'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Harness

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-11-08 6:06 PM
38 replies, 11189 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-10-08 9:47 PM (#92804)
Subject: Harness

Has anyone tried the leather harness @$349 from Country Supply?   www.horse.com

is one of my favorite places but I am a little concerned about this harness.....and I am such a prissy old woman, I just hate to send stuff back.....

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-10-09 5:05 AM (#92809 - in reply to #92804)
Subject: RE: Harness

Elite Veteran

No, but if you get Hi fives on it and decide to purchase it, let me know what you think of it.. My daughter's outgrown KY Mtn pony is said to drive, but I've not tried.. I've never driven a cart in my life and wouldn't know where or how to start.. I've always wanted to, tho.

jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-10-09 8:31 AM (#92823 - in reply to #92804)

Extreme Veteran

Been a carriage driver for years!!  Do NOT under any circumstances buy cheap harness.  If you've never driven or trained a driving horse before, enlist the help of a "professional" or at least a non-pro with significant experience.

The harness sold through the supply catalogs is usually made in India or Pakistan and is like cardboard.  I wouldn't do it.

mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2008-10-09 9:45 AM (#92825 - in reply to #92804)

Elite Veteran

jakey1 is correct. There is no worst feeling than going along a a good clip and have something break. It's better to buy quality harness leather than cheap imitations.... Plus a good leather harness is usually a one time purchase...
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-10-09 9:52 AM (#92827 - in reply to #92804)

Elite Veteran

Sandee from Iowa Valley Carriage sells awsome harness!

http://www.iowavalleycarriage.com/index.php

Please tell her I sent you her way.
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-10-09 12:33 PM (#92835 - in reply to #92804)

Extreme Veteran

Usually people who are involved in carriage driving and who sell horse drawn vehicles will appreciate the importance of well made harness.  They also don't want to be responsible for accidents that could occur if their product fails. There are a few very high end harness makers in the states and in Canada and their prices reflect their artisanship.  The quality of their leather is incredible and the stitching and workmanship is wonderful, but that said, there are also a bunch of excellent harness makers around.  Most of the Amish made harness you will find is quite good.  Look for American made hardware - stainless steel if you can find it for everyday work harness.  Make sure when you fold a piece of leather against itself it doesn't fray or tear or snap.  You may also want to consider biothane harness - just wash it off when you're done - no leather cleaning or conditioning, but the quality of the materials and workmanship can vary as much as with leather.

Carriage driving can be quite fun - not talking about the "pleasure" driving in the QH or Appaloosa show ring - but also quite risky. I've had a couple of carriage accidents over the years and was very lucky not to get me or my pony hurt badly, but I've seen some doozies!

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-10-09 9:44 PM (#92856 - in reply to #92804)

Hi everyone. Thanks for the comments and iceponygoddess What a fabulous website....I had never seen that one before.

I finally got my buggy up here and of course I have loaned out my good harness with collar and hames. Still have to clean up my buggy, have not driven it since my good buggy horse died of old age (30+ years of age)about 3 years ago. It kind of took my heart away. I now find that I really want to drive again....but now I must see about a buggy horse etc, etc....
Jakey: I know you are exactly right about using quality harness....however, I am not up for Smucker's yet...but one day....it is on my wish list.......The Country Supply harness says it is Amish made, but I don't know about it and just wondered if anyone had tried it....
oldguide
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2008-10-10 10:20 AM (#92871 - in reply to #92804)

I don't know about their harness, but i have bought their pack saddles and have been well pleased.  the leather was very good quality. I also own Amish harness and the leather on the pack saddles is as good.
HOUSE
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-10-11 12:24 AM (#92893 - in reply to #92804)

Veteran

unless you plan on showing i would pass on a leather harness for more reasons that i can think of i would go with a bio or nylon, or maybe even a combination of the two. my favorite place to buy harness is from is mydrafthorse.com then my second favorite place midwest leather... both make high quality reasonably priced harness... but i want to also share that if you dont know how to drive and your horse is not a dead broke horse that has been driven in the past 90 days dont go trying to do it by yourself... you would be amazed at how many horse drawn vehicles that have been hooked to once, then sold....
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-10-13 9:25 AM (#92968 - in reply to #92804)

Extreme Veteran

Rose... I own some Smuckers harness and it is very nice, but there are some other harness makers in the Lancaster area that do as good a job.  Village Harness in Bird-in-Hand comes to mind.  The Martin's Carriage auction is coming up the weekend at the Lebanon PA fairgrounds.  It's usually packed with good buys on harness and carriages as well as a ton of other good horse stuff.  I wonder what effect the economy will have on it.  I may take a ride out there on Saturday just for fun.

I do agree that the biothane harness is great for Non-show applications.  My kid uses a good biothane for marathon driving.  She used to use leather, but the biothane is much easier to care for and a good one is just as safe as a good leather harness.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-10-13 9:03 PM (#93013 - in reply to #92804)

jakey...Thanks for your comments.  I would like to hear a report of the Martin's Auction.  Am going to look at a buggy mare tomorrow at an Amish farm near me.  She sounds lovely so wish me luck.

jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-10-14 6:51 AM (#93020 - in reply to #92804)

Extreme Veteran

Rose... I love the term "buggy mare".  Most mares I have owned through the years have been "buggy" ....

Good luck with your search!

Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-10-14 5:32 PM (#93052 - in reply to #92804)

Extreme Veteran

I have always wanted a buggy horse!  Several years ago I was in Muddy Pond, Tennessee.  It is an Amish or Mennonite village, with their own ironworks, harness shop, buggy maker, etc.  They make the MOST beautiful buggies I have ever seen.  They use several varieties of natural woods.  They don't paint or stain the wood, just oil and varnish to allow the natural colors to shine.  Hope someday to own one!

Marla 

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-10-15 7:56 AM (#93076 - in reply to #92804)

Good Morning Marla and Jakey....I did not make it over to see the mare;  so am going today.  Went to see my show mare and to buy some fresh veggies from the Amish farm next door to the show barn.  I looked up Muddy Pond and it sounds like a treat to visit.  Going to try to go there in the next couple of weeks since it is sorghum making time.

Jakey....is it just a girl thing?  I love my mares;  feel closer to them.  Altho my gelding is a really good guy and my best b.f.

jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-10-15 1:15 PM (#93100 - in reply to #92804)

Extreme Veteran

Well...  I guess it could be a girl thing...  I've had a couple of goofy mares - my first horse was a QH mare who was downright mean!  My second horse was a grade mare who was a great trail horse (when I was younger)... plenty of get up and go.  I still have an appy mare who was a great show horse for my daughter and me, but who now has a sight problem and is becoming a bit unpredictable in her actions, and two pony mares - one a nice old broodmare who produced several lovely driving ponies and one that I couldn't get bred and who reared when hitched so that didn't work for me...  but I've also had a couple of herd bound geldings who could be considered "buggy".  I've got a nice gelding now... much safer for my old age!
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-10-16 5:04 PM (#93160 - in reply to #92804)

Hi Jakey

Went by to see the mare yesterday and to make an appointment to see her harnessed and to drive her.  She is a pretty bay (not roan) standardbred of about 14.1 hands.  Her name is "Betty" which I like. She came when called by name;  she was out in the pasture with several other horses.  My previous buggy horse was 13.2 but heavier than Betty, so I think I will retrieve my lent out harness..........  Will let you all know if Betty comes home with me.....

jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-10-17 8:14 AM (#93188 - in reply to #92804)

Extreme Veteran

Rose... that's so cool!  I do like some of these standardbreds and 14.1 is a good size.  They seem to be very levelheaded.  We have always had Hackney ponies for driving.  I am going to look at a nice Hackney pony mare... green broke, but supposedly very calm.  I think she may be bred.  A baby will be fun to have again.

Not too many Hackneys up in this area... I think you have a few down in KY, don't you?

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-10-18 8:58 PM (#93226 - in reply to #92804)

Hi Jakey
I haven't seen any hackney ponies around here but think there are a bunch of them east of here. Went to drive Betty yesterday and she was very nice, so made the deal, and went to get her today. Retrieved my harness and one of the collars and took that with me. The man very nicely helped me assemble all the stuff on Betty, replaced one rein guide strap, fixed another and replaced a missing hame strap, and then showed me how to take it off without tangleing it up! Betty took the liverpool bit with no problem so we discussed the rein position with it.....after all was on her and adjusted, we stood around and talked and Betty was just grand. Finally removed the harness, put her in the stock trailer, and proceeded to talk about 15 minutes more while she became accustomed to the sound of her feet in the stock trailer. There is more, but anyway, Betty is now tucked in a stall in her new home. Will post pix as soon as I can get some taken.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-10-18 10:59 PM (#93229 - in reply to #92804)

Hey You All
Smuckers Harness Shop is liquidating....as in going out of business!!!!
www.smuckersharness.com

You may already know about this, but I just discovered it while looking for something else (yes, I do get distracted easily)
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-10-21 11:11 AM (#93346 - in reply to #92804)

Extreme Veteran

Rose... I knew you were going to go for it!... best of luck and thanks for the heads up about Smuckers.  My daughter is looking for a pony gig saddle.  I sent her an email so perhaps she can contact them.

Keep us in the loop regarding your progress with Betty.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-10-21 9:34 PM (#93387 - in reply to #92804)

Jakey, Thanks and I will post some pix soon!
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-10-23 1:34 AM (#93454 - in reply to #92804)

Elite Veteran

Hey, What about the nylon harness also advertised in country supply?  What are the merits (if any) in regards to nylon web harnessess.  My daughter's pony is nearly outgrown. There is no market right now for a gaited pony of her size... She is said to drive, but I've never tried.. We bought her in KY from a fella who buys and sells horses..usually gaited ones.. He, himself had recently bought her from the amish.. He thinks she was broke to drive and at the time we bought her, her forelock was cut off, which I've been told is common practice for buggy horses among the amish.  I know I'm going on he saids-she saids, but  even though I know nothing about driving horses, I wouldn't mind trying this pony out, if I can get some good advice and assisstance.. I used to ground drive my appy colt years ago (yes, I know it's not the same thing), and with all of the printed info available, I should have a large volume of resource material to pull from....Let me say that this is a very calm, sweet pony, who would make a wonderful harness horse... At 13.2 hands, she's a good size to drive, whereas ahe would be (and was) quickly outgrown as a riding pony.. she has more common sense than my own much-loved personal mare.. 

Any yeahs or nays regarding nylon?

jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-10-23 8:59 AM (#93465 - in reply to #92804)

Extreme Veteran

My daughter and I have been involved in driving for a good many years...  and we know lots of people in the same "boat".  I've got to say I've never seen or heard of any of my reliable driving acquaintences using nylon web harness.  I don't know how comfortable it would be for the horse.. maybe that's a consideration.  Nylon web can bind. 

Ground driving is a very good way to start or re-start a driving horse.  I would harness the horse - make sure everything fits well - take your whip in hand and give the animal a lot of road work before you even think about hitching to a cart. If you have a drag available it's a good tool to get them used to the weight behind them.  They have to learn to stay straight in the traces before you put them between shafts.

There are some great books and videos out there, but do not be in a hurry... do lots of groundwork first.  Once a horse is frightened it is very hard to overcome.

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-10-25 7:52 AM (#93601 - in reply to #92804)

Elite Veteran

Would you suggest harnessing our pony then "longeing" her at liberty in our samll round pen?  I was thinking that this method might be good for the pony (and maybe my own mare as well) to get used to moving at some speed with the harness on .. after getting used to it at a walk, of course.  My mare would also be beautiful as a harness horse.. I am not too sure how she would do.. I think the pony would fall right back into it, whereas my mare would need a lobotomy..
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-10-25 10:59 AM (#93612 - in reply to #93454)

Extreme Veteran

My recommendation to you is to start from scratch with your pony. This way you can truly know if she has a clue about being driven. Do not just hook the pony until you are certain she is a reliable driving animal. Check out these places  www.countrycarriagesusa.com , Driving Essentials, Carriage Driving Essentials, The Carriage House....I have been driving for many years and have competed for a great majority of them. Nylon harness is OK but it does not always fit well. There is Beta harness available at reasonable prices and I prefer Zilco which is a synthetic. Both of these have the look of leather with the ease of care because you can hose them off. If you want leather, look for a good quality used harness. Ponies can be a little harder to fit than horses because there are so many sizes and variations. I have owned the cheap harness you have looked at and in the end you will be much happier and safer with a good quality harness. The cheap ones do not usually fit well either.

Good luck!! I love to drive, it's great fun but it also involves more risk because you have attatched something to the horse. Take your time, be careful and you will have success.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)