'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Horse hauling business advice?

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-11-29 5:12 PM
36 replies, 28030 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

krisell26
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-11-06 7:41 PM (#94418)
Subject: Horse hauling business advice?

I'm looking to supplement our income due to being laid off from my job.  I have a great trailer and I've had tons of requests to haul horses.  I have lots of questions!  What sort of insurance do I need to protect myself?  I have US Rider for my own horse trailer/truck and have the trailer insured through our auto policy.  Do I need a CDL?  It's just a Yukon XL and a 3 horse corn pro slant.  It tows very nicely, and has ample power, provided I don't go up and down WV hills.  KY hasn't been too bad so far.  Besides trading it in for a dually, (because I know someone will tell me that, and it's not an option), what other things do I need to consider before starting?  I plan to keep the fees to mileage at this point and start out inexpensive so I can build a customer base.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-11-06 7:44 PM (#94419 - in reply to #94418)
Subject: RE: Horse hauling business advice?

Extreme Veteran

Talk to your insurance agent.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-11-06 7:49 PM (#94420 - in reply to #94418)

Expert

I'd talk to your insurance agent and a lawyer. Then remember that whiel some horses haul well, some do not so your gonna have to deal with all sort of problem horses and problem people like the ones who don't pay or give you bad checks etc...
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-11-06 8:37 PM (#94427 - in reply to #94418)

Please do what farmbabe said....talk to your ins agent, a lawyer and consult the state police office about cdl requirements, since you will be a commercial hauler.
Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-11-06 11:45 PM (#94438 - in reply to #94418)

Veteran

Howdie

If I could offer you one word of advice - that would be to ALWAYS carry a comprehensive 1st aid kit for horses with you. It should contain amoungst other things tranqualizers. You need to know how to use them and Always get the owner to sign an imdemnity and also permission to administer the trank... this is just in case. As said above some horses travel well, others dont...and you need to be prepared to deal with a stressed or "freak out" horse while on the road. I do not like to give tranqualizers, but sometimes it is needed - so that the other horses in your trailer do not also get injured.

I have done 1000's or miles hauling other peoples horses, most of which went without a hitch - but just be prepared for the unexpected.

I live in SA - so cant offer any advice on insurance etc.

Good luck with your venture - it sure is a great way to see the Country....

Cheers for now ----Nick

Buffy111_99
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-11-07 8:41 AM (#94451 - in reply to #94418)

Regular

My advice is don't do it!  First of all, you can't make money from it.  By the time you deduct your expenses and something for your time, the customers will normally not pay.  Don't forget to calculate wear and tear and maintenance on your rig.  Don't haul anything anywhere without checking with DOT regarding regulations, licensing and insurance.  You also have to have all the permits etc for all the states you drive through! 

We, actually, have been hauling professionally for about 15 yrs.  The economy has hit our business very hard as well and people are getting horses for cheap or free and just don't get why they have to pay more for the haul from CA to NY than they paid for the horse!  We have basically quit hauling except for some very close customers that know our worth.  It is not worth taking the chance on the roads (especially in winter) if you can't make money from it.    

I know a lot of people do this work illegally - no license, not proper insurance, but if you ever have a problem and something happens to a horse, you could lose everything.  It's really not worth the chance. 

Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-11-07 10:13 AM (#94458 - in reply to #94418)

Veteran

Buffy has a point, but there certainly will always be a market for the out of the way trips. Trips that the commercial haulers do not normally do. But I would be very carefull whatever you decide.

One other thing that I did is fit a camera in the trailer - just so you can monitor the horses back in the trailer.

I once had 4 horses in my trailer - one of them was a youngster. We left home at 4am on a 1000km journey and 3 hours in I noticed that the youngster was haveing a moment... I never felt a thing - so if I never had the camera I would not have known... well the young colt - in its panic - sliped and fell down, with its legs between the other horses legs and couldnt get up... was quite a scary senario... but fortunately I saw it as it happened and was able stop and help the youngster to its feet... we were very lucky to not have any serious injuries....

As they say - prevention is better than cure.

Good luck anyways.

jim bob
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-11-07 10:56 AM (#94465 - in reply to #94418)

Extreme Veteran

I have had customers (trailer business) that have been from small to large commercial haulers.  Most of them have gotten out of the business; and have told me that "whatever problems you thought you had before, aren't nothing compared to what you have in the horse hauling business"!  You will get the blame for "ANYTHING" that happens to your customers horse while enroute.  You will basically wear out your equipment, and have nothing to show for it, but repair bills.  My advice is to find something else to do with your time; as it just  isn't worth the headaches. 

The worst story, was a large commercial hauling customer that was pulling an 8 horse rig during the midnight hour, and came over an overpass on an interstate and there in front of him was a rental truck STOPPED in his lane with no lights on.  He could not get over in time; and rearended the rental truck at full speed.  Totaled his truck, injured him for life; but because the trailer was a high quality trailer; it stayed intact, with minimum damage to the GN.  You just never think it will happen to YOU.

Frankie001%
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-11-07 12:07 PM (#94468 - in reply to #94418)

Veteran

jim bob - I'm sorry about your friend.  krisell26 - I would discourage you.  We have people haul our horses in our trailer when we can't get a truck.  We pay for the mileage, the gas, and anything else needed.  We do not use their trailer unless it is an emergency and there hasn't been one yet.  I wrote to these wonderful people a long time ago about the very same thing.  The advice has not changed and they were correct.  Mean horses, unsafe conditions, mean people - lots of paperwork.  You will be a position of getting sued.  Would only do this for a few- super -knew them forever and ever people - even then I would have the T's and I's crossed.  Good Luck with your decision.      
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-11-07 1:24 PM (#94472 - in reply to #94418)

Expert

Like the last couple of people said, don't do it to try and make money. Will never work out hauling just 3 at a time and doing it for mileage. Then if you do end up trying it, think about the wear and tear on your Yukon XL, they built for family and recreational vehicles not constant towing day in and day out. Then you will need to figure out where you will be able to haul hay and water with you just incase there is no place to stop if you have to lay over in the middle of no where.
That is why when you see people that haul for a living, you see anything from 1-ton duallies with 6+ horse trailers up to class 8 big trucks that will haul 10 to 12 at a time. These ae the ones that can get by with charging by the mile.

Sorry, to put a dark cloud on you thoughs, but there is more to it than insurance and lic....
Buffy111_99
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-11-07 6:00 PM (#94484 - in reply to #94458)

Regular

Originally written by Barfly on 2008-11-07 11:13 AM

Buffy has a point, but there certainly will always be a market for the out of the way trips. Trips that the commercial haulers do not normally do. But I would be very carefull whatever you decide. 

What people don't consider is that ANYONE that hauls a horse for someone else and gets paid (money, supper, gas money, etc) IS a commercial hauler!   Once you accept any compensation for hauling, you need all the licenses and insurances and etc. etc. etc!

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-11-07 8:58 PM (#94490 - in reply to #94418)

Expert

Best advice? Listen to the experiences of others, and don't do it. Many problems will be involved: driving requirements and legalities, state and interstate rules, wear and tear of equipment, proper and expensive insurance, possible litigation involving dissatisfied customers, non payments etc.

My wife and I bought all the necessary equipment to start a wedding carriage business. When we were ready to start, I called my insurance agent for the proper coverage. Fortunately he was knowledgeable about what was entailed, and for the next twenty minutes, gave me a detailed accounting of the costs and pitfalls. We abandoned the project before a single event was scheduled.

Imagine the spectacle of a bride, on the most important day of her life, trying to recover from a large Belgian shod hoof standing across her foot. Lawyers salivate at the thought of prosecuting that lawsuit.

Don't set yourself up for a fall.

Gard

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-11-07 10:34 PM (#94494 - in reply to #94418)

and above all remember   NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-11-08 5:14 AM (#94500 - in reply to #94418)

Expert

Originally written by krisell26 on 2008-11-06 7:41 PM I'm looking to supplement our income due to being laid off from my job.  I have a great trailer and I've had tons of requests to haul horses.  I have lots of questions!  What sort of insurance do I need to protect myself?  I have US Rider for my own horse trailer/truck and have the trailer insured through our auto policy.  Do I need a CDL?  It's just a Yukon XL and a 3 horse corn pro slant.  It tows very nicely, and has ample power, provided I don't go up and down WV hills.  KY hasn't been too bad so far.  Besides trading it in for a dually, (because I know someone will tell me that, and it's not an option), what other things do I need to consider before starting?  I plan to keep the fees to mileage at this point and start out inexpensive so I can build a customer base.

US Rider does NOT cover commercial operations...http://www.usrider.org/faq.html#faq23

You know how you make a small fortune in the horse hauling business???

Start with a large one...

Edited by PaulChristenson 2008-11-08 5:15 AM
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-11-08 11:22 AM (#94516 - in reply to #94500)

Expert

YOU ARE RIGHT!  Start with a large one and watch it get smaller and smaller!

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-11-08 10:53 PM (#94555 - in reply to #94516)

Expert

a man I know stared with a two horse trailer and now has  a fleet of trailers in ny pony express just do your home work and you could do it
krisell26
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-11-09 7:05 AM (#94563 - in reply to #94418)

Thanks for everyone's advice!  I don't want to do anything large or cross country.  Just local and maybe into OH and IN.  I live in KY.  I'm also almost done with my equine massage therapy class.
Buffy111_99
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-11-09 9:06 AM (#94567 - in reply to #94563)

Regular

Originally written by krisell26 on 2008-11-09 8:05 AM

Thanks for everyone's advice!  I don't want to do anything large or cross country.  Just local and maybe into OH and IN.  I live in KY.  I'm also almost done with my equine massage therapy class.

LOL  So obviously you didn't really want advice, you wanted a pat on the back and some free advertising!  You have not heard one word any of us said.  It doesn't matter if you do 3 states or 33 states .....  the same crap applies!

jcross
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-11-09 1:43 PM (#94580 - in reply to #94418)

First of all......good luck in your endeavor. Second of all.......get legal, because when Mr. DOT stops you it won't be very pleasant. You are a commercial business regardless of truck/trailer combination and all federal/state laws apply.

The insurance is a big hurdle (costly) and getting everything else legal is just a matter of doing it.

I've been in the trucking business before and enjoyed it, but I always made sure everything was squared away and didn't have to "explain" anything to the DOT.

Good luck and do your homework.

krisell26
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-11-09 6:45 PM (#94585 - in reply to #94567)

So obviously you didn't really want advice, you wanted a pat on the back and some free advertising

If I wanted free advertising, I would have gone ahead with the specifics.  There always has to be a nasty person with their nasty comments.  I did want advice; I think people have taken it that I wanted to do long hauling, which I clarified.  I don't need pats on the back.  I got laid off from my job 2 weeks ago and I am now switching careers.  I merely wanted to point out that I have more things that I can do besides haul horses.  Didn't need the negativity!  Keep it for yourself, I don't need it!

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-11-09 9:46 PM (#94591 - in reply to #94585)

Expert

you could start off doing the runs that the big guy do not wont to do, you could do vet runs, one horse moves etc, see if the other haulers could use you for these type of jobs. people moving from place to place with one horse good luck and keep hope a live
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-11-10 7:40 AM (#94601 - in reply to #94563)

Expert

Is your trailer a stock type or actually a 3 horse slant load. THis will also make or break you, I would not pay anybody to haul my horses in a stock trailer unless it was life or death!

Also remember you are using a YUKON XL, so the life of it will now be cut in half at the least when you start hauling all over the state with it. Again, they are not built for everyday hauling like that! BUY A LARGER TRUCK and trailer first then re think your hauling. More people would be interested if you show up in something built for the job you are doing.
Would you go to a gun fight with a knife?
Frankie001%
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-11-10 8:28 AM (#94606 - in reply to #94418)

Veteran

If I'm reading correctly you are finishing your Equine Massage Therapy class.  You will want to start working and getting customers.  I think this might work since you are hauling horses to work on them.  This is still commercial work but you just have to be careful.  I would start just around KY - then go to other states.  Do your homework!  We know there are farriers and dentist that travel all over.  Good Luck! 

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-11-10 9:06 AM (#94607 - in reply to #94585)

Expert

Originally written by krisell26 on 2008-11-09 7:45 PM

There always has to be a nasty person with their nasty comments.  I did want advice;  Didn't need the negativity!  Keep it for yourself, I don't need it!

Several things are obvious from this dialog: 1) You haven't checked with your motor vehicle department about your status of driving for payment. 2) You haven't checked with your insurance carrier about coverage for the same criteria. 3) You haven't checked with an attorney about the same specifics.

In today's litigious society, bad things happen to nice people. You don't have to be in the wrong to loose a lot of money. Defending yourself successfully can drain your bank account; attorneys expect payment whether they win or loose.

An infraction of motor vehicle laws can result in fines, an injury to yourself or others can be life altering, damage to your equipment can be expensive.

Yes, these are negative statements, and they are all true and based on  personal encounters. Some of us have had experiences, that with some knowledge, others would not have to repeat. No one "needs" or wants bad things to happen, but the facts are they do so, and often.

We are offering you our best advice and information, and only ask for your respect of considering what was offered. We can lead you to water, the rest is up to you.

Gard

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-11-10 10:16 AM (#94610 - in reply to #94418)

Expert

Hook up, Load up, and hit the road.... Sit around and worry about license, lawyers, and a bunch of rules and you'll end up in the soup line!! Remember this.....  "Learning To Do, Doing To Learn, Earning To Live, Living To Serve"  This is what I would do if I were out of work, I would haul with what I got until I could see further..... You got a price per mile set in your mind yet? I used to do pretty good years ago hauling to day shows with a "STEEL STOCK TRAILER". Every one was from the same barn. I'd haul 5 horses, .50 a mile round trip. I would be gone for 12-14 hours, $250.00 for a 100 mile round trip, that won't bad in 1980!! I would pack them in there and they would all pay the same price and the folks would feed me three or two times that day too!! We kept our boarding barn full all the time because folks without a trailer and well behaved horses knew they could get a ride to the show. No kickers, no cribbers, no stallions and they had to be healthy unless it was a run to the Veterinary Teaching Hospital .. It beat sitting around the house being miserable!!  Good luck with your new venture!!

I myself, don't haul anymore, folks want to complain about the price... I guess they don't realize what a truck and trailer cost to operate and maintain these days.

Edited by retento 2008-11-10 10:20 AM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)