'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Horse trailer polishing?

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-08-22 11:18 AM
30 replies, 15415 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

garthlocklin
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2010-07-31 9:53 PM (#123054)
Subject: Horse trailer polishing?

Hello, I am an auto detailer for 25 years and i am working for a customer who owns a '04 4 star horse trailer with LQ. I have been buffing and polishing the aluminum siding for about 12 hours now, on one side and i can't get it to look like a mirror like the customer wants and expects. He bought it used and it was acid washed at one time but he refuses to let me acid wash it again. So, i use aluminum cutting compound, aluminum polish "blue magic" and i wipe it down with a microfiber towel and it shines pretty good, but not like a mirror. And, you can still see micro spotting of the previous acid wash but "thank God" the customer is OK with that. I tried to use "Mothers" aluminum polish to enhance the shine, it just sticks to the previous work and turns black and i have to redo it again with Blue Magic. What am i missing? Customer is getting annoyed because i am taking too long and he needs to use it. I still have to do the entire other side. Thanks in advance.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
tr0y
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2010-07-31 11:33 PM (#123058 - in reply to #123054)
Subject: RE: Horse trailer polishing?

Veteran

I don't know how to get that mirror shine but if you do find it I would love to know how.

T
Tim
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2010-08-01 6:45 AM (#123064 - in reply to #123054)

Regular

Metal Wax.............sold by JMT distribution
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-08-01 11:00 AM (#123067 - in reply to #123054)

Expert

If the metal is in rough shape, first sanding it with 280 grit paper with a random orbit sander will smooth things out. Then using a wool bonnet and a Tripoli compound, you can easily buff the metal to a high gloss. Wipe off the compound with a degreaser and then finish with this:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=3892&familyName=3M+Marine+Metal+Restorer+and+Polish

The finished metal will look like a stainless mirror. For a deeper gloss tone, the metal can also be tinted by buffing with a jewler's rouge compound, before the final polish is applied.

soundhorse
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2010-08-02 7:32 AM (#123088 - in reply to #123054)

Regular

Try www.perfectpolish.com I use their products, easy to work with.
oklahoma horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-08-02 10:02 AM (#123091 - in reply to #123054)

Regular

I have a steel trailer that has good paint - but it is flat. Any suggestions? Waxing, polishing, clear coating?
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-08-02 3:52 PM (#123104 - in reply to #123054)

Expert

One thing that hasn't been addressed concerning aluminum polishing, is the condition of the metal's surface before the polishing is attempted. Aluminum can be cast, rolled and wrought, and the surfaces of each will vary, as will the process to provide a reflective surface. A rolled sheet of .040" installed on a trailer side,  will have a different surface than a .125" wrought extrusion, particularly one that has been acid etched.

Many of the videos available on the internet, show polishing techniques on relativel smooth materials. The one of an Airstream that had to have its finish first stripped and then polished, accurately spoke of the numerous hours the project involved. The whole project concerned the usage of various compounds, to achieve the final finish.

On heavier guage metal where errosion and a more rough surface is involved, the initial steps can be more aggressive. Instead of spending countless hours with a compound to first smooth the metal, sand paper can be used. This will greatly reduce the total amount of labour needed to effect the final finish. Most compounds will remove sanding marks in soft metals such as aluminum;  #280 grit on a random orbital sander, #320 on an oscillating sander. It's not recommended using a circular sander to smooth sand a metal surface.

Each job, while having similarities, may involve different materials and efforts to achieve the desired results. Knowing which ones are applicable, will save you some time and expense.

garthlocklin
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2010-08-02 5:54 PM (#123106 - in reply to #123054)

Thank you folks for all the tips. I have reviewed the perfect polish video and the blackfire polish system and they seem like great products, maybe i will buy them in the future. As for now i know i am doomed; the customer won't let me use acid or sandpaper on the rough spotted aluminum and he sits in a chair and watches me do it, while i work. Hopefully i can break even on the job as it is...if i consider making $1 or $2 an hour making money. So, i have to polish the same spot over and over again before it is shiny enough to move onto the next spot. Been working at night because of the incredible heat this time of year, at least the customer gives me cold water and lets me work at night at his place. It's all my fault anyway; i asked for the job and i got the job and now i have to finish the job. Oh well.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-08-02 7:44 PM (#123108 - in reply to #123054)

Expert

Acid will not smooth a piece of aluminum and will make your efforts more difficult. Will the  owner let you use a green Scotch brite on the hook and loop pad of a random orbit sander?

Slavery supposedly went out with Lincolin

heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2010-08-02 7:45 PM (#123109 - in reply to #123091)

Veteran

My partner and I spent a day and half this past weekend washing & waxing the truck and steel trailer. We use a product called Liquid Glass. Rig shines so bright it hurts your eyes :) ! You let the rig "bake" in the sun for 4 hours after application.

Brenda

garthlocklin
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2010-08-03 8:31 PM (#123150 - in reply to #123054)

Thanks again for your support! I have been using scotch brite pads to wipe the aluminum compund on and in some, before i buff it. My roots as a car detailer started in NJ, where i grew up. Been in Central AR. for over 14 years now; best "move" i ever made in my life (regarding any other aspect, of it). Liquid Glass is my "favorite" car polish of all time and i have been using it ever since 1992. I know the inventor/owner of the stuff. My own antique car has 15 layers of "LG" on it. Although the 35 year old 4 door Dodge isn't worth much in the antique car world, at least i have one of the shiniest cars in town and in the show. Plus, i can drive it to the show vs. bringing it on a trailer. That is the "real secret" behind LG. Do the "preclean" step, and the 2nd step and wait 4 hours in the sun. Do it again the next day. Do it once a day for 5 or 15 days. The more layers you add, each layer adds a microthin coating of polish each time, more is less. You'll even notice your wet rag of polish wont stick to certain spots after 4 or 5 applications. The inventor "Mr. H." always asked, "What is the slipperiest surface?" Wet ice on wet ice. A chemist turned eccentric business man. All his cars were "top of the line". I was glad to get to know him when i lived in NJ. He always said "25 coats of LG will resist rock chips." He paid his dues to get to where he is today. I suppose "Mr. H" is about age 72 or so now. Go to the LG website and look at his new product. "LEGEND" Auto Polish. All i gotta say is....."Some people have a lot of balls!"
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2010-08-04 12:59 AM (#123154 - in reply to #123150)

Expert

Would that be because: it claims to increase speed of racing type vehicles,or,because the price of a 16oz bottle is $99?13
garthlocklin
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2010-08-04 5:26 AM (#123155 - in reply to #123054)

Ha ha!! I didn't know using Legend would help increase my speed!! The part i read was using 25 coats of Legend will resist rock chips....i always heard using 25 coats of LG polish, the can with the red corvette on it, would do the same thing for $24 for 16 oz. So, apparently Mr. H has changed his packaging and now charges much more money for the same stuff!! Just look at all the products concerning car care cleaning and polishing on the market today. "My snake oil is better than your snake oil!" Car, boat cleaning products is a "big" business. A guy like me spends his hard earned money on "snake oil" and has to beg for work for minimum wage to get to use it. I don't want to be a detailer anymore. Everyone who calls me wants me to work for less and less. And, most of my competition just got out of prison or is on drugs so they are willing to work for whatever they can get. I am going to sell all my stuff and go get a "job" at a local call center for $9 an hour and sit in the a/c on my butt and answer phones. Hey!! I could even work on a rainy day!!
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2010-08-04 8:12 AM (#123158 - in reply to #123155)

Expert

I see your point.I think I'd rather have you detail one of my rigs or vehicles than someone that just got out of prison or is needing some dope $ however,but,understandable.

I've always loved the product "MOther's California Gold" in the red can.Used that on my Corvette that I used to own (long ago) and it's a really good wax,requires some elbow grease,tho.Others swear by Blue Coral,etc.I have heard good things about Liquid Glass and would like to apply it to the white enamel section of my LQ trailer.

But I"ll be blunt: I'm not ABOUT to apply 25 coats of it,LOL! One ought to do it,for me,especially at the price.Still not cheap,even for the 16oz can of it.

But that "Legend" stuff is ridiculous.Wonder how many cans of that your ole buddy will sell? I had to laugh at the idea of it increasing speed.Maybe a miniscule,tiny,unmeasurable amount,but,hey,for a difference in price I think I could live with slower speed.9

diggerdoo
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2010-08-04 3:12 PM (#123179 - in reply to #123109)

Veteran

Originally written by heritagelanefarm on 2010-08-02 7:45 PM

My partner and I spent a day and half this past weekend washing & waxing the truck and steel trailer. We use a product called Liquid Glass. Rig shines so bright it hurts your eyes :) ! You let the rig "bake" in the sun for 4 hours after application.

Brenda

Did you use a buffer to put it on?  Will anything work to shine up steel that is dulled by the sun?

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-08-04 3:37 PM (#123185 - in reply to #123091)

Expert

Originally written by oklahoma horse on 2010-08-02 11:02 AM

I have a steel trailer that has good paint - but it is flat. Any suggestions? Waxing, polishing, clear coating?

Something like this might help:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=9900&familyName=Garry%27s+Royal+Satin+Marine+and+RV+Wax

heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2010-08-05 5:35 PM (#123225 - in reply to #123179)

Veteran

The only buffer we used was "elbow grease!" And, no there will not be 25 coats of LG on the rig. By the way, we got the LG on clearance sale at Auto Zone for $8.99/can.

Brenda

garthlocklin
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2010-08-05 5:41 PM (#123226 - in reply to #123054)

Hey!!! It's all good. I am really lucky!!! My favorite quote i have used since the recession started is, "I'm not broke, i'm just outta money". I'll probably continue to be a detailer and i do want to pursue aluminum polishing more, but i will just have to get paid better to do it. I have a few more days on my customer's trailer, but at least he lets me work from 6am till about 10am and when it gets hot i leave and he doesn't complain because he see's progress and anybody else he hires for a job works for a day or two and just quits coming back! So, at least i show up everyday with a smile and i get 3 or 4 hours of work done. I usually take August off every year as it is because it's so hot here; i saved for my vacation and now i just have to work another few days to get this job done before i get to take off of work for a few weeks. I buy stuff from autogeek.net nowadays. I always heard California Gold was good stuff but i also know pure carnuba wax is whitish looking and has no smell. When i do a nice car for a customer and get full price i usually do 1st step LG precleaner, 2 coats LG polish and a final coat of P21s wax. It gives any surface a deep rich shine, even on white. I'll do the 1st coat of polish and let it bake in the sun, then do interior detailing and a few hours later come back and do step 2 polish and then P21s. Most car waxes claim "carnuba" but why do they smell like banana's like Meguiar's Carnuba does? Why is the product colored yellow? Probably to hide all the petroleum distilents used to make it and to stretch main product ingredients for more profit. If i am going to use cheap car wax i prefer KIT. Although i have noticed they have also changed the formula in the last few years...the old stuff in the can was hard to remove and now the spray wax is off the market and the new stuff in the can is easier to get off the car. Besides, i can get it anywhere, cheap. Autogeek was great when they only target marketed specialty detailers like me. Now they advertise on FB and everywhere else and that has really hurt my business and i buy less and less from them. Today's world is...."Its all about the money". I lost a few customers who found out what i use and they decided to do it themselves and they now buy from autogeek too. Oh well. Go ahead! Do it yourself!! It's hard work and i am 50 now and i like working part time. But, just looking at Autogeek or Proper RV care website and others....new products like LG have arrived. Wolfgang, etc. Same polymer micro rejuvinating formulated technology, to make your vehicle the shiniest in town!! It's all "snake oil". It's no wonder Mr. H decided to market Legend. The more you pay for a product, the better it is!! Which brings me to another theory of my own discovery. Every car/truck out there is going to be regarded as a "POS" at some point in it's life. So, us consumers have to decide if we want to drive a $2,000 POS, or a $20,000 POS, or a $200,000 POS. Whatever piece of machinery you buy to carry your butt down the road will depreciate rapidly and eventually be a POS. And, you'll spend more money than you want to, to keep your POS maintained and looking good. That is my "unofficial" theory and i am sticking to it!
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2010-08-06 8:51 AM (#123242 - in reply to #123226)

Expert

Those are good points,garth,and,you're right.It's all relative to what someone decides they want to drive,how they want to look,the type of vehicle they want to own and the use of it,and the amount of time,money and labor they want to put in to keep it looking nice.It does matter come trade in time.

I always detailed my own vehicles,also.I bought a book and orbital buffer and would spend a Saturday twice a year doing it.(I was single,then,too,without kids around.) I had 2 Honda Accords and the color was called "Merlot" I believe.It was a metallic deep burgundy on both of them.When I traded,the guys couldn't believe the finish and how nice it was.Honda did make a good finish,however.

I would wash,then apply cleaner.buff off.Then apply polish,buff off.Then apply a glaze by hand,then a wax.After that,a margureita would be applied to me LOL! (I'm just kidding.)It was a LOT of work,thus,my feeling on the 25 coats of whatever on a horse trailer painted panels.Acid washing and then washing with a protectant is enough,it is tantamount,to me,to washing a Greyhound bus or even the "Titanic" were she still around.

jakefreese
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-08-07 4:36 PM (#123266 - in reply to #123054)

Regular

http://englishcustompolishing.com/usca/aluminum1.htmlI saved a set of alcoa wheels like this.
garthlocklin
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2010-08-07 7:24 PM (#123268 - in reply to #123054)

I agree crowleysridgegirl. Keeping a vehicle cleaned and waxed, no matter what it is has long term benefits. Especially at trade in time. Most dealers can recognize a vehicle that had a quick detail waxing just before it got traded vs. a vehicle that has had regular washing and waxing. The paint just last's longer and looks better. Another thought is the better looking my vehicle is, the less likely the cops will pull me over. I don't know why but when i see a car getting pulled over around here, it usually looks dirty and dented to begin with, or it's missing a hubcap. And another thought (although this never happened to me either) is if my vehicle was in a wreck and the insurance adjuster was going to look at it, i would suspect they would know just by looking that my vehicle was well maintained and hopefully they'd settle up for a little more money. I don't know for sure because it has never happened to me, but when i myself used to buy used cars for dealers i could always spot a quick clean up vs. a well maintained car. Some days i am obsessive about detailing and other days i wish i picked another career.
67Tbird336
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2010-08-11 7:29 PM (#123409 - in reply to #123054)

New User

I've seen ad for Metalwax to clean and shine my horse trailer. Anyone have any experience with this (these) products? Easy to use? Damage potential etc?
garthlocklin
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2010-08-17 2:24 PM (#123661 - in reply to #123054)
Subject: RE: Horse trailer polishing? I GOT IT!!! FLOUR POWER!!!

Actually an old man trucker showed me yesterday. Buff the dull aluminum with a compounding pad or a course rag with Blue Magic Metal Polish you can find at any truck stop. Sprinkle a little flour from your kitchen cabinet on a clean, soft micro fiber towel and wipe off the black residue. Buff again with more polish as needed and wipe it off again with a clean section of the towel and a sprinkle of flour on it and "Wallah!" It should look like a bright and shiny mirror!!! Wipe on clear white carnuba wax and let it dry completely; wipe off with a clean towel and sprinkle some flour on it again and Boom!! Now it is clean and shiny and protected for a while!!! The wax may leave a dull haze but just keep rubbing. Thanks for all your help here folks; that's why i thought i'd share this info. Forget the expensive "snake oil" aluminum polishing systems they try to sell you on the internet. A simple idea is a much better solution.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2010-08-17 6:38 PM (#123675 - in reply to #123661)
Subject: RE: Horse trailer polishing? I GOT IT!!! FLOUR POWER!!!

Expert

Well Garth,I hope you don't mean Metalwax and Streakmaster are "Snake Oil" products that are advertised here on HTW.I've used them both.They're terrific products.

Your method sounds fine,but,some of us have neither the time or inclination to polish an entire aluminum horse trailer with a buffer,a bag of rags and flour.I do happen to know about Blue Magic,and,it is a good product but you're spot on about the black residue,which will happen with any product that is used to polish aluminum regardless of what it is.

From one Arkie to another,peace,and happy polishing.

garthlocklin
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2010-08-18 11:08 AM (#123717 - in reply to #123054)

Hey!!! I don't know!! As a detailer, i am the guy who has to sort out and sift through all the product descriptions and claims. Maybe i'll try Metalwax in the future? I was actually referring to the Blackfire and Nuvite "aluminum polishing systems". Who knows? I am going to apply for a job today at the Humane Society. The reports on the news of a possible double dip recession only means one thing for me....keep working for myself and competing with desperate people for no money or just go get a a job where i can actually help someone. I hope this trailer will be done by friday!!! It's only been 3 weeks of trial and error. Oh, and, i had another realization...it's outside and it keeps oxidizing as i keep polishing it. How do they polish an American Airlines Jet? They roll it into a big air conditioned hanger at night in Ft. Worth TX. and 20 guys get after it. They also only use compound and leave swirl marks all over it; which is what my customer is now complaining about. When you look at your plane from inside the terminal, it looks clean enough....but chances are your still a few hundred feet away from it. Polishing any big aluminum object needs to be inside a garage, at least.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)