'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Mo. Dept. of Conservation Equestrian Survey

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-02-25 10:45 PM
12 replies, 4897 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Lea Anne
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2008-02-24 5:13 PM (#77826)
Subject: Mo. Dept. of Conservation Equestrian Survey

Veteran

Did any of you folks get the survey?  I have a question.  I am pretty sure that some of the riding at Big Creek Trailride at Hartshorn is on public land but I don't know what that area is called.  I e-mailed Big Creek to ask them, but I haven't gotten a reply.  Does anyone know? 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2008-02-24 5:46 PM (#77829 - in reply to #77826)
Subject: RE: Mo. Dept. of Conservation Equestrian Survey

Veteran

I got one too and I need to get it filled out. I think that area around Big Creek might be part of the Ozark National Scenic Riverways and Mark Twain Forest.
Lea Anne
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2008-02-24 5:54 PM (#77831 - in reply to #77826)

Veteran

Yes, I think you are right, but in the front of the book on their map with points and corresponding numbers, I didn't think they had that area covered.  In having camped at CCTR I have used Jerktrail Trail, Shawnee Trail, Broadfoot Trail, and Two Rivers Trail which are some of the areas to select.  I just thought that over in that area, from the book, it might have a different name...????
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-02-24 6:26 PM (#77836 - in reply to #77831)

Expert

I have a topographical map from MO that I might check on to see if I can tell.What are they determining from the survey,trying to see about how many horseback riders are using public lands? Part of the land near Big Creek is called Sunklands conservation but I'm not sure just how far it is from there.

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2008-02-25 12:22 AM
pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2008-02-25 9:47 AM (#77882 - in reply to #77826)

Veteran

Leanne,  Just looked at that area on the map and they don't have any numbers on it. I'd just put Scenic waterways. I think they are just looking at the marked trails but who knows. I filled it out best I could. Some of the questions were hard to answer because sometimes we day ride and sometimes we camp and use different trailers.

Crowleyridgegirl, I think they are trying to see what areas are getting the most use. What kind of trails people prefer and how much money is spent in those areas. Hopefully everyone will send in their surveys and we'll get more trails and places to camp.

Lea Anne
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2008-02-25 11:00 AM (#77893 - in reply to #77826)

Veteran

Yes, it was very hard to fill out especially if you do go to the organized rides.  For example, if you go to CCTR most of the time you will hit at least 3 of the trails in a day's ride.  So it asks, what trails do you ride the most???

I'm pretty sure that riding from Big Creek over to the river when you get close to Whispering Pines there are trail signs, bathrooms, etc. but I can't remember who was responsible for marking them, Federal, State?  But that area should be on that map. 

It is strange who got these surveys.  I wasn't sure how they got my name and address.  Yesterday in church one of my neighbors asked if I got one.  He had gotten one too and he doesn't even trail ride.  He does have horses and maybe used to ride in his younger days.

Yes, I hope we can do some good and show the government that we aren't tearing up the countryside, polluting the rivers.  I know at the trail rides down South Missouri there is a lot of discussion about the government trying to get us off the riverways so that it will be clean for the people who float and canoe.  A large percentage of them are young college kids that don't even pay taxes.  If you check out the kind of rigs we trailriders are riding in and the money that we spend in taxes, not to mention the revenue the trail rides bring into the areas from out of staters, that is quite a bit of cash.  I think the survey is taking that into account by some of their questions.   

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-02-25 11:50 AM (#77898 - in reply to #77893)

Expert

And I bet those 'kids' are real environmentally conscious,too.No beer cans/soda cans or littering,they don't get out of their canoes and stir up the riverbed like horses do crossing,ect ect.BROTHER!
classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-02-25 11:55 AM (#77899 - in reply to #77826)

Veteran

We ride down there a lot near Cedar Grove bridge to the ferry. The last article I read released from The National Park Service was that they were moving the horse trail off of the river from the flying w to the ferry and back towards Cedar Grove Bridge over a hundred yards from the river. This is a crock in my opinion. We see so much litter from the floaters on the trail, it is disgusting. When we run into park rangers, they tell us what we want to hear and then we go read the legal reports and horse people are just down right screwed. Two years ago, you could horse camp at Jerk Tail, Shawnee Creek and Broadfoot. I was told a couple of weeks by the park service that we are not longer allowed to horse camp in the park anywhere anymore. I guess private camps are our only option in that area now. When we were at Whispering Pines two years ago, the park service came in there and handed out the surveys to all of horse people. Some good it did to fill out.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-02-25 12:02 PM (#77903 - in reply to #77899)

Expert

I am not a Missouri resident,but having met some of the people that belong to Backcountry Horseman of your state,I would think it worthwhile to join this organization.They are trying to put some clout into the taxpaying trail riders so that their voice will be heard,too,not just a bunch of hikers,canoe floaters seasonally,and tree huggers that would like to exclusively OWN the trails and recreational areas of Missouri and other states. 
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-02-25 12:38 PM (#77910 - in reply to #77826)

Elite Veteran

I hope they aren't trying to use this survey to ban or limit the amount of trails and it's use around the Scenic Riverway area. Shawnee Nat'l forest has been ruined by the reduction of trails. What these non-horse law making tree-hugging people does not realize is less trails to use results in more erosion and wear on the trails - not less impact on the forest.

I'm a canoer too and I'm disgusted by the amount of trash located on the sand bars and at the bottom of the river. The Buffalo River in Ark is not frequented as much by horse use as Big Creek/Whispering Pines/CCTR area is and it has just as much of a trash issue. Hence it's not the horse back riders causing an enviromental impact, but the weekend party goers that pitch the beer cans into the river and do their "business" in it or near it. Same issues for the hiking only trails. I'll take a bit of horse poop any day over someone doing their business in the river.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-02-25 1:51 PM (#77917 - in reply to #77910)

Expert

I agree,Ponytammy.And what would be THEIR logical solution for equity for all?? Fence in both sides of the river to keep everybody off? If they are going to ban horseback riders,then,that would be equitable IMO,keep everybody off,not just us.Heck fire,we're all US taxpayers too,if we don't have a right to it,then,neither should anybody else.
Whinny2
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-02-25 9:38 PM (#77961 - in reply to #77826)

Regular

I believe that the people getting this survey, are the people that subscribe to the Missouri Conservation magazine. I got one, but several of my friends did not. I called and asked for more forms, so that I could pass them out to anyone that did not get one. I am hoping that if we get enough of them sent in, that maybe the State will realize just how much we do use these trails, how much revenue we create and listen to what we have to say.

They are sending me 100 more forms. The email address is Horse.Survey@mdc.mo.gov

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2008-02-25 10:45 PM (#77982 - in reply to #77826)

Elite Veteran

I know that there has been a meeting with some of the backcountry horsemen in Jefferson City (MO)within the last several days... don't know what the results were. Everyone should fill out the survey and write or call their representative and the conservation departments in the area where you live. We have joined saddle clubs in the area to promote cleaning up trails close by and to ride... We ride both gaited and non-gaited and enjoy the conservation lands (Fed and State)... We have seen too many "city-kids" at our trail camps nearby that just party down and leave their trash and cans all over...I don't believe we trailriders do that.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)