'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Please tell me about Kentucky Land 'tween the Lakes...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-06-16 6:29 PM
13 replies, 4799 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2007-06-11 9:38 AM (#62133)
Subject: Please tell me about Kentucky Land 'tween the Lakes...

Elite Veteran

Has anyone ridden/camped at Land between the Lakes in Kentucky??Here in SW Mo we are about to wash away.. so riding becomes shoe-sucking/swimming and the LQ looks like hurricane Katrina paid a visit...I'm takin off for somewhere next week and not sure where to go to have a great time.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-06-11 12:04 PM (#62139 - in reply to #62133)
Subject: RE: Please tell me about Kentucky Land 'tween the Lakes...

Elite Veteran

Camped at LBL for about 3 days back in 6/01. The riding was quite good, trails well marked, good map, and found a great trail that led to Lake Barley and we took the horses in swimming. Found another spot where there had been an old mine and we could cross the water there and have fun splashing around.
The campground however left something to be desired, though changes may have been made. The stalls are really just standing stalls and no one bothered to remove the manure. My friend and I took 4 heaping wheelbarrows full of manure and urine soaked sand before we could add shavings and put our guys in it. Due to all the manure, the black flies were horrible! We noticed the stalls around our horses were full of manure as well and after 1 day, we set up a high line by the cabin and put them there in the shade. The flies weren't as bad. We also contacted the manager and got him after much urging to empty the maure bin which was overflowing. It was impossible to sit outside as the flies would swarm around you. We couldn't cook outside, eat outside, read, etc pretty sad.
We left after 3 days (had planned to stay 5) and headed north to Bear Branch in the Shawnee Nat Forest. When we unloaded the horses and brought them into the nice airy bug free dry barn, I swear the horses breathed a sigh of relief! I know we did.
It was disappointing as we had driven up from South Fla and it was along drive to have such poor conditions. I have no idea if its still the same way. Hopefully more people will respond that have been there more recently.
bcranch
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2007-06-11 2:01 PM (#62142 - in reply to #62133)

We went last year and it's just about the same.  Trails great but campground needs improvement and forget about using the stalls, highline is the only way to go.  Just came back from Bar Fiffty in Arkansas and both trails and campground are better then LBL.  It's near Hot Springs. 

randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-06-11 4:53 PM (#62148 - in reply to #62142)

Extreme Veteran

Can you tell me more about Bar Fifty? I was thinking of doing a trip there in the near future. What are the trails like? Thanks! Tammy
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2007-06-11 6:46 PM (#62152 - in reply to #62133)

Bar 50 is near us. We day ride there all the time and camp a few times a year. LOVE IT! The campsites are mostly level with elec/water hookups and they also have cabins and a bunkhouse. There is a rodeo arena and a covered arena, roundpen, cookshack, stage, petting zoo, several bathhouses, resturant andwashrack. Trails are hilly with lots of places to get water along the trails. There are pretty scenic views, an artesian spring and a waterfall you ride to. Tom & Pat Seay were there in Apr filming a segment for Best of America by Horseback. If the weather turns bad, you can be in Hot Springs in 20 mins. They have  a top racetrack complete with slots & simlicast, lots of spas, dinner cruises on the lakes, good shopping and good eating!
kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-06-11 10:46 PM (#62168 - in reply to #62133)

Veteran

we go to lbl about 6 or 7 times a year.. the stalls are not being cleaned like they should... they charge a little less for the stalls 6.00 i wish they would charge the 10.00 and keep them cleaned and ready to go... it is rough to drive 4 or 5 hours and unload and have to clean stalls for a hour or so.... happy trails
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-06-12 10:25 AM (#62182 - in reply to #62133)

Extreme Veteran

CalamityJ  -  instead of LBL, maybe you could try Willow Creek Campground.  It is near LBL and the stalls are in better shape.   Ask for the sites across the creek from the barn...they are our favorites.  There is also a little restaurant at the camp that serves a small buffet on the weekends.  During the week, you have to cook for yourself.  If you go, get directions from the folks at the camp.  MapQuest will take you on roads that are not suitable for trailers!

You might also consider the Shawnee Forest in So. Illinois.  It wouldn't be that much farther to drive and there are lots of good camps with excellent riding out of any of them.

RIDE ON! 

JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-06-13 8:27 AM (#62238 - in reply to #62133)

Extreme Veteran

I agree with Dwight, Willow Creek is the place to go.  We had three campsites for five trailers and could have added three more comfortably.  The stalls are a nice size and were clean when we arrived.

The staff was very friendly and helpful and the meals that were served in the restaurant were reasonably priced and tasty as well.  Check them out online at: http://www.willowcreekcampground.com/

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2007-06-13 9:22 AM (#62245 - in reply to #62133)

Elite Veteran

Thank you all for your input on LBL.We went to Shawnee Nat'l last year and the campground managers were up our tailpipe and all the rules and regs and detours because of PETA (people eating tasty animals), it became a chore to get around...If the campgrounds are nasty and I have to pay to travel 7-8 hours to put in a half days work to stall my horses??? I CAN LET MY STALLS GO AT HOME AND LET MY HORSES SWIM IN KAKA. We enjoy some pretty challenging trails and great camping where we cook real food over fire and sit around to chill after a long day in the saddle.
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-06-13 11:53 AM (#62254 - in reply to #62133)

Extreme Veteran

Hey, Calamity, we go to Shawnee all the time. We like to stay at Hayes Canyon Camp. No hassles and CLEAN. We didn't care for LBL as the trails are mostly for driving - lots of teams there. They're fun to watch. But, if you like nice wooded trails, it's hard to beat Shawnee. There's a new ranger in charge and they've been busy fixing and marking the trails.
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-06-13 7:59 PM (#62273 - in reply to #62254)

Extreme Veteran

I like LBL and have been riding there for 24 yrs when I started they only had two old barns and one of them is still in use and they had no facilities. They have come a long way I usually just picket line my horses it is probably the cheapest place to go and I like the little restaurant for breakfast. Everyone is supposed to clean their stalls but when they are ready to leave they usually leave them dirty because they had to clean them before they put their horses in them
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-06-15 10:27 AM (#62331 - in reply to #62133)

Extreme Veteran

We have a long term site up there and in the past there was issues of manure piling up around the end of the barns.  However, when you looked at the individual that ran the grounds crew, you did not have to wonder why.  Since then, they have a lady in charge and she keeps the place clean.  We used to have to deal with the stall issue.  It was a toss of the coin depending on the stall.  However, they do let you swap stalls if you want to.  So, if you get one that is a mess, go back and change it to one that is clean.  I have heard that Willow Creek will be shutting down soon, so that might not be an option in the future.  We are up there all the time and this year has seen some improvements by far. 
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-06-15 3:16 PM (#62341 - in reply to #62133)

Haven't been to Bar 50 yet, but Lonesome D is also in the vicinty of Hot Springs and it was wonderful...we were there in April, they have pipe pens at each campsite.  The riding was wonderful, woods trails, some pretty steep stuff but good footing.

Edited by rose 2007-06-15 3:20 PM
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-06-16 6:29 PM (#62368 - in reply to #62133)

Extreme Veteran

robdnorm - when we visited Willow Creek last fall and again this spring we asked if they were closing or changing hands and the people told us there was no truth to those rumors.

CalamityJ - The riding at WC is much better than LBL if you like a little challenge.  As stated above, the trails at LBL have been cleared for wagons.  They are great for beginners and young children.  But if you like a more challenging ride, I'd choose WC.  (JMO)

RIDE ON! 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)