'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Featherlite or Keifer Built

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-01-18 8:19 PM
4 replies, 5487 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-01-17 2:32 PM (#53991)
Subject: Featherlite or Keifer Built

Veteran

Two trailers: a 2003 Featherlite and a 2004 Keifer Built Genesis: approximately the same size, similar packages.

the same dealer has both trailers and isn't pushing either but did say this about the Keifer Built, "

The Kiefer Built is a year newer, plus when they adhere the roof to the roof bows Kiefer Built puts the bows into a jig, pulls them down then they apply the adhesive and release the jig. What we have found out is that the roof bows do not come loose and start to sag. On the bottom frame, they use a 3"

flange verses a 2" flange on the I-beams. There are only 9" between each I-beam. The skin of the trailer does not have rivets, except at the nose.

Kiefer Built use a compound that when mixed and applied seals the skin of the trailer better to the frame. "

I don't understand some of the details here. Any help on the structural differences? Thanks.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
laxpatrick
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-01-18 9:16 AM (#54031 - in reply to #53991)
Subject: RE: Featherlite or Keifer Built

Veteran

Construction techniques are largely a matter of opinion.  There's the whole rivets vs. adhesive arguments, etc.  I don't think we can find an objective study that rules out one over the other, so you'll have to rely on good old opinions and experiences.

Both are fine trailers.  We have a 4H LQ Kiefer and I bought it because of the warranty (including the no-leak guarantee).  I also liked their use of certain biggier/beefier construction materials like you mentioned.

We've had our trailer for almost 3 years.  It's rock solid and the only warranty issue has been with a window that got itself out of whack.  The dealer replaced, no questions asked.  I can't see the need to buy another trailer for a long, long time.

Good luck with your decision - there's really no wrong choice between the two.  Both brands have a great track record of continuous product improvement.

LAXPatrick

Pleasure Man
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-01-18 9:55 AM (#54036 - in reply to #53991)

I have had both of these brands.  I am currently on my 2nd Keifer and I owned a Featherlite before I bought my 1st Keifer.

I think they are both good trailers.  I switched to Keifer because of the structural differences and the WARRANTY!  Both Keifers that I have owned have been Genesis (all alum.) models.  The floors, the roof, and the doors are the elements to me that make Keifer stand out in the crowd.  I have literally jumped up and down (with boots) in the back of my Keifer and the trailer does not move and their are no sounds!  The doors shut and open like deep freezer doors.  Very tight!  My featherlite was not as solid.

Now, I have had warranty issues.  But, Keifer has quickly taken care of anything with no questions asked.  The Keifer Genesis warranty is 3/8.  I don't think anybody else has a better warranty.  

One side note, the Keifer factory LQs are FAR better than the featherlite factory LQs.  Both of my Keifers have been factory LQs.

Hope this helps!

kyjoe24
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-18 1:44 PM (#54050 - in reply to #53991)

New User

I'm on my second Kiefer Built trailer. My first one was a new 2003 x440 with 8' LQ, I owned it for 3 years and didn't have any problems with it. I traded for a new 2006 8'5" wide 14' LQ in Nov 2005. I did have a minor issue with the trailer where when hooked up to my truck it had a small gap above the gooseneck windows where the side wall meets the roof cap. I contacted Kiefer Built about the problem and they asked me to take the trailer back to the factory in Sneedville, Tn. Mainly because the factory was closer to me then a dealer. The plant manager called me direct and provided me with his home phone number over the holidays so I could work directly with him on getting the trailer dropped off and repaired. I dropped the trailer off on Jan. 6th and picked it back up on Jan. 15th. They fixed it very quickly.  While at the factory I was given a tour of the factory. I was truely impressed with their manufacturing processes and quality. The plant manager was great to work with. I would not hesitate to buy another Kiefer Built trailer.

Pleasure Man
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-01-18 8:19 PM (#54087 - in reply to #54050)

Kyjoe24, I sent you a pm.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World