'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Need Info on Riding in Montana

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-05-29 10:05 PM
17 replies, 6913 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

tenntrailrider
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-02 1:26 PM (#56625)
Subject: Need Info on Riding in Montana

Saw the posting requesting info on riding in Colorado. Some of the info was very good so I thought I would try for info on Montana.  We plan to go late August, early September and are still flexible for some stops.  We we need to gradually get into the moderate to  higher altitudes.  We are moderate riders, no buff ledges and are not overnight wilderness riders (paid too much for LQ to sleep in a tent).  This has always been my dream trip so I want to make the very best of it.

B in Tennessee

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-03-02 4:51 PM (#56634 - in reply to #56625)
Subject: RE: Need Info on Riding in Montana

You might look at www.recreation.gov  to make your reservations.  We had to change our dates because places were already full.  So much for thinking we were getting it together early!
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2007-03-02 8:54 PM (#56642 - in reply to #56625)

Extreme Veteran

We have been to Montana several times. Gallatin National Forest in SW Montana is about as good as it gets. I hope your not looking for camp grounds with facilities, there aren't many. Mostly primitive camping. Lots of nice spots to camp and plenty of water. You'll have no problem finding many nice places to camp. The trail maps are excellent and the trails are all well maintained.

Here are some pictures of our camp site:

This is Taylor Fork Creek. Our camp is in the background.

The dear came into camp nearly every day.

Here is a shot from the top of Monument Mountain.

Here's some links to some more pictures of the area.

Koch Basin.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v223/bbsmfg3/koch/

Monument Mountain.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v223/bbsmfg3/koch/

ShedHorn Mountain.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v223/bbsmfg3/shedhorn2/

Carrot Basin.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v223/bbsmfg3/Carrot_basin/

Daily Pass.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v223/bbsmfg3/Daily_Pass/

Rams Horn Peak.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v223/bbsmfg3/ram%20horn/

Edited by bbsmfg3 2007-03-04 5:59 AM
tenntrailrider
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-03 3:35 PM (#56669 - in reply to #56625)

We have been snowmobiling in West Yellowstone and have ridden part of the Gallatin Nat'l Forest at Two Top on snowmobiles.  I will try to get info on the horse trails.  We are meeting up with our snowmobile guide who rides some horses as well.  I'm sure she will be able to help out. I found some info on a place near Roscoe, MT that says I can get to the Beartooth Mtn trails.  Has anyone ridden around there??
foxy54748
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-18 6:04 AM (#57254 - in reply to #56625)

In 2004 we took a 7 day pack trip to the Bob Marshall Wilderness.  We started out at Benchmark Trailhead just west of Augusta, MT.  Benchmark is a very nice campsite with several loops for day riding.  Nice large campsites, hay bunkers to tie horses, pit toilets.  We ordered maps from the forest service during the winter and studied them to map out a route.  Several creek crossings, fishing opportunities, variety of riding - none of it challenging unless you go to Patrol Mt.  That might be challening for flatlanders. The trail is well-marked, but it is exciting in places.  There is a manned lookout station at the top - it was occupied by a young lady who is very friendly and always welcome company.  You will want to take the Pretty Prairie ride - nice relaxing ride.  One of the best trips we've taken. 
tenntrailrider
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-20 9:24 AM (#57366 - in reply to #56625)

Since posting this originally, we have decided to spend most of our time on this trip in Montana.  I will look at the area around Bob Marshall Wilderness. I have found several privately owned places in the area but no info on the park yet.  Thanks for your info.  Did you see any bear?  What time of year did you go?  How about hunters? How long did you take driving out?  We hope to have our horses in shape for hills at our altitude but am not sure about hills at 5000 feet.  Did you take weed free hay or pelleted feed?

Hope I haven't drowned you with questions but these are some of the things I keep reading about.  What is a brand inspection?  Just proof of ownership or something I have to seek out entering the state?

gottaride
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-23 9:55 PM (#57638 - in reply to #56625)

We would like to ride there too someday- so far I've only been to Custer, and Medora ND- will be paying attention to this thread! Thnx.
tenntrailrider
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-26 9:34 AM (#57784 - in reply to #56625)

Hey gottaride!  Where did you stay in Custer?  Did you ride in the Custer State Park?  How was it?  Still gathering info but plan to stop there a day or two to get our horses used to a little altitude.

Bonnie in Tennessee

gottaride
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-26 11:02 AM (#57793 - in reply to #56625)

We stayed @ French Creek horse camp (Custer Park). I was invited by some other friends, someone else could not go, so we got their camp site, otherwise I believe you have to book way in advance- its a pretty popular place! I did not get to do all the riding I wanted to, so hopefully I can go back again soon! Its very, very pretty, and yes, a good place to go get the horses in shape for even tougher riding. Our horses were not in the best shape when we went (May of last year), and were also barefoot- they handled it great though. I waited years to finally see 'The black hills'- it was worth it.
marlenaanne
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2007-03-29 12:37 AM (#57972 - in reply to #56625)

Regular

Hey gottaride, a lot of Minnesotans are now going to Elk Haven on the edge of Custer. They have electric, water and a convenience store. You can ride to Mount Rushmore, Custer Park as well as private land. I was there last year and the hospitality is great as was the riding. Black Hills are gorgeous.
gottaride
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-29 7:34 AM (#57976 - in reply to #56625)

Hey neighbor! Well I'll have to rememeber that for the next time- thank you!
Slidinspots
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-03-30 11:46 PM (#58138 - in reply to #57366)
Subject: RE: Bad trailer accident with Circle J trailer

Veteran

We have packed from Benchmark a couple of times. We didn't see bear, but "neighbors" had black bear steal stuff because they didn't have bear boxes or tie it up high. We have been there end of July. You do need certified weed free hay. For traveling into the state you will need a Coggins, HC and I think a brand inspection but not sure about that if you don't have that in your state. It is beautiful riding, enjoy your trip!58
foxy54748
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-04-14 8:48 PM (#59297 - in reply to #56625)

Tenntrailrider - sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner- been offline for awhile.  You can find tons of information on the Horse & Mule Trail Guide at this link http://www.horseandmuletrails.com/Mt.htm.  I have it marked for Montana for you.  You can contact the Ranger District at this address.

Rocky Mtn Ranger District
PO Box 340
Choteau, Mt.
Ph 406-466-5341

They'll  help you with maps.  We rode the Benchmark-Chinese Wall loop.  Starting out at Benchmark Trailhead.  We were there the first two weeks of August 2004. Didn't see any hunters.  Did see one bear - just ran across the trail.  If you plan to pack out you will need bear proof panniers and bring along enough rope to make tie-lines for your horses and to tie your panniers up in trees at night. 

We left from our friend's place in Rochester, MN and drove to Medora, ND the first night.  the second day we drove the Augusta, MT and were able to stay overnight at the rodeo grounds.  We made arrangements ahead of time to purchase our hay in Augusta.  On the third day we picked up last minute groceries, hay and then drove out to Benchmark, set up camp and by the fourth day we set out on our 6 day pack trip. 

We fed our horses the purchased hay while in camp and took one bag of hay cubes along for the pack trip - otherwise we relied on grazing our animals.  There was plenty of grazing and we tried to always pick a campsite that had enough grazing.  We had 5 people - 5 riding animals and 3 pack animals.  We did meet several hikers on the trail and a few professional packers. 

You'll have to have a water purifier and containers to hold the water once it's purified.  It took us all winter to plan this trip and then we had several practice sessions before we left.  If you'd like more information my husband would be happy to talk to you.  Please email me off line if you'd like more info.  foxy54748@yahoo.com

Also there is information about the brand inspection on the website link I sent you.  You will need to contact the brand inspector and make an appointment to have your animals inspected.  There is a fee and an option to have permanent papers.  You will need your Coggins paper and health certificate. 
Hope this answers some of your questions.

bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2007-04-18 7:39 PM (#59569 - in reply to #57366)

Extreme Veteran

quote" Did you see any bear? What time of year did you go? How about hunters? How long did you take driving out? We hope to have our horses in shape for hills at our altitude but am not sure about hills at 5000 feet. Did you take weed free hay or pelleted feed?"

Did we see bear.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/bbsmfg3/mt2005/yrlggriz.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/bbsmfg3/blowout/black265.jpg

Edited by bbsmfg3 2007-04-18 7:48 PM
tenntrailrider
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-05-18 8:24 AM (#60958 - in reply to #56625)

Thank you all for the info.  It looks like we are heading for Elk Haven as well. Some friends of ours are coming out in a motorhome and would probably have trouble getting both of us in to the state park. We are still finalizing everything but plan to be out there around the 20th of August for a few days. I will call about the brand inspection and hope to get that done while we are there.  I plan to rest the horses the first day and sightsee.

Keep the good info coming!

Bonnie in Tennessee

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-05-24 3:05 PM (#61245 - in reply to #56625)

Expert

We hauled and rode in MT the month of November in 2005.  Our local vet called the MT livestock folks who gave her a access number to put on our health certificate, and once we got there we had a brand inspector (very polite ) come check the mules (who are branded and microchipped) and issue us a temperary brand certificate for 30 days.  Was very easy to set up and took little time, and he was also a great source of local info.  We were there to elk and deer hunt, rode about 15 miles a day most days, the mules were fit for the work and adjusted to the alititude easily.  We did take bute and banamine in case of emergency but nothing was needed.  We carried Counter Assault bear spray but were only bothered by mule deer coming in and eating a bit of hay.  We got certified weed free hay in White Sulpher Springs.  Hope this helps and you have a good time!
tenntrailrider
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-05-29 1:13 PM (#61401 - in reply to #56625)

I really appreciate all the info from this site. I have begun to finalize our plans and have found many of the "ranches" we are trying to book off of websites are no longer on the web and phone #'s and e-mail is not working.  There is a lot to be said for planning ahead but it is also scary to think that some of these places might not be in operation when you get there.  I will continue to call them often to be sure we will still have a place to stay.  It looks like we are good all the way in to Bozeman area but are still trying to choose somewhere that is not quite total wilderness riding.

I am leaning toward the forest near the 320 Guest Ranch near Big Sky.  We stay there in January when we go to snowmobile.

Will keep checking this site.

Bonnie in Tennessee

dateacher
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-05-29 10:05 PM (#61433 - in reply to #57784)

Tenntrailrider-The Black Hills are the best place Ihave been trailriding. I think they are prettier than the Rockies, but that is just me. I also camped at Frenchcreek campgrounds in Custer. But most of the spots fill up in March when they open reservations for the year. Just Google custer state park SD for more information. Have fun in Montana. Sounds like an awesome trip.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)