'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Request for help from a beginner (buying a used trailer)

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-02-24 12:30 AM
47 replies, 12645 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Chiefsfan
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-02-17 12:55 AM (#99600)
Subject: Request for help from a beginner (buying a used trailer)

Hey everyone.  I was directed to this site for help answering some basic trailer questions...I hope you don't mind!  I just got my first horses about 5 years ago and got an old, ugly two horse trailer for emergency purposes only.  Now I would like to get a little nicer trailer since I plan to use it a bit more this year. 

I have an F-150 (half ton) truck with only a bumper pull hitch now, so I need something light enough for my truck to handle.  I would consider getting a gooseneck hitch on my truck if I find a good enough reason to do so (safety, etc.), or if I find a good enough deal on a gooseneck to justify the extra money for adding the hitch.  I want two axles, and I'd really like to find a trailer with a tack area...but that's not a complete deal-breaker.  I'll use it mostly for short, local trips (so no living quarters needed), but I want it to be safe & dependable enough that I could take a long trip if necessary. 

My number one concern is safety, and I'd like some tips on how to determine if a trailer is safe...besides having a good floor.  I'd hoped to find something in the $1,500 range, but I'm beginning to wonder if I may have to go up in price to find something decent.  ??  Don't need fancy...just solid.

Right now, all my horses will load into my 2 horse, straight load trailer, but I've been told that I should look into a stock-type trailer.  I'd like suggestions on the pros & cons of the different styles of trailers, best places to shop for a trailer, questions to ask a seller, "traps" to watch out for, etc., etc.  I hate to even look now because I would be a perfect person for a dishonest seller to prey upon, so I'm trying to educate myself a bit before I start shopping.

If anyone can offer me some basic tips, or direct me to some resources to learn more about this, I would very much appreciate it!!

Thanks for allowing me to join, and for any info you might offer!

Kim

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-02-17 1:26 AM (#99601 - in reply to #99600)
Subject: RE: Request for help from a beginner (buying a used trailer)

Veteran

If safety is your main objective - then most definately look at a gooseneck....The hitch is MUCH safer and the ride in the trailer is much more stable for the horses. It will also give you more tack space.

I cant help you with your other questions as I am not in the US but I am sure there are others that could assist you.

Come on Retento and Gard - you guys will surely have some solid advice for our friend.

Good luck with your purchase.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-02-17 3:26 AM (#99604 - in reply to #99600)

Expert

Kim.. Save all the money you can, cause that $1500.00 is not going to get you much of a trailer, gooseneck or bumper pull. An F-150 should handle a 2 horse bumper pull or 14' stock just fine....As long as have a towing package and the trailer brakes are working....Got to go!!
Horsemen
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-02-17 4:18 AM (#99605 - in reply to #99600)

Veteran

like Retento said you will need a little more than 1500, I had find a three horse 16" BP trailer that was only a year old in great shape and I only payed 3000 for it, they are out there you my have to travel a bit, and I could haul two of my horses just fine with my Ram 1500 4 x 4 and then I treaded it in for a four horse slant load gooseneck with dressing room three year later for more than what I payed for it and I love the gooseneck of course I have a F350 dually now , just make sure that the brakes are working right,the floor is solid not rutted, and the axles are in good shape, the wheel bearing do not have any play in them, the ele. hook up and lights are working fine Good luck if you look around you will find one at the right

P.S. check the tire ware if they are wearing even then that will give you a idea of how the wheel bearings are and that they should be fine unless they are new tires on the trailer

Edited by Horsemen 2009-02-17 4:31 AM
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2009-02-17 7:02 AM (#99607 - in reply to #99600)

Expert

The best advice is to take someone "mechanical" with you to look at the trailer. 

Im going to throw something else out there.  Like has already been mentioned, $1500 is not going to go far.  Have you considered going a little (ok maybe a lot) higher?  Once you get in the $4K range there are a lot of entry level trailers that could be had, new.  With a new trailer you dont have to worry about the floor, tires, wiring etc. 

Im talking about something like this;

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=186734

Chiefsfan
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-02-17 9:05 AM (#99615 - in reply to #99600)

WOW...what a helpful group you guys are!!  Thanks so much for all the info!  I'm a little bummed that I'll have to spend so much more to find a good, safe trailer...but that's okay.  I have a few things I might be able to sell to make up the difference.  :o

A few quick responses:

To Barfly:  Thanks for the info on gooseneck vs. BP.  I've never heard that about it being a smoother ride for horses.  I've actually never had anyone tell me they were safer, but common sense suggested they would be easier to pull.

To Retento:  Thanks for the info regarding trailers for my half ton...and I do have a tow package on it.  Any way to tell if the brakes are in good, working order?...just hook it up & test it & go by feel?  (sorry...I told you I know nothing!)

To Horsemen:  It sounds like you found a deal similar to what I'm hoping for...about a year or two old, still in good shape but deeply discounted.  I'll work on hubby & see if I can't beg an allowance closer to $3,000 before I start calling around.  :o)  Again, any tips on testing the axles?...just look under the trailer for rust, etc?  Great tip on the wheel bearings!!  Thanks!!!

To Chadsalt:  I wish, very much, that I had someone mechanical to take with me, but I just don't.  Once I determine what I need I will start asking friends to see if they might be able to hook me up with someone, or might know a trustworthy friend I could buy a trailer from.  I'm also going to work on hubby regarding the price.  From the looks of the trailer you suggested, I might be able to find a used one at a trailer dealership for $2,500-$3,000.  ??  Since you linked to a stock-type trailer, I wondered if any of you might live in colder climates & have stock trailers?  Do you try to board up the openings on cold days?  We live in KS & we can get some pretty brutal temps during the winter.  I also wondered about the air quality for the horses when driving on gravel in the dry, dusty summer?  Any opinions on that?

Again, thanks SO MUCH to everyone for your help!!  I'll keep you posted as I continue my search & research!

Kim

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-02-17 9:09 AM (#99616 - in reply to #99600)

Expert

I'm afraid that you are in a financial corner. The purchasing price you have in mind will only buy what you already have. A used stock combo BP or any GN in a usable condition, will cost 2x that amount and go up from there.

If you are mechanically inclined, you can look for the diamonds in the rough. There are differences between a rusted panel and one that is rusted through, even though both look similar. One is salvageable with some elbow grease, the other is best left to someone else. There are financially strapped people who are selling their possessions for only a payoff price; the balance owned after being paid for over several years.

You may have to revise your expectations. A search through the classified section of HTW, will give you an indication or what comparable equipment is valued. There are many Internet sites, Craigs list, EBay etc that may produce your goal.

Your present trailer has a value. It's condition will partially be a determining factor. Two horse BP trailers are commonly available at relatively inexpensive prices. It's value will also be determined by your location, how many other similar trailers are currently available and the local economic situation.

BOL  Gard

Chiefsfan
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-02-17 9:41 AM (#99618 - in reply to #99600)

Hey Gard.  Yes, I am discovering that I may be under-funded for what I'm hoping to get...but I'm glad to find that info out now.  You have all been a great help. 

I do NOT want a "diamond in the rough"...that's kinda what I have now.  This trailer is primer gray, holes in the "wheel guards" (the pieces that stick out over the tires), the doors have a solid steel panel on the inside, but the "decorative" piece on the outside is all rusted, etc.  Hubby told me he could fix it up with ease...in a couple months time...and that was 5 years ago.    Considering how much the trailers are going for, I may want to check into a body shop to see how much they would charge to fix this one up.  ??

I try to watch our local CraigsList pretty closely.  I saw a little 2-horse bp (no tack room) yesterday going for $500.  From the photo it looked like a nice trailer, but I didn't call on it because I don't know how to be sure it's not a death-trap.  I've already learned some good things here & will continue until I'm comfortable.

When we went out to buy our truck a few years back the dealer kept talking to my husband, and he kept telling him to talk to me because I was the one who knew more about them than he did, just because I'd researched it for over a month.  Drove them both crazy! 

Thanks again!

Kim

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-02-17 10:52 AM (#99626 - in reply to #99600)

Expert

Watch your local papers, craigslist and HTW for trailers close enough to home to go look at.  I wouldn't buy anything in that price range with out taking a close look at it.  No sense driving 500 miles to decide you don't like the trailer.  Be patient, there are lots of trailers for sale now as people are cutting back on their budgets.  People getting rid of their horses may also want to get rid of their equipement.

I'm sure you can find a good dependable trailer in your price range, But like the princess that had to kiss a lot of frogs. You will have to look at a lot of trailers.

Look for a trailer tha appears to be well cared for.  Are the tires worn, is rust creeping all over the trailer, do some of the trailer lights not work, is there old manure in the trailer . These all show that the owner doesn't pay attention to maintainence.  If he has good tires, all the wiring works, the hitch appears greased and fully operational. the jack goes up and down easily, all hinges swing open ( hopefully with out big squeeks), trailer floor is clean and solid. No rust or rust spots of have touched up with some touch up paint all show the owner cares about his equipement.

When you go to look at a trailer, Open every door and try every latch. Make sure they have not rusted shut. Crank the jack. Does it work. Plug in the trailer and see if the lights work.  hook up the trailer and pull forward. Hand operate the brake controller and see if the brakes work, ask when the last time the bearings were packed. Make sure the mats are out and look at the floor materials.

Good Luck

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-02-17 11:26 AM (#99630 - in reply to #99600)

Expert

If the economy keeps going south and the stock market continues as it has today, I'm sure you'll soon be able to find a decent trailer for a real good price.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-02-17 11:31 AM (#99631 - in reply to #99600)

Expert

Do you have friends that ride?  Do some of them have trailers?  Ask who is their trailer maintenance?  Ask the veterianarian or farrier to recommend someone who could help look at a trailer from a mechanical viewpoint. 
luckeys71
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2009-02-17 2:07 PM (#99640 - in reply to #99600)

Regular

I bought my first used trailer (2H BP) off eBay a little more than a year ago. It turned out not to be as described and I have put signifcant work and money into it. I had talked to an Adam dealer in VA shortly before buying it and, at that time, I could have gotten a brand new Adam stock type for under $4000. All said and done, the new one wouldn't have cost much more than the used one. I had to put in a new floor, new brakes, repack bearings, did some painting and patching, new tires, and a few other odds and ends. It could still use an all over paint job and the lights replaced.

I have seen some others on eBay, on here, and on Craigslist that "LOOK" like they are in good shape for about $2500 from time to time. If you have some time to shop, you might find one in that price range. It seems like in KS you should be able to find something. Seems like a lot of the cheaper priced trailers seem to be in KS, TX, and MO.
trguy4820
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-02-17 4:21 PM (#99643 - in reply to #99600)

Regular

We sold a nice WW 2H straight load Monday for $1500. In this part of the country you can find either a 2H strait load or a 12/14/16' stock bumper for $1500 to $2000 that are in good condition. They won't be perfect but quite useable. A used 2H slant bumper pull can run from $2500 to $3000. The new ones (bp's) in the $3500 price range are very lite built trailers. Hope this info helps.

Edited by trguy4820 2009-02-17 4:23 PM
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-02-17 7:57 PM (#99652 - in reply to #99600)

Elite Veteran

Chiefsfan, I'm located just a few miles south from you. Holton Trailer in Gardner and Cooper Trailer in Grain Valley are very reputable trailer dealers and can also assist in helping you find a safe trailer. I have gone through 5 trailers in the last 6 years. Luckily hubby is mechanically inclined and is very patient with my trailer needs and wants. It helps having a horse husband.

I used a bumperpull stock trailer for 12 years before deciding to bite the bullet and buy a gooseneck. That is what bit me! First it was a basic LQ for camping (A/C and electric fridge and microwave) and I thought I had hit the big time by not sleeping in the back of the stock trailer. Then I moved onto a used full blown LQ that was 4'6" short wall - I determined after a year that was too small for both hubby and me when it rained. Sold it and bought a day bumper pull because the 14 foot short wall LQ we bought was too big to haul around for day trips. My current trailer is 15 short wall and I just bought the same gooseneck trailer shell I had with the small LQ to use as a day trailer, but without the LQ installed and it was the same price as the LQ trailer I sold. That was very HARD!! But hindsight is 20/20. I just prefer hauling a gooseneck for ease of traveling and accessing tack.

So my point is to determine on how you plan on using the trailer. Are you wanting to camp or just go to local rides and to the vet? If you have any desire to camp, I'd go with the gooseneck. I found my friend a very nice bumper pull stock with managers in the front for under $3500 from this site. I think if you come up with 3-4k, you should be able to find a safe, nice looking steel trailer.

Also Horsefest in Springfield from March 13-15 is a great place to go and meet trailer dealers and see what kinds of trailer they sell. This will give you a good idea of what brands you like for a used trailer.

Chiefsfan
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-02-17 11:32 PM (#99669 - in reply to #99600)

Wow you guys...I can't get over how friendly & helpful everyone has been!!!  I can't tell you how much I appreciate all this!

PaintedHorse, you have a GREAT checklist that will be very helpful for sure!!  FlyingHFarm, I have started talking to some horse friends & spreading the word that I will be looking soon, but since I have to wait for the money to hit the bank I haven't been too aggressive yet.  Great tips though & I will follow up on them soon.  Luckeys71, I hate to hear you had such a bad experience with your trailer!!  I don't think I'd buy one off eBay unless it was a local trailer that I could go look at first, and your experience just confirms that...unfortunatley for you!  :o/  trguy4820...shoot...wish I'd posted this last week!  Your trailer sounds like it may have just fit the bill for me.  Oh well, hopefully I'll find one even closer that is as good a deal!

And finally, ponytammy, thanks so much for the suggestions of local dealers!  I will try to go visit each of these places soon & see if I can't get an experienced salesperson to help me with some answers & guidance.  If I go before the money hits the bank account it will prevent me from making an impulse buy!!  :o)  I got quite a kick out of your trailer buying experiences!  Hubby would KILL me if I did that!  LOL!  I think at least for the next few years I'll mostly be using this trailer for local rides & vet trips, etc.  I don't have many horse riding buddies close to me so I have to travel 30 miles or so to ride with friends...so I don't need fancy, but safety is a major concern, regardless of how short the distance.

One more question for you all...can you give me pros & cons of aluminum vs. steel?  I wanted to check into aluminum because I figured the lighter trailer would be easier for my 1/2 ton to pull...but is steel much better/safer?

THANKS so much to you ALL!!!  Off to bed now to dream about trailers!  :o)

Kim   

Frankie001%
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2009-02-18 5:59 AM (#99675 - in reply to #99600)

Veteran

I am kind of like you. Have a truck and found a used bumper pull that works. My hubby does not work on my trailer or anything horsy. I would prefer a gooseneck since lots of people have told me how good they are. Can not put one in right now. I bring my rag-clothes when I'm checking out things so I can look under. My sister looks at every corner and under to check the trailer. Everyone has provided you with very good information. Good luck with your search.
Horsemen
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-02-18 6:26 AM (#99676 - in reply to #99669)

Veteran

Kim,  if you can find a aluminum one at the right price I would go for the aluminum one over steel there are built just as good as the steel one and the will not rust and last longer but they are a little more than steel, my 16 BP was steel and you can see the rust stains running down the sides and there is more up keep on a steel trailer, my gooseneck is steel framed with aluminum sheeting on it, you will find one at the right price were I live a friend of mine has a horse rescue and she is getting calls all the time that people need to get rid of there horses because they can not afford them, and the same will go for the trailer  Good luck
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-02-18 8:36 AM (#99678 - in reply to #99600)

Expert

In a small trailer the weight difference is negligible, the big factors to me would be rust or the lack thereof, and resale value.  Maintainence is similar, the wheel bearings, tires, wiring, lights, brakes all need to be kept up, floors cleaned, mats pulled, floor beneath kept clean.  At the end, if I had the money difference, I'd go aluminum.  Having said all that, I don't live in the so called rust belt, and my little trailer is galvaneal and after 12 years still looks great...
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2009-02-18 11:08 AM (#99683 - in reply to #99600)

Elite Veteran

US Rider just published an article in their eNewsletter on shopping for a used trailer.  Has some good tips:

http://cde.cerosmedia.com/1R499a9bce41daf012.cde/page/18

Chiefsfan
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-02-18 11:08 PM (#99730 - in reply to #99600)

Thanks again to everyone who has posted here!  Because of your great tips I have compiled a nice list of things to look for during my trailer search.  I also found some new articles with great info.  We're going to visit a dealer this Saturday (hubby wants to go too...yeah!) so I'm sure we'll get more info there.  We're going to try to just "look", but if we can negotiate a good enough deal on a cheaper trailer...ya just never know!  :o)  Due to our limited knowledge, it sounds like we might be good candidates for buying a new (or nearly new) low-end trailer.  I'm getting really excited! 

Again, thanks to you ALL for all the great help!

Kim

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-02-19 4:01 PM (#99754 - in reply to #99600)

Expert

I only skimmed through this... 

Is your F150 a V8 or V6? Is it a regular cab or extended cab, or crew cab? Short bed or long bed? 

The "bumper" hitch... You are talking about what is UNDER the truck, correct? not actually ON the bumper? 

If you are using the factory-installed hitch, below the bumper, you have a maximum of 5000 pounds with 500 pounds tongue weight without using a weight distribution hitch.

I went to a gooseneck in my F150 (V8, Ext Cab, rated at 9300-9600 tow with GN);  because the hitch was only a little more expensive than the WDH but much easier to hook up to the trailer.

Too bad you are so far away. I bet there will be more and more trailers for sale in SE Michigan as more and more auto workers tighten their belts.

Chiefsfan
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-02-19 8:57 PM (#99764 - in reply to #99600)

Hi Gabz.  I'll tell you what I know about my truck, but I'm certainly no "gear-head"!  :o)  I have a 2003 F-150 Super-cab, XLT, short bed flareside (6.5'), V8, FX4 Off-Road Pkg w/the factory installed tow package...6,000 lb. max w/600 lb tongue weight.  (I don't even know what a weight distribution hitch is!)  :o) The engine is a 5.4 litre Triton, or something like that.  The 4 wheel drive does not work right though...got it fixed once before & now it's not working again, so I just never count on it.

I think I may have misread this, but you're not saying you almost doubled your towing capacity by switching from BP to GN, are you?  If you see anything in my truck specs that I should keep in mind when trailer shopping, please let me know.  I saw a trailer online that I like & it weighs 2,420 lbs., so I thought I should be safe if I haul two average sized QHs in that...even though I'll only be hauling one horse in it 90% of the time.

Oh, and I didn't even think about that, but we have a couple assembly plants just north of KC.  I know a lot of people are worried about their jobs.  Bad deal.  :o(

Thanks for your post!

Kim

Edited by Chiefsfan 2009-02-19 9:02 PM
Chiefsfan
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-02-20 12:59 AM (#99772 - in reply to #99600)

I'm sorry, but I have just a couple more questions for all of you.  We're going to a dealership this weekend to look at some trailers.  Of the trailers on their Web site that we might be able to manage (financially), there are a few stock trailers (6x12, 5x14 & 6x16), a 2 horse straight load & a 2 horse slant load.  Of the three styles, I'd love to hear some hands on opinions on which are best & easiest for the horses.  What about a 5' wide trailer?  Can most horses turn around easily in a 5' if needed? 

I know a lot of this is personal preference, but since I don't have much experience with them, I don't have a preference yet.  I'd love to hear some of your preferences/opinions.

Thanks so very much!

Kim

Horsemen
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-02-20 2:57 AM (#99774 - in reply to #99772)

Veteran

If it was me looking I would go with the 6' wide by 16' slat load, it will give your horse's more room my BP was a 16 x 6 three horse with one divider in it and when I hauled two of my horse's it was not to bad but when I put a third horse in it they were a little cramped, and harder to load when your horse's are moving around, but two of my horse's are big and the other one was a little smaller, and when you have horse's that like to go in the trailer to go trail riding like mine do, I had wished my was a slat load, my new one is a four horse slat load and I love it, and as far as your truck go I would not worry you will be fine hauling two horse's around I did it for years with a Ram 1500

Good Luck this weekend

P.S. ask Gard he knows his stuff about trailers and he has had more experiences than I do, and he is very help full, he has helped me with advise with the conversion of my dress room into a weekender

Edited by Horsemen 2009-02-20 3:18 AM
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-02-20 4:54 AM (#99775 - in reply to #99600)

Expert

I got a trailer just like the one listed here, we use it for pick up and delivery and for breaking them to load haul and tie. Ours is 6' 6" wide and 7' tall. Hauls two horses easly, I have slant loaded three in there. Two 15.2 TWH mares and one 13 hand Icelandic...... That was a bit tight but it can be done. Try to stay with at least 6' or 7' wide, wider is better!!

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=186201

Edited by retento 2009-02-20 4:57 AM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World