Jaas on 2010-08-19 3:54 PM

My extra features that I like best are my Honda generator, Thedford 465 porta potti, and coleman hot water on demand.  I have 4 deep cycles under the gooseneck that come into my trailer and end as cigarette lighters.  I can plug anything from 12 volt fans to water pump hooked up to 50 gallon plastic barrel.  Have the automatic chargers for the batteries hooked right next to them.  Each one has a battery level indicator inside, so I can just switch from battery to battery.

Your system is very much like the one I plan to install.  I have a Honda 2000 generator, a Coleman Hot Water on Demand with alll accesories, and will have a large water storage tank and deep cycle marine batteries for 12 v service.

Can you tell me pretty specifically how you have the batteries set up and what pieces of equipment I need to do that?  You charge the batteries with the generator? or the truck's system?

I would then like to add 110 too, but just getting these batteries connected so that the 12 v stuff willl work will be a major accomplishment.

Jaas
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2010-08-19 9:41 PM (#123814 - in reply to #123690)

Regular

The batteries were installed when I bought the trailer, but can tell you how they are set up.

Right under the gooseneck, tight against the trailer, an aluminum "shelf" was welded in place the whole width of the trailer.  Then each battery has a custom welded aluminum box to hold it in place.  There are then 2 pieces of "L" shaped tread plate that covers the front and top of the batteries and bolts to the aluminum shelf on the bottom.  It totally covers the batteries, remove them is how you get to the batteries.

The two battery charges are mounted about 1' in front of the shelf, towards the hitch.  They are bolted to the inside "A" frame metal I beam that goes to the hitch.  Each charger will charge 2 batteries, with automatic shutoff.  They are 110 volt charges, with a cord connecting the two and ending at the hitch.  I plug the one cord in, and all four batteries charge.  Each battery shuts the charge off automatically when done charging.  They can be charged with the generator or  plugged into the outlet.  There is heavy 12 volt wires that run from the charger to each battery inside of a garden hose.  Each battery has a 4 bolt and wingnut posts.  They (batteries) came with one positive and negative nut and bolt, and one post.  There is then adapters that turn the post to a wingnut and bolt.

Coming off the other battery bolts, there is a hole drilled behind the batteries through the trailer right in the corner under the gooseneck.  The 12 volt wires are enclosed in a garden hose and caulked around the hole.  2 of the batteries have a 10 amp car inline fuse, and 2 batteries have a 15 amp car fuse, just in case.  The wires come in the trailer, run up to the ceiling, over the door, and are mounted right below the ceiling on the wall between DR and horse area.  Each one has a cigarette lighter outlet.  Also connected to the outlet is a battery charge level indicator also screwed to the wall.

All of my 12 volt accessories, water pump, fan, lights, etc. have a cigarette plug connected to them.  I just plug them into an outlet.  When that outlet runs out of charge I move to the next one.

I also have a heavy duty extension cord that runs from the hitch to the inside of the trailer with an outlet strip.  My air conditioner cord also runs to the hitch.  It works great with a generator.  I leave the generator in the back of the truck, and plug everything into it.  I have a 3000 generator.  But I can run my 110 fridge, AC, microwave etc. on the generator, or plug it into an electrical campsite and run everything with electric, except my lights and water pump always work on 12 volt.

Sorry long winded.  Hope it explains it.  Whoever did the work did a great job.  I know it sounds like wires running all over, but they run together and are neat and zip stripped together inside hose that acts like conduit. 

Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-08-19 9:55 PM (#123817 - in reply to #123690)

Extreme Veteran

That's a great description - very easy to follow.

Thank you!!

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2010-08-20 2:09 AM (#123830 - in reply to #123690)

Elite Veteran

So, If your stuck using ice-chests for a while.... what about using dry-ice? I bought one of those 5 day ice chests thats supposed to keep ice...well, ice for 5 days. They don't of course. I worry about things not staying cold enough like meats,eggs, milk. I have two chests, one for drinks, the other for food.
I have never worked with or used dry ice for anything. Please advise.
dman
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2010-08-20 11:16 AM (#123848 - in reply to #123690)

Norcold makes a 12v / 110 refer/freezer unit that works great. no leveling required and low energy consumption. You set the cool level. We run 2-6 volt batteries and with small weekender can stay for 4-5 days no problem. 40 gal roof mount water tank, coleman water heater, buddy heater, interior/exterior lights. We use the small 1 lb tanks/refilled so no on board gas or water lines. Very simple set up but enough for us.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)