'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
My Sundowner Valulite trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-03-15 2:11 PM
11 replies, 6935 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cliffj59
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-03-13 9:43 AM (#79432)
Subject: My Sundowner Valulite trailer

Regular

After reading the post here on HTW I went out and crawled under my trailer to look at the steel frame , guess what it had rust on it. I first called Sundowner to get their input on the warranty, they said to contact the dealer I bought it from which was LB'S in Harmony N.C. I talked with Phillip Barker and he said to bring it by so he could look at it. I took the trailer up there on 2/29/08 he inspected it and agreed it was due to the powder coating process that caused it to rust. When he called Sundowner and gave them the info from where I bought the trailer on 9/1/2000 ( I have 6 months left on the 8 yr warranty) they said to do whatever it needed to fix it. Phillip told me to leave the trailer and I could come get it in two weeks, I called him after the first week just to keep my trailer on his mind he said it was done and I could come get it. I live in the foothills of  N.C and this trailer hasn't been in the been in the salt or brine that they use for de-icing of roads so my rust is minimual. The fix was sand blasting and applying a undercoating, I looked it over good and the metal still looks to be structurally sound. My job as a Project Superintendent on a maintenance contract puts me in contact with rusted and detoriating metals everyday so I consider this a fix to MY situation, got all the old rust off and a good undercoat to keep it from happing again.

I would like to take this time to thank Phillip Barker and everyone at LB'S Trailer sales. This reaffirmes that I originally made the right decision in buying a Sundowner at the right Dealer http://www.lbstrailer.com/

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-03-13 9:54 AM (#79437 - in reply to #79432)
Subject: RE: My Sundowner Valulite trailer

Expert

That is kind of you to relate. It is nice to hear a good outcome, when people work together, and a company honors their warranty.  Thanks for your info. 
Duckman
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-03-13 10:20 AM (#79447 - in reply to #79432)

Veteran

Glad to hear Sundowner fixed your undercarriage.  Did anyone check the steel on the insides (between the aluminum sheets) to see if there was rusting from water running down the window edges?

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-03-13 10:23 AM (#79449 - in reply to #79432)

Expert

Duckman, That's what I was wondering also, what about the stuff you can't see?

Good to see LB's and Sundowner step up and help out.

traveller
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2008-03-13 10:27 AM (#79450 - in reply to #79437)

I purchased an used Sundowner and didn't get the warranty transferred since there wasn't much time left of the warranty.  I suppose I could try to transfer it now, but I am curious if you have any idea how much this work would cost to have done.  There is rust on my trailer also but the trialer wasn't used very much by the previous owner and it is still structurally sound, I believe.  I know the dealership that this trailer was purchased from and I am not sure that they would be as willing to help out in this situation as your dealership was.  Or does anyone have an idea of how much this would cost realizing it would depend upon the condition of the trailer, etc.  Just a ballpark estimate?
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-03-13 11:40 AM (#79470 - in reply to #79450)

Expert

Boy,I think it is a shame,especially with Sundowner's reputation being what it's been over the years,and the price/value of their trailers.
cliffj59
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-03-13 12:22 PM (#79476 - in reply to #79447)

Regular

Originally written by Duckman on 2008-03-13 11:20 AM

Glad to hear Sundowner fixed your undercarriage.  Did anyone check the steel on the insides (between the aluminum sheets) to see if there was rusting from water running down the window edges?

IMHO the amount of water that is able to get into the walls around the windows would not even compair to the open bottom structure and I didn't have enough damage on the bottom to warrant any repair to the metal itself.

barntoys4mom
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-03-13 3:06 PM (#79498 - in reply to #79432)

Veteran

Cliffj59 ~ Thanks for the positive post! Sundowner has taken a real hit on this issue and it's nice to see someone who actually owns a Sundowner post the reality of their own personal experience. I can't help but wonder how many people who posted negative info on the last frozen link actually owned a Sundowner. I pulled my first Sundowner for 15 years and I am confident I'll get that with the current one. It is a really shame that this happened, but it could have happened to any trailer manufacture and may be going on now with other brands. LB's has always been helpful to me when I've called and luckily never had to make the trip. Happy Trails!

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-03-13 5:12 PM (#79509 - in reply to #79498)

Elite Veteran

I got to tell you that Sundowner Trailers went above & beyond the call when it came to my 98' trailer. I also had a trailer that was having "peeling/rust" issues. I was very demanding with what I needed from Sundowner, and they meet my demands. I bought my first Sundowner trailer in 98' and now...Im on my second.

Sundowner needs to do the right thing with all of it's customers and I hope they met that challenge.
badweather
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2008-03-14 9:37 AM (#79559 - in reply to #79432)

Regular

We bought a 95 model sundowner last summer. The vent fan in the bathroom quit because of the on and off switch. Called sundowner, they said no problem and sent the whole front of the fan, and this was on a 95 model.
3yrHitch2Bumper
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-03-15 8:05 AM (#79615 - in reply to #79432)

Regular

Another very good post.....big "atta boy" to LB's !!!.....thanks for sharing !!!.......
TPompei
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2008-03-15 2:11 PM (#79627 - in reply to #79432)

Same thing here. Last year my local Sundowner dealer sandblasted and refinished the whole under carriage. I've asked for the remainder of the trailer to be done this year, since there is lots of rust on the metal frame on the inside front of the horse compartment, especially near the doors.All this at no cost to me, other than several weeks without a trailer.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)