'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Aftermarket brakes/rotors for my Dually - help with safety? Brand? Cost?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-05-09 9:20 AM
8 replies, 3292 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

OAKRUNFARM
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-05-04 6:58 AM (#60390)
Subject: Aftermarket brakes/rotors for my Dually - help with safety? Brand? Cost?

Hi there,

I posted earlier about trying to beef up my 1T F350 Dually in order to more safely pull the larger LQ we just bought.

I will be putting the Timbrens on it next week, and would like comments/recommendations on putting new, heavier aftermarket brakes on the truck.

When I asked someone at a local brake place about doing it, he said it would cost about $1,200 for all four by the time I did everything that needs to be done. Does that cost seem OK?

When I asked him the benefits of doing it, it seemed it was more along the lines of keeping them from overheating as opposed to actually reducing the stopping distance or stopping more safely. Is that the case?

We rarely haul in mountainous terrain, but I wanted to try and make the whole rig safer, so I'm not sure if this is an investment that do what I am looking for it to - slow/stop as safely as possible.

Could you give me your experience with the aftermarket brakes? Do you feel it helps reduce stopping distance when loaded or helps with stability in emergency stopping, or does it just seem to keep the brakes cooler when hauling down grades?

Any input/comments would be most helpful. Thanks in advance. :)

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-05-04 8:21 AM (#60393 - in reply to #60390)
Subject: RE: Aftermarket brakes/rotors for my Dually - help with safety? Brand? Cost?

Expert

Originally written by OAKRUNFARM on 2007-05-04 6:58 AM

When I asked him the benefits of doing it, it seemed it was more along the lines of keeping them from overheating as opposed to actually reducing the stopping distance or stopping more safely. Is that the case?

yes it is, larger brakes usually are misunderstood. larger brakes rarely shorten stopping distances. they do help with fade during repeated full power stops, i.e. racing. if a driver is getting fade coming down a mountain, they need to learn how to drive. i doubt they are necessary in your situation.
Covert Cowboy
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-05-04 8:44 AM (#60396 - in reply to #60390)
Subject: RE: Aftermarket brakes/rotors for my Dually - help with safety? Brand? Cost?

Regular

If you want the best braking performance you can get on a truck go with the Cryoslot Power Slot rotors and Hawk LTS brake pads. The slotted rotors with dissipate heat much better than traditional rotors. This setup is not cheap but it is the best set up currently out there.
RoperChick
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-05-04 1:04 PM (#60406 - in reply to #60396)

Veteran

The aftermarket rotors made a huge difference with our dually, we feel it was money well spent.  We had overheating problems with the stock rotors and have never had hot brakes with the aftermarket rotors. 

If they are quality rotors, $1,200 sounds like a good price. We spent about $1,500 three years ago on four aftermarket rotors.  I can't remember the brand of rotors they put on our truck, but I've heard great things about the powerslots.

BTW, because hot warped rotors don't stop very well, the truck does stop quicker now with the new rotors. 

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-05-06 5:30 PM (#60474 - in reply to #60390)

Expert

Right.
What he (Chadsalt) said.
Also; Set your brake controller so that the trailer's brakes do their fair share.
And/or upgrade to a truck that HAS enough brakes as factory OEM equipment.
Dunno why, but it seems that most people asking this question, or touting their "upgrades", had fade problems with F***s.
Mayhap their tow ratings are too optimistic ?

OAKRUNFARM
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-05-07 9:12 AM (#60507 - in reply to #60390)

Thank you all. I think I will haul a couple of times and see how it goes. We've got an hourlong trip to a show this weekend that is an easy pull, so that should be a good trial run.

We haul mostly on pretty flat terrain, and I think the suggestion of adjustment of the brake controller to add power from the trailer brakes is a good one.

We're pretty careful drivers and allow plenty of stopping distance. I realize you can never know what others are going to do.

Thanks for the ideas/input.
RoperChick
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-05-07 12:42 PM (#60511 - in reply to #60390)

Veteran

Here's a thread where this issue was recently discussed. 

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=6952&posts=42

Auto Manufacturers do not always put adequate rotors on their vehicles.  See Mr. Truck's post for more information on the subject.  Several very good diesel mechanics have also confirmed what Mr. Truck was saying.

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2007-05-08 10:59 PM (#60591 - in reply to #60390)

Elite Veteran

On My 06 F350, I tow a Trailswest 3 horse with lq and slide,whole thing around 23,500 inc truck,water,feed,whole 9 yards.The new transmission holds speed down great on downhill and shifts smooth on uphill.I have had no problems with overheating brakes,or tran.Quess it depends on year,driver,and trailer brake adjustment.Well if ya need it..i guess but.... maybe. Good luck.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-05-09 9:20 AM (#60604 - in reply to #60507)

Expert

Originally written by OAKRUNFARM on 2007-05-07 9:12 AM

Thank you all. I think I will haul a couple of times and see how it goes. We've got an hourlong trip to a show this weekend that is an easy pull, so that should be a good trial run.

We haul mostly on pretty flat terrain, and I think the suggestion of adjustment of the brake controller to add power from the trailer brakes is a good one.

We're pretty careful drivers and allow plenty of stopping distance. I realize you can never know what others are going to do.

Thanks for the ideas/input.

There is the expected and the unexpected.
You can drive for the expected, you can widen your margins for the unexpected, but by definition it IS unexpected.
I try to drive by the "Be able to stop within half the distance you can see to be clear" rule - though I don't remember where I picked it up or when.

If/when "others" do something unexpected there really SHOULD be adequate margins in the factory OEM equipment for at least one full on 100% stop from high speed, fully loaded, down a steep grade, etc. without brake fade.
If you've already spent some of that margin (e.g. by not knowing how to drive properly in mountainous areas) you will probably learn to spend whatever extra margin you buy at the Gee Whizz Speed Shop.

Racers sometimes ask each other; "How many corners of the envelope are you willing to push at the same time ?" The answer is usually "All plus one."

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)