'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Pyramid State Park, Pinkneyville IL

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-10-10 11:00 PM
2 replies, 3646 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-09-14 8:18 AM (#67853)
Subject: Pyramid State Park, Pinkneyville IL

Veteran

Has anyone ridden these trails?  We were looking for a day ride.  Just wanted to know what the trails were like--rocky (gravel), hilly, etc.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
FarmGirl
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-10 10:53 PM (#69194 - in reply to #67853)
Subject: RE: Pyramid State Park, Pinkneyville IL

I frequently ride this trail and I highly recommend it.  It is my favorite local trail when I can't get down to the Shawnee.  My favorite things about this trail are the lakes (there are many throughout the 10-mile trail) and there are a couple of spots where you ride through very tall pine trees (reminds me of the Shawnee).  It's about the same distance from my place as the trails at Forbes and I always choose Pyramid.  The trails are well marked and there is a trail map at the ranger's station.  We usually get through the 10-mile trail in about 2 1/2 hours, at a leisurely pace (mostly walking, some trotting/cantering), but there are other trails within the 10-mile loop if you want to ride longer.  If you want more info, I would be happy to answer any specific questions you have.
FarmGirl
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-10 11:00 PM (#69195 - in reply to #67853)
Subject: RE: Pyramid State Park, Pinkneyville IL

Sorry, I failed to answer your question about rocky, hilly, etc.  The trails are not rocky, except for the 1/4 mile "bridle entrance" trail that gets you out to the main trails - the rest of the trails are dirt w/some grassy areas where you ride next to corn fields.  There are some small hills, but nothing like the Shawnee or Giant City trails.  Also, if you haven't been riding here, note that you don't turn into the first entrance to Pyramid State Park if you're coming south on 127.  You should go to the intersection of 154 and 127 and use that entrance to get to the main horse trails.  This entrance will also take you past the ranger's station to pick up your trail map.

Happy trails!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)