'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
McCall Saddles

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-02-24 1:22 AM
3 replies, 5797 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

lindszo
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-23 11:58 AM (#77739)
Subject: McCall Saddles

Veteran

Does anyone have experience with the McCall "Wade Trail" or "Mile Maker" saddles?  I am looking for a new trail saddle with a Wade tree, seems to fit a good variety of horse.  I need something fairly light since having rotator cuff surgery on my shouler last year.  Any other suggestions??

Edited by lindszo 2008-02-23 12:03 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2008-02-23 2:28 PM (#77750 - in reply to #77739)
Subject: RE: McCall Saddles

Extreme Veteran

I like the R L Watson Saddles. Fit a far greater variety of horses.
Heres some info we have collected.

The two biggest items you must keep in mind is that a horse's back will change shape when you start moving, walk, rack, RW, whatever AND, all horses backs are not symetrical. Consequently two things are needed for proper fit all of the time. One, is a saddle that will accomodate the changing shape of the back when the horses is not at rest, and TWO, there has to be something to take care of the non-symetrical and irregular conditions. The Flex Panel does the first and the SaddleRight (or it's equivalent) does the second. Current flex tree saddles will not do this. All of them are too stif to do any flexing, or they are too soft, and flex too much causing sore backs. I had a lengthy converastion with Steele Saddle Tree about this subject and came away from the conversation convinced the only reason they are building the "flex tree" is marketing hype, ie, that's what sells, so build it, but build it stiff enough that it might as well be a rigid tree.

Here is some info on the panels:
"Delrin ® Panels are now available for saddle makers worldwide to use on their saddles. This material was developed by the space program and is currently used throughout all aviation aircraft and also within the medical field. These Delrin sheets were the panels that were the heart and soul for the patented saddle that the Original Ortho-Flex ® Saddle Company developed. There are many companies that use the word FLEX in their marketing to sell their saddles. Please do not take them at their word. Make sure you are getting the "Delrin" panel and not some facsimile of "flex","panel", "rubber" or even rawhide, wood or plastic bars that are hinged on the fork and cantle. Remember a horse’s shoulders and back move with every step and the "flex" needs to move as quickly and as freely in all directions as the animal’s shoulders and back do, while distributing the rider’s weight evenly. Delrin material is such a product. It will not fatigue, misshape or wear out easily and will last over the years of riding. The way these sheets of Delrin are shaped, tiered and layered will make up your "Panel"."
End quote.

Saddle fit is an art not a science. Here is some food for thought: Nearly all horses will not get sore with a poorly, fitted, non giving, saddle if they are not ridden very much, or very long. Most riders are weekenders that might ride 3 or 4 hours one or two days per weekend, and most of their riding will be done at a walk. This is what saves many a horse from sore backs. Even the trainers that ride for maybe an hour a day for 5 days per week avoid soring because they are not riding long enough to cause soring.
Then we must ask, how do the endurance riders avoid soring? If you'll notice all most all saddles for endurance and/or racing have short trees and light riders. A short tree avoids bridging and/or non contact with the tree in the rear and front of the saddle. Even though short trees place more weight per sq. inch on the horses back, if the rider is light and the tree is short, then the contact is more uniform.

If your truly going to ride your horse and use a pleasure saddle of one style or another a rigid tree is not very likely to work an any of them. This is especially true with gaited horses. I didn't believe that for a long time. But the more you watch the gaited horses and study the motions of the back, the more evident it becomes.
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-02-24 12:59 AM (#77786 - in reply to #77739)

Elite Veteran

I bought an RL Watson saddle last year after having gone "gaited" with a MFT and had a hard time finding a saddle that fit me and my mare. I love it!! I only need 1 saddle instead of one for the QH and one for the Arab. Sold both saddles to help pay for the RL Watson. My friend has ridden in a Arizona for the past 4 years, and has just ordered another one with a flatter seat like mine. I ordered the Continental. I live near Richard Watson, so just went to him directly.

Originally had purchased a Dixieland saddle, but it was too heavy for me to place on my mare easily, especially with the saddle pack, extra lead/halter, water bottles, trail boot... you get the picture. I'm short and she is tall so it was a struggle to hoist it up. Very nicely made saddle, but not for everyday trail use, so I just use it now for the ocassional show.

Goodluck in your saddle search.

osue077
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-02-24 1:22 AM (#77788 - in reply to #77739)

I bought a McCall Trail Wade last year. My horse has an extremely flat back (like a mule) and I was able to get a custom built saddle for my boy. It fits like a glove and if you work in the saddle, not only is it very sturdy, comfortable and virtually no break in. I have put nearly 300 hours in it under 3 different horses handling over 100 steers and calves and wished I'd upgraded long ago. I believe the guys name was Steve at Brighton Feed that I delt with.

Edited by osue077 2008-02-24 1:23 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)