'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
What the h@!! is wrong with people?!

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-08-21 3:01 PM
25 replies, 5918 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

luckeys71
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2009-08-17 2:34 PM (#109499)
Subject: What the h@!! is wrong with people?!

Regular

I just got back from trailering my horse to the trainer's barn (about 12 miles) for a lesson.  On the way back home, I was going along the road and approaching a place where two lanes merge into one.  I always make sure I am in the left lane, so I don't have to worry about trying to get over.  It was before noon, so traffic was light.  Well, right as I am getting to where the right lane runs out, I notice a tractor trailer coming up from behind me in the soon to be nonexistent right lane.  He was trying to pass me and get in front of me AS the lane was running out!  He was already half on the shoulder.  Why didn't this moron just slide in behind me?  I ended up hitting my brakes to let the jerk in, because I had no idea what he might do next, all with my quite valuable horse in the trailer.  You would think if anyone would understand the physics of hauling it would be a truck driver.  I so wish he had one of those "How's my driving?" stickers on the back!  I jammed on my horn, but the idiot never gave an inch.  Oh, yeah, and I ended up right next to him at the next stop light (the road widens right back out to two lanes, again in about 1/4 mile).  I was turning there, so I didn't get to look at him and yell at him. 

And I had just been congratulating our locals on the way to the trainer's at how courteous MOST of them are in the area around my barn, as MOST of them are really good about keeping a nice following distance from my trailer.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
sinful
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-08-17 3:24 PM (#109506 - in reply to #109499)
Subject: RE: What the h@!! is wrong with people?!

Extreme Veteran

It takes all kinds doesn't it.  Some people are just idiots, but it surprised me that a trucker would do something that stupid.
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2009-08-17 3:24 PM (#109507 - in reply to #109499)

Elite Veteran

I had one cut between me and the car I was passing just as the passing lane was running out too. I still get furious every time I think about it. The kid driving just happened to stop at the next convenience store for gas and I pulled up next to him before realizing who it was. There was not a doubt it was the same vehicle-same damaged quarter panel. So obviously he had learned nothing from getting hit/hitting someone. I NEVER have confronted anyone about their driving before and when I saw it was a kid I started out nicely asking if he had ever pulled a horse trailer before. When he said yes I let him have it. Verbally. He didn't stay to fill up his gas tank.
adeberti
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2009-08-17 3:32 PM (#109509 - in reply to #109499)

Veteran

We had several instances of bad drivers (we live in the BayArea California....lot's of bad drivers and few with sympathies about horse trailers): there are alwasy the ones that try to pass you on the right when two lanes are merging...and a few time they were those big cement blocks/barriers on the right.

As for truck drivers...well we usually go to events with one of then and: he is overloaded by a few thousand lbs and his tires are kind of saggy....but at least he admits it...

Edited by adeberti 2009-08-17 3:37 PM
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-08-17 3:48 PM (#109511 - in reply to #109499)

Expert

RE: What the h@!! is wrong with people?!

My first thought would be ALOT!

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-08-17 5:16 PM (#109517 - in reply to #109499)

Expert

We were in the center lane of a three lane highway going 65 mph, when a car in the left lane cut directly across the front of us to make the exit ramp. He was so close, that part of his car disappeared under our hood line. I had to nail the brakes and jerk the wheel as hard to the right as I could to avoid him. We did, but the next half a mile of tail wagging was pure hell.

People don't think, and if they do, don't care at all.

Gard

Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-08-17 8:18 PM (#109524 - in reply to #109506)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by sinful on 2009-08-17 2:24 PM

It takes all kinds doesn't it.  Some people are just idiots, but it surprised me that a trucker would do something that stupid.

There are all kinds of jerks out there driving trucks these days.  Just because they are truckers doesn't mean they are either courteous or intelligent.  I come from a long line of professional truckers, and they all lament the quality of drivers today.

Marla

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2009-08-17 8:55 PM (#109531 - in reply to #109517)

Expert

we have had our share of stuff pulling a horse trailer,you can imagine,living in Arkansas.Usually people will sit there looking at you until you are nearly on them,then,decide to pull out in front of you then poke along about 25MPH.I don't think they realize or CARE that you can't stop on a dime.

The most amazing and hair raising feats behind a wheel that I've seen were not when we were pulling a trailer,but,in Memphis when we were in my little HOnda.I saw a couple of stunts that Jeff Gordon wouldn't dare try.

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2009-08-17 10:41 PM (#109536 - in reply to #109499)

Extreme Veteran

Around here I'm constantly shaking my finger that has a spring in it, my loaded spring finger I should say. People don't think, and simple thinking, and basics has gone right out the window with most folks nowadays. It's all about the "ME" generation!

Up here in the mountains, they will ride your arse and honk their horns like you can go any faster down hill, on very curvey sierras roads, and these are 15-20 mph curves with signs and a big arrow, now a car is supposed to go that slow so you can imagine what a truck and trailer has to do loaded around them curves. Anyways, they try to pass on these turns, now mind you the road is basically 1 1/2 car width in spots even narrower, and they try to pass! Duh  idiots!!!! The other thing is funny is that I always down shift, use my lower gears, and exhuast brake, never really needing to ride my trailer brakes, so my brake lights never come on, I love it, as they ride up and then slam on their brakes. If they only figure, you don't need to ride your brakes, cars or truck, keep your foot off the pedal and downshift, will save your car in the meantime too.

Gosh, I could go on and on. Takes all kinds I guess. It just takes alot of defenssive driving around here. 

Edited by cowpony01 2009-08-17 10:43 PM
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2009-08-17 10:44 PM (#109537 - in reply to #109531)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by crowleysridgegirl on 2009-08-17 8:55 PM

we have had our share of stuff pulling a horse trailer,you can imagine,living in Arkansas.Usually people will sit there looking at you until you are nearly on them,then,decide to pull out in front of you then poke along about 25MPH.I don't think they realize or CARE that you can't stop on a dime.

The most amazing and hair raising feats behind a wheel that I've seen were not when we were pulling a trailer,but,in Memphis when we were in my little HOnda.I saw a couple of stunts that Jeff Gordon wouldn't dare try.

I get the exact same thing with my school bus! You would think that people could see that big old yellow beast and really show some consideration for the kids on board. Nope, it's more important to pull out in front of you so they can turn 1/4 mile down the road.
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2009-08-18 6:48 AM (#109543 - in reply to #109499)

Elite Veteran

A local vet thinks NO ONE should be allowed to get their driver's license until they pull a horse trailer in enough traffic to UNDERSTAND all the problems people like them create. I'd vote for it.
threeman
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2009-08-18 6:49 AM (#109544 - in reply to #109499)

Extreme Veteran

I usually dont give alot either....I have found that if you just keep coming from the right lane into the left lane they have two choices...

hit the brakes and drive like they have some hint of brains or run off in the median. 

90% of them do not want the bend in their car.  Truck drivers i really havent had a problem with.  Truth be known i really dont want any paint on my trailer but you have to make them think you dont give a dam.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-08-18 7:44 AM (#109546 - in reply to #109544)

Expert

Originally written by threeman on 2009-08-18 7:49 AM

I usually dont give alot either....I have found that if you just keep coming from the right lane into the left lane they have two choices...

hit the brakes and drive like they have some hint of brains or run off in the median. 

90% of them do not want the bend in their car.  Truck drivers i really havent had a problem with.  Truth be known i really dont want any paint on my trailer but you have to make them think you dont give a dam.

There's the answer to your question

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2009-08-18 8:28 AM (#109549 - in reply to #109544)

Expert

"90% of them do not want the bend in their car.  Truck drivers i really havent had a problem with.  Truth be known i really dont want any paint on my trailer but you have to make them think you dont give a dam"

13Problem with that is: they're thinking that same thing,'i'll make  them think  that I don't give a dam' etc.I DO give one and dont' care if they figure it out,or not.

threeman
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2009-08-18 9:04 AM (#109556 - in reply to #109499)

Extreme Veteran

you have to play defense and OFFense...sometimes you have to take the initiative and make something happen.

the other day had a motorcycle that we caught up to, wasnt running fast maybe 60-65.  when he had a chance to move from the left lane into the right he wouldnt, this went on for several miles.  so i get over into the right lane to pass, this is large trailer and a 4400 so picking up speed doesnt happen in the blink of an eye.  after building up my momentum i catch up to a car in the right lane and have to move over into the left behind the motorcycle.  again he wouldnt let me pass, each time he would speed up or slow down beside cars then speed up after clearing them.  after several more miles i decided enough was enough this had happened several times.  after showing him the front of the International very close, as in close enough that i couldnt see his motorcycle anymore, just his helmet and shoulders.  He then decided to move.  It takes a dumba$$ on both ends to do this, but a much larger one on the motorcycle. 

These folks are in a zone, they drive with blinders on.  They are in there on little world and nothing else matters.  Everyone else is supposed to get out of their way.  I dont drive bad but after i give someone the benefit of the doubt a few times then I dont have alot of patience after that.

ignorance can be educated...stupidity is permanent.  most of them fall into that category.

threeman
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2009-08-18 9:05 AM (#109557 - in reply to #109546)

Extreme Veteran

Hey gard you forgot to turn down the magnification down on your font size.  I know you have to enlarge everything that size to read it but we can see so you may want to turn it down at least 100 pts.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-08-18 9:22 AM (#109559 - in reply to #109556)

Expert

Originally written by threeman on 2009-08-18 10:04 AM

you have to play defense and OFFense...sometimes you have to take the initiative and make something happen.

the other day had a motorcycle that we caught up to, wasnt running fast maybe 60-65.  after showing him the front of the International very close, as in close enough that i couldnt see his motorcycle anymore, just his helmet and shoulders.  He then decided to move.  It takes a dumba$$ on both ends to do this,

These folks are in a zone, they drive with blinders on.  They are in there on little world and nothing else matters.  Everyone else is supposed to get out of their way.  I dont drive bad but after i give someone the benefit of the doubt a few times then I dont have alot of patience after that.

ignorance can be educated...stupidity is permanent. 

Hey gard you forgot to turn down the magnification down on your font size

I rest my case. No I didn't forget

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2009-08-18 12:28 PM (#109570 - in reply to #109499)

Expert

I drove a truck/trailer through the traffic around Chicago. It wasn't the truckers that gave me fits( by and large), when I needed to change lanes, they blinked the lights to allow me in. It was the SMALL cars that darted into the space on the right hand side where I needed to go and have the least vision. I have had small cars past only to slow right down once they get in front ( ARGGGGG) I know people don't like to et behind a trailer or large camper...you can't see much and we do tend to go a bit slower. Aside from a sign on the back of the rig ( something like- DON'T BE A STUPID DRIVER PLEASE) there isn't much we can do except drive as if the other guy is stupid.

Edited by farmbabe 2009-08-18 12:29 PM
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-08-18 12:45 PM (#109571 - in reply to #109499)

Elite Veteran

I had some stupid woman almost run me off the road the other day..(not pulling a trailer thank God)  I was passing a trucker on the left and she merged onto the highway RIGHT in front of him.. He started to swing over to the left lane, but remembered that I was there and shut his truck down.... She ended up coming out with her rear bumper probably less that 10 feet from his front bumper.. Then she got mad and ran up and rode on my bumper when I gave her universal hand signal for stupidity.. I guess it never occurred to her that she was wrong, or that she had just put three lives in danger.. One of them hers.....
brew26
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-08-18 2:09 PM (#109582 - in reply to #109499)

Veteran

What really makes me mad is when semi's and pickup trailers large campers ect, go right down the middle of town when they are just going through town not stopping for anything.  They make truck routes for a reason.  When I hit a big town I try to avoid traffic for any reason because people are dumb and drive like idiots. 

Thier isn't much worse than being stuck in traffic with p/u and trailer and not being able to get over into the lane you want.  But I hate when people drive right beside your trailer on the interstate.  Its simple concept either pass or stay behind me.   

threeman
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2009-08-18 3:09 PM (#109585 - in reply to #109582)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by brew26 on 2009-08-18 2:09 PM

What really makes me mad is when semi's and pickup trailers large campers ect, go right down the middle of town when they are just going through town not stopping for anything.  They make truck routes for a reason.  When I hit a big town I try to avoid traffic for any reason because people are dumb and drive like idiots. 

Thier isn't much worse than being stuck in traffic with p/u and trailer and not being able to get over into the lane you want.  But I hate when people drive right beside your trailer on the interstate.  Its simple concept either pass or stay behind me.   

brew you gotta learn to be offensive dude...just let the trailer wiggle a little and or crowd the lane...you will get it cleared.

Hey gard, got another one for ya..while cruising down I20 at 80 trying to get home in the heat of the day my tires were rather warm (really hot as he!!) I had to get off on 80 to come home.  Got off on hwy 80 and before I could get up to speed guy in pickup truck was glued like super glue to my rear.  Weaving in and out trying to get around, he was close.  Well got up to about 60-65 for about two miles and ..............BOOOOOMmmmm.  One of them G rated 125psi tire blew out.  Yep sounded like a cannon went off back there...could have been a bomb...both of which I have never heard.  Heck of a noise I can tell ya.  Anyway the guy in back like to have wrecked trying to get off my rear.  Tire flying up hit his bumper before he could move.  The whole tread staying nearly intact when it came off so it was a big piece.  There wasnt anyone else around.  He decided to drive like he had some since after the smoke started coming off the rest of what was left but I suspect the pinch mark in his driver seat had something to do with it as well.  Personally hated to change the tire but it was kinda funny seeing the guy in my mirror get the heck out of the way.

On another note I guess I should try out for nascar maybe..stopped, changed the tire, cleaned up, took a leak, got a cold drink for the road all in 10 minutes... not bad for a guy by himself I didnt think.

luckeys71
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2009-08-18 7:32 PM (#109607 - in reply to #109585)

Regular

brew you gotta learn to be offensive dude...just let the trailer wiggle a little and or crowd the lane...you will get it cleared.

I don't want to do anything stupid or risky with $100,000 worth of horse standing behind me.

Edited by luckeys71 2009-08-18 7:34 PM
NM-Rider
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-08-18 8:27 PM (#109609 - in reply to #109607)

Regular

I really love it when I'm hauling the show steers in the stock trailer. The ones that ride my rear, I'll start to chant "pee,pee,pee". With 3 to 5 show steers one of them is bound to pee. Sure makes a mess on the windshield and leaves a nice film when they try to wash it off. They sure will back off when that happens. I sure get dirty looks when they do pass and I'll just shrug the shoulders at them. Now if I could just train them to projectile poo on cue, sure would give people double thought in following a trailer too close.
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2009-08-18 9:23 PM (#109611 - in reply to #109499)

Extreme Veteran

Had to go through Atlanta last Feb-March to pickup a horse. No issue going north but when I was coming south I was on I-285 trying to get on I-675. Had my blinker on going slow and finaly got my chance to merge when some idiot in a SUV deceided he want their. By this time I was ticked off. I stabbed the pedal and started moving right, a big no-no with my truck because it is turned up some....LOL... Out came the big cloud of black smoke, Oops. Anyways, he got the picture and moved...LOL  I have never cared to do the smoke show thing but I guess I found out what the purpose was supposed to be for....

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2009-08-18 11:38 PM (#109620 - in reply to #109611)

Expert

I guess our truck needs 'tuned up" in that case.Because we were on 60E in MO a couple of weeks ago,a guy (skinhead with numerous tattoes) wouldn't move to let us go by in the left lane.when we  moved over and started to pass in the right lane,yep,here he comes,decided THEN he wanted over.So my husband said a few "WELL ***" words and moved back over and floorboarded it.I looked back and couldn't see anything much,but think he was trying to roll up his window because the black smoke was pouring outta that thing like a locomotive.48
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)