'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer Roof

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-06-03 4:41 PM
6 replies, 3944 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Kesta
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-06-02 4:42 PM (#85073)
Subject: Trailer Roof

Veteran

Okay, the 25-year caulk applied to the seams on my 6-year old trailer is shot. I now have several water stains on the interior due to leaks. I know the proper remedy is to remove all the old caulk and apply new caulk. I also know that the sun plays havoc with the caulk and that none of it -- no matter how long the advertised live is -- will last.

I don't want to go through this process and then be faced doing it again in another 5 years or so. What I was thinking is that a color-coordinated, spray-on bedliner could be applied to the roof seams to eliminate this problem. Has anyone done this before?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-06-02 6:16 PM (#85077 - in reply to #85073)
Subject: RE: Trailer Roof

Expert

Most household derived caulks will last and perform as your's has on metal trailer roofs. The usage of marine caulks will have a longer service life and much more durability and resistance to UV degration. The best ones are polyurethanes or polysulfide based. They are sold by the 3m and Sikaflex companies, through marine suppliers or some big box stores. 3M 5200 and Sika 292 are some of the best.

Another alternative is the application of an Elastomeric roof coating. These rubber based coatings feature a high reflectivity, high resistance to UV damage, and very large elongation and strength properties. They work well on metal roofs forming a completely weather proof membrane. They are somewhat expensive, but can be applied by a homeowner using common painting tools. There are several companies that make and sell these products.

I have thought of a coloured Rhino liner, but never have followed up to find out how much it would cost. My sprayed bed liner is guaranteed for life, and has worn very well over the years. It might make an excellent roof surface, although it would have a heavy texture instead of a smooth surface. The pricing is determined by the amount of square footage being applied.

Gard

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-06-02 6:44 PM (#85079 - in reply to #85077)

Expert

Completely off topic here, but I saw a jeep in Dallas that was completely "painted" with rhino liner.  Everything but the upholstery and tires.  It had a "matte" appereamce and looked really cool.

Kesta
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-06-03 12:19 PM (#85138 - in reply to #85073)

Veteran

I just got back from the local Ameriguard bed liner place. My trailer is too long to fit into his bay for spraying. He might still be able to do it, but it would require a lot more labor because he would have to paper/tape off more. Even then, he wouldn't be able to guarantee that there wouldn't be overspray. I'm now going to check into the marine quality caulks mentioned previously. That might be the easier way to go. I check the current caulk on the roof this morning. It definitely needs to be replaced -- all cracked and brittle. What is the best way to remove? I'm thinking pry it off at the end with a screwdriver or something and just start trying to peel it away. Once I get it removed, how do I prep the surface for the new caulk? Wipe it down with a aluminum cleaner? Alcohol?  16

Edited by Kesta 2008-06-03 12:21 PM
Sheryl63
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2008-06-03 2:13 PM (#85141 - in reply to #85077)

Does the Elastomeric roof coating seal all by itself?  I **thought** you still needed to use a sealant of some sort on the seam.  They also sell this UV/water resistant sealing tape.  You still need to remove the old caulk, but it supposedly holds up better then the caulk. It seems unattractive to me though, and I would want to cover it up with paint or the roof coating.  Check out this old thread:

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=2929&posts=6

Originally written by gard on 2008-06-02 4:16 PM

Another alternative is the application of an Elastomeric roof coating. These rubber based coatings feature a high reflectivity, high resistance to UV damage, and very large elongation and strength properties. They work well on metal roofs forming a completely weather proof membrane. They are somewhat expensive, but can be applied by a homeowner using common painting tools. There are several companies that make and sell these products.

Gard

Kesta
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-06-03 2:17 PM (#85142 - in reply to #85073)

Veteran

Gard,

My husband only wants to do this deal once and likes the Elastomeric idea. Who makes it? Do you know a brand name?
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-06-03 4:41 PM (#85150 - in reply to #85073)

Expert

This company's products have been successfully used on horse trailers.

http://www.hytechsales.com/prod2150.html

BOL  Gard

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World