'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
New to this....AC/heat won't work...help please!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-05-24 7:09 AM
9 replies, 5333 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

horsemom3
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-04-23 10:26 AM (#59791)
Subject: New to this....AC/heat won't work...help please!

We have had our new Cimarron trailer about 2 months and we are about 2 1/2 hours from the dealer. The ac/heat will not turn on. (Carrier brand) I would like to fix it without driving all the way back to the dealer!  I have checked the fuse box and everything is ok there. Is there something I am not doing or something I should check? It worked when we got it. Any suggestions??!!  Thanks!!!!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-23 10:54 AM (#59793 - in reply to #59791)
Subject: RE: New to this....AC/heat won't work...help please!

Expert

Do all of your other appliances work?

if yes, then ...

Switch the a/c circuit breaker to off then "on"

if yes, then ...

Is the a/c thermostat set low enough to have the unit start?

if yes, then ... call someone for more info.

Ardly
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-04-23 11:28 PM (#59831 - in reply to #59791)

Veteran

horsemom3
Something else to consider is the supply power that you have it on and how many appliances your trying to start up when you plug the trailer into the electric outlet. You might try making sure that there aren't any other appliances running in the trailer or on the same circuit that your plugged into.Air conditioners require alot of power especially at the startup when the compressor is just starting up. Also,you should be sure that you have a sufficient size supply cord and aren't using any extension cords not rated to carry the required load.                           hth,  Ardly

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-04-23 11:44 PM (#59832 - in reply to #59831)

Expert

Yes,we made that mistake with our first LQ trailer.It was too far from the outlet,and the power cord wasn't rated enough for the load.So it kept cutting it off.It is hard on the A/C.We just didn't know any better.We had a dedicated outlet put on an outside existing pole that had a yard light and we still have to use an extra cord,but there is plenty of power to carry and not as far away as before.Sounds like a couple of DumbA--es I know,but,we weren't electricians and the dumba--es that sold us the trailer didnt' explain much either.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-04-24 6:04 AM (#59834 - in reply to #59791)

Expert

The dealer is one of many people who could check this for you. I understand the dealer probably won't charge for a warranty call vs a local electrian who probably will charge you.  But maybe a neighbor or somebodt that has some electrical backgrounds can help you.

The simple test is to make sure yoyu have power in the trailer, that the breaker is on, that the switch in the A/C unit is on and that the thermostat is calling for cooling or heat.  Beyond these simple proceedures, you will have to test for defective breaker, switch or wiring which are best done by somebody with an understanding of electricity.

Test the trailer and make sure you have Electrial current.  You can buy a eletrical outlet tester at Home Depot, Lowers etc for $5. Plug it into the outlet and see if the trailer has 110-120 watt current. But test something that doesn't run off the battery. It will test a standard outlet and tell you if you have power and if the grounding and polarity are correct.

When I got my trailer, I had a ground wire that was touching one of my neutrals on the back of the panel. Everything worked except the A/C which would trip my GFI breaker when ever I tried to turn it on. Once I re-bent the wire to remove the improper ground, everything worked fine.

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-04-24 4:32 PM (#59870 - in reply to #59791)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by horsemom3 on 2007-04-23 10:26 AM

We have had our new Cimarron trailer about 2 months and we are about 2 1/2 hours from the dealer. The ac/heat will not turn on. (Carrier brand) I would like to fix it without driving all the way back to the dealer!  I have checked the fuse box and everything is ok there. Is there something I am not doing or something I should check? It worked when we got it. Any suggestions??!!  Thanks!!!!

You can take it to All Star RV over on 15th street in Plano, near Jupiter. That is where I've been taking my LQ for minor repairs to avoid the long drive to the dealer. I'm real close to you, send me p-email, I'd be happy to come rattle knobs to see if I can get it to work.

-Betty

kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-04-25 5:28 AM (#59911 - in reply to #59791)

Veteran

hello i have a cimmeron norstar with trail boss interior and my ac unit is doing the same thing and it also is hard to get turned off..i called trailboss and they think it is the wiring.. the reason is they already sent me a new therostat and this one is doing the same thing the old one did.. anyway i am taking it to the dealer next wk and that is on the things to do list for them... my therostat is a rv comfort hp.. (digital) i am not crazy at all with that therostat but as long as its in warrenty and they get it fixed i will keep using it.. good luck hope this helps...if your trailer had a lq package put in it i would call them they are the ones that put the therostats in so they know alot about them...
indian joe
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2007-05-21 5:24 PM (#61093 - in reply to #59791)

I'm having the same problem , heater works fine but AC doesnt come on does the AC need to be recharged with freon? ohh yeah it's a Duo-therm by domestic ac with heat strip.
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-05-23 4:42 PM (#61188 - in reply to #59791)

Extreme Veteran

I have an '04 Cimarron, and the A/C starting flaking out, then went out. I took it the RV place and they replaced the fan motor, and all is well. They said if I ever have to replace the unit in total, do not get a duraform.

-Betty

kid lena
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-05-24 7:09 AM (#61215 - in reply to #59791)

check to see if you have a little green flashing led on the unit if this is happening you will need to turn off all power to the unit 120v AC and 12 v DC, it is very important that you turn off both of these at the same time to reset the unit. This is a safety feature on these units that prevent you from running these units at low voltage that will ruin your compressor and fan motors. Once you have cut off all power wait a few seconds then turn power back on and your unit should come on and work normally. I found this out when I let my generator run out of gas and the unit locked itself out. By the way it doesn't tell you this in the owners manual. Cost me a couple days charges in a motel until I could get in touch with the factory tech. Hope this helps out.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)