'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Winterizing

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-01-17 9:47 AM
5 replies, 4094 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Prevost
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2008-01-16 4:50 PM (#74571)
Subject: Winterizing

I am a first time owner of a Sundowner 2 horse straight load gooseneck trailer with a tack room.  What are the basics I need to do to winterize my trailer.  I live in the far north of MN. where temps and snow are severe.  The trailer will be sitting outside.  Thanks much!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-01-16 7:50 PM (#74582 - in reply to #74571)
Subject: RE: Winterizing

Expert

Hopefully you have already done it.

You need to make sure the batteries are charged. Don't let a drained battery freeze.

You need to empty out all the fresh water. Drain the tank, blow out the water lines.

Many folks will push some RV antifreeze thru the supply lines. That will protect water that collected in the low spots from freezing

Pour some RV antifreeze down each of the drains to protect the "P traps"

On my Logan Coach, there are several drains in the water lines that allow me to drain the lines, the water heater and the water tank. After I drain them, I run the pump and insert a siphon tube into the RV antifreeze bottle and run each fixture untill pink fluid comes out. That way I know there is no water trapped in the line. In the spring I will push clean water through the system untill the pink is gone.

Empty the fridge and anything out of the cabinets that would be damaged by freezing. i.e. Don't leave any cans of chilli or canned peaches in the trailer over the winter.

Prevost
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2008-01-16 9:10 PM (#74587 - in reply to #74582)

Thanks for the reply.  I don't have any water lines- no camper involved.  I was wondering about the tires.  Do they have to be covered?  Should I put the trailer on blocks?  I have it on plywood.  I took the battery inside already.  Thanks much!  Brrrrrrrr in Minnesota
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-01-16 11:19 PM (#74591 - in reply to #74587)

Expert

Originally written by Prevost on 2008-01-16 9:10 PM

Thanks for the reply.  I don't have any water lines- no camper involved.  I was wondering about the tires.  Do they have to be covered?  Should I put the trailer on blocks?  I have it on plywood.  I took the battery inside already.  Thanks much!  Brrrrrrrr in Minnesota

Just make sure the snow doesn't build up under the trailer...

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-01-17 6:01 AM (#74597 - in reply to #74587)

Expert

Most people don't use their trailer enough to wear out their tires. So the usually enemy of tires is dry rot. So there are folks who cover their tires to prevent the sun's ultra violet rays from damaging the rubber of the tire.

If you use your trailer enough to wear out the tread in 2-3 years. I wouldn't worry about covering.  If your use is such that the tire tread will last 10-12 years. Then you need to worry about preventing the dry rot.  Most recommendations that I've seen usggest replacing the tires 5 years, regardless of how tread is left.

For me, I use my trailer, even in the winter.  usually weekly. So it's too much trouble too cover. My tires are worn out in 4-5 years. So I winterize the LQ for winter, but not much else.

Prevost
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2008-01-17 9:47 AM (#74618 - in reply to #74571)

Thanks much!  It doesn't sound like it matters if it sits on the tires or we put it up on blocks.  I did take care of the battery for the trailer brakes.  That's it then.  I plan to go south for some relief.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)