'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Starving Miniature Horses in Kansas

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-10-25 10:17 PM
18 replies, 7568 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-10-07 8:33 AM (#68926)
Subject: Starving Miniature Horses in Kansas

Extreme Veteran

Am cross posting this because it is unbelieveable and they would like to get the word out to as many people as they can, because for 2 weeks no one in official status wants to get involved. The group Chances Miniature Horse Rescue and others have been trying for the last 2+weeks to help these miniature horses. It seems the Sheriff either doesn't want to get involved or is friends with the owner of the minis. It also seems if you keep reading towards where the thread is more current, have posted a second link to help jump to that part, that the owner of the minis has received government money for having them. Apparently you can get farm money for farming, but don't actually have to farm, in this case feed the animals? http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?showtopic=83038&st=... Wonder what disaster he's going to claim killed these minis. Doubt he'll admit he is the disaster.

The only mistake the rescue made was they provided water and then took pictures. The owner may claim that he gave the horses water. Kind of a he said, she said kinda thing.

Anyway, here are the links, perhaps there is someone in Kansas or the media that can help the legal route along? Seems up to this point the media has been apathetic about these little horses plight. Or they've talked to the sheriff who likely informed them that there was no problem? http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?s=2a0d77f7b4a5500139e1d607b74cac77&showtopic=83038&st=0

http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?showtopic=83038&st=550&#entry893776

Links to some of the graphic pics of the minis:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/blueridgeminis/KSMinis15.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/blueridgeminis/KSMinis11.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/blueridgeminis/KSMinis7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/blueridgeminis/KSMinis5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/blueridgeminis/KSMinis0.jpg

Edited by Yvette 2007-10-07 8:38 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
flummoxed
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-10-07 9:37 AM (#68927 - in reply to #68926)
Subject: RE: Starving Miniature Horses in Kansas

Since you are from Illinois I would recommend you call Donna Ewing at HARPS (Hooved Animal Rescue and Protection Society). Their phone number is 847-382-0503 and web site is http://www.harpsonline.org. Donna founded the first equine humane society some 30+ years ago and was instrumental in many states passing legislation for better protection of equines.
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-10-07 10:48 AM (#68929 - in reply to #68926)

Elite Veteran

Why is it so darn difficult for authorities to be harder on people who do this to defenseless animals? What are they NOT seeing?
Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-10-07 12:02 PM (#68932 - in reply to #68926)

Extreme Veteran

Chances Miniature Horse Rescue from reading the thread is involved in this, but apparently the Sheriff for that location is unwilling to help for whatever reason. I did send them HARPS and HAHS info as a can't hurt might help.

Until someone convinces the Sheriff to do what needs to be done to help these minis, there is only so much any of the organizations can do. Without him they can't remove the minis without being charged with theft no matter how horrible their situation. So whether the Sheriff is friends with this particular hoarder? or perhaps his family is? or if the Sheriff involved just doesn't want to do the work involved in helping these horses I do not know? For whatever reason the media has yet to take an interest, which if they would, could light a fire under that Sheriff's butt.

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-10-07 12:08 PM (#68933 - in reply to #68926)

Elite Veteran

OK, maybe I'm reading too fast, but nowhere do I see WHERE in Kansas this place is, which county or who the sheriff is. How can you do anything to help if you don't know these important facts?
Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-10-07 12:15 PM (#68934 - in reply to #68933)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by terri s on 2007-10-07 12:08 PM OK, maybe I'm reading too fast, but nowhere do I see WHERE in Kansas this place is, which county or who the sheriff is. How can you do anything to help if you don't know these important facts?

All the info is on the first page of the thread. http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?s=2a0d77f7b4a5500139e1d607b74cac77&showtopic=83038&st=0

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-10-07 5:31 PM (#68944 - in reply to #68934)

Expert

I would think that the county judge should be contacted.Also,in our county,there is a quorum court with members from each district,not sure about here tho.

I would contact each local TV station and post the pictures of the minis in as many local newspapers in that area as I could.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-10-07 5:48 PM (#68946 - in reply to #68926)

Call me  cynical, I would be suspicious of this "report."  Remember the weird deal that 100 plus horses were going to be seized in West Tennessee?  Didn't happen, just one of those internet rumor things.
Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-10-07 7:57 PM (#68954 - in reply to #68946)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by rose on 2007-10-07 5:48 PM Call me  cynical, I would be suspicious of this "report."  Remember the weird deal that 100 plus horses were going to be seized in West Tennessee?  Didn't happen, just one of those internet rumor things.
I would be, except the President of CMHR is involved and has been on the property. They are a reputable organization. Not sure what all is going on, but if you read the thread carefully the vet that was contacted to do an evaluation is shocked that the Sheriff is doing nothing as her report pretty much said every animal was in need of veterinary care. It's a long thread, but these people are doing everything they can for these minis. Here's hoping they get the help they need to seize those minis before they start dying. http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?s=77347b0f8d5c2371da4a0adc185160e2&showtopic=83038&st=700

Perhaps the power of youtube?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofbRCVwXcaI

Edited by Yvette 2007-10-07 8:01 PM
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-10-07 8:00 PM (#68955 - in reply to #68946)

Expert

If it is,I know how that "good ole boy" system works.It's alive and well around here,and in Missouri,too.

I emailed/called the sherriff of a county in Missouri where we've ridden for years in an area that is partly managed by a timber company,partly by Missouri Dept.of Waterways,and part by private individuals that own some of it.I was trying to find out the owner of the property where we enter the land at,because we've been told that they have it posted,and ect ect not allowing anybody on it,ect.Others in the vicinity have told us that the individual does NOT own the entire road where we ride in,and it is shared,this was once an old train tram,and local laws apply that say a road is not owned entirely by any individual,ect.A woman that lives in the little commuinity told us the road is half hers,and we are welcome to ride anytime.

I say all this to tell you that: I tried and tried to find out information from the county assessor,as the sherriff's office suggested,I called twice,emailed 3 times,finally exasperated told them forget it,I'd ride there anyway,and I sent a copy to the sherriff's office.Nairy a word ever replied,no call,email,nothing,notta,just could imagine them laughing,saying,"That old gal from Arkansas sure is a pest,ect."

This sherriff,if this is the truth,and those pictures of those minis had to come from someplace,sounds about like these "good ole boys" in Missouri and elsewhere.You can just hear them,'Ole --- Trembly out there,sure has got these women stirred up over those little ponies,don't he?? Ha ha."

Apathy,more stuff to worry about than somebody trying to abide by the law,you know?

PS didn't mean to hijack the thread,I am willing to do whatever everyone else can do to help in this situation.

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2007-10-07 8:02 PM
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-10-07 8:34 PM (#68958 - in reply to #68926)

Yvette

If the folks in Kansas cannot get the local sheriff to act, then they need to go to the District Attorney (or State's Attorney) for the county where the animals are located;  animal neglect/cruelty is a crime. 

Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-10-07 11:18 PM (#68979 - in reply to #68955)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by crowleysridgegirl on 2007-10-07 8:00 PM

If it is,I know how that "good ole boy" system works.It's alive and well around here,and in Missouri,too.

I emailed/called the sherriff of a county in Missouri where we've ridden for years in an area that is partly managed by a timber company,partly by Missouri Dept.of Waterways,and part by private individuals that own some of it.I was trying to find out the owner of the property where we enter the land at,because we've been told that they have it posted,and ect ect not allowing anybody on it,ect.Others in the vicinity have told us that the individual does NOT own the entire road where we ride in,and it is shared,this was once an old train tram,and local laws apply that say a road is not owned entirely by any individual,ect.A woman that lives in the little commuinity told us the road is half hers,and we are welcome to ride anytime.

I say all this to tell you that: I tried and tried to find out information from the county assessor,as the sherriff's office suggested,I called twice,emailed 3 times,finally exasperated told them forget it,I'd ride there anyway,and I sent a copy to the sherriff's office.Nairy a word ever replied,no call,email,nothing,notta,just could imagine them laughing,saying,"That old gal from Arkansas sure is a pest,ect."

This sherriff,if this is the truth,and those pictures of those minis had to come from someplace,sounds about like these "good ole boys" in Missouri and elsewhere.You can just hear them,'Ole --- Trembly out there,sure has got these women stirred up over those little ponies,don't he?? Ha ha."

Apathy,more stuff to worry about than somebody trying to abide by the law,you know?

PS didn't mean to hijack the thread,I am willing to do whatever everyone else can do to help in this situation.

Sadly I think you are on the right track here. If you read through the mini horse thread you will find they have contacted everyone from the Sheriff, the DA all the way up to the Governor. Now it's just a waiting game and hoping the guy doesn't truck them off somewhere else.
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-10-12 9:28 AM (#69252 - in reply to #68926)

Elite Veteran

Joplin TV news last night reported that the Southern Equine Rescue group, along with county atty, vet and sheriff rescued these horses. Mr. Tembley (sp?) agreed to surrender 11 of the animals. The report stated that the animals were expected to survive and be in good health.
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-10-12 11:04 AM (#69255 - in reply to #68926)

Elite Veteran

So what happened to the owner?
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-10-12 3:15 PM (#69272 - in reply to #68926)

Elite Veteran

Nothing particular was said other than he wanted what was best for the horses and agreed to give them up. No statement was made about pending charges, just the usual "the situation is under investigation" statement.
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-10-13 6:20 AM (#69292 - in reply to #68926)

Elite Veteran

He should've given them up a lot sooner. If I knew I couldn't maintain my horses, I would be asking for help from every horse person/friend I could find in order to reduce the herd and get them placed. Did he even try?

Edited by Gone 2007-10-15 10:08 AM
Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-10-13 12:56 PM (#69309 - in reply to #68926)

Extreme Veteran

Here's some links to news clips about the ponies. They are heading in the right direction, but wonder if we won't be seeing him in the news again in the future. OK, so perhaps it's because people aren't sending me money to feed and care for my horses, but what is he going to do when the charity wanes. No one is going to want to support his business forever. Anyway, hope they can convince him to get the herd down to a size he can afford and care for. It strikes me he's more upset that he isn't getting any money for the wormy, starved, injured ponies that CMHR got permission to remove than the actual welfare of the ponies in his care.

http://www.myfoxkc.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=4580578&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1

http://www.myfoxkc.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=4624499&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1

fixed the link

Edited by Yvette 2007-10-13 1:04 PM
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-10-22 11:16 AM (#69757 - in reply to #68926)

Originally written by Yvette on 2007-10-07 8:33 AM

Am cross posting this because it is unbelieveable and they would like to get the word out to as many people as they can, because for 2 weeks no one in official status wants to get involved. The group Chances Miniature Horse Rescue and others have been trying for the last 2+weeks to help these miniature horses. It seems the Sheriff either doesn't want to get involved or is friends with the owner of the minis. It also seems if you keep reading towards where the thread is more current, have posted a second link to help jump to that part, that the owner of the minis has received government money for having them.

Ok I just talked to the Farm Service Agency which handles the ag $$ for the feds.  There is NO money for horses.  Now this may be only in TN but I doubt that.  So maybe the mini owner received some state $$, but I doubt that too.

Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-10-25 10:17 PM (#70011 - in reply to #68926)

Extreme Veteran

Don't know what he received the money for and since the original thread is gone, don't know who found the info. Freedom of information act stuff. Anyway, if blind, lame horses are his best, he really does need to get out of the business. I think he's doing what husbands, wives, etc. often do when caught in a lie, try to make it the other persons fault. All I know for sure is the rescue tried for over two weeks to talk to the sheriff and Mr Trembly before taking it to the public for help. I suppose if they had waited for some ponies to die first, people would have second guessed less. Then again, they'd be asking why they didn't do something sooner since they knew there was a problem. No easy answers. All we can do is hope that as many people that can buy more of his ponies and he doesn't try to breed back what he's sold, thinking he's got a new found market for wormy half starved minis. http://www.chancesminihorserescue.org/index.htm Edited to add another link to photos of rescues. http://dianerogersphoto.com/gallery-minihorses.htm The largest problem, is those with the uneducated mind will first look at the horses gut and think what a hay belly. When you see a top line like these ponies have, and if they were less hairy, the ribs you could see otherwise, that is not a belly from eating, that is a belly distended by the gasses of the worm infestation in their gut. Lovely, huh?

Edited by Yvette 2007-10-26 7:03 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)