'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Reviews/Opinions on Gore trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-03-09 10:11 AM
20 replies, 20806 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Dawn
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-06 7:35 AM (#56757)
Subject: Reviews/Opinions on Gore trailers

I am looking at buying a Gore trailer and I have not found much information on them when searching this forum.  Does anyone know of a review somewhere or has an opinion about them?  How to they compare to other all-alum trailers i.e. 4-star, hart, etc.  They are unique in that they have a fiberglass roof, so, anything positive or negative about that type of roof?  I appreciate any help out there! Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2007-03-06 9:17 AM (#56762 - in reply to #56757)
Subject: RE: Reviews/Opinions on Gore trailers

Elite Veteran

One of the only ones I've seen in years still with slipper/spring axles. Uggghhh. How out of date.
Dawn
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-06 9:37 AM (#56763 - in reply to #56757)

The manufacturer (Gore) will build a trailer with either type of axle at no cost difference and stated that most customers prefer the spring axles.  I haven't purchased a horse trailer in about 10 years and so the torsion axles are new to me.  Thanks for pointing that out and I will consider your point.

Ms Sharon Kay
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2007-03-06 9:41 AM (#56765 - in reply to #56763)

Spring axles are not a great idea for horses! You want your horses to be comfortable and safe, torsion will give a smooth ride with less shock to the critters you love.

mst
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-06 10:24 AM (#56769 - in reply to #56757)

New User

Hi, I'm a Gore Dealer, call me and I will answer all of your questions. Gore Trailers is the oldest continuously owned horse trailer manufacturer in the country, we're celebrating 43 years in the business. Exiss has been in the business about 7 or 8 years. 256 233-2230 Athens Alabama Larry
Its all about horses
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-06 10:55 AM (#56770 - in reply to #56757)

I have to disagree with the idea that spring axles are not good for horses. Yes the torsion axle will give a smother ride but they also place the trailer closer to the road. When you go over a bump it is easy to bottom out your trailer, especially with a Bumper pull. Springs will last you longer and it may be inconvenient to have to change a flat tire right away unlike the torsion that you can drive on a flat, but who wants to take the risk of damaging their trailer. I have only owned trailers with springs and I have towed trailers with the torsion and I do not like them. Plus with the new trailer designees if you ride in the back of the spring trailers down a bumpy road, (My driveway in the spring!) You will not feel much of a difference. Just my thought.

Dawn
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-06 11:35 AM (#56776 - in reply to #56757)

Sounds like the best type of axles for horse trailers is quite subjective.  Looks like I need to research the different types of axles including the various postings on this forum.

Does anyone have any other opinions on other aspects of the Gore trailer i.e. roof, overall construction?

Thanks so much!

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-03-06 12:23 PM (#56777 - in reply to #56757)

Expert

Slipper springs, heavy steel frame, wood floor, aluminum skin and I've never seen one in the junk yard. They have built them this way for years, and they last for years, here you go.

http://www.goretrailers.com/index.html

iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-03-06 6:03 PM (#56789 - in reply to #56777)

Extreme Veteran

The worst thing about the Gore trailers to me is they have a wood floor. Mr. Gore says he will give the same warranty as an Aluminum one  or thats what he told me at the Myrtle Beach ride when they were one of the sponsors. I just don't like a wood floor. other than that I thought it was a decent trailer. 

Edited by iCE CRM 2007-03-06 6:04 PM
Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-03-06 6:50 PM (#56790 - in reply to #56757)

Extreme Veteran

Funny how different people want different structures. I didn't want an aluminum floor, so I got a Trailet because it had a fiberglass roof and the wood floor.  Would have probably preferred rumber but I wanted those features. 

Otherwise I would have gotten a 4 Star.  (2h BP/DR)

Jbsny

Dawn
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-07 7:48 AM (#56810 - in reply to #56757)

My friend has had a Gore for 14 years and it has a wood floor and she tells me the loor is still in excellent condition.  I was told by Gore that they offer both a wood floor (10 year warranty) and a aluminum (1 year warranty) and there is not a difference in price.  Sounds to me that Gore still offers some of the "old" construction materials (i.e. wood floors and spring axles) and allows the customers to choose what they want.

We will be looking at the trailer (used) today.   Thanks for everyone's input!

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-03-07 9:39 AM (#56814 - in reply to #56762)

Expert

IMO, Gore is definitely a step down from 4-star, Elite, Hart, and C&C.
littlerf
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-07 2:25 PM (#56828 - in reply to #56757)

New User

Dawn I am a gore Dealer In Va. Little Rock Farm & Trailer supply. I Have Statements from Sciences School of Veterinary Medicine in Davis Ca. I will be more than Glad to fax this to you. We have our Customers tell us they love the way they pull I have 2 Customers that went from a Sundowner Back to The Gore and she said she saved 5 miles to the Gallon. As far as the wood floor It is a personal matter I have more customers who want the wood floor because of the pitting with the Alumium floor I have Placed the floor in 3 other Brands( Alumium floor.) If you clean the Floor Proper you should have no problem. If I can be Of any Help let me Know. Mr Gore Is one of the Most Honest People In the Trailer Industry.He will Also be Gald to help you. As far as fit and Finish I feel like they are hard to beat
Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-03-07 2:41 PM (#56829 - in reply to #56757)

Extreme Veteran

In response to Hav2Ride, I would like to say that every trailer out there fits a budget, a need, or some issue facing the buyer.  While some trailers are higher end, not all lower end trailers are bad.  I had a couple that got me through some rough times that would be considered junky.  But they were solid trailers that got me where I needed to go safely.

The best trailer is one that is safe, affordable and the horses fit in it well!!!!!!!

I know that the Gore's were popular on the East Coast when I was showing the A circuit and I saw them at the Columbus OH Equine Affaire and considered them as a potential trailer.  I found the Trailet used, which made it even more appealing to me...

Not that I wouldn't get any of the ones you mentioned, but sometimes they aren't the best choice for the buyer.

Jbsny

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-03-08 7:51 AM (#56863 - in reply to #56829)

Expert

I totally agree that everyone has a budget but I was answering the OP question of "how does Gore compare to 4-star?".
rider3
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2007-03-08 9:27 AM (#56867 - in reply to #56757)

Veteran

I have my trailer serviced at a Gore dealer and know people who own them. They are very well made with alot of attention to detail. I personally passed only because I didn't want a wood floor, wanted a lined tack room/insulated roof and found all of that for less $$. Bottom line is if it is what you want and you can afford it you can't go wrong quality wise with a Gore.
scoop
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-08 3:22 PM (#56892 - in reply to #56867)

Originally written by rider3 on 2007-03-08 7:27 AM

I personally passed only because I didn't want a wood floor, ...

This will go to show you that there are so many opinions in the horse world.  After having an aluminum floor, I won't have anything but wood in the future.  I did briefly entertain the thought Rumber and decided against it.

Good luck with your decision...you'll know what is right for you in the end because you'll feel happy with your decision.

horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2007-03-09 12:31 AM (#56906 - in reply to #56757)

Extreme Veteran

I once owned a Gore 2 horse bumper pull with dressing room.  The only reason I sold it was to bump up to a gooseneck trailer with living quarters.  I would have definately purchase one again if there had been one in my area but you don't see many in Iowa.  I felt the construction was good and everything was in good shape when I sold my.  If I had a Gore and Four Star side by side offered to buy, I'd probably go with the Four Star.
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2007-03-09 6:41 AM (#56911 - in reply to #56757)

I had a Gore trailer for a short time. It pulled good but I disliked more about it than I liked. I did not like the DR door at all nor did I care for the leaf springs on it. I didn't like the latches that were on mine, either. I think it is a safe OK trailer, better than alot of them, but far from top of the line. Mine was a composite trailer, steel frame, wood floor, fiberglass roof and a mill finish aluminum skin. I thought the folks at the factory were very nice and good to deal with. We started traveling alot more and wanted to get a top of the line LQ and were scared to put a ton of money in a trailer that at that time was considered to be "regional". Since I like to get a new LQ every 2 years with the latest and greatest, I stay with the "in demand" trailers with a higher resale value and bigger market. If you are getting a non LQ Gore and live in the Carolinas, you will have a better chance of resell in the south.
Dawn
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-09 9:49 AM (#56917 - in reply to #56757)

Dawn
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-09 10:11 AM (#56918 - in reply to #56757)

Sorry for the previous "blank" post as I am still a newbie to this forum.  We looked at the Gore and have decided to purchase it.  There were still positives and negatives but overall, it was a good price for what you get and it was like new.  The original purchaser definitely took the depreciation for us.  This one is not a LQ and we are close to the Carolinas so hopefully we can resale easily if it doesn't work out for us.  However, I think we will be pleased.

Negatives: My biggest dislike was the head windows...there were wobbly.  We wished they sprayed the rubber (i.e. rhino) under the gooseneck like Sundowner does.  Their overall appearance is outdated IMO.

Positives: We feel that how the all steel chassi under the gooseneck tied into the under carriage was a better structual design than most trailers.  The Sundonwer is similar to the Gore.  (The 4-stars, Harts, etc. only uses steel from the coupler back a few feet.)  The welds looks strong.  The horse area looked safe i.e. good padding and sturdy divider latches.  Horse ties on both sides of the trailer.  (definitely didn't like the Sundowner ties at the rear of the trailer)

After all of our research, we concluded that there is not a perfect trailer out there.  (Note, we only looked at about 7 different brands)  If I could build one from scratch I would take design features from a number of trailers out there.  IMO the Gore is in the middle to top of the line of what we looked at.  The Sundowners and 4-stars are just too far out of our price range and we both have good paying jobs.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)