'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
New to Trailering - Wiring Issue

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-07-01 10:34 PM
6 replies, 3172 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Dadje
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-06-30 3:21 PM (#63140)
Subject: New to Trailering - Wiring Issue

Hi there,

I just bought a 1989 Chevy Silverado c3500 Dually and a 1981 Miley 2 horse, straight load bumper pull trailer. The truck had a brake controller installed because the seller used to pull a 5th wheel travel trailer.

I had a trailer shop near where I purchased the trailer upgrade the tail lights to LED's and repack the wheel bearings. I actually bought the truck after the trailer, and when I went to pick up the trailer, the trailer brake lights and the indicators worked when hooked up to the truck, but the trailer running lights only worked with the shop tester and the Tekonsha Voyager brake controller did not light up at all. All lights work fine on the truck.

The shop said the problem "must be with the truck" and, since they only work on trailers, they sent me on my way.

I made it home just fine, but I obviously need to get everything working properly.

My question is, where should I start? Do I have to bring the truck and trailer somewhere together? Do I look for an auto repair shop or an RV shop? Is there something easy I should try first?

I'm fairly handy, but completely new to trucks and trailers. I've seen tester devices (such as a "trailer simulator") and wondered if I should invest in some kind of tester before hauling the trailer off somewhere. I'm a little leary of trying to find a trustworthy service shop. (Bay Area, California)

Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rik
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-06-30 9:16 PM (#63147 - in reply to #63140)
Subject: RE: New to Trailering - Wiring Issue

Regular

What type (number of pins) are the connectors on the truck and trailer?
lostinohio
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-07-01 6:25 PM (#63162 - in reply to #63140)

Hi and welcome to the forum. Not knowing # of pins in your connector(5,6 or 7-the seven pins can have two diagrams-RV and commercial, you should be using RV) I would go Google a search on "trailer connectors wiring diagrams" and find your matching setup. Purchase a 12volt tester at auto store, simple(cheap) bulb one will suffice. Go ahead and double check your truck's connector for voltage at correct pins(make extra effort to make sure your ground pin is working-if not can cause problems as you suggest) If OK,go ahead and check trailer's connectors(using a 12volt source-aka car battery) mimic those pins that the truck would supply voltage to and check for lights working(again if you get a light to work using + and - thru pins, repeat but touch the - feed to trailer frame to make sure grounding on trailer is good. If bearings on trailer were repacked, possible accidental touching(damage) to wires(brakes and lights) could have occured. I have heard(VW-forum) that their brake controller(a tekonsha model) would not light up(recognize trailer) after led lights were installed due to lower resistance that they use over stock bulbs. I would suspect a bad ground issue in either the truck/trailer connector or the trailer itself.Another suggestion, would be unplug led lights(if possible) and attach regular bulbs(1157-?) for resistance and see if problem persists. Sorry to be longwinded-good luck.
Dadje
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-07-01 7:05 PM (#63165 - in reply to #63147)

Hi, I just double-checked, and both truck and trailer have 6-pin connectors. I'm going to try to trouble-shoot per suggestions. 
Dadje
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-07-01 7:08 PM (#63166 - in reply to #63162)

Thank you for taking the time to help with this. This forum is great! I'll keep you posted...
Rik
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-07-01 9:43 PM (#63170 - in reply to #63140)

Regular

Here is a diagram of a typical 6-pin. YMMV.
Dadje
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-07-01 10:34 PM (#63175 - in reply to #63170)

Fantastic! Thanks so much!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World