'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Electric Jack, yet again - oil? grease?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-09-10 10:10 AM
4 replies, 3103 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

pasobeth
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-09-09 3:26 PM (#67517)
Subject: Electric Jack, yet again - oil? grease?

Regular

Have an Equalizer electric jack on my 2h gn Eby with LQ. Had the jack installed new 4-5 years ago. When I have to unhook - run the jack up - the motor will cut out and stop completely after a few "cranks". Then I wait until I hear 2 "clicks" in the control box and I know I can hit the switch and get a few more cranks out of it. This can take up to 4 times of this routine. Sometimes the jack will get "hung-up" and I have to get out the hand crank and assist the electric motor. Now, I am middle-age woman, allright, more than, OK? I cannot remember if the jack always did this. I do not believe it did. My quest(s) are: 1) Is there something I should have oiled on this jack motor? And if so, where do I oil...In the couple little holes on the motor cylinder thingy? Seems like it is overheating or something. 2) Should I grease the actual jack (the thing with the foot that telescopes and meets the ground when unhooked)? 3) Is my electric jack motor just burning out? I know the hydraulic is the way to go, but with my small rig the electric seem(ed) fine. Thanks in advance for any help you can send my way. You folks have answered all my questions in the past and your expertise is appreciated.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-09-09 4:08 PM (#67523 - in reply to #67517)
Subject: RE: Electric Jack, yet again - oil? grease?

Veteran

First thing I would check is the voltage the motor is getting. From what you describe the automatic circuit breaker is kicking in and out. How old is the battery on your trailer ?, 4 years is approaching the life span of your battery.. Make sure all the electrical connections are good, bouncing down the road will loosen bolted and crimped connections after awhile, also look for corrosion.Try plugging in the trailer to a 120 AC source and see if it still does it.If it does not this points to a weak 12V. system ( think battery, loose connections, corrosion). Second, most of these have grease or oil points, your owners manual for the jack is needed to identify these. Third, I would Imagine 4 years is a pretty good life span for these electric jacks. Replacements are only a couple hundred dollars but rule out the electrical system and any jack problems ( binding, lack of grease, etc.) before replacing it. I would expect any decent garage or RV service center could run all these things down within about an hour.Rich
pasobeth
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-09-10 7:27 AM (#67566 - in reply to #67517)

Regular

The batteries are fine.  I replace every other year without fail and have solar panels to recharge.  Here is another piece of info.  It NEVER cuts out when I am cranking the gn down - only when it's working to lift up, which tells me it's a power (lack of) thing and the motor is cutting out/overheating. And possibly the foot itself needs greased. I will get it down to the RV dealer and see if he has any suggestions.  Geeze, I spent nearly $800. for this and it was installed when I bought my trailer (could be as old as 6 years).  The trailer dealership did not give me an owners manual with it (the electric jack), but I wanted the electric jack added on before I picked it up.  I guess I am dreaming, but it sure seems like the thing should last more than 5 years.  I mean, how much does it get used a year.  I am in the Northeast and my trailer is only gone some summer weekends.  Not even on the road from November through May.
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2007-09-10 9:34 AM (#67575 - in reply to #67517)

Elite Veteran

Paso,
As was said before, check for a binding in the actual jack itself. Your electric components are likely still good. But you may have to take the electric motor off to truly check the manual gearbox for binding. And manual jacks do eventually wear out. And don't be afariad of the electric motor. I've noticed here lately everyone has been on the hydraulic bandwagon, but the ones like you have serve a lot of us very well!
pasobeth
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-09-10 10:10 AM (#67579 - in reply to #67517)

Regular

Horsey - Thank you for the info.  I checked the equilizer web site and they have a users manual and drawings, etc and I have printed them off for my husband to see.  He may feel he can trouble shoot AND they do give an 800 number for assistance.  So I just may be on my way to getting this thing resolved.  Thanks, all for your help.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)