'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
CM Trailer Axel Trouble

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-04-01 3:32 PM
3 replies, 5014 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

nvoyda
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-03-29 4:31 PM (#80613)
Subject: CM Trailer Axel Trouble

New User

I purchased a new CM trailer with living quarters in 2003. I noticed abnormal tire wear by the end of the first summer. The tires were wearing on the edges, some on the inside edge, some on the outside edge. This was not wear due to improper tire pressure. The trailer dealer refered me to the warranty department at CM, they referred me to the axel manufacturer,
Al -Ko. The axels were aligned in March of 2004. This did not correct the problem. They were re-aligned in May of 2005. I had to replace all of the tires in 2006, including the spare. I ended up replacing both axels in 2007. I returned the original axels to Al-Ko to be analyzed, which was not cheap, but if they found any defects in materials they would replace the axels. Guess What!! They did not find any defects.. The alignment shop where I had mine replaced noted that they replace more of the Al-Ko brand axels than any other brand. It has cost me quite a bit of money, time and effort but I think I have solved the problem. The interesting thing is that my friend bought the same trailer at the same time and went through all of the same problems. It also has new axels now. So much for a five year axel warranty.

Edited by nvoyda 2008-04-02 10:55 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-03-29 6:06 PM (#80617 - in reply to #80613)
Subject: RE: CM Trailer Axel Trouble

Expert

Have a 97 CM GN stock trailer, haul heavy loads of cattle and 4 horses on occasion, still tracking fine.  They are 7000# axles on a 20' trailer. Just has been a great dependable piece of equipment.  Friend had a 3h slant BP, did not use it a whole bunch, but had no issues with it either... sold it when they were surprised by the upcoming arrival of another child..
jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-03-31 12:36 PM (#80808 - in reply to #80613)

Extreme Veteran

I haven't had problems with the axles on my 3 horse bumper-pull CM, yet. Mine are always loaded right to the weight rating. I do a lot of off-road trailering into campsites, too.

Even if I had a problem, it likely wouldn't be CM's fault, as they don't make their own axles. They buy axles from a company that sells axles to many other trailer manufacturers.
Collin
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-04-01 3:32 PM (#80900 - in reply to #80613)

Have a 99 steel 3 horse GN with dressing room that was bought new in Jan. 00. Still has 2 of the original tires on it. No strange wear patterns. Replaced the other 2 tires because of how old they are.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)