'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
looooong trailers

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-03-12 10:33 PM
37 replies, 8204 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

sweetas
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-03-05 7:09 AM (#117260)
Subject: looooong trailers

Regular

Yikes. We just purchased a 4H, LQ trailer, a 32' box. Wow that puppy is long. Are there any tips to learning to turn/drive that thing? It's a little overwhelming trying to figure out which places it might fit. We're planning to remove an old post that's part of our driveway to make turning in there a bit easier. I feel sure we'll get the hang of it, but thought I'd ask the gurus. I watched my husband drive it out this morning (on its way to some scheduled maintenance for an issue we knew it had when we purchased). The wheels of the trailer tracked totally inside the wheel tracks made by the truck (as if it were side by side or another lane, if that makes sense) as he made a not so tight turn in our huge yard. Our plan is to go camping - how do you check out the camp grounds before you go? Thanks for tolerating my rambling questions....
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-03-05 7:45 AM (#117261 - in reply to #117260)
Subject: RE: looooong trailers

Elite Veteran

Call and ask if they have lots than can accommodate your trailer.

Edited by Gone 2010-03-05 7:47 AM
ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2010-03-05 7:55 AM (#117262 - in reply to #117260)

Veteran

My husband can relate!

Last winter we bought a trailer with a 33' box.  We had to redo most of our driveway - at the bottom coming in (and out) of our property and up where we park it to get it turned around.

We ask where we go camping if they have spaces for large trailers.

As far as turning-- everyone told us-- turn as wide as you can-- and don't worry about holding up traffic.

Each time we go out --  my husband gets better and more at ease.   We started out with some close trips just to get the feel of everything.

Good luck and have fun!

nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2010-03-05 8:16 AM (#117264 - in reply to #117260)

Veteran

I went from a gn what has a box of 18 and 7 wide to a gn that is 28 box and 8 wide.  I have a gas pickup and I find I have a tough time getting in and out of gas stations where the pumps face the building.  Seems like too that so many gas stations now days have you driving up towards the building.    I do quite a bit of trail riding I find too that I have a hard time getting into spots that I used to.  Pretty much now forced to camp out in the open rather then in trees.  Have a hard time manvuering around them, those spots are pretty tight now.  Also found that the terrian has to be fairly flat.  If it is rough I then risk ripping the sewage tanks off.  I have to also watch how I turn now.  Gotta go into the other lane and or in the ditch on the other side of the road in some places.  Really have to watach the back end of the trailer so it doesn't cut too short.  

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-03-05 9:10 AM (#117267 - in reply to #117260)

Expert

The best thing to do is practise before your first trip. Hook up, grab some cones and head for a school parking lot. You can drive around the cones and see how the trailer won't follow the trucks wheels. You can practise backing, pulling in close to things etc.

You won't be blocking anyone, running over curbs or upsetting your animals. There's no pressure, and with someone outside giving backing directions, a much easier way to discover your new trailer differences.

A busy street with a loaded rig, is not the time to learn about your new trailer.

sweetas
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-03-05 11:04 AM (#117269 - in reply to #117260)

Regular

I'm sure that's what we need to do - take those cones and go drive around a huge parking lot on the weekend. We will definitely be taking that post down this weekend. I had driven a few other LQ's, same size box, including one that we brought home to look over. Talking to my neighbor (a retired truck maintenance guy who also owns a camper trailer) and he says the wheels on this trailer are set further back, which I feel certain is true, so that is making a big difference! I suppose I'm afraid that some campground that is hours away will tell us they can take big rigs, and we'll drive up there with kids/horses and find out that they CAN'T!! We'll start out locally for sure!
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2010-03-05 4:48 PM (#117270 - in reply to #117260)

Extreme Veteran

Too Funny!  We went from a BP to a 28' on the floor.

Yupper feel your pain.  Sometimes I feel like the village idiot and sometimes I impress myself.

Practice and go sloooowwww.  I hit a tree early last season (no damage that can be seen by anyone besides me)  But very upsetting.

:)

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2010-03-05 5:34 PM (#117272 - in reply to #117260)

Elite Veteran

Like everyone else has said, just practice.I took my trailer on several dry runs just to get the hang of things: Took it to my trainer's when I had a lesson, took it to the show grounds and just "practiced" parking it, etc. No horse and no firm schedule on any of those outings, so I was able to take my time, learn how it handled in traffic and freeway situations, and parking in environments where I was already comfortable. Made the first "live" trip with horses to a show much less stressful.
sweetas
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-03-06 6:36 AM (#117276 - in reply to #117260)

Regular

I may do that - take it to the trainers for practice. I will have to go over there first and make sure there's a place to turn around, though! I know (hope) that one day I will look back and laugh at myself!
dgeesaman
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-03-06 6:44 AM (#117277 - in reply to #117276)

Regular

Originally written by sweetas on 2010-03-06 6:36 AM

I may do that - take it to the trainers for practice. I will have to go over there first and make sure there's a place to turn around, though! I know (hope) that one day I will look back and laugh at myself!

Don't for a minute think that this is a reason to laugh at someone, even yourself. There is no book or driving test that teaches how to handle your rig at your locations. I agree with the parking lot and practicing, the fools are the ones who don't take this new skill seriously.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-03-06 7:33 AM (#117278 - in reply to #117260)

Expert

What's the old saying...? Practice makes perfect.!!! The more you pull and use that trailer, the easier it will become. You'll soon learn where it will and will not fit. There is one thing you can go by, If the average tractor trailer can get into a certain area, you too should eventually be able to wiggle that trailer in there! Our present "run around" trailer is 25' on the floor, 33'oal. We have some friends that have driveways that are too narrow to get into, no matter how far over on the shoulder/wide you swing... Ain't going to fit, so we don't go to their place. The larger trailer (pictured below) is 35' on the floor, 43'oal and there's only a couple places we normally go that we can't get into. This trailer mainly go to the shows, so most of the time there's plenty of room to maneuver it around. Remember, practice, practice, practice. 

<script> window.setTimeout("watermark()",50);  

luvarabs
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2010-03-06 10:51 AM (#117281 - in reply to #117260)

Yeah, like everyone suggested practice, practice, practice....You can never get enough of it...I learned the hard way...Before I got my own trailer, I started showing and trailriding with my older sister...Neither one of us had driven a truck pulling a trailer before...My Dad, who is a farmer, made us get behind the wheel and just go...Needless to say you learn real quick that way...I have a 16 foot bumper pull and pull it around like there is nothing behind my truck..But have a few friends that have "panic attacks" practically at the thought of pulling their little 2 horse trailers, which are bps' cuz none of them camp...The ones that do camp have motor homes or campers...Their husbands make them go to the local school parking lot and practice the day before they go...This happens everytime we go somewhere to ride...They always ask me "Don't you get nervous when you are pulling your trailer"? I tell them "Heck no, I just get in and go cuz I've been doing it for so long....Practice as much as you can with cones at a big empty parking lot...Then you will feel more comfortable with your rig when you hit the road...
301duster
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-03-06 12:21 PM (#117282 - in reply to #117260)

Veteran

My biggest worry on a long trailer is not so much turning, as most of the time you can visualize that with a little practice.  But if you are long and low you won't believe how easy it is to drag the tanks.  I took a set off one time going into a parking lot I had just pulled out of a few days before.  The thing I didn't notice, until it was too late, was the difference in the approach angle from one side to the other.  This trailer had a single drain where the tanks are plumbed together and that's what caught and caused the problem.
sweetas
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-03-06 1:57 PM (#117285 - in reply to #117260)

Regular

Wow, that's alot of stuff to think about. I suppose I was hoping someone had a tip sort of like the one my drivers' ed teacher gave me years ago for parallel parking about when to start cutting your wheels. I can only vaguely remember it now, but it worked every time! And, I figure one of these days I'll be able to go wherever the big rigs go. I had a 2h/dressing room gooseneck for years and that was a piece of cake, although it took a little getting used to. The bumper pull I have now, I hardly even notice back there it's so easy. I look forward to the day (will I ever?) that I feel the same way about the new rig!
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2010-03-06 6:58 PM (#117291 - in reply to #117260)

Elite Veteran

Nobody should make fun of you for practicing because everybody has been there. I got some funny looks from my trainer when I brought my empty trailer the first time, until I explained I was practicing pulling it. He thought I was taking my horse home unannounced. As far as turning, it sounds like you are aware that with a gooseneck the trailer tires track to the inside of the truck tires when turning. I try to not initiate a turn until my trailer tires are at or very near the turn point, especially if there is a fixed obstacle you are turning around (curb, lane divider, etc). Just watch your mirror on the side you are turning towards.
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2010-03-06 7:02 PM (#117292 - in reply to #117285)

Extreme Veteran

I suppose I was hoping someone had a tip sort of like the one my drivers' ed teacher gave me years ago for parallel parking about when to start cutting your wheels. I can only vaguely remember it now, but it

Your big trailer will correct slower when backing than your smaller BP.  I think each trailer is just a little different depending on where the axles are located. After you back it a few times you will get the hang of it. It's similar to your bumper pull in how you turn the wheel but it will be slower to react and then you have to be careful where the truck ends up as well. Sometimes it will seem there's enough room to back the trailer into a turn but there won't be enough room for the truck because it will not move directly with the trailer.

I have been stuck in the forest with my 28ft GN and had to be pulled out backward....Very interesting to say the least. I've been in all sorts of predicatments but the trailer is still in tact, thank goodness, after 10 years. We don't tell the hubby about that adventure :)

Have fun with your new trailer!

BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2010-03-06 7:30 PM (#117293 - in reply to #117260)

Extreme Veteran

Randamtam  You and I need to chat...  I notice by your tag line that you are were we have interest in moving to (Withlacoochee forest)

But back on topic. 

There have been one or two times I thought that I may unload and disconnect at a different angle when in the woods.  But it is amazing it works out.  My wife is a great spotter and we try not to get mad at each other.  Some say we are comical but it does get tense when one wonders what the heck the other is thinking. 

I aggree watch the swing of your trucks nose.

I have been known to make a quick chain saw cut.  But that is a funny story for another day.

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-03-06 8:23 PM (#117295 - in reply to #117260)

Elite Veteran

Also might be a good idea to stop quickly several times to learn how the trailer handles with your truck in stopping quickly. This will tell you if you need to increase or decrease your trailer brake controller.

greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2010-03-06 10:31 PM (#117296 - in reply to #117260)

Extreme Veteran

My suggestion on camping is to stop and walk into any spot (scout) that you aren't pretty sure about before you drive in, it's easier to find another spot sometimes than try to get into one you barely fit in or back out of someplace you don't fit. You'll get used to the turning, mine is 32' but axles are placed more like a 36-40 footer so I swing very wide. If yours is tall watch for low wires and branches, I need 12' to clear.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2010-03-07 12:01 AM (#117299 - in reply to #117260)

Expert

Originally written by sweetas on 2010-03-05 8:09 AM

Yikes. We just purchased a 4H, LQ trailer, a 32' box. Wow that puppy is long. Are there any tips to learning to turn/drive that thing? It's a little overwhelming trying to figure out which places it might fit. We're planning to remove an old post that's part of our driveway to make turning in there a bit easier. I feel sure we'll get the hang of it, but thought I'd ask the gurus. I watched my husband drive it out this morning (on its way to some scheduled maintenance for an issue we knew it had when we purchased). The wheels of the trailer tracked totally inside the wheel tracks made by the truck (as if it were side by side or another lane, if that makes sense) as he made a not so tight turn in our huge yard. Our plan is to go camping - how do you check out the camp grounds before you go? Thanks for tolerating my rambling questions....
You are describing Off-tracking...Give this a read...http://books.google.com/books?id=fejlcu_Opa0C&pg=PA297&lpg=PA297&dq=tractor+trailer+rear+wheels+off-tracking+on+a+turn&source=bl&ots=ze9N27OTiX&sig=qaIL8xTPh8zsXcwg4vTjqWzzCSI&hl=en&ei=bUCTS8L-CdS0tgej-MXUCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CBEQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=tractor%20trailer%20rear%20wheels%20off-tracking%20on%20a%20turn&f=false
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2010-03-07 4:01 AM (#117303 - in reply to #117260)

Extreme Veteran

First of all, take your time. It does take alot of practice. I have an 8' wide 32ft. on the floor. Backing up is the hardest to do. Can't see around the darn thing.
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2010-03-07 11:09 AM (#117310 - in reply to #117260)

Elite Veteran

I think we are a foot or two shorter, but we widened our driveway and put a 30' tube up by the road to accomodate our truck and trailer going in, and coming out... Go to a big church or school parking lot to practice...set up cones and try to manuever around them. Hope you've got enough truck to pull it now, we didn't, so we ended up getting a Sportchassis... it was intimidating at first, now it is unbeleivable. Good Luck and be safe..
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2010-03-07 3:46 PM (#117312 - in reply to #117260)

Elite Veteran

You have already received lots of good advice. No one can emphasize practice enough. One piece of advice I give when training new bus drivers is when turning, take as much room as you can get. If that means when making a right turn you have to use the left lane or even the oncoming lane, do it, but DO IT SAFELY! When backing, pull ahead more than you think you need to be. With a gooseneck you will not turn as soon as you do with a BP, but you can continue the turn tighter with the GN jack knifed to 90 degrees or more if your nose and cab allow it. Again, practice, practice, practice. Good luck.
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2010-03-07 4:01 PM (#117313 - in reply to #117312)

Extreme Veteran

Genbob, that's a very good point about jacknifing truck and trailer. Mine has always cleared but some do not. It would be a good idea to check on purpose to see just how close you can get your cab to the trailer. The closer you can get, the better when working in tight situations. Just be careful when dragging a loaded trailer sideways, you can take off a tire.

BlazingCreekBar, I rode the Withlacoochee (Citrus Tract) yesterday. It's a lovely place. Rode with a couple today at a place near me that live right there on the Citrus tract. Let me know when you want to come down and ride! It's about a 50 minute drive for us. PM me for more info if you would like.

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2010-03-07 4:08 PM (#117314 - in reply to #117260)

Elite Veteran

Tammy- I almost found out the hard way. We traded to an 8' wide trailer and were pulling with a SB 350 CC. When I brought it home last year from storage I checked my turning radius in our yard and found out it was only 43 degrees! Bought a long box truck ASAP. Still have the SB for a backup though as my wife would rather drive that (w/o the trailer) than the LB. All we drive is trucks so I guess that's OK.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)