'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer Construction

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-05-29 10:22 AM
4 replies, 2975 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

AC1
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-05-26 9:05 AM (#61278)
Subject: Trailer Construction

I'm buying a Lining Quarter with single wall construction, because I was trying to keep the weight down for hauling here in the Sierras. The question is, "will it hold up?" Never thought about this till seeing other companies ads about triple wall construction. Like putting the cart in front of the horse, but any information and experience will be helpful on how I treat this thing when and after I pick it up.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-05-26 9:27 AM (#61279 - in reply to #61278)
Subject: RE: Trailer Construction

Expert

Originally written by AC1 on 2007-05-26 9:05 AM

I'm buying a Lining Quarter with single wall construction, because I was trying to keep the weight down for hauling here in the Sierras. The question is, "will it hold up?" Never thought about this till seeing other companies ads about triple wall construction. Like putting the cart in front of the horse, but any information and experience will be helpful on how I treat this thing when and after I pick it up.

Double, triple, quadruple wall construction...
I suspect that I wouldn't do anything differently, however many layers/plys are in the walls.
In the unlikely event of an accident your horses MIGHT have a better chance with more layers of metal, but driving as if the whole trailer is eggshell fragile is usually a good idea anyway.
{Slightly overstated (-: }

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-05-26 10:21 AM (#61281 - in reply to #61279)

Expert

I agree.Lots of people don't drive them this way.I see plenty hauling ---- like they are pulling 18 wheelers w/empty trailers in back.75-80mph,you know.

AC1
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-05-26 9:53 PM (#61287 - in reply to #61278)

Thanks for the advice and insights everyone. I usually drive with the horses as though I was back there in the trailer. I stay with the speed limit on good roads and less when they turn rough or windy. My driveway seems like a superhighway compared to allot of the mountain roads. That is why I was wondering about wall construction. There's one road here that the speed limit is 5 MPH. As we were pulling our older trailer, I looked over at the wife and just said "no way I'm going that fast." Thanks again.
GungKay
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-05-29 10:22 AM (#61391 - in reply to #61278)

you might not be thinking of another reason for the multi wall contruction and that's to absorb some of the shock when our horses kick. For the safety of the horse as well as the walls. I agree that you'll have a lighter easier pulling trailer but it may cost you a bunch down the road in repairs or lost $$ in resale due to damage. I also am on the side of driving logically as you do to avoid road mishaps.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)