'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Kiefer Built

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-09-28 1:02 PM
21 replies, 29905 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

rmulkey3
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-08 11:37 AM (#83511)
Subject: Kiefer Built

We are looking into buying a Kiefer Built Trailer.  Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about them?  Pros/Cons?? Problems?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2008-05-08 1:05 PM (#83524 - in reply to #83511)
Subject: RE: Kiefer Built

Elite Veteran

Please be more specific. They have many models, and have had changes through the years. Much like asking about a "Ford". Generally a good company with a good product, but ask us more & we can tell you more.
TPenning
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-05-08 1:18 PM (#83525 - in reply to #83511)

Veteran

I have a Kiefer Genesis, 4 horse, just a shell LQ, or a very large dressing room, whichever you prefer to call it.  I really can't think of anything to complain about, it's a very nice trailer, pulls well, seems well thought out.  I have a rear collapsible tack, and I think I would prefer a mid tack instead, but still no complaints. Two thumbs up.
dixie
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-05-08 2:53 PM (#83528 - in reply to #83511)

Veteran

What model? Is it new or used? Answer those two questions and I'm sure everyone will have plenty of answers for you.
gaitin
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2008-05-08 3:49 PM (#83535 - in reply to #83511)

Regular

I have a 2003 Genesis X380, 3 horse with 11 ft. SW LQ.  My biggest complaint is that when Kiefer added the LQ, they didn't increase the GVWR on the VIN plate or title.  I have a trailer of this size with a GVWR rating of 10,720.  The tires are also rated as such.  It does have 2-7000# axels for a GVWR of 14000.  I wanted to buy new tires and couldn't put what I wanted due to Kiefer's poor design that year.  Per their customer service, the fenders and wheel wells do not allow for a larger tire; hence the low rating and tire rating.  I have tried the larger tire(235/8516R) and yes, there is a good chance they may rub.  Finally found a Titan tire, made in USA that is 235/8016R that allows enough room for axle flex and gives me the added rating I wanted.  I have checked and there are some trailers out there like mine that do have the correct ratings; go figure.  I have talked to Kiefer till I'm blue in the face and they stand by their ratings for my trailer.  I know that with the hitch weight, I have a little less than 11000 axle weight but my concern is if a state trooper starts checking the weight ratings on the registration and VIN sticker, legally I am overloaded.  Virginia will allow me to increase the GVWR on the registration which helps some.  Other than this issue which just bugs me to no end, I feel that I have a very nice trailer and it has served my purpose very well.  It is well made and has held up with no problems.  I looked at other brands before my purchase and if I bought again, would consider another Kiefer.

rmulkey3
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-08 5:12 PM (#83539 - in reply to #83528)

This is a new 2007 Kiefer Built with a 12' slide out and bunks, 4H, I am not sure exactly of the model.  It says and Xpres with Cowboy custom interior??  It also has the rumber floor, with a 20 year warranty is that a good floor?
rmulkey3
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-08 5:15 PM (#83540 - in reply to #83535)

Thank you so much for this information.  Do you know if they have corrected these issues for newer trailers?  This is a 2007.  Thank you again for helping me out.
rmulkey3
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-08 5:17 PM (#83541 - in reply to #83524)

This is an Xpress with interior by cowboy custom interiors??  As for the exact model I do not really know is it the Xpress??  It has a 12ft slide out with bunkbeds and is a new 2007.  Does that help you at all to give me more info??  Thanks so much for your time!!

HelenaTrailers
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-08 6:24 PM (#83542 - in reply to #83511)

I am a Kiefer Dealer and love their product. They makea very sturdy and reliable product that not only offers the comforts of home but gives your horses a great and safe ride. If you are looking at one you will not be disappointed. As far as the interior goes Kiefer offers a "in-house" LQ option but most people opt to go with a conversion in their trailer. Good Luck with your purchase and if you need anything or any questions please feel free to give us a call!
rmulkey3
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-08 6:53 PM (#83545 - in reply to #83542)

Jaime,

Thank you for your input about the Keifer Trailer.  It really helps alot.

twoeyedjack
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2008-05-08 7:09 PM (#83546 - in reply to #83511)

New User

rmulkey3-

Kiefer Built has has its fare share of problems over the years. Everything from back doors falling apart, to literally falling off. They have resolved these problems on the newer models, but the question is if you have a problem will the manufacturer and/or the dealer stand behind the product. Take a look at the thread by barnestrading entitled LQ floors in steel trailers. I'm not sure how to do a direct link, but its been in the top 10 lately.

Don't just look at the trailer you are buying, look very closely at the dealer and the manufacturer. Research how they have handled warranty issues in the past. You shouldn't have to get a lawyer to get a problem fixed with a trailer that is under warranty. But this is how some manufacturers handle warranty issues.

Good luck on your future trailer purchase.
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2008-05-09 12:43 AM (#83562 - in reply to #83546)

Extreme Veteran

I bought a used 2006 Kiefer Built 2 horse GN with 9' SW LQ last year. It had never had a horse in it and had been "camped in" twice. It was like new. There were some things I found wrong; the back door bolt to hold the latch on, was stripped, the bars in the windows pulled off (broke) some rivets were missing, rubber came off around the windows, etc. I contacted Kiefer and they said they don't cover warranty work for second hand owners, but in my case, since the trailer was so new, they arranged fo ALL repairs I had listed to be repaired for FREE!!!!! All windows were pulled out and re-welded, rubber gaskets repairs/resealed, rivets replaced, bolt replaced, everything was repaired and is great. Kiefer was AWESOME. I like the trailer. I ride endurance and camp in some off road situations. It was 21 degrees a few weeks ago on a ride, and I was cozy with my furnace. My friend has a big Sundowner and I feel it is a higher quality trailer, but too heavy and too expensive for me. Kiefer seems to be in the middle of the pack as far as quality goes. Bloomer, Sundowner, Elite, 4-Star seem to be more high end and top quality, but costly. I feel I have gotten good value with my Kiefer Built trailer. The LQ door is nice and wide, the trailer pulls great and my horse seems to like the way the trailer rides. The only thing that I don't like about the trailer is that the furnace blows right on the fridge. It's directly across from the fridge, less than 24 " away, which seems ridiculous. I didn't notice that until the first time I used the trailer on a cold night and realized I was potentially heating my fridge. Anybody have any ideas as to why they set it up this way?

I would buy a Kiefer again. None of the trailers my buddies use are free of problems.  Some brands more than others, but they have all had a problem at one time or another. Horses are just hard on equipment, and so are road trips.

Oh yea, and one more very important thing  !!   I had never had a LQ trailer before and have emailed and asked the service guy there, Sam Buckles, a bunch of questions and he has always gotten right back to me with detailed instructions on how to do everything I didn't know how to do.  He was and is, a great resource !  

Edited by cowgirl98034 2008-05-09 12:48 AM
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-05-09 3:20 AM (#83567 - in reply to #83511)

Expert

Do a search on this site...back the maximum number of days...I remember some discussion about ramps...
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-05-09 7:39 AM (#83575 - in reply to #83511)

You also said it was an Xpress? Do a search on here for those, there was a post not long ago about someone that was looking at one in CA.
TwoBucksRanch
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-05-09 7:54 AM (#83577 - in reply to #83511)

My first trailer, bought in 2001, was a Kiefer. 2H BP slant. Very nice trailer, no problems, easy to pull, comfy for the horses. It held up very well and also held its resale well. I pulled that trailer for 7 years never had an issue and it still looked very good.
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2008-05-09 8:49 AM (#83581 - in reply to #83511)

Elite Veteran

Do a search on here for XPress. You'll find that an XPress is not a Kiefer Built. Kiefer builds the shell to XPress specs, but XPress is responsible for service, LQ, warranty, the whole enchalada (sp?). If you want a Kiefer, make sure the nose has a big KB on the front. And whatever you do, don't do like my friend and take his XPress into a Kiefer dealer for warranty work. They can't do it & XPress took weeks to finally authorize paying for it.
perk2754
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2008-05-09 12:18 PM (#83590 - in reply to #83511)

Veteran

I recently purchased a 2001 Kiefer Built Genesis X-3 and it has been a great trailer so far.  Kiefer did have a big problem with doors falling apart (they were outsourced to a 3rd party and made from some composit material) but as someone else already pointed out this issue has been addressed.  My only complaint is that the drop down windows seem to "wiggle" alot and I think this is due to the type of hinge used.  I may have to sell mine at some point because I overestimated the stall width (or underestimated the width of my horse).  I've got a draft cross and the only stall he can go in is the rear one.  I may have to go back to a straight load because of this.
bellasmom
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-29 10:56 AM (#84858 - in reply to #83511)

New User

I own a 2000 Genesis 440. The side door and the rear doors fell completely apart and while still under warranty. Kiefer would not cover repairs as the doors were made by someone else. Had to buy new doors. They were not complete and had to buy all gasket material and new hinges. Not happy with Kiefer. Promised them I would never recommend their trailer to another person!!!!!
KeepsakeFarm
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-05-29 5:14 PM (#84864 - in reply to #83511)

Veteran

When I was looking, and looking and looking, for a used LQ trailer, I finally narrowed it down to a Kieffer 2 horse straight load with small LQ and a 4Star (older) 3 horse slant with LQ.  I wanted the ramp and straight load for the horses, but the 3 horse room, the walk through, the LQ layout, and the price were really nice on the 4 Star.  I did a lot of reading and searching and calling the dealerships with questions for a couple of days and ended up not wanting to take a chance on the ramp falling apart, and the local dealer really didn't know anything about the product.  If that Kieffer trailer had been closer to me, I'd have gone to look anyway, but I really did like the 4Star and was tired of the search.  Anyway, this forum answered many of my questions, but the bottom line is the local service I think.
dawnb
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-05-30 4:13 PM (#84915 - in reply to #83511)

Veteran

The problem with the doors falling of KB was the year that the new treated lumber came out. AQC. What they didn't know was that the AQC eats metal that is not stainless steel. We had KB and the back doors were going to pieces we call KB and asked about this and was told just what I typed. We would have to buy new back doors. We trade the the trailer off. We were front with dealership that we trade with about the back doors. But this in issue that KB had for a while but they changed the material that they used in making the doors. They no longer use AQC treated plywood in the doors.
Beaucephus
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2009-09-28 9:32 AM (#111191 - in reply to #83525)

New User

Does anyone know how to remedy the door situation without buying new doors? If you were handy could you pull them off and rebuild them. Save the skin and hinges. I am thinking about buying one with a bad back door. Getting a great deal on it.
ghbb41
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2009-09-28 1:02 PM (#111198 - in reply to #83511)

Veteran

this reply is for Cowgirl:  Furnace:  my furnace vent rotates and you can easily direct it away from the refrigerator. You may not realize that the furnace outlet willl do this. I too have a Kiefer and love it. It is my second one and we have no issues. It is a 2006 Genesis X-340. My LQ are not only beautiful but very functional. We camp in it every month except January and February. We are often at a dry camp and I have added a 35 gallon stand up water tank. It would not fit behind the saddle rack but did fit nicely just inside the escape door. I find it very convient there.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)