'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Exiss drop down window rotted!!!

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-04-08 5:01 PM
78 replies, 19436 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mag08
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-10 10:53 PM (#101088)
Subject: Exiss drop down window rotted!!!

Did you know that Exiss trailers drop down windows are made of wood with an aluminum frame?  I went to close my window the other night and it fell off.  Why would an aluminum trailer have wood built into the construction? The reason it fell off is because the wood rotted on the inside and the screw would not hold anymore.  All the aluminum parts are in perfect working order the wood just needs to be replaced.  Has anyone ever fixed one?  I have pictures...
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2009-03-11 8:50 AM (#101110 - in reply to #101088)
Subject: RE: Exiss drop down window rotted!!!

Elite Veteran

Mag- Exiss has used several drop windows over the years and likely from differing vendors. As it looks like we are very close to you, please let us know if we can be of assistance. Yours may be rebuildable or it may just be better to replace. Oftentimes if a problem shows up later like this one may be doing, the replacement will be engineered differently. Give us a call at 931-685-4040. Roger is our Svc Mgr and can help you on this.
RTSmith
www.SelectTrailer.com
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-03-11 9:20 AM (#101116 - in reply to #101088)

Expert

It is likely that the window manufacturer sold windows to a variety of trailer manufacturers as well....ours have no wood in them, where that would be is insulation instead of wood.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-03-11 9:28 AM (#101118 - in reply to #101088)

Expert

http://www.statewidealum.com/livestock-trailers-statewide-alum.htm
mag08
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-11 12:37 PM (#101136 - in reply to #101088)

I have pictures if anyone would like to see them to give me some ideas on how to fix

Edited by mag08 2009-03-25 7:44 PM
Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2009-03-11 2:57 PM (#101148 - in reply to #101088)

Extreme Veteran

Mag, my window fell off my Exiss, too. But it was the aluminum hinge that broke. I contacted Exiss, and they were wonderful in getting it replaced. Seems there was a problem with the hinges being put on wrong or something and it stressed the aluminum until it cracked.

Get in touch with the company and tell them what happened. They may help!

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-03-11 3:14 PM (#101149 - in reply to #101088)

Expert

The problem with the hinges breaking is, aluminum hinge with a steel pin running through it with no lubricant between the two. If they are used pretty much every week or three they will stay free. If not they will seize. I got one on the Silver Star that don't get much use that was about to seize, I kept it wet with diesel fuel and Mobil 1, 10W30 for several weeks. I would fold it up and down about 3 dozen time every few days. It works as good as new now. Another thing is to spray the hinges, latches and the sliding window rubber/felt gaskets with a silicone lubricant quarterly/every 3 months.... That will keep every thing moving nice and smooth!!

mag08
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-11 8:37 PM (#101155 - in reply to #101088)

No, the hinge is still intact to the trailer.  The only reason the window fell off is because the wood rotted and the screw would not hold.  All the aluminum features of the window are in perfect working order.  It is just the poor choice in construction to use wood in between the aluminum.  They only used these type windows/doors for a few years and the wood started to rot and doors/windows were falling off so they changed the design and no longer used wood.  They learned the product was defective and they would fix or replace these defective products.  But now they are trying to brush me off stating that it is no longer under warranty but this is not a warranty issue.  The problem is they were manufacturing a defective part which they have replaced and now the company has made a decision that "enough is enough".

Edited by mag08 2009-03-25 7:41 PM
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2009-03-12 5:15 AM (#101162 - in reply to #101088)

Expert

How old is your trailer? Warranty items are "free from Manufacturers defects" sounds like your issue could be some kind of manufacturer defect. I know from past experiences on this board that Exiss goes above and beyond to keep people happy with their product. Replacing a window that is say 5-6 years old would be outside the warranty but could be justified. Replacing a window that is 10 years old or older would just be outside of anyones realm of warranty. When trailers or anything else gets to certain age then it becomes an "upkeep/maintenance" item instead of a warranty item. Sounds like you already have at least one dealer trying to help you already, but age of trailer could be the factor.

Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-03-12 7:53 AM (#101169 - in reply to #101088)

Wood was a common filler for many years on many doors on horse trailers and RVs. Everything from camper doors, manger doors, feed doors, you name it. No manufacturer's defect on it. It wasn't designed to last forever. Many companies, Exiss not being the only one, used the same companies to supply the same doors.
mag08
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-12 8:49 AM (#101173 - in reply to #101088)

I understand that during the time my trailer was built a lot of the trailer companies purchased these windows and doors. Again this is not a warranty issue. These were defective products they no longer use on their trailers that they acknowledged was defective and changed. This is a 2002 trailer that has been kept indoors which is why it has lasted so long. The defect with this window is not the aluminum construction. If it did not have wood as the filler it would still be attached. My problem with Exiss is they knew these windows were defective and have fixed many for customers but they told me they have fixed enough of them and enough is enough. You don't sacrifice quality over cost when your brand name is on the line.
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2009-03-12 9:04 AM (#101176 - in reply to #101088)

Elite Veteran

OK now- it is 7 years old, it had what- a 1-3 year warranty or so? But now you are bashing the company to fix it for free to protect their name, on a product that they didn't even design or make but merely included as part of the package. What's the point or bother of printing a warranty if every time something happens a company gets blackmailed into fixing it? Whatever happened in America to- it has some age on it and maybe I need to do some work on it? Sure, in hindsight every product is improved over time, but the factories cannot go back and effect those changes to all past units at no charge. Come on, let's take some adult responsibility here. I'm sure they'll be of some help, but I'm not sure this is the best way to get it.

Edited by horsey1 2009-03-12 9:06 AM
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-03-12 9:12 AM (#101178 - in reply to #101088)

I had a camper door do the same thing. Trailer was 7 years old. Asked them to replace, they said no, out of warranty. I said okay and fixed it myself. I never really expected them to fix it, but had been told they had fixed some. Asked them about that and they said yes we did, as long as they were under warranty.
billmrmi
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2009-03-12 1:39 PM (#101202 - in reply to #101088)

Did you buy it new?
mag08
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-25 3:09 PM (#102074 - in reply to #101088)

Do they use these parts on their trailers now? No...because they have proved defective and replaced them with a better quality part. Sure aluminum trailers require maintenance which I have done. These defective doors and windows are not a result of damage caused by misuse, improper handling or maintenance or lack of but as a result of poor workmanship. Therefore, this has nothing to do with whether or not it is covered under warranty. This is a quality issue that could define who they are as a company and whether or not they are willing to stand behind their product and workmanship. I work for a company that manufactures building products and our mission is to be a respectable, profitable and growing manufacturer of building products. We pride ourselves in being the supplier of choice that offers quality products and reliable services and stand behind our products 100%. We do offer a warranty on our products but a defective product does not fall under a blanket warranty. We paid over 1 billion dollars to replace and install a faulty product because we could not put our name on the line. I would hope that they could say the same. I bought an aluminum trailer because I wanted a trailer that would last a lifetime but windows/doors falling off because they chose poor quality materials is cheap and senseless and if they can't stand behind the fact that they recognized it was poor qualtiy workmanship and are not willing to fix their mistake than I can't either.

Edited by mag08 2009-03-25 7:43 PM
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-03-25 3:18 PM (#102075 - in reply to #101088)

So how long would you expect them to stand behind it?
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-03-25 3:23 PM (#102077 - in reply to #101088)

Expert

Hmmmm. ours is a 2001, parked outside, and the windows and doors still look and function perfectly.  Perhaps you could contact the manufacturer of the window .
mag08
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-25 3:42 PM (#102080 - in reply to #101088)

The manufacture of these windows is called Creations but conveniently they went out of business. 

Edited by mag08 2009-03-25 4:17 PM
mag08
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-25 3:52 PM (#102082 - in reply to #101088)

Edited by mag08 2009-03-25 4:16 PM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-03-25 3:55 PM (#102084 - in reply to #101088)

Expert

There is a repair that could be effected using epoxies. However since you are only here to trash Exiss, that would not be of interest to you.

We also have a 2001 with no issues.

Did you hear about the Exiss with an exploding roof?

Gard

mag08
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-25 4:13 PM (#102087 - in reply to #101088)

No sir, I am not here to trash Exiss.  As a matter of fact I love my trailer but I do not feel that the issue I am having is my fault but a manufacture defect.  If this was caused by lack of maintenance on the trailer I would fix it but regardless of how old the trailer was if wood was not used as a componet the window would never have fallen off.  But I posted here to find out what is going on because I could not believe the window was constructed the way it was.  I got some helpful info and I talked to Exiss who blew me off and I sent a letter to Universal who has yet to reach me.  I was going to give them a little time to respond.  All I am asking is they do the right thing and fix it.  I don't want a new trailer I just want what I paid for.

Edited by mag08 2009-03-25 7:46 PM
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2009-03-25 4:47 PM (#102091 - in reply to #101088)

Elite Veteran

Exciss probably found out that these windows were not up to their standards at some point and either changed suppliers or specifications. They also probably did replace these windows for a specified period of time. But, at some point they had to draw a line and say "no more." They could not stand by them forever or the cost would break them. I guess after seven years I would let it drop.

Just my opinion for what it's worth.

mag08
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-25 7:37 PM (#102101 - in reply to #101088)

Gard - you are right and that is basically what they are telling me and I understand that but I can't apologize that my trailer has been kept indoors and out of the weather which is probably why it has lasted this long but that does not excuse them.  All I am asking is that they do what is fair and fix it.   In the business world I work in reputation counts because without customers you have no business.

It is almost a false advertisement.  For example - if I purchased a trailer with a wood floor I know over time that it would need replacing.  I was sold on the confidence that I purchased an aluminum trailer that would last a long time with proper maintenance like re-sealing the roof, packing the bearings, etc. 

What if I was driving down the highway and the window fell off and hit a car behind me and caused an accident that resulted in a death.   They could be sued very easily and I don't think I would want that resposilbility on my business so I am asking for them to take the opportunity and do the right thing.  Safety is first and foremost and these windows are not safe.  What caused the window to come apart was the small screw holding the frame to the wood.  I am just glad it happened when I was parked and caught it myself. 

Again I plan on allowing them the opportunity to do the right thing and that will determine how I feel about their trailers.  Up until this I was pleased with my trailer.

Edited by mag08 2009-03-25 7:51 PM
Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-03-26 1:35 AM (#102111 - in reply to #101088)

Veteran

I have to agree with most of the comments on thie thread. Your trailer is 7 years old - and you cannot possably hold the manufacturer responsable forever.

I do not think that any manufacturer would purposly use a product that is going to fail. You will probably find that at the time of manufacture it was the best product available at the price. You must also remember that you did not buy a top of the line trailer either - so expecting Rolls Royce back-up after 7 years is kind of nonsensical - if you only bought a Mazda.

I would put my pride in my pocket and take the advice that has been offered.

barrelhorses
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-03-26 4:35 AM (#102112 - in reply to #102101)

Regular

What if I was driving down the highway and the window fell off and hit a car behind me and caused an accident that resulted in a death.   They could be sued very easily and I don't think I would want that resposilbility on my business so I am asking for them to take the opportunity and do the right thing.  Safety is first and foremost and these windows are not safe.  What caused the window to come apart was the small screw holding the frame to the wood.  I am just glad it happened when I was parked and caught it myself. 

My guess is that on a seven year old trailer, there would be no liability on the company if the window fell off going down the road and hit a car behind you.  Sure the manufacturer could be sued -- you can sue anyone for anything -- but I doubt if the complaint would hold water.  Any and all liability in this scenario would truly be the trailer owner.  As the owner of a 7 year old trailer or 18 minute old car, you have a duty to make reasonable efforts at making sure the vehicle is safe to roll down the road. If the attorney representing the family whose loved one died as a result of your window falling off your trailer can prove that you were aware of the potential safety defect but took no steps to avoid the negative outcome (i.e. remove or repair the window or somehow otherwise secure it so it would not fall off) then you are going to be in pretty hot water because of your negligence. 

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)