'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Who likes to trailride--Who likes to show ??

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-02-05 4:31 PM
29 replies, 6579 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-02-04 8:35 AM (#55031 - in reply to #55012)
Subject: RE: Who likes to trailride--Who likes to show ??

Expert

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-02-04 8:45 AM (#55033 - in reply to #55012)

Expert

"I've tried both. Showing became too damned political. If you didn't have the big name or wasn't under the big name's stable, yeah you could win but it was utterly impossible to do anything at Nationals without those conditions. We have an attic full of ribbons and trophies from Regional level. What did that prove? "

I've done both too, and I love to do both. I really disagree with your statement about not being able to do anything at the national levels without a big name or a big name trainer. I've been successful at the nationals level in AQHA and no one knew who I was except the folks from my region. I personally love showing because I have a very competitive nature. I'm not obnoxious about competition (like some are) but I do show to win. My philosophy is, if I can't win, I want my friend to win. I have so many friends all over the country because of showing. I enjoy training my horses, showing them, and yes!, getting dressed up in fancy things tho show. What's wrong with that? I also enjoy getting dressed up to go out with friends. But I understand why trail riding is so popular too. I find it very relaxing and great for the horse's mind. So why be so negative about people who enjoy one over the other. It's a personal choice, neither one being right or wrong.
Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-02-04 7:22 PM (#55055 - in reply to #54901)

Extreme Veteran

I've never shown QH's, only Arabs and the entire Arab show world was full of crooks at the time. Lasma, IAHA, Zodiac to name a few. I am not condescending those who enjoy showing, I'm just relating my past experiences with the show world and why I opted out. I don't do trail either, just endurance. Trail is too slow for us. I'd rather be out in the sun, rain, wind, cold, and heat in my wornout jeans and riding shoes than be in a show ring with my Gucci's in a manmade environment. And competition, try staying in the saddle for 50 miles testing yours and your horse's intestinal fortitude against the elements for 12 hours. That's my opinion! To which I'm entitled. I have nothing against those that show or trail ride. Whatever floats your boat. I march to the sound of a different drummer and sometimes beat the drum to my cadence.
WesternSky
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-02-04 7:24 PM (#55056 - in reply to #54901)

Regular

Wow. Some pretty strong opinions with some about this one.

Our aged Morgan won a bunch of stuff as a 3 year old at a few Morgan specialies years ago. I was looking for a fast moving, lightly built endurance horse with some good sense in his head when heard about a nice little gelding for sale down south of us. I went to look at him but the owner was hoping he would go to a show home, so I went home. A few months later she called me back and this time I took a trail saddle with me and the temperature that day was about 10 degrees. She couldn't believe that I was actually planning to take him away from the arena and into the unfenced wild world outside as she took off his blanket to reveal he had no winter coat or whiskers, immaculate bridle path neatly trimmed halfway down his crest and his tail all bagged up. He flat walked out and was absolutely incredible out on the trails that day and still is, 20 years later -- and is the biggest reason I love trail riding as much as I do.

But now my daughter has him as her 4H project and she has started showing him mostly at Pleasure. Wouldn't you know but he still remembers his manners, and nice transitions, etc. He even will stretch for her as they do for the Morgan standard, and get that look of eagles thing going. Our furry, muddy, retired from distance competition, backyard horse that has all that blue-blood show breeding.

So I think a good horse will do whatever the involved rider will ask of it as long as the time is taken to prepare. We are all lucky to have the choices of trail riding or showing. That's JMHO. Grin.

lisa
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-02-05 4:31 PM (#55101 - in reply to #54901)

Extreme Veteran

Just my 2 centavos; 

I just love to go and explore the trails, smell my mares warm breath, and slightly sweet sweat. We don't always look so clean, and a lot of the time we are in jeans, old boots, a raggdy blanket and doing her Looooong Trot.  Of course I ride an Arabian, so long distance is so nice, And our friends on T Walkers and MFTrotters love us to set the pace. They like to move right out as well, and we have 11,000 acrers of desert and sandstone buttes to explore.  I tried to watch some of the shows at the L.A.E.C. and it was like watching painted ponies!  All glitz and no substance. My wife trains in the traditional Dressage style, and still makes the best horses for the trail. They know how to collect, bend, use their head and neck to balance, and are really well conditioned. None the less she trail rides to allo0w them to excersize their brain and not get bored with training.  I do like to watch the cutters and reiners though.

Steve, on that Grey Arab

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)