'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
O/T - Compact Tractor Question

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-04-15 5:12 PM
30 replies, 10510 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-04-15 5:47 AM (#81940 - in reply to #81736)
Subject: RE: O/T - Compact Tractor Question

Veteran

Reviewing the comments here, I would lean toward buying a JD or Kubota. However, finding one in this area that I can afford is becoming a challenge. I really need something soon, but can only realistically spend about $12K - The only JD or Kubotas around here are brand new, no one wants to part with their used ones. New, of course, is out of reach for me.

Now, here's another question (and again, I apologize for hijacking this forum to discuss tractors, but you people really do know your stuff...and I trust and appreciate the advice given on this board...) - I have seen JD tractors advertised with Yanmar engines... so what's up with that?

I can get a 30HP Yanmar with a bucket loader DELIVERED from TX for $12K - this would be a factory reconditioned one.... am I out of my mind to even consider this?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-04-15 8:32 AM (#81958 - in reply to #81736)

Expert

Barstow,

Either JD or Kubota would do the job for you. I'm surprised that you are unable to find a good used unit in your area for 12k. Around here I would have my choice of many.

JD compacts diesels and their large lawn tractors do not use JD motors. Their gas units commonly use Kawasaki motors and as you say, the diesels are made by Yanmar. Yanmar is a quality powerplant, long been sought after for marine propulsion, where reliability can literally mean life or death. Three decades ago when I bought my first compact tractor, there were Yanmar tractor dealers. Right now I would be hard pressed to name anyone still selling them.

Having said that, I would not purchase a tractor of any brand from Texas, particularly sight unseen. Even if it is perfect, where would you get service and readily available parts? Any warranty would be almost worthless. Is there a Yanmar dealer near you?

Have you looked in VT, Ct, MA or NH for tractors? They are all farming states, and I would think sources of used equipment. I did read that some New Englanders were going to NY dealerships to buy new Kubotas because of better deals.

Kubota has a whole series of BX series. They are a subcompact series of tractors that are quite strong and versatile for their size. Landscapers, horse owners and large property owners have used them successfully for years. Their durability is proven by the many rental places that feature the Kubota brand. JD does not have a comparable product line. Used tractors of this type should also be within your budget.

I was sorry to see the way your thread was hijacked. You started out wanting a 17hp machine and ended up being told, that only a tractor that could pull an eleven bottom plow or carry a 1600# bale of hay would suffice. One filled rear tire of those tractors, would weigh almost as much as your whole tractor.

JD and Kubotas are good compacts; by far the most popular. But if they are not available, the other brands do the job as evidenced by their sales. tractorbynet.com has forums in which every brand is discussed by owners. You can quickly learn which are problematic and which are revered by their owners.

Don't be quick to jump into a purchase. Keep looking and do your homework. The wrong tractor can be an expensive mistake. The right one can bring a lifetime of enjoyment.

Gard

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-04-15 10:48 AM (#81978 - in reply to #81940)

Expert

Originally written by barstow on 2008-04-15 4:47 AM

can only realistically spend about $12K - The only JD or Kubotas around here are brand new, no one wants to part with their used ones.

Means people are satisfied with these machines.  As long as they're needed, they're held on to.

Now, here's another question (and again, I apologize for hijacking this forum to discuss tractors, 

No need to apologize... tractors are horse trailer related.  I've used a tractor to service the trailer.  Besides, it's an interesting discussion.

have seen JD tractors advertised with Yanmar engines... so what's up with that?

Just like Dodge uses Cummins engines, Ford uses Navistar engines, GM uses an Isuzu design, JD uses small diesel engines from Yanmar. 

I can get a 30HP Yanmar with a bucket loader DELIVERED from TX for $12K - this would be a factory reconditioned one.... am I out of my mind to even consider this?

Consider carefully on this one, These machines might be grey market.  Imported without Yanmar authorization.  I've read that Japanese tax laws encourage the rapid turn over of farm tractors.  The Japanese farm culture is small acreage so these small tractors are very plentiful.  Even with Yanmar authorization, you have to have a Yanmar dealer nearby for support.  It is very hard to figure out which part you need without proper documentation.  Parts that look alike may not be interchangeable.  So if you are actually using the machine on a regular basis, be prepared to be without it for weeks while waiting for parts.

Edited by hosspuller 2008-04-15 10:52 AM
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-04-15 10:59 AM (#81980 - in reply to #81736)

Expert

To follow up on something Gard said: (...and Retento too)

There are lots of AG equipment resources.  Check a publication called "Fastlines"  It's devoted to farm machinery sales.  That's how I found my first tractor at a great price.

They have a web site >>> http://www.fastline.com/

Edited by hosspuller 2008-04-15 12:06 PM
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-04-15 11:15 AM (#81981 - in reply to #81797)

Expert

Originally written by retento on 2008-04-13 12:21 PM

Here's a few shopping tools...

http://www.tractorhouse.com/

http://www.fastline.com/

And this site, will give you some brief specifications on that special tractor!!   http://www.tractordata.com/

Keep on looking! All the little "Deere" tractors are Yanmar, the entire tractor not just the engines. They have been since 1981 when the 650-1050 series came out. The newer "Deere" compact tractors are also Yanmar built machines. The 3120, 3320, 3520 and the 44hp 3720 are all Yanmar.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-04-15 5:12 PM (#82017 - in reply to #81981)

Expert

Originally written by retento on 2008-04-13 12:21 PM

Here's a few shopping tools...

http://www.tractorhouse.com/

Just found this at tractorhouse

YEAR MANUFACTURER MODELS/NPRICE (US $)LOCATION 
 2005 KUBOTA B7800HSD59580$11,900NH 
Equipment – KUBOTA B7800HSD For SaleS/N: 59580, Stk #: B7800HSD, 495 hours, 30 hp, 4WD, w/ front loader, diesel engine, 3 speed hydrostatic trans, power steering
Eastern Power Company
Phone: (603)664-7776
Details & Photo(s)
Send a Message
Add To 'Equipment Of Interest'
Updated: Apr 3 2008 10:45AM

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version