'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Horse stepped thru ramp on Hawk Trailer

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-06-11 3:50 PM
28 replies, 15210 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

chabotak
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2009-07-11 8:06 PM (#107867)
Subject: Horse stepped thru ramp on Hawk Trailer

New User

I just bought a 2003 Hawk bumber pull trailer w/dressing room. The trailer was in mint condition. However, the first time I loaded my mare on the trailer, she stepped right through the ramp! I was shocked. I have never seen this happen before. After getting the horse safetly secured in the trailer, I realized the plywood inside the ramp was completely rotten. So her hoof went right though and popped the aluminum out between the steel parts of the ramp frame. Needless to say, there is a lot of damage to the ramp. I can't see any possible way that water could have gotten into where the plywood is, so I don't understand how it rotted so badly. Has anyone ever heard of this happening?  If so what did you do about it? Might this be a warranty issue? Since it's the weekend, I can't call Hawk.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-07-11 8:43 PM (#107870 - in reply to #107867)
Subject: RE: Horse stepped thru ramp on Hawk Trailer

Elite Veteran

Is your horse okay??
chabotak
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2009-07-11 8:49 PM (#107871 - in reply to #107870)

New User

Thank you, yes they are fine. I had a yearling filly on the trailer as well as my mare, but she was not heavy enough to step though fortunately. I had to put a piece of plywood over the ramp to unload them at home. Horses are safe, but trailer is unusable now.
flatlandfilly
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2009-07-11 9:13 PM (#107873 - in reply to #107871)

Veteran

Glad to hear no injuries to anyone. Also surprised as I've a 2000 Hawk and it seems a quality trailer. But mine is a GN step in.

I don't care for ramps. I have a vivid memory from my youth of watching people trying to load a skittish horse into a trailer with a ramp. The horse got up the ramp then threw a fit,lost it's footing and fell off the ramp to the ground. Not a great distance to fall but I seem to remember an ominous thud when the horse's body hit the ground.

A couple of thoughts: perhaps the trailer sat outside in the rain despite it's immaculate appearance; perhaps the owner was diligent about washing out the trailer and the wood in the ramp didn't get dried out.

I'm sure Hawk will stand behind their trailer.
Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2009-07-11 9:48 PM (#107878 - in reply to #107867)

Extreme Veteran

Weird. Hopefully you can get it fixed. I'm going to guess it wasn't used much and parked in just the wrong way to let the wood rot. Only saying that as I haven't heard of a particular issue for any of the hawks made this decade.

Now some of the early aluminum steel Trailets that's a different story.

luckysid1
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-07-11 10:07 PM (#107881 - in reply to #107867)

I would think if their was no damage to the ramp causing it to leak it could be a warrenty issue.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-07-11 10:43 PM (#107885 - in reply to #107867)

Expert

The warranty on the Hawks are 5 years for the Custom series, 7 years on the Elite series. It sounds as if they didn't use pressure treated plywood, because of the aluminum skin they have inside the steel ramp frame.

The ramp could be rebuilt using new pressure treated plywood, and changing out the aluminum trim panel to steel. Or a barrier coating could be used on the outside of the plywood, to protect the aluminum from the wood treatment.

In time, you may have problems around the edges of the aluminum panel, where it rests against the steel frame. The aluminum edges should be surfaced with a barrier coating, where ever it contacts the steel frame, before it is installed.

You have several issues of incompatibility with the various materials. The wood treatment attacks aluminum, The aluminum and steel don't get along. Untreated plywood will wick and trap moisture, delaminating the layers when the glue joints fail.

Gard

Edited by gard 2009-07-11 10:51 PM
chabotak
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2009-07-12 10:17 AM (#107893 - in reply to #107885)

New User

My trailer is the Deluxe series which is in between the Custom and Elite. Anyone know about the warranty limits on this model? Thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate it.
HappyTrailsTralers
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-07-12 11:49 AM (#107896 - in reply to #107867)

Hawk did have 3 models at one time, the Deluxe had a 5 year warranty, the ramp frames are alumimum, water would have to have gotten in over time to rot the wood decking - Remove and replace the wood, give Hawk the serial number and they can send out pre cut aluminum to install. Not too bad a deal to replace at all. Risa
RollinPonies
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2009-07-13 10:37 AM (#107947 - in reply to #107867)

Veteran

Wow! I certainly understand the astonishment.  As I read your post I thought:

• Trailer wasn't in mint condition, just appeared to be.
  • There must be a "possible way" that water got to the plywood.

Trailers are interesting things in that the surfaces may be an indicator of whats inside but not necessesarily.  I recently helped a friend take his trailer in for service for similar problem.  In his case it wasn't a LQ, just a dressing room.  Everything looked good and well maintained but the ramp had a very soft spot.  After we removed the rubber mat we got a good look at rotted plywood and two broken welds.  Pretty sure water caused the rot but we are still looking for the "source."  The broken welds appeared to be caused by stress from closing the ramp up on shavings,etc. over and over through the years.  The trailer is still in good shape . . . just needed some repair/maintenance.  Not bad for a ten year old trailer, really.

Good luck on your repairs.

Roll on.

PS  I love ramps.

Cowgirl47
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2009-07-13 11:05 AM (#107951 - in reply to #107867)

New User

Hi,

Just wanted to pipe in on this one since I know the original poster - we were on a ride together and I saw what happened to her ramp.  When I got back to my barn I was telling some folks, who also have a Hawk trailer (bought used in mint condition) about what I had just seen.  We turned to look at their trailer and saw the tell tale dimpling on the ramp.  Sure enough, the wood in their ramp was rotted through as well.  Fortunately, they have a pony who wasn't heavy enough to break through the ramp - yet.   Two Hawk trailers in one weekend!

horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2009-07-13 3:00 PM (#107953 - in reply to #107867)

Elite Veteran

Seeing a pattern here....Hmmmm. Ramps need maintenance. Novel concept. Let's see, moving parts, various materials of composition, and exposure to weather. And let's also examine- "mint condition". Maybe whomever tagged these trailers as mint condition needs to have their inspector's license revoked. Just my .02$.
Myaj
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2009-07-15 1:45 PM (#108069 - in reply to #107867)

A friend of mine has a Hawk 2 horse bp and she found the wood rotted in her ramp as well. Took an afternoon to pull off the rubber mat, replace the wood strips and put the mat back on, no big deal.

I have a much older 2h bp, a CM, and I've checked my wood under the mat and yes, it is starting to rot around the edges. I will be pulling the slats out and replacing them soon.

Not a huge project and the ramp is just another floor, you need to check the integrity of it just like you would with the trailer floor. (or remove the ramp)
MikeS
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-25 2:27 PM (#120552 - in reply to #107867)

New User

This just happened to me.  I have a 10 year old Hawk lent to me by a friend.  It appeared to be in pristine condition.  I feel very lucky our Horse was not injured.  When we took apart the ramp, the wood was completely rotted.  It was not pressure treated or sealed in any way and the water ran down to the bottom (top when folded down, and the rot spread up).  We inspected the wood in the main trailer and that appears to have been pressure treated and sealed (painted).  This also happened to someone else at our Barn.  I am apalled that Hawk would risk the safety of horses to save a few bucks in construction.  When we are ready to buy a new trailer, it will definitely not be a Hawk.
Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-25 5:19 PM (#120562 - in reply to #107867)

Extreme Veteran

Reading on different forums, I've definitely seen issues where they plywood had to be replaced on an aluminum ramp - and where it wasn't done soon enough as happened here.

I can't say that the times I've read of the issue have been with Hawk - I simply don't remember - but it is something that does happen and isn't uncommon. I also understand that it can be repaired and now that you know there can be an issue with the plywood, you are in a better position to avoid it.

I'm glad that your horses were not injured. 

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-05-25 6:27 PM (#120567 - in reply to #107867)

Expert

I have no connection to Hawk or any other trailer builder.

I had a steel trailer with a ramp.  The ramp was built of plywood cased with steel on the outside and edges.   The walking surface was covered by rubber matting.  After a few years the ramp started to buckle and sag under a horse...  Yup .. The plywood was rotted.  Water had run down the edge and into the ramp core.  New plywood and straightened the metal for a few bucks.  Even reused the mats.   Attached a small piece of plastic over the top to divert the water away from the ramp.

Don't be afraid of stuff.  It happens.  Be prepared instead.  Those people with ramps, notice if the ramp is bending under a horse more than before.  Then look for the reason.  Nothing stays pristine forever.  If it did, we couldn't afford it.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-05-25 6:50 PM (#120569 - in reply to #107867)

Expert

Here's a picture of my rusted, rotted ramp in the middle of the repair process.  The plywood has been removed and I'm trying to straighten the metal. (By me, stepping on the end of the ramp with the concrete block in the middle.)   Notice, without the plywood, the metal ramp is quite flexible.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-05-25 7:39 PM (#120572 - in reply to #107867)

Expert

Keeping that ramp up in the transport position when not in use will help it last alot longer. Not alot of surface area for water to pond and soak in. It don't hurt so much for it to get wet, it's when it soaks through and no way for it to dry..... Keeping the ramp up will also help preserve what little tension you got in those lift assist springs.

Our new bumper pull has an all aluminum rear and side ramps with the rubber non-slip tread surface. No wood in the ramp at all, that was a big selling point for me. We had another trailer that had aluminum frame/plywood ramps that looked like the horse was going to break through from day one when it was new in 2008. That trailer's gone on down the road now.......SOLD!!!

Edited by retento 2010-05-25 7:42 PM
MikeS
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-26 11:25 AM (#120602 - in reply to #107867)

New User

Thanks all for revisiting this old thread based on my post.  Yep, it is definitely a live and learn moment.  When I took possesion of the trailer, we did a pretty thorough inspection on obvious safety issues like brakes but didn't even think to check on stuff like this.  Embarassingly enough, I never even thought there was wood on the other side of that nice rubber mat.  My big gripe w/ Hawk is that they could have used better treated wood for much less cost than the injury to one horse would be.   This wood looks like it was designed to last through the warranty period and not much longer.  It flat out said "for use in walls" right on the wood.  The replacement board I bought was also 3/4" plywood and and designed for use in boats.  It was just a few dollars more than the non pressure treated wood.  We painted it and caulked the edges for good measure. 
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-05-26 3:58 PM (#120619 - in reply to #107867)

Extreme Veteran

We repair and rebuild ramps all the time, all makes.  No particular brand of trailer, all of them are subject to wood rotting in a ramp.  The Hawk ramps are aluminum framed, and you cannot use treated wood against aluminum.  That could result in the aluminum frame failing, a much worse scenario.  There are more aluminum framed ramps nowadays than steel, so the treated wood no-no applies to a lot of brands.  We find more damage from failure to clean the bedding a manure out of the hinge area.  This material then wicks moisture right into the wood.  We also get ramp hinges torn away from the trailer or the ramp due to the fact that the ramp has been forced closed with the manure/bedding in the hinges.  Duh.  Can you say broom?
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-05-26 4:13 PM (#120620 - in reply to #107867)

Expert

When the ramp on our old 2H steel BP trailer failed, I replaced the original plywood with a product called "Baltic Birch" plywood. It is an all hardwood product, with no voids and a high number of laminations, making it very rigid and strong. After the wood was cut to size, I applied two coats of a marine grade epoxy to the edges, to seal them from wicking moisture.

We sold the trailer many years ago, and occasionally see it at horse shows. At last glance, the ramp is still intact, and no feet were protruding from the surface.

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2010-05-31 1:44 PM (#120753 - in reply to #107867)

Expert

This thread reminds me of when Kiefer was having a rotten ramp issue...
sootsnoot
Reg. Jun 2010
Posted 2010-06-02 1:40 AM (#120825 - in reply to #107867)

New User

I bought a 2003 Hawk 2-horse BP, lightly used, in 2007, and the ramp was rotted. No drama, I could feel a soft spot near the hinge when I walked on the ramp. I took it to the original dealer to have it repaired (I didn't even think to ask about warranty). The dealer told me that the ramps on these trailers typically do rot within 4 or 5 years because Hawk does not use treated plywood - and that the Hawk factory rep told them the reason is that it would react with the aluminum. However, the dealer said that they simply replace the rotted untreated plywood with pressure-treated plywood, and they have never seen it cause a problem with the aluminum; and have never seen a ramp they replaced in this way rot again.

Am I living on borrowed time with the aluminum being attacked by the pressure-treated plywood? Is there a way I can check for damage to the aluminum over the last couple of years, or is the damage invisible up until the time the aluminum frame suddenly fails? How long would you expect it to take to see signs of trouble with the aluminum? Should I replace the pressure-treated plywood with some other kind of plywood (like marine plywood, painted with what?) that would be safe for the aluminum? I am actually quite fastidious about keeping the floor and ramp clean and dry, and the hinge area free of shavings.

Thanks for any advice,

-Rich
MikeS
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-06-08 4:12 PM (#121003 - in reply to #107867)

New User

Wow this is a hot topic I Re-started.  I'm glad there have been no problems reported so far from pressure treated plywood in Hawk Ramps.  I too would love to know if there are obvious signs of issues before the ramp gives way.  Seems damned if you do, damned if you don't on this one.  It seems there needs to be a better ramp material than plywood out there!
jen7724
Reg. Jun 2010
Posted 2010-06-11 1:34 PM (#121061 - in reply to #107867)

New User

Hey all! I'm new to the forum and also a new horse trailer owner. I just bought a 2001 Bison Alumasport last week and am having the same problem with the ramp. I've been reading this thread and I know it's mainly directed towards Hawk but just curious if anyone could help me out a bit with what I should do next. The trailer is built on a steel frame with aluminum skin. The trailer ramp is solid except for a spot on the edge that sits on the ground when it's down which is completely soft. Is this something I could attempt to fix myself? Is it as simple as pulling off the rubber matt and replacing the plywood? Pressure treated or non? Thanks again for any input, I've had horses for years but this is my first trailer. -Jenny

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)