'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer frame issue

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-04-16 8:40 AM
1 replies, 3475 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

flash1
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-04-16 7:10 AM (#82048)
Subject: Trailer frame issue

New User

While I was having the wheel bearings repacked/brakes checked etc. the mechanic noticed a small ( 3" ) hole in the frame right behind the wheel ( on the side you could see) This is an older trailer ( 1987 Kingston) but it is in pretty good shape overall, not much rust anywhere else) Is this something that could be fixed? I am thinking by fabricating a piece to go around the frame where the hole is? It is also right where the axel is welded to the frame ( on the opposite side)

I admit I didnt have it checked last year..so i am guessing this has been there for a while? Dont think it happened overnight.  How will this affect the strutural integrity of the frame itself? I talked to two dealers/service  and one said " trash it" and the other said " bring in on down "... Any suggestions or advice?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-04-16 8:40 AM (#82062 - in reply to #82048)
Subject: RE: Trailer frame issue

Expert

Flash,

Do not trash your trailer, and I would avoid any further business with the dealer that told you to do so. It sounds as if he wants you as a new customer, instead of performing the service you need.

The hole in the frame will structurally weaken the surrounding area, particularly in an area where the axles are mounted and the resulting stresses are high.

A competent welder should be able to effect a repair. Depending on the surrounding structure, the repair may involve not only filling the hole, but attaching doublers to the frame's face to add additional strength.

Most steel frames can be repaired. That said, it becomes an economic issue of the cost of the repair, verses the value of the trailer. Even a small trailer is worth a few thousand dollars, and is well worth the cost of repairs, when replacement costs are considered. A fabrication or frame shop can usually accomplish a great deal of repairs in a few hours. Actual material costs are usually less than the labour charges.

While this repair is being accomplished, it would be an ideal time to inspect the rest of the frame. Then, when you leave the shop, you will be secure in the knowledge that your trailer is in a good structural condition.

Gard

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)