'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Painting horse trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-01-23 10:45 AM
3 replies, 3968 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

luckeys71
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2008-01-18 7:23 PM (#74749)
Subject: Painting horse trailer

Regular

What is a ball park estimate to have a simple two horse trailer professionally painted?  It's 7'3" high and 6 feet wide(inside), but no tack room or anything.  Just wondering what kind of price to expect.  It is a 1998 I bought a couple months ago and has the usual rust expected for a steel trailer of that age and doesn't look like it was really taken care of all that well.  I am soon to start replacing the floor.  From what I can tell from underneath, the floor supports appear to be in good shape.  I just picked up the wood the other day and I plan on cleaning up, primering(is that a word?), and painting the rust spots to stop any progression of the damage, but would like to get the whole thing painted, possibly in the Spring to make it pretty, again.  I think with a small amount of rehabbing, it will be a nice trailer.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-01-18 9:09 PM (#74755 - in reply to #74749)
Subject: RE: Painting horse trailer

Expert

I painted a three horse combo BP a few years ago, inside and out. The two major expenses were the paint materials and media blasting @ $1000 each. The rest of the materials and labour I paid out were another $1000 for a total of $3000. I put in almost a week and a half of my own labour. I was told I did the equivalent of about $1500 of work.

A steel trailer takes a lot of time to prep for paint. There is a lot of surface area, and it takes a great deal of materials to cover all that space. You can easily surpass the value of the trailer with a good paint job. Automotive quality paints are expensive. I saved time by having it professionally cleaned of old paint. Blasting gets into many spaces unreachable with power tools.

As soon as you have bare metal, coat it with your rust converter. Otherwise it will start rusting again within hours of being cleaned.

BOL  gard

cowgirldi34
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-01-22 7:38 PM (#75091 - in reply to #74749)

Regular

I had our older 1991 steel 3 horse GN repainted about 5 years ago. Found a local guy who paints tractors(farm) and semi cabs. He took off all the trim, sandblasted it, 2 coats primer, 2 coats paint and clear coated it for 1500.00( this is in Iowa, may be cheaper here) Also, I had him spray on Rhinoliner (rubber bedliner) on the running boards, fenders, and front part (under) the gooseneck. Really helped prevent any further rust, rock chips, etc. Total was around 2000.00, but added years to our faded out, surface rusting trailer. It still looks good after 5 years. I'm sure the price for this has gone up, but it was still cheaper than buying a new one. Good luck!(make sure you have them clear coat it, really protects it)
mgisse
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-01-23 10:45 AM (#75123 - in reply to #74749)

Try to find a school that teaches autobody paint . A lot of high schools and colleges have them. They usualy only charge for materials . You can get a good paint job as long as they have a good teacher.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)