'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Whats your favorite mod to your truck/rig?

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-05-11 7:36 PM
42 replies, 9677 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-21 6:56 AM (#59722 - in reply to #59666)
Subject: RE: Whats your favorite mod to your truck/rig?

Expert

Originally written by PaulChristenson on 2007-04-20 12:25 AM

Originally written by Reg on 2007-04-19 8:19 AM

Very similar to what I have, from Lucky's in Royalton VT - your neck o' th' woods ? re chips: I don't think the hossies like dragstrip starts, any more than nosedive braking. OTOH if you want/need to impress teens on Main ST - and are willing to spend several hundred dollars to do it... well, your wallet, your tires, your ticket for exhibition driving.

I'm more Northwest...but they are just a trip down I89...and an excellent outfit...

The other thing to consider when changing chips is EXHAUST TEMPERATURES...most people who change their chips are also changing exhaust systems, et cetera...

I didn't have a chance to drop in there when I went to Tinmouth a few weeks ago, probably a good thing since they have a HUGE wallet vacuum there (-:
Wallingford & Middletown Springs area is nice, I got back to the interstate all too soon.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
RoperChick
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-04-21 11:02 AM (#59726 - in reply to #59266)

Veteran

My favorite mod was the after market rotors for the dually. 

cowgirl98034, Chips do increase power, but a chip it can void your warranty and it can also shorten the life of your engine.  Also if you chip your truck be sure to get a set of gauges.

osue077
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-04-21 4:55 PM (#59735 - in reply to #59726)

Aftermarket rotors are next on the list for me. I have only heard great things about them but I'm sure Reg will chime in to say they are not worth it.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-21 5:14 PM (#59737 - in reply to #59735)

Expert

Originally written by osue077 on 2007-04-21 4:55 PM

Aftermarket rotors are next on the list for me. I have only heard great things about them but I'm sure Reg will chime in to say they are not worth it.

They're worth whatever you're willing to pay for them.
You WILL hear great things about them, typically from the people who make, sell, or "review" them for magazine articles.

I'm of the opinion that my truck is my truck, is my truck.
It has a known capacity, I don't exceed that, I don't feel a need for much "re-engineering" of it - OK, with the possible exception of the air springs for comfort and the satellite radio because on coast to coast trips I hate losing stations every hundred miles or two.
If I didn't have "enough truck" for my use I would probably have symptoms, such as inadequate power or soft brakes. I tend to stay below the speed limit too, I'm sure that helps things to stay cool.

BTW, See Tom's article on cryogenic rotors - cryogenically "treated" rotors.
RoperChick
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-04-21 8:03 PM (#59740 - in reply to #59735)

Veteran

Originally written by osue077 on 2007-04-21 2:55 PM

We hated the brakes that came on our dually.  The aftermarket rotors are great, truck stops better and smoother and we have not had any overheating problems since then.

Reg -- Our Dually has *never* been overloaded, unless you think 10,000 pounds is too much for a dually.  The brakes on the Ford Dually's have been a problem on the 7.3 liter model trucks (I'm not sure if they fixed the problem on the more recent models).  We had overheating problems, even without the trailer.   In our 20+ years of towing, this is the first vehicle we ever had brake problems with.  When the truck was new, we had the truck in to the dealer numerous times (the first time at 4,000 miles), because it took so much effort to get the truck to stop, the dealer said everything was fine.  Once the after market rotors were installed the truck finally stopped like it should and as I mentioned the overheating issues dissapeared. 

And no I don't sell them and I don't review them for magazine articles.

Edited by RoperChick 2007-04-21 8:08 PM
MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-21 8:38 PM (#59743 - in reply to #59266)

Elite Veteran

I review them. It's true, the rotors that come on new trucks the last few years are crap. Sometimes the same model year will have 3 different Chinese manufactures. We pull bigger trailers each year. It's a safety issue, but for towing often, replacing the factory rotors and pads is an excellent idea. I'm all for replacing magnet drum brakes on horse trailers too with hydraulic discs. We just did that on our Hart Horse Trailer Safety and Tech Tour and it's unbelievable improvement. I'll have an article out with the results. Next weekend the tour is at the Minnesota Horse Expo, stop by and see the brakes and hydraulic actuator.

osue077
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-04-21 8:40 PM (#59744 - in reply to #59740)

I was the same way with my ford. I put a boost and mastercylinder off of an F550 (which was recomended by my local dealership) and my brakes have never been better. I regularly haul 10k to 20k all over the mountains of colorado, sure they get hot easier, thats why I want the slotted rotors, but it stops when I want it to. In 175k miles, that is my only gripe about the ford.
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-04-22 7:08 PM (#59757 - in reply to #59266)

Elite Veteran

My hitch receiver is my fav truck mod:

Remove to Tow Chevy Hitch Cover

Grizzly2k1
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-04-22 7:48 PM (#59758 - in reply to #59266)

What is the cost of the aftermarket Rotors? for 2002 Chevy 1 ton duelly.
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-04-22 9:44 PM (#59765 - in reply to #59706)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Reg on 2007-04-20 11:29 PM

Originally written by Spooler on 2007-04-20 7:21 PM Brakesmart brake controller. No more adjust, adjust, adjust for different driving situations. It stops with the truck period. It take a pressure reading from the brake master cylinder. No more jerky, jerky in slow traffic. The harder you mash on the brake pedal the more brakes the trailer has. Best money I ever spent.
Are they (back) in production yet ? I seem to have just missed them about 3 or 4 years ago, but I see ads every so often and when I contact them they say they'll be getting another batch made "real soon now". There have been other rumors that the design was bought/sold a few times and the new owners would be re-introducing it - new and improved (-: I'd still like to follow up on it - or put a pressure trandux in my master cylinder and breadboard something of my own - - Like there's still a Radio Shack within 50 miles of

here ? NO !

Well, Here ya go. I just got mine a few weeks ago from here.

http://www.drperformance.com/brakesmarthome.html

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-23 8:03 AM (#59777 - in reply to #59765)

Expert

Thanks Spooler,
I just reviewed some older threads on it in other places.
Used to be $239 + $109 = ~$248 & pennies with the harness,
now up to $435 + shipping in 3 years - - WOW !
But, if it is in fact as good as its touted to be, it could still be worth it.

Whoozzzz re_view_zzzz Ya gonne b'leeve ?
(-:
MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-23 10:41 AM (#59792 - in reply to #59266)

Elite Veteran

Reg, someday my reviewzz on Brake Smart will be out. I love mine. Have tried the top brands and haven't found one with a faster reaction. Techonsha in the Ford Super Duty activates with the trucks hydraulic brake pressure like Brakesmart, but isn't as fast and under 12 mph, it automatically turns down the gain, so on slow high grade mountain situations, it's a pain. The new one offered by GM in the GMT-900 platform HD 2500/3500 is all electronic make by Continental, which makes most of the Electronic Stability Controls for autos. The hand control is on the left side on GM, hard for me to get used to but the gain readout is in the dash which I like. Prodigy and the Valley Odessy are good controllers but still not as fast at BrakeSmart. Reg if you come to the Minnesota Horse Expo this weekend, you can hook my truck up to your trailer and try the Brake Smart out.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-23 11:33 AM (#59795 - in reply to #59792)

Expert

Originally written by MrTruck on 2007-04-23 10:41 AM

Reg, someday my reviewzz on Brake Smart will be out. I love mine. Have tried the top brands and haven't found one with a faster reaction. Techonsha in the Ford Super Duty activates with the trucks hydraulic brake pressure like Brakesmart, but isn't as fast and under 12 mph, it automatically turns down the gain, so on slow high grade mountain situations, it's a pain. The new one offered by GM in the GMT-900 platform HD 2500/3500 is all electronic make by Continental, which makes most of the Electronic Stability Controls for autos. The hand control is on the left side on GM, hard for me to get used to but the gain readout is in the dash which I like. Prodigy and the Valley Odessy are good controllers but still not as fast at BrakeSmart. Reg if you come to the Minnesota Horse Expo this weekend, you can hook my truck up to your trailer and try the Brake Smart out.

Its a_NOTHER one of those diminishing returns things.
My question (to me) is always, OK so how much better is it than what I have and is it really worth the bux for the difference ?
I might look into cannibalizing the biger platform GM stuff, I might also go to disks on the trailer in the next year or n - Bahh, decisions, decisions, let's just RIDE !!!

I ain't going to Minney_so_dah with my trailer just for that, mayhap if Ya bring the show through Bawston some time ?

(-:
jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-04-23 11:46 AM (#59796 - in reply to #59792)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by MrTruck on 2007-04-23 10:41 AM

Minnesota Horse Expo

Where will you be? What is the name of the organization you are with? Do you have a booth number?
MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-23 1:02 PM (#59800 - in reply to #59266)

Elite Veteran

We'll be in the Hart trailer booth inside the cattle barn. Don't know the booth #, but will be a 2/h red trailer with a hay lift on top and lots of flashing lights. There will be a Cruzin Cooler parked outside the booth towing a cooler trailer, capacity two cases of pop.

Also come by and pickup a free copy of Trail Blazer and Western Horseman mag, I have articles in both. Bring your own coffee and donuts. I like pecan rolls, hint, hint...
rattler
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-04-23 1:58 PM (#59803 - in reply to #59266)

Regular

The BrakeSmart controller would fall into the "you get what you pay for" category. It is truly that good. I had a Prodigy and while better that the rest of the inertia controllers, it can't hold a candle to the BrakeSmart unit.

The biggest difference is below 20 mph. Ever gotten to an intersection at 10 mph, step on the brakes and find yourself skating on pea gravel because the truck was doing all the work....the Brakesmart eliminates this issue as it brakes the trailer in proportion to the peddle pressure no matter what the speed. Most any brake box will handle going from 65 to 30 in a hurry.

The closest I ever came to having a wreck was at 15 mph.

PaintPony
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-04-24 8:10 AM (#59839 - in reply to #59266)

Veteran

If you ever go down a grade loaded with an exhaust brake you'll never want it any other way. Mine wasn't a mod, it came on my medium duty. I thought it was pretty cool just driving around here but when I pulled in the mountains the first time I fell in LOVE with it. Coming back down Black Mountain (6% grade) with a fully loaded trailer I only had to tap my "real" brakes twice. No sweaty palms and niggling doubts. I'm sorry but I rarely drive in the mountains and I'd never before been completely comfortable pulling a trailer down that grade. Maybe I don't actually NEED the exhaust brake but it sure made me feel better.  Just lay off the gas, the truck is set to automatically downshift and it was smooth sailing all the way to the bottom. All I had to do was steer Very cool!

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-05-11 7:36 PM (#60699 - in reply to #59803)

Expert

Originally written by rattler on 2007-04-23 2:58 PM

The BrakeSmart controller would fall into the "you get what you pay for" category. It is truly that good. I had a Prodigy and while better that the rest of the inertia controllers, it can't hold a candle to the BrakeSmart unit.

The biggest difference is below 20 mph. Ever gotten to an intersection at 10 mph, step on the brakes and find yourself skating on pea gravel because the truck was doing all the work....the Brakesmart eliminates this issue as it brakes the trailer in proportion to the peddle pressure no matter what the speed. Most any brake box will handle going from 65 to 30 in a hurry.

The closest I ever came to having a wreck was at 15 mph.

been thinking about this for 3 weeks.......but no ive never had any problem with my prodigy under 20 mph.  matter of fact there was still a stain on the passenger side floorboard of the trailblazer where my wife dropped her drink when i was still fine tuneing the prodigy.  we were in a parking lot, ~15 mph and i applied the brake in a "normal" stop......nearly put us both in the windshield.  tweaked it a few more times and if worked perfectly at all speeds. of course not all rigs are the same, this trailer has outstanding brakes. some other ive had have not been so impressive.  another observation, this same trailer, now being pulled by the dmax, has far less ability to slow the truck (almost 3000 pounds heavier than the trailblazer). as such i had a time with smoking tires at the same settings i had used on the trailblazer.

im not doubting your account, nor am i disputing the brakesmart is better.  the pricipal it works on is without a doubt better.  but is it 4x better?  personally i doubt it, ive got a p3 on order.......just might get around to a brakesmart one day.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)