'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Prodigy and LED

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-07-08 2:41 PM
13 replies, 4146 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

BigT
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-07-04 3:59 PM (#63283)
Subject: Prodigy and LED

Extreme Veteran

There has been nuerous post about the Prodigy brake controller not working with LED lights. Before I spend $300 for LED lights, I want to make sure that I won't  have a problem. Has anyone had any problems?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
captclank
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-07-04 5:26 PM (#63290 - in reply to #63283)
Subject: RE: Prodigy and LED

Veteran

Mine works fine with the LEDs on my 2006 Platinum. I would like to hear of any problems also in case I need to recheck something.
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-07-04 6:21 PM (#63292 - in reply to #63283)

Elite Veteran

I had a Prodigy controller on my previous truck and it would cause the middle tail light to "pulse".   Didn't affect the functionality but pretty annoying to follow. 
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-07-04 6:30 PM (#63293 - in reply to #63292)

Expert

Originally written by headhunter on 2007-07-04 7:21 PM

I had a Prodigy controller on my previous truck and it would cause the middle tail light to "pulse".   Didn't affect the functionality but pretty annoying to follow. 

sounds like you have a wiring problem?  the prodigy "pulses" the brake wire (to check for a trailer), not the tail lights.

BigT
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-07-04 8:57 PM (#63299 - in reply to #63283)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks to everyone that replied either through this forum of by PM.  The concenus is that I will have no problem, I just wanted to make sure before I buy the LED's.

Broken Bit
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-07-04 9:43 PM (#63302 - in reply to #63283)

Veteran

I know what ya mean, headhunter.  The brake/tail light over the rear doors would "pulse".  Ours does the same thing, it's probably out there doin' it right now!  It's NOT a wireing issue.  I've talked to numerous different folks about it.  It seems that the L.E.D.'s are just so sensitive that they are picking up the "test pulse" that the Prodigy is putting out.  That, I can understand, BUT, my question then is "why are the other four brakelights not pulsing along with the one up top?"  I don't know and neither does anyone else, but everything works fine.  I had thought about cutting the "brake" wire going to it so that it is only an ID bar, and not a ID bar/brake light.  One of the great mysteries of life.  To the OP, that is the only "problem" that I've ever heard of, doesn't effect any other lights (all LED's) on our wagon.  You shouldn't have any problems....light 'er up like a Chrstmas tree!!!
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-07-05 6:28 AM (#63318 - in reply to #63302)

Expert

Originally written by Broken Bit on 2007-07-04 9:43 PMI know what ya mean, headhunter.  The brake/tail light over the rear doors would "pulse".  Ours does the same thing, it's probably out there doin' it right now!  It's NOT a wireing issue.  I've talked to numerous different folks about it.  It seems that the L.E.D.'s are just so sensitive that they are picking up the "test pulse" that the Prodigy is putting out.  That, I can understand, BUT, my question then is "why are the other four brakelights not pulsing along with the one up top?"  I don't know and neither does anyone else, but everything works fine.  I had thought about cutting the "brake" wire going to it so that it is only an ID bar, and not a ID bar/brake light.  One of the great mysteries of life.  To the OP, that is the only "problem" that I've ever heard of, doesn't effect any other lights (all LED's) on our wagon.  You shouldn't have any problems....light 'er up like a Chrstmas tree!!!
now that makes a little more sense, brake lights and tail lights are 2 different circuits.........most of the time. if you guys are talking about those light bars that use the middle light as a 3rd brake light that would make sense (otherwise power crossing over from the brake to the tail light circuit is a problem). they usually use a double led, as opposed to multiple led in the main brake lights. the podigy pulse could be (apparently is) enough to make the smaller light come on.

Edited by chadsalt 2007-07-05 6:30 AM
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-07-05 11:30 AM (#63344 - in reply to #63293)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by chadsalt on 2007-07-04 4:30 PM

[ sounds like you have a wiring problem?  the prodigy "pulses" the brake wire (to check for a trailer), not the tail lights.

It did pulse the brake light portion of the middle tail light. 

RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-07-06 8:25 AM (#63381 - in reply to #63283)

Elite Veteran

It isn't pulsing the 4 regular brake lights because they are actually brake/turn lights and are not connected to the brake line that the controller uses. It is apparent that the trailers in question have a Center High Mount Stop Light (CHMSL for short) that actually uses a pulse from the brakes for activation. If it didn't operate that way- it would come on with the turn signal it was connected to. If you look at your wiring plug diagrams, you'll see there is no "brake light" wire, just turn signals. Same lights.
RTSmith

Edited by RTSmith 2007-07-06 5:15 PM
Broken Bit
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-07-06 12:23 PM (#63391 - in reply to #63283)

Veteran

BINGO, that makes perfect sense!  Don't know why I didn't think of that a long time ago.  It's not a differance in L.E.D.'s, or even L.E.D. VS. standard bulb, but a differance in where the light is getting its power from. (electric brake activation wire VS. brake lmp./turn signal circuit)  Well that mystery is solved, on to the next one, what can we do about these hay prices? hmmmm.........
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-07-06 5:18 PM (#63404 - in reply to #63381)

Expert

Originally written by RTSmith on 2007-07-06 9:25 AM

It isn't pulsing the 4 regular brake lights because they are actually brake/turn lights and are not connected to the brake line that the controller uses. It is apparent that the trailers in question have a Center High Mount Stop Light (CHMSL for short) that actually uses a pulse from the brakes for activation. If it didn't operate that way- it would come on with the turn signal it was connected to. If you look at your wiring plug diagrams, you'll see there is no "brake light" wire, just turn signals. Same lights. H1

well if that is the case, then it is a wiring problem.  if the id bar/brake light combo is supposed to be a brake light too, it should be hooked to the brake (or as mentioned, L and R signal) light circuit, NOT to the electric brake circuit???????????  this actually makes more sense than the current leak/crossover theory ive been thinking about for a few days.

Edited by chadsalt 2007-07-06 5:20 PM
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-07-07 8:26 AM (#63419 - in reply to #63283)

Elite Veteran

Chad, If you hook to one of the other two circuits, then it would flash with the turn signals also- not good. There is a "logic box" type of converter that trailer folks use for vehicles where the turn & brake lights are separate (before the new GM trucks, the old rule was if it had yellow turn signals, you'd need the converter. It had inputs for legt turn, right turn, marker lights, ground, and brake lights. It then had outputs for LT & RT on the trailer) . I'm sure that it would be possible to reverse engineer one to run a brake lasmp only.. Of all the trailer brands we carry and have serviced, I've not yet seen one of these with LED CHMSL. But I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't run just off of the brake circuit. The LED shouldn't pull enough amperage to have an effect on braking effectiveness & it would be a neat feature. Except when you have a Prodigy...! But you know- the Prodigy automatically shuts off after a few minutes of inactivity. So I presume this flashing quits then also.??
RTSmith
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-07-07 3:16 PM (#63430 - in reply to #63419)

Expert

Originally written by RTSmith on 2007-07-07 9:26 AM

Chad, If you hook to one of the other two circuits, then it would flash with the turn signals also- not good. There is a "logic box" type of converter that trailer folks use for vehicles where the turn & brake lights are separate (before the new GM trucks, the old rule was if it had yellow turn signals, you'd need the converter. It had inputs for legt turn, right turn, marker lights, ground, and brake lights. It then had outputs for LT & RT on the trailer) . I'm sure that it would be possible to reverse engineer one to run a brake lasmp only.. Of all the trailer brands we carry and have serviced, I've not yet seen one of these with LED CHMSL. But I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't run just off of the brake circuit. The LED shouldn't pull enough amperage to have an effect on braking effectiveness & it would be a neat feature. Except when you have a Prodigy...! But you know- the Prodigy automatically shuts off after a few minutes of inactivity. So I presume this flashing quits then also.?? RTSmith

the brake light/id bar combo i was looking at (couldnt decide between it or the one w/spotlights.....so i havent changed) had a typical flat 4 wire, green, yellow, brown, and white???????   maybe it didnt flash, or maybe it flashed one side like a turn signal........how about one of you guys checking that?  im familiar with the "logic box" you refered to, put one on a guys toyota tacoma on friday.   i guess im just going to have to buy one of these id light things and conduct some tests, assuming my P3 pulses like the prodigy did.  wheres my trailer emulator? that i can check right now.  either way im still holding to the fact that if ANY brake light is connected to the electric brake circuit it has been wired wrong.

Edited by chadsalt 2007-07-07 3:17 PM
Broken Bit
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-07-08 2:41 PM (#63462 - in reply to #63283)

Veteran

RTSmith, yes the prodigy does "shut off" after a few minutes of inactivity, but the pulsing DOES NOT.  It will continue to pulse that center mount brake light just as long as the wagon is pluged into the T.V., minutes, hours, or days!  One of these days when I get a little bit of time, I will pull the light off the trailer to snoop around and see how it's wired in.  Talk to y'all later...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)