'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Sad news----

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-02-02 11:51 PM
29 replies, 7554 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-02-02 4:35 PM (#54930 - in reply to #54926)
Subject: RE: Sad news----

Elite Veteran

horsecrazi-

Sorry you have two ex-racers that seem to have been abused. Horses don't cower in the back of their stalls because they were whipped in a horse race. someone was obviously mistreating these horses ALL the time. Not all TB's love to race. I merely suggested that almost all of them do possess heart. Whether it be any sport. What I was trying to say about "Moifa" was that he had "heart" and the drive and the will. Honestly, do you know of any other breed that would have been able and fit enough to swim 100 miles?That's what is so special about TB's. They are COMPETITIVE. They have drive like no other breed. It is bred into them.Most of them anyways. No I am not a breeder or a racing owner. I love horse-racing as a sport. Though I do not agree with a lot of stuff that is allowed in the sport and would like to see many changes. I used to work on the track as a groom. I don't know where you got most of your "racing-knowledge" but what you said about the feeding and everything else, you are generalizing which is not fair. Never did we feed straight alfalfa. We fed Timothy hay. Yes, they got more grain than they should have, but supplements that were healthy for them was part of their diet too. The owner/trainer that I worked for loved her horses. The horses loved getting out on the track to exercise. They loved getting onto the hot-walkers. They loved their everyday routine. They all had personalities that were un-believable! I have two Standardbreds off the track now. That is all I will ever own is a recycled racehorse. They don't run because they are scared, they do it because that is what they enjoy doing. Mine all run and play hard out in the pasture and race each other up and down the fence-line ALL THE TIME. Like the other post said- They come across the finish line with their ears pricked forward. The winners do know that they have won the race!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-02-02 5:23 PM (#54936 - in reply to #54926)

Elite Veteran

How many horses do you see out running and racing out in their turnouts?

Horsecrazi-  What discipline do you do? Look at dressage riders. Why do they wrap their horses in polo wraps, splint boots and bell boots to turn their horses out? Because horses DO hurt their legs all the time! Why is it that most reiners, cutters horses usually are lame (dead lame) by the age of 12 or 13? So see, you can pick apart all equine sports. What about 3 day eventing? Some of those people were the most abusive towards the horses physicall being that I have ever seen!

horsecrazi
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2007-02-02 7:19 PM (#54945 - in reply to #54661)

Veteran

I ride dressage,and my horses do not wear boots in the field.Those Tb's like to get on the track and run ,and on the hot walkers becuase they (most of them)do not get turn out.Anything is better than nothing.Why is it that when I ride my horses with out a whip they are fine .As soon as I try riding with one (even if I don't use it)they atomatically speed up and want to run with their heads up in the air.That is becuase they are scared of that whip.Tb's are known as a flighty breed that has been what is breed into them.Therefore their flight instinct is much stronger.I must say I do like to watch the races,but do not agree with some of it.Thats all.
Its all about horses
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-02 11:37 PM (#54958 - in reply to #54661)

Hi everyone. This is a new thing for me but I just had to write. I own a boarding and training facility and have for the last 10 yrs. I have worked with horses since I was 8 and have loved every minuet of it. I have found that horses are very much like people, some love their job and other do not. The only difference is that we as people can express our mind more than the horses can.

I own 4 of the track TB. 1 is a 4th level Dressage Horse, 2 are Prelim Eventers, and the other is a wonderful trail horse. All four of them were bought off the track when they were retired. The owner and trainer did not just get rid of them because thy were not performing well, they were retired due to up and coming horses being faster then they were. They were all money earners and had wonderful career before their new ones. They are all sound except for the trail horse. He is sound from his racing days but unsound due to a injury in his field that was caused when he was playing and over-reached. (He ripped the back of his tendon.) I also have a boarder that has a retired TB. He is a wonderful horse for a very amateur rider.

All of my horses live in large two-acre pastures and they run and play all the time. They will race each other up and down the fence line for half the day. They are very competitive animals and are ridden 5-6 times a week and yet they still find the time to play. I do not think that training a young horse is a good thing but I do see where race trainers would look at the younger horses for speed. Like any sport there are good trainers and their are bad ones, not everyone is perfect.

One last thing about my Dressage horse, when he was racing the trainer sent all his horses out on the trail 2 days before their next race and a light work the day before. All his horses would go as a group and at least two 13-yr. old girls would ride them. They were not hot horses all amped up on feed. The Trainer and Owner raced for the love of the sport and not the money, (all tho they did very well).

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-02-02 11:51 PM (#54959 - in reply to #54661)

Expert

If you want to see damaged bones, X-ray a three year old cutting horses' hocks.

I think more tragically than body damage is mental damage done to young horses.  Imagine telling your 2 year old child to perform flawless tasks or you'll make him! 

Thank God I figured out from a wise old trainer early on:  They are just horses, they need to act like horses, and if you don't allow them time for it they'll do it while everyone is watching.

People like horses can't stand around and gaze at four walls all day everyday, it ruins their minds.  Ever visit an old folks home?

I do believe the topic has left the building...

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)