'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Suggestions for fixing running lights

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-05-10 7:04 AM
6 replies, 3597 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-05-08 9:56 AM (#60558)
Subject: Suggestions for fixing running lights

Elite Veteran

I have a BP trailer that I am selling and have 3 running lights that I am trying to repair.  I took the caps off and replaced bulbs and have found that a couple of them just don't want to work.  I sprayed WD 40, cleaned out the area, etc but have 3 that won't light up. 

Short of replacing the whole fixture - does anyone have suggestions? They want to pick the trailer up tonight, but I will delay it until these are working.  All the other lights (7 ) are working.  The trailer is 10 years old.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-05-08 10:13 AM (#60560 - in reply to #60558)
Subject: RE: Suggestions for fixing running lights

Extreme Veteran

A lot of the cheaper/older lights have poor electrical connections in them. Some have the type where two pieces of metal conductor have a hole in them and are held together by a nubbin on the plastic fixture. That is a problem area. For those, you could try soldering the two pieces together or putting a small screw through the hole.

Another problem area is the ground. If the light is grounded through one of the mounting bolts/screws, make sure it is getting a good ground. If not, maybe you will have to run a wire to another area where the ground is better.

A lot of trailers were wired poorly at the factory. The quick connectors they used may not be good anymore.

Hook up the trailer to the truck and hunt around with a multimeter. You will find the problem somewhere. Maybe you will have to pull a new wire, using the old wire to pull the new wire through.
halfpint23
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-05-09 2:45 PM (#60618 - in reply to #60558)

Veteran

For the amount of time it takes to cobble together a fix - it's worth it to me to spend the six bucks or so per light and just stick new ones on there! Old cheesy running lights are a pain - EVERY trailer we've ever bought got the light treatment first - I am real fond of the weatherproof sealed units they have now for both running and tail/turn/backup lighting, and being lit up is a good thing!Of course, if you are selling, I understand not wanting to put a pile of money into it - but having great lights is a real selling point, or has been in the ones we have sold over the years.JMHO,
Roland Hinkle
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2007-05-09 7:27 PM (#60632 - in reply to #60558)

I've found corrosion around the pop rivets used to mount lights can cause this too. Try rapping them with a punch (or whatever) and light hammer. If you find one brings things back to life, drill it out and replace it.

Good luck!
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-05-09 10:20 PM (#60639 - in reply to #60558)

Expert

some auto parts store carry running lights fixtures you could try there
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-05-09 10:38 PM (#60641 - in reply to #60558)

Expert

You can pick up your lights from here...

http://www.etrailer.com/trailer-parts.aspx

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-05-10 7:04 AM (#60646 - in reply to #60558)

Elite Veteran

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions - something to print out and keep if I run into a problem again.

It actually was a quick easy fix.  It wasn't a cheap trailer, but a rather well made one that had 10 running lights and 3 LED's on the back.  I had popped off all the covers and cleaned inside, couldn't get #193 bulbs, but got #194's which did work. (168 didn't work, nor the colored #194's) I lightly sanded the metal contacts inside the rubber piece, then pushed in the new bulbs.  I found if I held the bulbs in tightly for a few seconds, they came on & just had to pop the cover back on and they stayed on.

They picked up and paid for the trailer with everything working correctly.  I looked at my '03 LQ Aluminum and it has about 5 LED lights across the front, but only 2 running lights on the sides.  My BP had 2 in the front, 3 on each side and 5 in the back...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)