'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
2010 Lakota Charger, personal review

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-05-16 10:19 PM
27 replies, 34783 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

leapfarm
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2009-09-19 11:26 AM (#110860)
Subject: 2010 Lakota Charger, personal review

I know a lot of people consult this forum when shopping for horse trailers, so I thought I would give you some of my thoughts on my new Lakota Charger 2H slant gooseneck LQ.

First of all, it is a beautiful trailer.  The painted aluminum skin is a great color--sort of sandy metallic-- that will go with a lot of trucks (mine is white and looks good with the various white parts on the trailer) and is a nice change from all of the white or silver aluminum.  It hauls great behind my Dodge 2000 diesel 2500 RAM.  (I did put new heavyduty shocks on my truck because they really needed replacing!)

The horse box is very nice with rubber mats and wall padding and I like the full partition (stud panel) between stalls, something that like any feature has advantages and disadvantages. I like having the flexibility of 2 tie rings per stall. I have a horse that will load in anything and so the height of the step up is not an issue for me, but it is a bit of a high step up, I think, at 17 inches.  However, I have spoken with people who bought a Lakota b/c of the high step up, so each to his own.  The trailer would be easy to put a ramp on if needed. The drop down windows are great but I wish there was a drop down window on the hip side; it is only a slider and so it can be a bit hot in there. (it has been hot period where I live since I have had the trailer)  I had fans installed for not a lot of money that run off the battery.  A feature that I really wanted and love is the escape door on the first stall which is pretty hard to find on 2H slant models.  I like it when camping to be able to go in and out that way.

I think Lakota needs to change where they put the external horse tie on the offside of the trailer--right side. Obviously they made the trailer first and put the awning on, so the tie on that side is right up against a leg of the awning and would be tough to get a normal size rope through...kind of dumb mistake in my opinion.  I had a tie added on the rear of that side. 

I also had the majority of the logos removed---I know, it is a logo that some people really like, but man, it was just overkill being on both sides, the back and the nose.  I left the one on the back.  That is an aesthetic choice I know.

The trailer came with LoadStar Karrier tires, radial, 16 inch, load D and I have been on this forum with my concerns about those.  Obviously, no problems yet but only a few hundred miles on them from me, plus delivery from Alabama to NC and the original delivery from Indiana to Alabama.  We will see.  Would prefer American made tires, but that is a whole different story, huh?

The hydraulic jack rocks!!  I have cranked all my life and this is my first hydraulic and it is so smooth and quiet and it can be locked as a safety feature against theft.  It was nice of Lakota to put a storage tube under the nose for the sewer line and provide a line, but it is WAY to short, so had to buy a longer tube and mount it under nose and bought a longer tube. 

I love the LQ and everything works great.  It is small and compact but that was exactly what I was looking for.  the entire box is only 17.5 feet long and the LQ has about a 6.5 ft. short wall and about a 11 foot long wall.  Shower, toilet, vanity, all good and of course love the walk through to horse area.  Stereo rocks with inside and outside speakers.  Awning is reasonable to extend, although I am new to a LQ, so still a bit of a challenge for me...need to keep practicing. All the power amenities are great.  The safety features of CO2 monitors, fire alarms, etc. all work well and appliances are great and visually nice...hate white appliances, these are black.

The feature that I am LEAST happy with is the size of the bed in the nose.  It is a foam pad that is cut to fit the nose which is sort of v shaped and it is a funky size.  It has flatpanel TV that swings out and so it will be tough to put much more thickness there.  Lakota might could rework that space some. 

The Charger is obviously the "stepped down" or "value" line for Lakota and there are some features that would be nice but are not there b/c of the price, but that is to be expected.  For example, there is not a swing out tack in the rear tack, no external storage box for cords, etc. (not a lot of room b/c small trailer).  However, for the money, I think this is a really good value, a sweet little trailer and it really is great looking and performing well so far.

Oh yeah, I don't know the rules on this forum, whether I am supposed to give my opinion on the dealer, but Dixie Horse and Mule was awesome to deal with.  The guy that delivered spent 3 hours with me going over everything (never had a LQ before) and the sales people and owner were real pros...class act.

Hope this helps someone else that is shopping. 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-09-19 11:57 AM (#110861 - in reply to #110860)
Subject: RE: 2010 Lakota Charger, personal review

Expert

Excellent Lakota trailer opinion/review there, April.... Probably one of the most trusted and honest dealers in the world also.... 

quote... The hydraulic jack rocks!!  I have cranked all my life and this is my first hydraulic and it is so smooth and quiet and it can be locked as a safety feature against theft.

"The hydraulic jack rocks!!"  You got that right, my wife doesn't mind helping hook up to the trailer now!!!

Ncatanz
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-10-01 9:32 AM (#111301 - in reply to #110860)

Veteran

I bought a 3 horse gooseneck from Gary Stites in London Ohio back in February and love it also.  My only complaint was the rubber on the ramps,  too smooth,  so I glued down some rougher rubber and it is much better.  My husband was not interested in the Charger model because he wanted the thicker aluminum skin on the regular Lakota model.  I was new to LQ trailers too so I had a lot to learn.  I tell everyone though that the greatest luxury in life is hauling a couple hours down the road with your horse and being able to go to the bathroom in your own private clean bathroom and wash your hands in hope soapy water.  Life is good !
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-10-01 6:20 PM (#111328 - in reply to #110860)

Extreme Veteran

Great write up. Washing your hands and using your own facilities is second to being able to bring ICE CREAM! :)
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2014-02-24 10:15 AM (#157630 - in reply to #110860)

Extreme Veteran

I just ordered my new Lakota after camping in my little 4' SW Exiss which I loved. Moving up to larger LQ. Am wondering about face screens for the horses' dropdown windows. A model I looked through at Arabian Horse Fair in AZ didn't seem to have bottom brackets on which to snap screens or maybe I overlooked something. Can you Lakota Charger owners fill me in on screens? Thanks. (I prefer screens over traveling with fly masks on the horse.)
CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2014-02-24 3:19 PM (#157643 - in reply to #110860)

Extreme Veteran

Since it is a small trailer, I am assuming it is not 8' wide. My friend has a 2011 Charger 3 horse that is not 8' wide. The slant does not telescope and will not lie flat against the rear tack wall, creating a loading hazzard for the first or second horse. It would be really hard to load a really big wide hipped horse. Has Lakota fixed this with a telescoping divider? Also her butt chain is really cheap and attached much too high. Even a tall horse can scootch under it. Have they changed this?Just curious and not trying to bad mouth the trailer. Just a couple issues noted as we caravan together a lot.
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2014-02-24 6:21 PM (#157646 - in reply to #157643)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the input even if not positive, as I appreciate all opinions. That will be a concern. I looked at models, but it's so difficult to envision every last detail. My trailer will be titled a 2015, so hopefully issues such as you mentioned will have been addressed. I originally priced out an 8' wide, but changed at the last minute for the narrower so I can see better behind the trailer. I know I've sacrificed some room, but I travel alone so much that I want to pull more what I'm used to width wise. In exchange, I opted for a slide which I feel I will like when camping.Again, thanks for the heads up. I can have a tweak on the butt chain, but the divider will be something I will have to live with. Hubby doesn't ride, so traveling is usually just trailering a single horse.
Three 4 Luck
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2014-02-25 9:12 AM (#157659 - in reply to #110860)

Regular

When I have looked at cheaper trailers like Lakota or a bison, the construction and details in the horse area is what turned me away. If you don't haul much, that might not be such a priority, but I'm on the road with horses A LOT.
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2014-02-25 11:56 AM (#157668 - in reply to #157659)

Extreme Veteran

I shopped around and compared different brands. I had bought a nice little Exiss back in '03 and had the dressing room finished out. It was a jewel of a trailer and hated to part with it. I chose the Lakota for several reasons. I do travel a lot with my horse. Hubby doesn't ride, but we take at least one long trip a year--AZ, WY, CO and other western states. I wouldn't buy a trailer that I felt was unsafe for the horses. I do believe that any model whether it's car, truck, trailer, etc. can have issues. Friends bought a brand new expensive Sundowner only to learn the axles weren't aligned. Just sayin'.
goz63
Reg. Dec 2011
Posted 2014-02-25 4:07 PM (#157678 - in reply to #110860)

Veteran

Agreed Ace. The horse area on our Lakota is lined and insulated on all four sides. We also liked that you can duct the AC to the horse area. I don't know anyone else that does that. The welds are strong as well as hinges. We have had ours for two years now and are very pleased. I would buy another Lakota again if we ever decide to upgrade to a bigger trailer.
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2014-02-25 5:13 PM (#157683 - in reply to #157678)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the endorsement, Goz63. This was a huge decision for me just like when I bought my little Exiss. The kids have all moved on, so we decided to go with a full LQ. There are a lot of options that a buyer can include, and I didn't get the ducted AC to the horse area. In fact, I just saw that option on a printout after reading your comment. There were SO many tough decisions I had to make, and I had to draw the line somewhere anyway. I did order the heavier axles along with additional tail lights--things like that to keep safe traveling a priority. Praying that decisions were for the best.
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2014-02-25 5:42 PM (#157684 - in reply to #110860)

Elite Veteran

Ace, I bought screens, I think Kensington brand. There is an eye at each corner. I got rings and screw set from Sundowner, and installed my self. PS... in an EBY!
goz63
Reg. Dec 2011
Posted 2014-02-25 7:26 PM (#157688 - in reply to #110860)

Veteran

Ace, we ordered ours from a dealer in Cuba MO. We had all kinds of things added to ours that Lakota dealers didn't even know we could get. We have a tray ceiling in the goose neck, stainless sink and fixtures in the bathroom, we had the tv put on the driver side vs the curb side so we could see it better from the couch, we had the step into the LQ made twice as deep because my wife found it difficult to use the shorter step. I even had backer board put above the door so I could mount a hat rack. If your trailer is not completed yet, you can add things like that. Call AJ at Lakota, she has helped us when we wanted to get things added. Good luck and I hope you enjoy yours as much as we love ours. It really feels like home when we travel.
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2014-02-25 9:48 PM (#157691 - in reply to #157684)

Extreme Veteran

Walkin, Tks for the Kensington screen tip. They look terrific. I already told my dealer I want him to add the rings if they're not already standard. I plan on ordering the Kensington once I am assured of the fit. The quality sounds great. Like your trailer although not readily familiar with the brand. Another deciding factor for me in choosing Lakota was the dealer is only 30 minutes away and a former HS student of my hubby's. Trustworthy and good guy.
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2014-02-26 8:23 AM (#157696 - in reply to #157688)

Extreme Veteran

Goz63, Wow, thanks for the tip. I will surely think of anything I might want changed at this point. My trailer is still in production. I am thinking of adding a hay rack since it will be cheaper to have it done at the factory as trying to add one later. Since I changed at the very last minute from an 8' down to the 6'9", I might not have room to deepen the step. That is a great idea and one I'd sure be interested in. Do you have a picture to share? I will pm you my e-mail address. My trailer isn't due till late March or first of April.
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2014-02-26 8:54 AM (#157697 - in reply to #110860)

Elite Veteran

The escape door window for some reason isn't the same size and the other 2, even though all 3 are drop downs. I took the Kensington to the local Amish tack shop, this is when I lived in Delaware, and he folded it over and sewed it to the size I needed. All 3 are like new. ( only hauled 3 horses in it 3 times ).
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2014-02-26 10:30 AM (#157702 - in reply to #157696)

Expert

Originally written by aceliberty on 2014-02-26 8:23 AM

Goz63, Wow, thanks for the tip. I will surely think of anything I might want changed at this point. My trailer is still in production. I am thinking of adding a hay rack since it will be cheaper to have it done at the factory as trying to add one later. Since I changed at the very last minute from an 8' down to the 6'9", I might not have room to deepen the step. That is a great idea and one I'd sure be interested in. Do you have a picture to share? I will pm you my e-mail address. My trailer isn't due till late March or first of April.

Was wondering why the change from 8' to 6'9" ?

aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2014-02-26 10:55 AM (#157705 - in reply to #157702)

Extreme Veteran

Re: change from 8'. A friend who owns several farms and hauls his QrH racing mares with foals back and forth to his OK ranch told me it is difficult seeing behind his larger camping trailer. Although I would've liked the extra room, seeing behind the trailer is tantamount to me since I travel alone so much. Another factor is that I ordered a 2H, thus only allowing for a single manger with the storage beneath. The trade off was to include a slide thus providing more room once I camped. When the quotes came in, the 6'9" with slide was several thousand cheaper. I wanted to pull what I was more comfortable with since my other trailer was 7'.
t5884cc
Reg. Mar 2012
Posted 2014-02-26 11:39 AM (#157706 - in reply to #110860)

New User

I have a 2011 Lakota Warrior 3 horse and love it.  The only thing is the battery converter is junk, i had a WFCO and replaced it a year after i got the trailer.  Its lightweight and easy to pull.  For the money  I spent and its my first living quarter trailer you can't beat it.   I probably will sell it in the spring the boyfriend has one so we don't need another living quarter trailer :(  I will be getting a bumper pull and would like to get a lakota, i think they are well built trailer :)  I liked that the butt bar is higher, its about time they started making them better, they are suppose to keep the horse off of the door.  I have seen two horse get stuck under the older butt bars and it was not pretty, i hate the older style butt bars!   Enjoy your new trailer!  If you do have an any issues/questions the service at Lakota are pretty good!
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2014-02-26 1:51 PM (#157710 - in reply to #157705)

Expert

Originally written by aceliberty on 2014-02-26 10:55 AM

Re: change from 8'. A friend who owns several farms and hauls his QrH racing mares with foals back and forth to his OK ranch told me it is difficult seeing behind his larger camping trailer. Although I would've liked the extra room, seeing behind the trailer is tantamount to me since I travel alone so much. Another factor is that I ordered a 2H, thus only allowing for a single manger with the storage beneath. The trade off was to include a slide thus providing more room once I camped. When the quotes came in, the 6'9" with slide was several thousand cheaper. I wanted to pull what I was more comfortable with since my other trailer was 7'.

Completly understand...

aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2014-02-26 5:19 PM (#157716 - in reply to #110860)

Extreme Veteran

retento: Literally LOL at your quotes.
miss okie
Reg. Nov 2012
Posted 2014-03-08 11:07 PM (#157912 - in reply to #110860)

I have owned mine now for 1.5 years and really like it, but do agree with most of what the original post said. I have ramp on mine, but it would have been a higher step up for the horses.

The tie rings should be placed elsewhere, i agree.

The mattress, yep agree big time. It's just crapy but it is the same mattress as what most of the other trailers come with. Can't fit a bottom sheet to it. The placement of the thermostadt is in the way of the mattress. Have to lift the mattress everytime you use the thermostadt. UGH!

No butt bar in mine, very dangerous. With mine the ramp is the bottom half of the doors, good and bad. The two batteries are so hard to get to. You also need child hands to get them out.

The LQ are beautiful and functional, huge fridge and freezer, beautiful bathroom and cabinitry thruout. Overall like the trailer and would purchase another, am going to purchase another!!

I did not have the greatest of luck with the factory trying to get two parts. Wouldn't work with me as we were moving from one state to another and needed help ASAP.

They did not go out of their way to help.

Color01
Reg. Jul 2013
Posted 2014-03-09 5:55 AM (#157913 - in reply to #110860)

Regular

We went shopping for the last 2 week for a new 3h affordable Lakote, And we came home with a Kiefer Freedom 3, 3H with 8ft SW LQ....it Came with all the Bells and Whistles, and the LQ interior quality, was a huge step up compared to the Bison, and I saved me a lot of money.
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2014-05-16 8:52 AM (#159071 - in reply to #110860)

Extreme Veteran

Got my new Lakota and love it. Haven't had time to take it camping although I've hauled several hundred miles to parks for day riding. I have no complaints so far, just things I am super pleased about. I had my dealer install the face screens, added a tie ring here and there, minor details.When ordering a trailer, it is super important to thoroughly check all the add-ons. As a buyer, one can have a slide out saddle rack, upgraded tires, etc. I upgraded to heavier axles on mine, an outside step into the tack area (really cool for us short gals, saddle bosses with a wire blanket bar--things like that. I sold the mattress and new comforter that came with mine since I had a new queen tempurpedic I had in the trailer I sold. It was a spring mattress and could've been okay. Overall, I am more than pleased with the trailer. BTW, the divider has a spring latch and folds flat to the wall. I like the butt bar that is flexible. The old trailer had a solid bar, and I was always in fear when unloading a horse that a leg would get caught on it if not flush in the corner. This bar is flimsy, but I'd rather have it give way than have to always worry about positioning it just right when unloading.
whoaboy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2014-05-16 11:59 AM (#159072 - in reply to #110860)

Regular

I agree with the butt bar being too high up, served no purpose for my horses. Had a horse duck out under it with no problem. I had a dealer remount it lower so it serves a purpose now. I also think they put too many graphics on the trailer. Mine doesn't have a big enough tack door to have a swing out saddle rack (was going to change this to swing out and found out it won't work) Also agree it is a big step up for the horse and the person. Next awning I get will be an auto one, mine pulls out easy enough but putting it up requires more muscle than I have to get it to latch on the corners and I have to get a ladder. I have yet to ever get it to latch on the first or even second attempt. This is a problem with lots of them, so it's not a Lakota thing.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)