'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
which brand of hitch to choose? is there really a difference?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-06-27 9:12 AM
10 replies, 3117 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

marta
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-06-26 8:37 AM (#62862)
Subject: which brand of hitch to choose? is there really a difference?

i need to get a hitch for my 'new/used' f250 heavy duty. when i had a hitch installed last time around i relied on advice of the mechanic but i've learned my lesson;) so my question is, is there a difference from brand to brand? is there a reason why i should pay $100 or more for a drawtite instead of getting a cheaper valley? thoughts?
thanks!

marta44
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
quarterhorseboy
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-06-26 10:11 AM (#62866 - in reply to #62862)
Subject: RE: which brand of hitch to choose? is there really a difference?

I alway go with"you get what you pay for". It's a hitch you will probably have it for a long time. Spend the extra money and feel safer with what you are towing. If they were the same they would be priced the same.
marta
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-06-26 10:14 AM (#62867 - in reply to #62862)

thanks for your input!
i just want to understand why the more expensive is better.
you know it's like w/ those generic meds, they're half the price but they're the same thing. so why is it different w/ hitches? what am i paying for? different steel composition? what?
dmgrinnell
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-06-26 10:30 AM (#62869 - in reply to #62862)

We have a Reese Brand for our bumper bull and a Curtis for our gooseneck.  We are very happy with both.  I would worry buying an in-expensive one, they are the only thing holding that trailer up and it's expensive cargo!  Good luck.   
main737
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-06-26 7:02 PM (#62902 - in reply to #62862)

If you are looking for a gooseneck hitch, then I would recomend the B&W Turnover. It is a little more expensive than the others, but well worth the money. It is very easy to install as well. Not sure of the web site, but do a google search for "B&W Tunrover Ball" and it should pull right up.

As far as a bumper pull goes I cant help you out much, I dont own any bumper pull trailers and hope to never own any!!

Good luck with your search.

jerky1280
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-06-27 7:06 AM (#62921 - in reply to #62862)

While I'd stick with a name-brand, I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Have you ever heard of a hitch failing?  I haven't.  If you're really looking for something heavy-duty, the Reese Titan hitch has the highest loan capacity I've seen (12k/14k).  It's the only 2.5" receiver on the market that I know of.

Otherwise, go with a gooseneck.  After pulling with a gooseneck for the past few years, you'd have to pull some of my teeth to get me to go back to bumperpulls.

marta
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-06-27 7:46 AM (#62923 - in reply to #62862)

well, since i have a bumperpull trailer, 5th wheel is really not an option;)

you're right, i've never heard of a hitch failing.
on another forum (COTH) someone posted that their hitch (valley) came loose after less than a year. he retightened everything and now checks it on regular basis. i'm guessing that the bolts coming loose had nothing to do with the brand but rather with the installation (or maybe the truck is prone to unusual vibration?). i never looked at the hitch mounts on my old truck since the day i got it. i promise that i will crawl under there before the next haul...

well, i'm going to compare the shipping charges again and then decide but sounds to me like there is really not that much difference in the quality that warrants an extra $100.

jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2007-06-27 8:26 AM (#62927 - in reply to #62862)

Extreme Veteran

I think there may be a difference!... If not in the reliability of the hitch itself, possibly in the way the manufacturer backs his product. I had a Valley gooseneck hitch installed in my truck and within 2 years, the cable that locks the ball in place froze up. The handle that you use to pull the cable was located in the bed of the truck (per manufacturer installation recommendation). Apparently the water/snow that accumulates in the bed was able to leak into the cable housing and the cable rusted up. We were able to free it with a lot of DW40, oil and elbow grease, but this spring when I went to hitch up it was frozen solid again - this time no amount of work would free it. I took it back to my installer. They were able to order a new cable from Valley, but the manufacturer said they had no fault in this. They no longer make this style hitch, but (gee whiz) they never had any complaints!!... I ended up paying the $67.00 for the cable and shipping and handling and my installer did the work for free. He was able to make a change to where the handle is repositioned so that there should be no leakage into the housing. Great service from Performance Trailers in Flanders, NJ... poor response (IMO) from Valley.

ps: Performance Trailers does not routinely carry horse trailers, but they deal with many manufacturers and distributors and can order and service many different brands. They also do custom work and can retrofit your electric, tack room, etc. They also do welding. They are nice to deal with and do very good work. Call Glenn or Al or pm me if you need additional info.
marta
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-06-27 8:31 AM (#62931 - in reply to #62927)

thanks jakey1!
i have a great trailer/hitch guy in old bridge that does maintenance on my trailer and hitch if i need. but this time my SO is going to install the hitch for me.
that's a good point you make about manufacturer standing by its product... i went to the draw tite website and that company has been around since the 40's. they must be doing something right.
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2007-06-27 8:34 AM (#62933 - in reply to #62862)

Extreme Veteran

Here's another I had that could have been tragic.  I was heading west on I-80 leaving the highway at the Columbia truck stop to meet some friends so we could caravan to a horse show upstate NY.  As I made the turn onto the ramp, I heard a big clunk!.  In the rearview mirror, my trailer looked like it jumped the ball (bumper hitch).  In reality, the bolts on the hitch installed under the frame of the truck had rusted and sheared off.  The hitch came apart and the tongue of the trailer still attached to the ball was dragging on the ground.  I was able to limp off to the side of the road, and thanks to my friends we got things squared away.  I needed to borrow a truck for the week in order to get to the show. 

Moral of this story?  Never assume everything is okay.  Climb underneath every so often and make sure that the hitch is in good condition.  I believe this was a Reese hitch.  We have used them for years to tow our horse and boat trailers and we never had a problem before.  Maintenance is important.

marta
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-06-27 9:12 AM (#62937 - in reply to #62933)

so this is a real issue.
i'm definitely checking that hitch from now on and telling all my friends to do the same.

scary stuff!

couple months ago i hauled form MD to NJ and when i parked the trailer i realized that i never put the pin through so that receiver was just sitting on top of the ball!!!! that taught me a lesson to triple check everything, especially when i'm tired at the end of the ride. we definitely had a guardian angel looking out for us that day.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)