'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer sways behind ford but not the chevy...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-05-13 9:35 AM
5 replies, 3827 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

bailey76
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-12 12:44 PM (#83771)
Subject: Trailer sways behind ford but not the chevy...

New User

We recently purchased a 3H bumper pull 4Star. I own a F250 extended cab short box, 4x4. My mom owns a chevy silverado, Z71, 1500, long box regular cab. Both trucks pulled the old steel trailer without issues. Now with the new trailer the ford seems to have issues. I can't exceed 45 mph without the trailer swerving all over the road! It hasn't mattered how many horses I have, or where they are positioned at in the trailer. It sways no matter empty or fully loaded. I do my best to put the heaviest horse in the middle stall. The chevy has only hauled 1 horse, and she was in the middle stall. The chevy will haul at 60mph without issues.

I've called 3 different places that sell hitches. As well as the 4 Star dealership. I keep getting conflicting information. 1 guy says I don't need sway bars just a stablizer hitch. That hitch will go on both trucks. Another says we're fine, we just need sway bars but will need separate bars for both trucks. Another guy was just flat out against even owning a ford:) Says they don't have the towing that a chevy has, they are too light weight in the back end to serve the purpose. The trailer dealership delivered our trailer with a F250, super cab. I can't see how it was any different for him than it is for my truck? He hauled it at 70-75mph. (I know illegal). He never did say if he had a different hitch on it or just the basic reese with adaptor.

So my question is: what do we need? Show season is fast approaching and I want to make sure things are set up safe for the summer.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-05-12 12:55 PM (#83772 - in reply to #83771)
Subject: RE: Trailer sways behind ford but not the chevy...

Expert

What are the heights of the hitches on the trucks.  I suspect the 4Wd will be higher, unless a drop down hitch that has too much drop was installed.  It would take some effort, but hitch both trucks to the trailer, measuring each one after the weight of the trailer is on the truck hitch...see if they are differing heights....
bailey76
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-12 1:22 PM (#83777 - in reply to #83771)

New User

Yes, there's a difference in height between the 2 trucks. With and without trailer. I was using a drop down adaptor with the old trailer and you could see the nose of the trailer pointing down to the ground. I switched over to the same hitch as the chevy is using and that seemed to tow it much better. But still not as nice as the chevy is hauling it. I can flip my adaptor over and increase the height. Do you think that would help any? The ford sits much higher than the chevy. So making the hitch even higher will cause troubles getting hooked up! But I can adjust that.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-05-12 6:52 PM (#83791 - in reply to #83771)

Expert

What year are the trucks? 

I don't think I'd believe the guy who tells you that a 1/2 ton chevy has more towing capacity than a 3/4 ton ford. People have their preferances in trucks models, and I'd let him voice his opinion if you were comparing 3/4 ton to 3/4 ton. But I'd rule out his opinion as be biased toward a GM product when he makes that kind of remark.

When the trailer is hiteched to the Ford, does it sit level?  If the hitch is too high and more weight is placed on the rear axle of the trailer, that may cause the sway. VS the the GM truck being closer to the ground and keeping the trailer more level.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-05-12 10:31 PM (#83807 - in reply to #83771)

Expert

If the trailer has proven itself to tow well, then the new truck's hitch height is the only real variable. The Ford vs Chevy thing is bunk.

A three horse bumper pull is very critical on horse placements. With too much rearward loading (one horse, back stall) the trailer will usually not track well. When we had ours, (an 18' box) the single horse always went in the front stall. With two horses, we used the front and middle stalls. The only time the rear stall was used was with three horses. Using this loading, we never had any tracking issues when it was pulled with two different vehicles and using no stabilizer bars.

When we set up our hitch, we went three to four inches nose high at the hitch when loaded with one horse.

BOL  Gard

Turfa
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-05-13 9:35 AM (#83835 - in reply to #83771)

Veteran

I tried pulling a four horse bumper pull with my jacked up blazer with big tires. Sway city!!!  The larger tires would allow it to flex the side walls which started every time a horse would move, and the whole jacked up suspension just aggrivated the problems.  I told the horses to hold still, but they never listened.  I increased the tire pressure which helped a little.   I went to a 3/4 ton pickup.

Turfa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)