'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
grating/gritting teeth

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-03-27 8:43 AM
6 replies, 4421 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

sskinner
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-03-26 1:34 PM (#57800)
Subject: grating/gritting teeth

Regular

Hi,

Thought I would post this question out here to see if anyone else has had similar experiences with their horses.

I have a 4 year old POA mare, she was started lightly last summer by a reputable trainer.  We noticed that at times, while under saddle she would grind her teeth.  I had the vet out and she floated them, after that it didn't seem to be an issue.  I should also mention that she was only lightly ridden after that out and about in the fields here around home.  Now this spring I have pulled her out of the pasture and moved her to a small quiet private barn to start working the spring kinks out.  She is going to the trainer's ad the end of the week for a few months, and by the end of the summer I hope to show her at the International POA futurity.  Since day one at this new barn she has been grinding her teeth again; when at rest in her stall, in the crossties, and under saddle.  I have been keeping things very low key; my main goal is just to get her back into a schedule before she goes to the trainer.    An oldtimer suggested it might be ulcers; since she tends to be an anxious kind of horse it wouldn't suprise me.  But I also wonder if it is behavioral.   She is on grass hay, oats, and two supplements; one a general mineral combo and the other is a biotion/flax mix.  Turned out daily for an hour or so /and or ridden.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Sarah

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-03-26 2:04 PM (#57808 - in reply to #57800)
Subject: RE: grating/gritting teeth

Expert

How long has it been since her teeth have been looked at? My vet/dentist said it should be every 6 months just like ours. I have my younger horses looked at once a year, but my old girl goes in every 6 months. Soon I won't have to worry about her teeth, she doesn't have many left.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-03-26 2:21 PM (#57816 - in reply to #57800)

Expert

The old guy could be right(ulcers), sounds behavioral to me.  Bet she starts stall weaving soon.  You better keep an eye on her if she starts cribbing/wind sucking.

You can keep her teeth in check but I'm afraid that your little pony has bigger mental issues at work.

sskinner
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-03-26 3:03 PM (#57820 - in reply to #57800)

Regular

Her teeth were done about 7 months ago and the vet checked them out just last month when she was here to do routine vaccinations. 
notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-03-26 6:34 PM (#57838 - in reply to #57800)

Veteran

I have known horses to grind their teeth when they have a sore back-I would have a saddler check the fit of the saddle and see the chiropractor.
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-03-27 7:11 AM (#57868 - in reply to #57800)

Elite Veteran

Ditto on the ulcers and back issues.  Back in the 90's I had a very wide mutton withered QH gelding that was a teeth grinder.  I had saddle issues due to his confirmation. 

I found a treeless saddle that fit him as well as a much better farrier and the the back issues disappeared.

Studies have shown that 100% of racehorses develop ulcers and about 85% of working horses develop them.  When horses are stressed - ridden, shown, trailered, etc stomach acids can build up and cause ulcers.  My now 5 year old started chewing wood when I had been riding him for about 6 months.  A very good friend said he might be developing an ulcer and suggested I try a product called Miracle Clay.  It's a natural product - clay from the ground and its mixed with water to make a paste.

I gave him about 1/3 of a syringe (orally) before feeding for a month and two years later he has yet to chew wood again.  I also give it to him before and after trailering, or big group rides as he is a nervous horse.  He used to have runny manure when I rode in big groups, but not anymore. It coats the tummy and keeps the acids from causing issues. 

Do a search on the internet for Dynamite Products as they are only sold through distributors.  One cannister lasted me a year and cost around $30 - so it's very inexpensive.

Others swear by aloe juice, but you have to give it every meal and keep it refrigerated.  It will cost about $20 a month, so I prefer the Miracle Clay.  Plus MC is great for ant or bee bites - cover the sting area and it will take away the sting and redness.  It can be taken orally by humans as well. 

Beth
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-03-27 8:43 AM (#57872 - in reply to #57800)

Veteran

It has been my experience that horses grind their teeth when they are in pain.  I would suggest more turnout time and keep hay in front of the pony at all times.

I did some research on ulcers in horses and the above stats are correct.  I also found out that unlike humans, a horse's digestive system produces acid  constantly.....whether they have foodstuff in it or not.  This is because they are grazers and are meant to eat alot of forage so their system automatically produces the acid. 

I was amazed myself but it made sense....I guess it would explain why so many horses have ulcers too.

If anyone wants to read this excellent 3 pg article go to this address  www.succeeddcp.com/sdcp_upload/DigestionAndTheEquineAthlete.pdf

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)