'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
cable fences

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-09-07 1:08 AM
12 replies, 4922 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cindydj
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-08-18 12:18 PM (#66052)
Subject: cable fences

Regular

We have lived here two years and never had a horse get into the wire....until the last few months. We bought a great little 3 year old Peppy San Badger mare for a steal and I be darn if she hasn't gotten into the fence twice. Now did I mention this entire place is the old 4 prong barbed wire.....no serious damage yet but I know we have got to do something.

The neighbors old mare and ours try and play over the fence. Then my young one will kick both back leggs into the fence....

I don't have a lot of money for new fences right now. I am looking at  cable fencing. One of my neighbors even has mules in a fences with pipe pole and all cables no pipe on top....I also am thinking of stinging an electric wire a foot or so inside the barb wire until I can replace this....Any ideas would help.

The proplen is I am right in the middle of the barnett shale so pipe is about $1.45 a foot and labor is outrageous....

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-08-18 6:17 PM (#66066 - in reply to #66052)
Subject: RE: cable fences

Veteran

On the plus side, if they have to tear down your fence to put the pipeline through, the labor to rebuild it is free. 

Don't know if this will work for you-I have had two friends build fences from new used material-they found farms that were being developed and the developers told them they could have the material if they hauled it away.  Talk to developers or people selling their land.  A long shot I know.

i think that the electric wire is your best bet until you can afford the stuff you really want.

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-08-18 7:20 PM (#66071 - in reply to #66052)

Expert

Hot wire it!
cindydj
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-08-18 8:03 PM (#66074 - in reply to #66052)

Regular

I have decided I must hot wire. Now how do I do it? Do I attach to the post already there or should I move it a few feet and add new poles.

After looking at her wounds and the fence I think she reared up and she must have stradled the fence. Thank goodness it was in bad shap and not very high.

Also would you use the horse tape or wire and what about chargers?

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-08-18 8:20 PM (#66076 - in reply to #66052)

Elite Veteran

Another thought is to look at Electrobraid. This fencing material is like nylon rope with copper wires in it that become electrified with a charger. Posts only have to be 25' a part and 3 strands is suffecient for horses. Very safe as long as it is kept tight and easy to install.
dwnsouth
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-08-19 5:17 PM (#66123 - in reply to #66052)

Regular

You can get the little push in/step in poles with a place already on it for the hot wire for about a buck 25 and string the wire on them.  It can be 15 to 20 feet apart just pull the wire kinda tight.  Put it just out far enough from the existing fence so the horse will have to get up next to it to associate over the fence with the friend.  I am pretty sure after one touch, the friend will become a long distance buddy.  In all my years, I have only had one horse, stupid stud try it two times but after that he would stand and stare/call to the mare but never tried to get to her over the fence.  Hot wire has gotta be one of the best inventions next to hay string and duct tape, in my opinion!!!!! 
cindydj
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-08-19 9:04 PM (#66132 - in reply to #66052)

Regular

Thanks all. I went TSC and got the poles and poly tape and it appears to be working. The donkey was the first one and the other guys just stood and watched. This makes me wonder do they tell each other because the other three are staying away too. Now I don't know why I didn't do this sooner. I will be dviding the pastures now too...THANKS!
pandorasboxx
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-22 11:50 AM (#66267 - in reply to #66052)

I would use Electro-braid btwn the fields but keep the perimeters solid fencing of some type with a strand or two of hotwire to keep them off the fence. Horses go thru electric easily if spooked or aroused and if blanketed well then they won't feel much at all. I've been to too many endurance rides catching others' loose horses in the middle of the night who ran thru hotwire.

Last year stayed overnight w/a friend. We put my mare in the electric field. Next morning, fence is down, horses are gone and a busy four lane road out in front of the farm. Long story short, animal control picked her up grazing in the median at 3 am, tractor trailers etc whizzing by. The minx hopped on willingly to go w/them. Luckily they weren't opportunists........That was the last time I've ever utilized electric alone.

Of course if barbed wire (yowza) is the only alternative then electric doesn't look so bad.

cindydj
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-08-23 1:04 AM (#66327 - in reply to #66052)

Regular

There is a fence and yes it is barb wire. They have always been in it and never got in the fence till the new girl came along. We will be replacing the fence later in the year as we decide what to do. Each side is also surrounded by cattle so some options are out, or the cows won't  stay in....the electric fence has kept them off it so far and the adjouning mare off it too which is good because she is how all this started...I hate barb wire also but it is good for the cattle and some of these Texas farmers don't like to change...I do think I have one neighbor convinced to go atleast with cable and pipe not getting to help will be another story...
Too L Ranch
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-08-29 11:42 PM (#66809 - in reply to #66052)

Regular

I have one (out of 15) who is a goofball with the barb wire. We have barb everywhere, because of the cattle. What I did, much to the husband's embarrassment, was to add two strands of hot wire and T-post caps. I used the snap on extenders to hang the lower wire and the T-post caps to hold the top one. Then, used a solar wire charger.
cindydj
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-08-30 8:37 PM (#66877 - in reply to #66052)

Regular

Thanks TooRanch my hubby hates the hot wire also! And he says the barb wire has got to stay for the cattle. He said their horses survived years with it and were okay.....the hot wire has done wonders...
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-09-04 12:37 PM (#67144 - in reply to #66052)

Expert

Just got back from a camp-out with 5000+ horses and mules.  Kept ours in a hot wire corral we built... 6' T posts, with caps on top and insulators middle and low.  Used electric tape and battery charger, so that made 3 strips of tape from about 5'6" high on down.  Never had a problem.  For reinforcing the idea of staying back off the "permanent fence" of bob-wire, you will be well served by the electric fence.  Bear in mind that in very dry conditions, you do not not need the hot wire in contact with crispy dry vegetation...  We keep what we have weed-eated or sprayed to hold down grounding out with wet vegetation, or chance of sparking to very dry vegetation......
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-09-07 1:08 AM (#67386 - in reply to #66052)

Expert

If you have barbed wire...I assume you have wood posts...if so, then use Dares 6" extended tape holders...you can nail them onto the same post just above where the barbed wire is nailed...you will have your hot wire inside the barded wire and hopefully away from your horse...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)