'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Installing propane and HW heater

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-04-16 12:02 PM
10 replies, 4927 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2007-03-23 12:03 PM (#57581)
Subject: Installing propane and HW heater

Extreme Veteran

I am wanting to add a propane fixed type hot water heater to my trailer and, as with everything else, can't find a lick of information on the subject. Guess what I really want to find out is what type and size piping would be appropriate for this project. I was considering a furnace as well and discovered a write up on how to do a hydronic heater system and it looks very intriging so it's something I am wanting to try. The guy who did the write up heats a 24' RV with his set up so I think it would heat up my modest 4'SW LQ quietly. I have the room to install both but I really need some info on the basics of propane plumbing. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by maccwall 2007-03-23 12:05 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-03-23 12:45 PM (#57583 - in reply to #57581)
Subject: RE: Installing propane and HW heater

Extreme Veteran

My hubby & I installed one in a DIY several years ago. We ran black pipe from the propane tanks under the trailer to where the water heater was placed and came up from the underside. Home Depot will cut & thread the pipe for you in needed lengths. If I remember correctly we used a flex hose from the propane tank to the black pipe, and copper from the black pipe stub inside the trailer to the heater. The big nervous moment was when we cut the hole in the side of the trailer for venting. I visited some dealers and looked at LQ to see how it was done, and thats what we did.

-Betty

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-03-23 12:58 PM (#57585 - in reply to #57581)

Expert

I usually mount the lp tanks under the neck, so if you are planning on putting the water heater in close proximity of that you could use all flexible line. I have in the past on some. If not within 6-8 ft. of the tank you should use the black iron pipe under the trailer and then flex from there back to the water heater. All of the appliances, water heater, furnace, stovetops ect... will work off the same regulator so it can be mounted close to the tank.
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2007-03-23 3:56 PM (#57609 - in reply to #57585)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks folks. Is there a specific diameter of pipe that should be used? I wish I could use the flex pipe all the way but, I have not measured yet, I think the distance way more than 6 ft. Any specific type bracing that should be used under the trailer along the floor supports for the pipe? The tanks I intend to mount on the opposite side of the spare under the gooseneck where most are mounted on the drivers side of the trailer. Hot water heater is going in the corner of my closet.

Edited by maccwall 2007-03-23 3:59 PM
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2007-04-05 4:44 PM (#58606 - in reply to #57609)

Extreme Veteran

Wondering if anyone might have a source on getting a cylinder mount for lp gas cylinders

rsandi5218
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-05 11:16 PM (#58634 - in reply to #57581)

I bought a twin bottle mount from a local RV supply (tray, all-thread, hold down, regulator and auto changeover valve and all 3 hoses). There is a brand new setup currently on eBay  that includes the cylinders. I welded some 1 1/2" angle iron under the trailer to the angle iron. I ran 1/2" black pipe from front towards back to where I stubbed up through the floor to my shut-off valve. I used pipe thread compound on each joint. I pressure tested the hard piping by pressing it up a little with my compressor and leak tested the joints. I have a flex hose run to my cook top. I got 2 20# cylinders from my true value store (they were running a sale). I will be out of town for a week but if you want I'll take some pictures and post them for you showing how I ran the pipe and mounted the bottles. I just crawled under a bunch of trailers at a local roping and took mental notes copying what the manufacturers did.

Randy  

maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2007-04-06 10:35 AM (#58654 - in reply to #58634)

Extreme Veteran

That would be great Randy. Thanks. I'd love to see some pictures. I'm one of those that visuals help alot more than descriptions... LOL

rsandi5218
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-15 10:27 PM (#59360 - in reply to #57581)

Send your email address to rsandi5218@gmail.com and I'll send you the pictures of my project. I just got back in town and have taken pictures of the piping underneath and my bottle mount.

Randy

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-04-15 10:51 PM (#59366 - in reply to #58654)

Expert

I would think 1/2" or 3/4" would be sufficient.

Use black pipe any where that will be exposed to elements.  I'm not sure that the yellow flex pipe is rated for outdoor exposure.

I think you can go longer than 6' with the yellow flex. We do it all the time with Natural Gas in new homes. I don't know why Propane would have a shorter distance. (Except for the outdoor exposure rating) If in doubt go one size larger to allow more flow (ie 3/4" in place of 1/2") But the smart thing is to check the manufactures ratings for the product.

When you build the systems. cap all the ends and put a pressure guage on one end. Inflate the system to 5 or 10 psi.  Let it stand for a few hours and see if you lost any pressure. (If you let it stand over night and have temperature fluxations, you will see a small drop due to the temp change.) Natural Gas system for new homes ran at 4 oz standard  or high pressure at 2 lbs psi. So a 10lb test is more than sufficient.

The big disadvantage to Hydronic heat is the time it takes to heat up a unit. It is very efficient at maintaining heat. But slow to bring something cold up to heat.

Personally myself I want to be able to turn the heat off while I gone and come in, flip a switch and have heat in 5 minutes. Not in hours.

I also like the air movement in the trailer. If I come in wet from a rain or snow storm, I like the air movement to help dry things out. The only air miovement with Hydronic heat is the natural convection of heat rising.

Edited by Painted Horse 2007-04-15 10:57 PM
hconley
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2007-04-15 11:49 PM (#59370 - in reply to #57581)

Extreme Veteran

When installing gas fixtures (wheather in your house or your trailer) you should use a professional to do the install. It might cost you a little to install it, but could save lives and property damage.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-04-16 12:02 PM (#59398 - in reply to #58606)

Expert

They have them at LQparts.com

http://lqparts.com/index.php?t=item&i=3&p=25

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format