'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Which are the high and mid-range aluminum trailers?

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-04-25 2:14 PM
31 replies, 21313 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jkhorseman
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-16 9:19 PM (#101528)
Subject: Which are the high and mid-range aluminum trailers?

We have our trailer search narrowed down to an all aluminum 3 horse GN with about a 4' SW in the DR so we can make a weekender in it. Now I want to hear about manufacturers. I am looking for the STRONGEST, LONGEST LASTING aluminum trailer I can buy. We will be buying used to save money.

I spoke to a guy at a trailer dealer today and he said that the "high-end" trailers are the 4 Star, Elite, Platinum Coach, and C & C. He also said Sooners 2002 and older (before they had new owners?), Featherlites, Sundowner, Keiferbuilt, and Silverstars are decent trailers more in the mid-range. His shop is a dealer for 4 Star, Sundowner, and Kiefer.

What are THE BEST used trailers?

Thanks again in advance for the input. You guys are really helpful here.

Edited by jkhorseman 2009-03-16 9:30 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2009-03-16 9:31 PM (#101531 - in reply to #101528)
Subject: RE: Which are the high and mid-range aluminum trailers?

Extreme Veteran

I am NO expert.  I have owned a Cherokee  and now a Kiefer ...both all aluminum.   The Cherokee (acording to publised research) is a great trailer for the money.  Seems to be above average in construction and has good reviews.  I traded my Cherokee for  a Kiefer which had one of the best warrarntees in the business this past summer.  I was pleased with the Cherokee and I am pleased with the Kiefer.  I do not haul every weekend and would not attempt to compare the quality of  the Cherokee nor the Kiefer to 4 Star or Elite.  But for my purposes (weekend trail rider/camper) I have/was more than pleased with the two LQ trailers that I have owned.    The folks at Cherokee are a pleasure to deal with and the folks at Kiefer handled my inital problems with the new trailer well.  You have to look at the trailers in your price range...weigh the pros and cons and I am sure you will be able to make a decision.  Good Luck and Happy hunting. 
Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-03-17 2:38 AM (#101541 - in reply to #101528)

Veteran

I am by no means an expert - but I can tell you one thing....Bang for buck the Cherokee is a winner.

I imported one to South Africa and it is standing up to some rigerous conditions with ease. It tows really nice and I find the build quality superb.

The Guys at Cherokee are fab as stated above...

Good luck - and let us know when you decide.

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-03-17 7:54 AM (#101549 - in reply to #101528)

Elite Veteran

I own a Cherokee Tomahawk for my day trailer and an Elite for my LQ. Both brands I have had before the current ones I own. Cherokee makes a very nice mid-range trailer. The drop windows are not as beefy as on my Elite, but very functional. The hinges are adequate along with structural frame of the trailer.

If you want a top quality trailer with aluminum marine grade flooring, durable cross-members and well built structural frame, and heavy duty hinges then 4-Star, C&C, Elite and Bloomer is what you most likely will be looking at. Yes, you will pay more for these brands, but they are known in the industry as a "quality" trailer with good resale.

However, there are very good mid-range trailer that will serve you well such as the Cherokee, Merhow, Keifer etc. List what is most imporant to you in a trailer and look at those brands. For me it was structure of the trailer, hinges, how the nose is constructed, divider quality, padding, composition of roof (single sheet or several sheets welded), and warranty.

Edited by ponytammy 2009-03-17 7:58 AM
pasobeth
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2009-03-17 7:57 AM (#101550 - in reply to #101528)

Regular

Eby.  I have an Eby stock GN with LQ in the front.  The Eby's were originally built to haul bucking bulls.  They are built to last.
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-03-17 5:32 PM (#101620 - in reply to #101528)

Expert

Adams is another that ranks up there with Cherokee, I think. I have friends that own Adams and they are SUPER pleased with them. Smaller manufacturer than the others mentioned.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2009-03-17 6:59 PM (#101624 - in reply to #101528)

Expert

Again- there is no BEST trailer out there. I own a Exiss but thats because it had the stuff I needed and wanted plus it was within my price range. I bought it used and I haul nearly every weekend. Two of my friends also own a Exiss. I also have pals with Sundowners and Featherlights. If you get stuck on brand you might miss a really good deal on a solid trailer.
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-03-18 8:08 AM (#101661 - in reply to #101528)

Originally written by jkhorseman on 2009-03-16 9:19 PM

What are THE BEST used trailers?

Everyone's opinion of "the best" is different. Especially in used. I've owned better than a dozen different brands of steel and aluminum trailers both. Some were better than others, but also more expensive. The cheaper trailers still served their purpose and never failed me.

Go to a show in your area. The larger the better. Go through the parking lot and look at used trailers. When you look at a trailer, you will be able to tell the difference between used and abused. And then start looking at the structure. Not the dents and scratches, but the structure, the welds, the floor. You will start seeing brands that stick out at you. Keep a notebook. Rate those used trailers how you see them best to worst. Then start researching price ranges. Somewhere in there you will a happy medium between price and what you think is best.

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2009-03-18 10:03 AM (#101671 - in reply to #101528)

Expert

I own a eby I feel they are worth the money a farm down the road from me has four of them for they beef cattle and the cattle do not ship well the trailer hold up to all that. I own a draft horse just thought you should know that they carry the weigh just find
Dirtfarms32
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-18 3:53 PM (#101704 - in reply to #101528)

I have about the same opinion as others that have posted, just mainly depends on price range.  There is definitely a lot of used trailers out there to look at and you just have to find the one you want.  You or someone said something about doors, there are several brands that use pre-fabricated doors, I would stay away from those.......really flimsy. 

walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-03-18 4:49 PM (#101708 - in reply to #101528)

Elite Veteran

I also own an EBY. [LQ]  These trailers have been around a long while.  I woudl buy another EBY.
jkhorseman
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-18 9:55 PM (#101725 - in reply to #101528)

Thanks for the input so far.

I know that I will hear different opinions and want to hear what you like and why. Price range is really not an issue. I am willing and expect to pay for top quality.

Maybe I should ask which trailers to avoid??
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-03-18 10:01 PM (#101726 - in reply to #101528)

Elite Veteran

Another thing to think about is the quantity of brand types in your area to go and look at for comparisons. Example, I have never seen an Eby at a show or local trail ride her in Eastern KS but that does not mean it is not a good trailer. Location can determine what brands you will locate the easiest. Yes, you'll find the occasional stand alone trailer brand, but your location and the trailer brands that are marketed in your area will be more readily available for evaluation.
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-03-19 1:38 PM (#101760 - in reply to #101725)

Expert

Originally written by jkhorseman on 2009-03-18 10:55 PM

Thanks for the input so far. I know that I will hear different opinions and want to hear what you like and why. Price range is really not an issue. I am willing and expect to pay for top quality. Maybe I should ask which trailers to avoid??

Sundowner made a model that was alum on steel frame that ended up being problematic. I would avoid those models / years.  Maybe someone here can get you the specifics on which ones.

Look for a company that is still in business. For instance, Horton makes great trailers and made horse trailers for a few years. While they still make trailers, they no longer make horse trailers, so getting parts might be a problem.

and again, sometimes the company might have had some bad manufacturing during certain years but has changed ... or was very good and is now not so good. So.. it may depend on a specific year or model from a manufacturer.  Every now and then, despite a company's desire to do the right thing - they can get parts from sub-suppliers that fail sooner than expected.

TT's
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-03-19 2:50 PM (#101765 - in reply to #101528)

The 4 trailers you have listed are comparable trailers. We feel that every trailer has qualities that will meet the needs of the buyer. Each buyer needs to figure out what qualities they are looking for in a trailer and find their match. Platinum Coach trailers are a high quality trailer with a competative price.  We are a dealer in NE Indiana and would love to answer any questions you have about them.  Here are a few reasons why we are a dealer.

They have 5/8" thick side slats  (thickest in the industry) with specially engineered heat sinks on the weld surfaces which allows for the most welds on the side posts than any other manufacturer in the industry.

All of the structural posts used in the sidewall assembly are 1"x2 1/2" and 1"x 5" tubing. Provides outstanding structural integrity of the side walls and gives superior strength. These are a closed tube post - most other manufacturers  are using an open backed post which to don't have the same structural properties.

The rear end of the trailer is constructed of 5" x 6" rear corner post and rear header. The corner posts are recessed down 4" into the floor of the trailer and then welded to the bottom rail and the rear threshold of the trailer. Creates a complete rear frame structure and reduces the amount of "rack" when the trailer is in tow. Some manufacturers set the rear corner post directly on the floor and weld it. Check this when buying.

Floor - 5000 series marine grade alloy (superior corrosion resistance). Platinum uses 3"x4"x3" I beams placed a max of 12" on center for horse trailers and 9 1/2" on center for stock trailers. This floor system is proven and used largely in big cattle haulers.

Roof is one piece of seamless .040 gauge roof coil.

Our website is www.ridgetrailers.com if you would like more info on Platinum Coach.

buyshadow
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-03-21 5:14 AM (#101853 - in reply to #101528)

Regular

Good Morning! I have read through the posts........ Have you looked at SHADOW TRAILERS the lightest, most econonimical, best built ALL ALUMINUM TRAILER on the market today.... SHADOW TRAILERS!   Shadow Trailers is here to stay ......built by horse people for horse people, so we need your needs.  You mentioned that you are looking for a GN that you can convert into a LQ.  We build a great "plus pack" trailer.  It is lined and insulated, pre-wired and framed for A/C unit, extra large dressing room  and a wide variety of sizes.  We would be happy to give you a personal tour at the dealership in Ocala, FL and also arrange a personal tour for you at the factory in Williston, FL.  Check us out www.buyshadow.com or give us a call anytime!

Shadow Trailers are all aluminum frames, skins, and  floors.  We build into our trailers many features that are standard, not expensive options like other trailer manufacturers such as;  insulated ceilings in the horse box making it cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter, and no condensation dripping down on your horse either. We use 16” tires that are E-rated to carry the heavier load and are American made so if you do have a warranty issue you will be able to find a dealer to service you. Every light on our trailers are LED which are brighter, last longer, and draw less current from you vehicle.  We don’t use safety chains we use retractable cables making it easier to unhook your trailer. Our nose is still 8 ft. so when you back up your pickup you don’t have to get out to put up the tail gate before hooking up. Our electrical cable is molded so moisture can’t get around the contacts causing possible lighting problems. We have a rechargeable battery  that you can test assuring that your emergency system is working properly. We have CAM Latch locks and handles which allow you to open the doors with one hand and one key opens all locks on the trailer. The window in the escape door is the same size as the other drop down windows allowing maximum ventilation in the hottest stall in the trailer. The face guards are integrated  to the window and can’t be pushed open  by your horse. We still use butt bars, not  straps.  The dividers are closed with automotive latches that close quietly and open easily even if your horse is leaning against  it.  Check us out and I am sure you will see how SHADOW TRAILERS will be top of your list!

nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2009-03-21 3:17 PM (#101868 - in reply to #101528)

Veteran

I have an elite and if you set it next to the mid range brands, Elites quality really sticks out to you.  They are a very well built trailer with excellant workmanship.
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2009-03-21 7:10 PM (#101877 - in reply to #101528)

Extreme Veteran

When I bought my trailer in 1992 I took a friend who was an ocean engineer along(...Ended up marrying the guy). He said that if it could last in salt water, it could last for a couple of horses. I ended up getting a Featherlite, still have it, and haven't had a lick of trouble. There are lots more aluminum trailer manufacturers these days to choose from. Some of them stay in business, some of them don't. For the sake of resale, I'd stick with known brands that can weather the economic downturn. Choose one that can be repaired locally. Then when you look at trailers, take along a mechanic or an engineer if you can.
stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-03-21 8:22 PM (#101882 - in reply to #101528)

Veteran

When looking, make sure you let one of the drop down windows down. If you can take it in both of your hands and move it around, I would say keep looking. Just one of the many things that I look at, but consider it important. Proud owner of a C&C 4H trailer w/ lq that I have for sale!!
jkhorseman
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-21 9:14 PM (#101886 - in reply to #101528)

Gemm, feel free to send us your engineer for a while!

Stablemom, do you have a link to your trailer for sale? Probably more than what we are looking for, buy always interested in a C&C.

upslady
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2009-03-21 9:46 PM (#101888 - in reply to #101528)

To the Shadow dealer how does your construction compare to these stats...

They have 5/8" thick side slats  (thickest in the industry) with specially engineered heat sinks on the weld surfaces which allows for the most welds on the side posts than any other manufacturer in the industry.

All of the structural posts used in the sidewall assembly are 1"x2 1/2" and 1"x 5" tubing. Provides outstanding structural integrity of the side walls and gives superior strength. These are a closed tube post - most other manufacturers  are using an open backed post which to don't have the same structural properties.

The rear end of the trailer is constructed of 5" x 6" rear corner post and rear header. The corner posts are recessed down 4" into the floor of the trailer and then welded to the bottom rail and the rear threshold of the trailer. Creates a complete rear frame structure and reduces the amount of "rack" when the trailer is in tow. Some manufacturers set the rear corner post directly on the floor and weld it. Check this when buying.

Floor - 5000 series marine grade alloy (superior corrosion resistance). Platinum uses 3"x4"x3" I beams placed a max of 12" on center for horse trailers and 9 1/2" on center for stock trailers. This floor system is proven and used largely in big cattle haulers.

Roof is one piece of seamless .040 gauge roof coil.

Is your construction similar to this trailer and if not what makes its construction better or as good as??

stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-03-22 3:08 PM (#101904 - in reply to #101886)

Veteran

jkhorseman-sent you a pm!
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2009-03-22 6:26 PM (#101906 - in reply to #101528)

Extreme Veteran

JK - He's not available for lease right now. Actually, he gets kinda nervous when he sees me looking at trailers. I guess looking, and looking, and looking some more wasn't his idea of having a good time! At least I'm still happy with my trailer after all these years...and I'm "somewhat" happy with him too.:) He's starting to get some corrosion on the surface(oxidation?), his joints don't work so well(WD40?), and now that I think of it he's got more padding than when I first got him!
ppyoung
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-23 9:42 PM (#101982 - in reply to #101528)

New User

I researched many many trailers before finding the Jamco which after having an engineer look at the way they are made and running his own analysis vs other trailers on the market, dollar for dollar they are extremelywell built and when you factor in the repairs and maintenance that WILL NOT be needed, it's cheaper if you intend to keep the trailer for several years.  I've used theSNOT out of my trailer and it looks as good as the day I bought it- and it was used when I bought it but you cannot tell it even to this day - and it's a 2002 trailer.

the only thing I have had happen is a tire blow out but it DID not damage anything due to the way the trailer is made - and it was the heavy duty steel belted tires that run 320.00 and up per tire so they CAN do heavy damage if your trailer isnot well built. 

Just my 2 cents worth.

born2ride
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-03-24 10:18 AM (#102004 - in reply to #101528)

SilverLite! Take a look....go under it. Well worth your time and there are lots of fantastic deals now. I have one and will have another, hopefully not too many years from now! My dealer in Wi as well as the owners of SilverLite were great to work with. They also have a ten year warranty!
Things I like about the LQ models are the double floor in the front and recessed waster water tanks, no more ripped off pipes. Also the 9 5/8' crossmembers in the horse area, clean smooth welds and the extra care taken to eliminate 'tweaking' of the frame or uprights over the years. I'm no professional when it comes to trailer but I sure spent alot of time looking and I agree with several mentioned here, just wanted to add my favorite!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)