'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
home-made electric corrals?

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-10-12 12:23 PM
30 replies, 9219 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-09-18 3:40 PM (#91735)
Subject: home-made electric corrals?

Elite Veteran

Has anyone made their own electric corral instead of buying the kits? Is it more economical, or do all the little parts drive the overall price up? What did you (if anyone) use to roll the elec tape back up when taking the corral down?  What type of charger di you use to power the fence?  I want an elec corral, but since I have so many wants here lately (new trailer, etc,etc.....plus being the only horsey person in the family) I would'nt feel so bad if I started putting one together piece by piece. 

Leslie

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-09-18 5:12 PM (#91744 - in reply to #91735)
Subject: RE: home-made electric corrals?

Expert

I made one when I lived in Tx.  The local feed store carried the white step in posts for $1.45 each and I bought a roll of the 1/2 inch white poly tape and connectors at the local Mc Coys hardware store.  I used a extension cord holder to roll the tape up on to keep it neat.    I used a battery powered charger, the Yellow Jacket charger  http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e07340-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5.  When we camped I put a water jug with a slow leak in it by the grounding rod (steel tent stake, about 6"long) to make sure we had a good ground.

I found that regular alkaline batteries worked better than the recharagable ones.  They lasted longer.  My horses were used to a hotwire and only tested it once. 

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-09-18 5:28 PM (#91747 - in reply to #91744)

Elite Veteran

Thanks Terri,

Did it last a pretty good while for you?.. I've not yet tested my mare (not having a elec corral), but knowing her, it won't take but once!.. I've also thought of getting that orange "slotted" plastic fence like they use at construction sites or for snow control (from what I remember! ).. put it on my step-in posts and run a "top rail" of elec tape around the top..  If it looks solid, then it must be, right?

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-09-18 10:37 PM (#91750 - in reply to #91747)

Expert

I kept the "portable" tape in my trailer, but I used the rest of the roll and the charger to divide my pasture.  No electricity out there.  It lasted 3 years.  It may have lasted longer but it dissapeared with a tornado.

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-09-19 8:43 AM (#91754 - in reply to #91750)

Elite Veteran

Damn those tornados!! No manners at all!!  Always taking stuff that doesn't belong to them! LOL!

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-09-19 9:04 AM (#91755 - in reply to #91735)

Expert

I bought a kit years ago.  As parts have died, I have just replaced them a piece at a time.  Having done so, I would just buy the parts now and build my own.

We frequently haul an electric fence into the mountains when we pack in.  I've haulled two 1/4 mile rolls of Poly string, 40 fiberglass push in post and a 4 "D" cell battery charger. Setup up the entire 1/2 mile of fence around a large meadow and turned 19 horses out into.  When I buy my own parts, I can make the fence AS big or AS small as I want.

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-09-19 10:38 AM (#91762 - in reply to #91735)

Elite Veteran

Thanks for the suggestions.. I've been wanting a fence for ages, but didn't want to fork out $200.00 plus for it.. I don't get to camp much.. Even tho it's pretty much all I want to do..I am the only horsey person in my family.. To my husb, animals are ANIMALS and he doesn't see the need for a lot of fancy stuff..( I guess ever having a LQ trailer is completely out of the question!LOL!... I'm very happy to be getting a new bumper pull!!!) I like the idea of being to put a corral together piece by piece .. However, I liked the idea of it coming contained in it's own bag..Oh well,.. I guess I can dust off the old sewing machine and make a bag, if I really want it..
dawnb
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-09-19 11:10 AM (#91763 - in reply to #91735)

Veteran

Look at the Goodwill, Salvation Army or used clothing places for bags, or even used sport equipment store those hockey bags are huge.
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-09-19 11:47 AM (#91768 - in reply to #91763)

Elite Veteran

Good idea! 

Well, I've gotten 10 posts. so far... I forgot to get one for a gate.. No one here in town has the poly tape, to say nothing of end tensioners or splicers, etc.... There is a place on the other side of town that may.. I'll call before i make the trip.. How close together should I put these for saftey and stability? I figured 1 for each corner, 2 middle posts for each long side and 1 middle post for end.  i can't wait to get the rest of the stuff and try it out at home (barn)!..I'll have to order a battery operated fence charger.. All of the ones I see here are electric.. I know a bunch or mail order palces that carry them I just wasn't sure what brand most people used.

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-09-19 3:35 PM (#91780 - in reply to #91735)

Expert

Okay. Justso I understand. You just want a temporary elec fence for when you camp?

To make a bag, take an old pair of jeans. Cut off the legs. Open up one seam on each leg. Sew half of one leg to the other leg (to get it at least 54" long. Sew a hem for the top drawstring. Sew the length closed. Sew across the bottom Voila - a post carrying bag.

Use a coffee can to coil up your poly tape - wrap it around the outside. Stick the open end of the coffee can on a post and un ravel it.

Buy a 8' long grounding rod. Buy the $80 Zarebra battery fencer. It mounts ON the grounding rode. All you do is attach the poly tape to the fencer and turn it on. It has high and low. When you get to camp, pound the grounding rod into the ground at least 4'. Pour water on it if it's dry.

PRACTICE using the corral at home first. You may only need 1 strand of poly tape. I use 2 strands. keeps the horse from sticking their head so far under they lift up the tape.

I use a picket line. MUCH easier. put a ring on the line, let the horse walk up and down the picket line. Easier than a corral.

randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-09-19 7:27 PM (#91792 - in reply to #91780)

Extreme Veteran

Quote: To make a bag, take an old pair of jeans. Cut off the legs. Open up one seam on each leg. Sew half of one leg to the other leg (to get it at least 54" long. Sew a hem for the top drawstring. Sew the length closed. Sew across the bottom Voila - a post carrying bag.

Gabz,

That is brilliant for the post carrying bag I'v been keeping my eye out for something. I'll make one this weekend. Also, Wal Mart sells these great mesh bags for around $5, usually located in the camping section. They work great for all of your electric necessities, besides the posts, and they are also great for your splint boots, easy boots, etc.

It's nice to have the electric set up because there isn't always a place to picket, which I also prefer. Really, you don't need a whole bunch of extra pieces for your electric fence. You need a battery operated charger (I bought the green one, can't remember the name, from KV Vet or the Yellow Jacket is popular too) enough posts, the tape, a grounding rod and a gate handle or two. Pretty simple really. The orange fencing you talked about works very well but it's extra stuff to have to lug around.

Happy camping! 

luckeys71
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2008-09-19 9:22 PM (#91799 - in reply to #91735)

Regular

With the orange "snow fencing", I would worry that a horse may stick a foot through, especially if they are shod.  One paw and the shoe could catch the fence and a disaster could ensue.  Never underestimate a horse's power to create a dangerous situation.  I like the electric tape, because it creates a good visual barrier and seems to be breakable.  I will tell you one thing I HATE is Electrobraid fencing.  It is advertised as super safe and that they will pay vet bills for injuries.  They won't.  The barn I board at uses some tape, but the owner doesn't like it, because it does require more maintenance, when used permanently, because the wind blows it (and there is ALWAYS wind at my barn) and eventually loosens it. She went to using Electrobraid and one night a horse ran through it for some reason and it wrapped around his hind leg and cut through all the tendons and ligaments, except one, and it was only 70% intact.  It even cut into the bone and the stuff never broke.  It was the most horrible wound.  The horse's owner tried valiantly (and very expensively) to save the horse.  She treated him for about 4 months before he finally succumbed to a bone infection.  The treating vet even contacted Electrobraid and they never paid a penny of the vet bills.  The woman took out a second mortgage on her house!  I hate even looking at the stuff!  She only uses it to split pastures, not for actual containment.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-09-19 9:33 PM (#91800 - in reply to #91735)

Expert

I just use the poly string when I go camping.  If need be, I put one at 18" and one at 36"  But usually one strand at 36 is enough.

Now I do highline at night. Mainly because and deer and elk run through the fence.

There is 19 horses in this meadow, 1/2 mile of poly string on 40 fiverglass post.  One Yellowjacket fence charger that runs on 4 "D Cells"

If you look close you can see Some of the white fiberglass rods.  We ran the enclosure down to the water so the horses could dring and up into the trees for some shade.  The horses came fro 4-5 farms and had not met before the ride, so they pushed themselves around a bit as the learned who was the alpha. But nobody went through the fence. But all had seen an electric fence at home before coming.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-09-19 9:37 PM (#91801 - in reply to #91768)

Expert

Definately start at home. 
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-09-23 7:04 PM (#92004 - in reply to #91792)

Expert

I've use old jeans for tent poles too.. back in the day when tents HAD poles. Now they just pop up...

I love re-using old shirts and things.  I made some heating pads out of a VERY bright hawaian (? spell check isn't helping here) shirt I bought for 50 cents at a Good will store. Cut some large squares, sew up 3 sides, fill with corn, sew closed. Put the heating pad in the microwave for about 4 minutes. (I put about 1 - 1.5 pounds of corn in the bags).  Those printed T-shirts that are cute, but you don't wanna wear?  Sew them up and make a pillow - for you or your dog.

As Terri says, practice at home first.

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-09-24 7:59 AM (#92029 - in reply to #91735)

Elite Veteran

Another vote for the green charger from KV Vet.  It only needs 2 D batteries unlike some others that require 4.  But remove the batteries when not using it to save them. 

I bought the step in posts and poly tape from Jeffers.com and am still using some of the same posts 13 years later, though I have added more occassionally.  I'm also using the same roll of tape and keep it on an orange extension cord holder (about $6 from Home Depot).  I use a copper pipe (also from HDepot) as the ground pole and yes you do need to pour some water by it if it's dry to get a good ground.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-09-24 9:26 AM (#92031 - in reply to #91735)

Expert

We do the homemade thing.  Yellowjacket charger which is easily kept strapped on a short grounding rod.  Electric rope on an extension cord wheel, and we use t-posts with caps on the top and insulators.  We have a flatbed truck that has long toolboxes so that is where we carry the post driver and t-post puller, the posts just lay inside the toolbox and it is easy to make a good pen or a stockade!  We use this on hunting trips as well as horse camping.
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-09-24 11:39 AM (#92034 - in reply to #91735)

Elite Veteran

Thank you all for your suggestions!... I've picked up posts and will get some tape next time I go to the tack store..I go to H Depot pretty much 3X a week, so it's not problem to pick up a elec cord spool.. I'm having fun putting it all together...

Yes, I will try the corral out at home before using it.. My mare can be a bit silly, so I want to be sure she doesn't freak and run thru the fence...With her goofy self, she'll probably stay in the middle of the enclosure (after being shocked once) to be sure the fence doesn't "jump out and bite her"!!.. I plan to overkill on the containment system and have a hi-line set as well as the elec corral... maybe a hi-tie too.......(I like stuff, can you tell?)  I'd better start trying for the lotto!!!

Leslie

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-09-24 4:03 PM (#92050 - in reply to #91735)

Expert

One thing for thought......years and years ago we did a hot wire and tied little ribbons all up and down it, to be seen.  15 years later this batch of horses still thought any little fluttering ribbon was in the immediate vicinity of ELECTRIC FENCE!  Since that time, I just put up the normal, non fluttery, no ribbons anywhere,  hot wire, they learn what it is, and have no concerns over fluttery ribbons!  Works for us, your mileage could vary!
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-09-24 11:15 PM (#92067 - in reply to #92050)

Expert

If you use the white hotwire tape you don't need ribbons.  I used the 1 inch wide tape and even the deer managed to avoid it.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-09-25 12:05 PM (#92086 - in reply to #91735)

Expert

We have very good perimeter fence on our 100 acres, some of our interior fence is the string style hot wire.  The cattle and mules and horses never bother it, so that is a great management tool...
lindszo
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-10-04 10:56 AM (#92564 - in reply to #91735)

Veteran

I am in the process of putting together a corral kit.  I have the 1/2" tape, spool to keep it on and some step in posts.  Question......... Yellow Jacket charger or the Green one, Trail? ( shaped like a large egg)    How do you set up the gate?  Do you use tent ties on the corner posts?  Thanks....... Lindsay

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2008-10-04 11:27 AM (#92566 - in reply to #92564)

Extreme Veteran

Hi - when I used the temp corrals, I just made the distance between posts for the gate about 3' instead of the typical 8' between posts.  I did not have any problems with the posts sagging, but then I did not pull the fence tape super tight either.  It was secure and did not sag, but was not really tight either.  I also used the yellow jacket charger which uses 4 batteries.  I still take it with me to endurance rides, but almost always use my aluminum portable corral instead.  I can add space with for daytime grazing with the electric fence if I want to.  A friend borrowed the fence charger at the last ride, to add height to the steel portable corral for 2 stallions.  Once touch of that fence and they did not do it again!  I had no idea those charges were so powerful, but you could hear it snap when one of them tested it! 

I love the idea of using an old pair of jeans for the fence post bag.  And the can for the electric tape... that is always a mess when I wind it up.  And, I never thought of it until reading it on this forum, but setting a one gallon jug full of water with a tiny hole to drip down along your ground pole will help keep that ground intact.  Great ideas from everybody!

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-10-05 5:18 PM (#92613 - in reply to #92564)

Expert

I have one of the electric fence "spring" gates.  http://www.kencove.com/fence/Spring+Gates_detail_GSSL.php 

I cut it down to the size I wanted.  Works great and has a handle on it.  I got it from a local feed store.  I also put the charger on the "connect" side of the gate so when I unhook the gate the gate isn't hot and shorting out the rest of the fence if it touches the ground.

Edited by Terri 2008-10-05 5:19 PM
lindszo
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-10-05 11:20 PM (#92647 - in reply to #92613)

Veteran

Teri,  Good idea about putting the charger on the conect side of the gate.  Can you use this type of handle with the electric tape?  Can it be cut down to a 4 foot size?

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)